[COMPLETED] Scizor

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

[Pros]
<ul>
<li>Scizor has the most powerful U-turn in OU.</li>
<li>Scizor also has powerful priority in the form of Bullet Punch.</li>
<li>Its great typing leaves Scizor with only one weakness.</li>
<li>Scizor has incredible mixed bulk and great defensive typing.</li>
<li>Scizor is also a great Swords Dance Sweeper.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Scizor can no longer check Dark- and Ghost-types as well as it could.</li>
<li>Scizor is 4x weak to Fire-type attacks.</li>
<li>It's pretty predictable.</li>
</ul>

<p>Scizor @ Choice Band<br />
Ability: Technician<br />
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD<br />
Adamant Nature<br />
- U-turn<br />
- Bullet Punch<br />
- Pursuit / Quick Attack<br />
- Brick Break<br />

<p>Scizor is a great Choice Band user, mainly because of its typing, high Attack, and access to useful moves. U-turn gains momentum in the form of switch advantage, and works nicely with Scizor's low Speed stat. Bullet Punch allows Scizor to pick off Pokemon such as Gengar and Salamence. Brick Break offers coverage for Scizor, as it hits Steel-types such as Magnezone, who would otherwise wall this set. Brick break also wrecks Dual Screen-based offensive teams, as it shatters the opponent's defensive barriers. Pursuit allows Scizor to trap Psychic- and Ghost-types such asGengar and Starmie, eliminating them from the game completely. However, Quick Attack is an option to pick off Gyarados and Volcarona. The given EV spread maximises Scizor's bulk while maintaining his incredible power.</p>

<p>Rotom-W forms an incredible Volt-Turn core, as Rotom-W can beat all of Scizor's checks, namely Skarmory, Gyarados, and Tentacruel. Scizor, on the other hand can handle the Grass-types and specially defensive Pokemon that check Rotom-W, mainly Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Mega Venusaur. Becausethis set is often switching, Rapid Spin or Defog support is very important. This means Starmie and Skarmory make for good partners. Finally, Blaziken appreciates Scizor's ability to remove Ghost- and Psychic-types, giving Blaziken a clear sweep.</p>

<p>Scizor @ Life Orb<br />
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe<br />
Adamant Nature<br />
- Swords Dance<br />
- X-Scissor<br />
- Bullet Punch<br />
- Brick Break<br />

<p>Scizor can also run a really nice Swords Dance set. Swords Dance is used to boost Scizor's attack to very respectable levels. Bullet Punch offers strong priority, allowing Scizor to sweep through faster Pokemon such as Salamence and Gengar. Brick Break again offers coverage, nailing Magnezone. Finally, X-Scissor is listed for its consistency and STAB. A Life Orb is used to maximise power output - the EVs are designed to achieve the same goal.</p>

<p>Lucario pairs really nicely with this set, as they together break down each other's counters nicely for the other to sweep. Blaziken is also a great partner, as Blaziken can muscle through the Steel-types that can potentially wall Scizor, such as Skarmory. As always, Rotom-W is a great partner, because of the amazing synergy they both share.</p>

<p>Scizor @ Choice Scarf<br />
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe<br />
Jolly Nature<br />
- U-turn<br />
- Bullet Punch / Iron Head<br />
- Pursuit<br />
- Brick Break<br />

<p>Although Scizor is generally seen with a Choice Band, Scizor can also pull off a very effective Choice Scarf set. With fully invested Speed, Scizor can out speed Alakazam and anything slower, meaning Choice Scarf Scizor is one of the best checks to Alakazam, Starmie, and Gengar, regardless of whether they haveHidden Power Fire or not. A fast U-turn is very helpful for hitting Starmie and Alakazam before they can hit Scizor first. Bullet Punch is still very useful as it's strong priority, but the power output compared to the other sets is very different, meaning Iron Head is an option for more solid power and 30% chance for flinch. Pursuit traps Psychic-types trying to switch, removing them from the game completely. Finally, Brick Break nails Scizor's general switch-ins such asMagnezone for solid damage.</p>

<p>This set fits best on hyper offensive teams that appreciate Starmie being eliminated from the game. Gengar and Custap Berry Skarmory are the best partners for this set, as Gengar is the premium spinblocker for hyper offensive teams, meaning Skarmory will be able to keep its hazards up for the rest of the game. Lucario and Dragonite also make for good partners as they really appreciate Stealth Rock staying on the field, as it helps wear down their counters for a sweep.</p>

<p>Scizor @ Life Orb / Assualt Vest<br />
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Atk / 148 SpD<br />
Adamant Nature<br />
- Pursuit<br />
- Bullet Punch<br />
- U-turn<br />
- Roost / Brick Break<br />

<p>This Scizor set is designed to trap and eliminate a few troublesome Pokemon. The key differences between this set and the Choice Band set is that Choice Band Scizor is often setup bait for a lot of sweepers once it's locked into Pursuit. The EVs are used to give Scizor surprisingly good bulk on the Special side, and with Roost, Scizor can easily take on attacks such as Draco Meteor, Giga Drain, and Psychic repeatedly. Although Pursuit is the most important move for this set, it retains Bullet Punch for priority, and U-turn to gain momentum for Scizor's team mates. Roost is used to keep Scizor healthy throughout the match, and somewhat negates Life Orb recoil.</p>

<p>If Scizor is using an Assault Vest, 248 HP / 196 Atk / 64 SpD is the optimal spread, as this avoids the 2HKO from Life Orb Gengar's Focus Blast after Stealth Rock 100% of the time. Because you can't use status moves when using Assault Vest, Brick Break is the next best option over Roost.</p>

<p>This set works best with Fighting-type Pokemon, as Scizor does a great job in eliminating the Ghost- and Psychic-types that can potentially block a sweep. Strong attackers such as Lucario and Mienshao come to mind for this reason.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Fire-type moves hit Scizor for 4x damage and Fire-type Pokemon resist Scizor's STABs. Blaziken, Volcarona, Talonflame are all good examples. Steel-types resist both of Scizor's STABs and can use it as setup bait. Skarmory, Aegislash, and Magnezone are examples of this. Bulky Water-types are generally nice checks, so Tentacruel and Gyarados are great teammates. Bulky Ground-types such as Hippowdon and Gliscor do nicely versus Scizor. Finally, Pokemon that are faster than Scizor and resist Bullet Punch can easily revenge kill Scizor. Starmie, Jolteon, and Choice Scarf Politoed all fit this category.</p>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Scizor @ Scizorite<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 SpD<br />
Adamant Nature<br />
- Swords Dance<br />
- Roost<br />
- Bullet Punch<br />
- X-Scissor<br />

<p>Scizor also gains a Mega Evolution, which is bulkier than normal Scizor. With access to Roost, great defensive typing, and nice bulk, Scizor can pull off a bulky Swords Dance set nicely. With HP and Special Defense investment, Scizor can often find opportunities to start setting up. With 252 HP / 244 SpD investment, Scizor always avoids the 2HKO from Mega Gengar's Shadow Ball, while always 2HKOing back with Bullet Punch. Swords Dance boosts Scizor's attack, and after two or three boosts, it's hard to stop Scizor from sweeping. Roost keeps Scizor nice and healthy as it sets up, and allows Scizor to act as a tankmid-game for special attackers. Bullet Punch is STAB and offers nice general coverage, while X-Scissor is also STAB and and has consistent power and accuracy.</p>

<p>This Swords Dance sweeper is generally aimed at balanced teams, meaning bulky Grass-types that check bulky Water-types make for good partners. Amoonguss and Breloom are the best choices. Starmie makes for a good partner, - Scizor and Starmie have good synergy in terms of the Pokemon they can remove for each other, alongside Starmie's ability to clear the field with Rapid Spin. Lucario and Blaziken also complement Scizor nicely; Blaziken especially, as it can tear through Pokemon such as Skarmory, who would wall Scizor to no end. As always, Rotom-W is a great partner, thanks to their coverage and shared resistances.</p>

Last edited:
I wasn't around for its heyday, so I'm willing to defer to more experienced battlers on this, but I don't think SD Acrobatics is a useful set anymore. Some of its main targets, like Jellicent, Keldeo, and Landorus-T, aren't available in XY yet, so acrobatics loses a lot of its utility. I wouldn't even mention it in AC. The offensive SD set should be SD / Bug Bite / Bullet Punch / (Superpower / Roost) @ LO, with Adamant / Jolly natures.

You're already doing a pretty good job with this, but in the pros/cons section, concentrate entirely on Scizor and don't talk about general XY mechanic changes like "steel is good for fairies now, but watch out for ghosts". As we saw last gen in OU c&c, these type of bullets have a habit of getting repeated across many many analyses, worsening the overall quality of the strategydex.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also, has anyone confirmed Flying Gem exists yet? Or is at least obtainable? I thought something was mumbled that only Normal Gem is available.

Bulky Scizor should still have U-turn slashed into its Swords Dance sets. It was very popular for Generation 4 and worked solidly for 5. I wouldn't be surprised if 6 were the same.

Also - Superpower deserves a slash / mention in the Offensive Swords Dance set. And don't forget Assault Vest Scizor!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Isn't Assault Vest Scizor just worse than the Mega Scizor set SS listed above? True, it can reach 426 SpDef, compared to that Mega Scizor's 319. But it can no longer Roost or Swords Dance, and it also is slower, less powerful, and less physically bulky. That seems a rather bad tradeoff to me.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Isn't Assault Vest Scizor just worse than the Mega Scizor set SS listed above? True, it can reach 426 SpDef, compared to that Mega Scizor's 319. But it can no longer Roost or Swords Dance, and it also is slower, less powerful, and less physically bulky. That seems a rather bad tradeoff to me.
You also obtain the benefit of not having to Mega Evolve, leaving your Mega Evolution slot for other Pokemon.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Erm, Super Power isn't obtainable until December, hence why Brick Break is the move of choice for now. As for Flying Gem I'm not sure it's confirmed, but I'm going to be editing it soon anyway for reasons Snunch posted.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Erm, Super Power isn't obtainable until December, hence why Brick Break is the move of choice for now. As for Flying Gem I'm not sure it's confirmed, but I'm going to be editing it soon anyway for reasons Snunch posted.
Is Bug Bite obtainable then? Just making sure on that too.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is why Assault Vest should only be used on trapper Scizor, which has a moveset of Bullet Punch, U-turn, Pursuit, and Superpower (Brick Break for now). Basically, Choice Band Scizor with Scizornite and a different EV spread.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Also, has anyone confirmed Flying Gem exists yet? Or is at least obtainable? I thought something was mumbled that only Normal Gem is available.

Bulky Scizor should still have U-turn slashed into its Swords Dance sets. It was very popular for Generation 4 and worked solidly for 5. I wouldn't be surprised if 6 were the same.

Also - Superpower deserves a slash / mention in the Offensive Swords Dance set. And don't forget Assault Vest Scizor!
Actually, Scizor can't have Superpower yet because it is a BW2 Tutor move. How is there no Defog set on here? Scizor is a great user of Defog right now with a set of Defog / Roost / U-turn / Bullet Punch is really good right now. The EV spread and item are up for debate, but I would say some sort of SDef spread is best. Still, it needs to be on here, because it's a very important role that Scizor can now fill. It could possibly be on the Mega Scizor set, but SS and I have talked about this and we agreed that it's a waste of a Mega to use Defog on Scizor when you could use normal Scizor and do the same thing.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
just so you know a superpower is listed in the choice band set.

Furthermore, Bug Bite is still as of now a BW2 Move tutor move unless someone has found it via breeding.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/scizor.348958

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
Updated, ty Colonel M (AND HALYCON FOR BEING A SEXY MOTHERFUCKER). I'm not sure about Bug Bite, I'll start doing research

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
So I've updated the OP with a Defog set, and a Scarf set. I'm questioning how viable a Trapper set is with Assualt Vest, as you lose out on Roost, Defog, and Leftovers recovery. I feel the trapping is better done by other sets, or by a different Pokemon (Tyranitar, Mega Gengar, etc). If someone could provide strong reasoning as to add a trapper set, then I will.

Also, small note, but I have no idea for for what kind of EVs should be used for the bulky Swords Dance Scizor, but as a place holder I'm just using the old EV spread for the bulky Scizor back in gen 5 (which is obviously outdated for MegaScizor's impressive bulk). If someone could show me significant calcs or lead me to a gen 6 calc, that'd be awesome. Thanks.

Why do you have Jolly slashed first on SD, it doesn't beat anyhing important (unless i'm forgetting something worth the power loss, which is definitely nothing)

Same goes for max Speed.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
Eh, it was the SD Acrobatics set which allowed it to out speed most Tentacruel, but thanks for pointing it out. I'm changing it now

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You don't need to have Assault Vest as the only item on the Trapper set. You could make it like this:

move 1: Pursuit
move 2: Bullet Punch
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Roost / Brick Break
item: Life Orb / Assault Vest

Life Orb for more power and Roost, Assault Vest for more special tankiness. I don't know about EV spreads so you should probably make some testing. You could probably use the old EV spread for Life Orb and make up a new one for Assault Vest, which will be mentioned in the AC if you decide to slash Assault Vest second.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
I've added a trapper set, and made an EV spread of my own for Assualt Vest. 196 Atk / 248 HP / 64 SDef avoids the 2HKO 100% of the time from LO Gengar's Focus Blast. (meaning it avoids it from MegaGengar too). All I need to do now is change the EVs on bulky SD Scizor, but aside from that, I think this is ready to be QCed. Also, small note but I removed the second counters and checks section.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
No mention of Fell Stinger? I know it's not exactly the best move, but I think it could potentially deserve a slash on the Assault Vest set. With Technician to boost it, Scizor can grab a KO lategame off of a weakened Pokemon (that would probably be taking a U-Turn anyways) and grab what is essentially a free Swords Dance.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Can you justify the EV spread on the Defog set? Also, in your calcs for the Assault Vest set you should factor in SR damage. Finally, add a few partners for each set.

Oh and please no mention of Fell Stinger. That's why you have Swords Dance. Fell Stinger is so situational it's not even OO material.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
Eh, the EVs on the Defog set are mainly place holder, but the EVs allow you to avoid the 2HKO from Reuniclus' Focus Blast. However, I sadly have no alternative for if you decide to Mega Evolve, which we need to discuss. For the Assualt Vest set I already included SR in my damage calc.

"If Scizor is using Assault Vest as your item of choice, 196 Atk / 248 HP / 64 SDef, is the optimal spread, as this avoids the 2HKO from Life Orb'd Gengar's Focus Blast after Stealth Rock 100% of the time. Because you can't use status moves when using Assualt Vest, Brick Break is the next best option over Roost."

I've added teammates, and will go more into detail once this gets QCed.

Just remove mentions of Latios and Heatran and maybe Brick break also wrecks Dual screen offense teams since it shatters screens (if the mechanics are still the same that is).

QC APPROVED 2/3

EDIT: It took me a while to write this, therefore you must have removed it while I was typing this up.

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
I'm pretty sure I've removed all mentions of Heatran and Latios. I've also added the Brick Break description.

PLEASE DO NOT QC THIS UNTIL I HAVE FIXED THE EVS ON BULKY SCIZOR. I'm working on them as we speak.

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
Update.

252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 244 SpD Scizor: 127-150 (36.91 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

12+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 124-147 (47.32 - 56.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Theses calcs show that with 252 HP / 244 SpD Scizor, it always avoids the 2HKO from Mega Gengar's Shadow Ball, while always 2HKOing back. Ii think this is a get bench mark for now. I'm going to add these EVs in for now, but if anyone else thinks I should use a different bench mark please tell me.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)