[COMPLETED] Kingdra

Th
We should either slash Focus Energy + Scope Lens first on the first set or make a separate set for it. Focus Energy + Sniper + Scope Lens means you crit 100% of the time and your crits do 2.25% of the original damage, meaning it's an even bigger boost than Nasty Plot. Not only this, but you can spam Draco Meteor freely after a Focus Energy, as the SpA drops are nullified by the crits that will always occur. This is the set:

<p>Kingdra @ Scope Lens<br />
Ability: Sniper<br />
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe<br />
Modest Nature<br />
- Focus Energy<br />
- Draco Meteor<br />
- Hydro Pump / Surf<br />
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Electric</p>

Hidden Power Fire OHKOes Ferrothorn with a crit, while Hidden Power Electric does 77% minimum to 252 HP Azumarill with a crit. Here are some other calcs (all crits):
  • Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand on a critical hit: 342-404 (84.65 - 100%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Goodra on a critical hit: 306-360 (79.68 - 93.75%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash on a critical hit: 252-297 (77.77 - 91.66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W on a critical hit: 289-342 (95.37 - 112.87%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • Kingdra Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn on a critical hit: 340-400 (96.59 - 113.63%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss on a critical hit: 316-373 (84.71 - 100%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges on a critical hit: 189-223 (52.5 - 61.94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
This...
Crit all the time... Yes please

I'm surprised no one has brought up how this gen allows kingdra to abuse his sniper ability. With the change in the way critical hits work, if kingdra is equipped with a scope lens and uses focus energy, he is guaranteed a crit on every turn. So he can utilize a set with draco meteor, hydro pump, focus energy and ice beam/any other coverage move.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm surprised no one has brought up how this gen allows kingdra to abuse his sniper ability. With the change in the way critical hits work, if kingdra is equipped with a scope lens and uses focus energy, he is guaranteed a crit on every turn. So he can utilize a set with draco meteor, hydro pump, focus energy and ice beam/any other coverage move.
They have. Multiple times. But QC has determined that it doesn't have a place in this metagame, so it's not being added. Kingdra has better things to do with its turns than try to set up a Focus Energy.

Last edited:
Once Pokebank comes out this set will be completely useless. With LO Keldeo you get much more initial damage than with this set and when you get a CM boost you still do more damage than this Kingdra set and you can't reliably sweep with Kingdra due to his mediocre speed and Keldeo is very fast and can reliably sweep. Also, if Manaphy isn't banned, Manaphy will also make using Kingdra redundant with much better bulk(leftovers included, which Scope Lens Kingdra can't have), better initial damage, a better boosting move(Tail Glow is 2.5 when Sniper Focus Energy is 2.25), and a reliable speed stat. This set looks great on paper but it's pure gimmick and it will stay in UU where it belongs because it's just 100% outclassed by other water-type threats and, since pokebank is so close I think it is important for everyone to recognize this and stop overrating this set.
While I agree that Manaphy is probably more useful in general, spammable draco meteor has significantly higher base power than Manaphy's surf, and should hit harder even after you factor in that tail glow is more of a boost than sniper and the fact that Manaphy has higher SpA.

While I agree that Manaphy is probably more useful in general, spammable draco meteor has significantly higher base power than Manaphy's surf, and should hit harder even after you factor in that tail glow is more of a boost than sniper and the fact that Manaphy has higher SpA.
And "spammable" Draco just means you can use it twice, once at 225% power, and then from that point forward it's not even like you set up in the first place. Who likes halving your damage every turn when you're trying to sweep?

And "spammable" Draco just means you can use it twice, once at 225% power, and then from that point forward it's not even like you set up in the first place. Who likes halving your damage every turn when you're trying to sweep?
You don't halve your damage, that's my point. Crits ignore the stat drops from draco. You do 225% of your normal damage even when you're at -6.

You don't halve your damage, that's my point. Crits ignore the stat drops from draco. You do 225% of your normal damage even when you're at -6.
Oh really, well then, I guess I underrated it a bit; however, it's still overrated because of you're mediocre, very unreliable speed stat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)