[COMPLETED] Xatu

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Its Magic Bounce ability redirects all status moves and entry hazards that targets it.</li>
<li>It has access to a wide range of support moves.</li>
<li>Its typing bolsters its use as a Magic Bounce user.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>It is fairly frail.</li>
<li>It is weak to Pursuit.</li>
<li>It lacks offensive coverage and power, leaving it mainly using support moves.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>name: Physical Wall<br />
move 1: U-turn<br />
move 2: Psychic<br />
move 3: Roost<br />
move 4: Toxic / Reflect / Thunder Wave<br />
ability: Magic Bounce<br />
item: Leftovers<br />
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD<br />
nature: Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)</p>

<p>With its ability, Magic Bounce, Xatu serves as an excellent deterrent to entry hazards. Through U-turn, Xatu manages to maintain momentum for its team, while damage is primarily dealt through its STAB Psychic. Reflect is able to further support Xatu's team, while also preventing Xatu from taking serious damage from Pursuit trappers. Toxic allows Xatu to reliably wear down walls trying to set hazards, preventing what would otherwise be a PP war. Thunder Wave allows Xatu to cripple offensive sweepers that might attempt to use it as setup bait; however, it is important to note that Electric-types, popular switch-ins to Xatu, are immune to Thunder Wave.</p>

<p>Xatu greatly appreciates checks to strong Electric-type Pokemon such as Zapdos and Rotom-W. As a result, bulky Ground-type Pokemon such as Gastrodon make for excellent teammates, in addition to bulky Grass-type Pokemon such as Ferrothorn. Fairy-type Pokemon similarly work well, resisting Xatu's Dark-type weakness while also having a wide range of support moves. Sturdy physical walls such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, and Zygarde also make for reliable partners, being able to check powerful Rock-type Pokemon that target Xatu.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Electric-types such as Zapdos and Rotom-W are fantastic checks to Xatu. Their only main fear is Toxic, and they are able to threaten Xatu with STAB Thunderbolts. Rock-type Pokemon such as Tyranitar similarly perform well against most Xatu. Aegislash also serves as an excellent counter, being immune to Toxic and not worrying about Thunder Wave, while also resisting Psychic and U-turn. Multiple Calm Mind boosters are able to use Xatu as setup bait, especially if they have a way to cure status, making it risky to have Xatu on the field. Similarly, any moderately powerful special attacker is able to threaten Xatu greatly.</p>

Last edited:
Change ability to Magic Bounce.

I also think that Xatu is so offensively weak that he could work without Psychic and have more support options. I've also seen him used as a Wish pivot thanks to Magic Bounce and U-turn giving so much momentum.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Xatu greatly appreciates checks to strong Electric-type Pokemon such as Zapdos and Rotom-W. As result, bulky Fairy-type Pokemon generally work well, in addition to bulky Grass-type Pokemon like Ferrothorn. Sturdy physical walls such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, and Zygarde also make for reliable partners, being able to check powerful Rock-type Pokemon that target Xatu.
Here you say that Xatu has problems with Electric-types and then suggest bulky Fairy-types as partners. Why? I know that they are specially bulky, but there are other specially bulky Pokemon that fare better against Electric-type Pokemon, such as Goodra and Gastrodon, due to their type advantage. I know that Fairy-types also resist Xatu's Dark weakness but you have to mention the appropriate justification for each decision. If you want to justify using Fairy-types as teammates do it by mentioning that they cover its Dark weakness while also faring good against Electric-types.

Also, why Psychic and not Heat Wave? Without Heat Wave what are you going to do against Spikes users immune to Toxic, such as Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory?

Finally, mention that every single special attacker is a good way to deal with Xatu, as long as it is moderately powerful. Oh and mention Pursuit users as well.

have you thought about running a light clay DS set ? I think that is where the power of this pokemon lies, otherwise the other magic bouncer (espeon) seems like the better choice due to its ability to hit back and take advantage of the calm mind boosts offensively aswell as defensively

dragonuser

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Change ability to Magic Bounce.

I also think that Xatu is so offensively weak that he could work without Psychic and have more support options. I've also seen him used as a Wish pivot thanks to Magic Bounce and U-turn giving so much momentum.
oops fixed. I also really prefer to have Psychic on my xatu, but I will try this out~~

Here you say that Xatu has problems with Electric-types and then suggest bulky Fairy-types as partners. Why? I know that they are specially bulky, but there are other specially bulky Pokemon that fare better against Electric-type Pokemon, such as Goodra and Gastrodon, due to their type advantage. I know that Fairy-types also resist Xatu's Dark weakness but you have to mention the appropriate justification for each decision. If you want to justify using Fairy-types as teammates do it by mentioning that they cover its Dark weakness while also faring good against Electric-types.

Also, why Psychic and not Heat Wave? Without Heat Wave what are you going to do against Spikes users immune to Toxic, such as Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory?

Finally, mention that every single special attacker is a good way to deal with Xatu, as long as it is moderately powerful. Oh and mention Pursuit users as well.
Added to partners. Also, to the best of my knowledge Heat Wave is a gen 5 only move (bw2 move tutor iirc) so it is illegal in the pre pokebank metagame.

have you thought about running a light clay DS set ? I think that is where the power of this pokemon lies, otherwise the other magic bouncer (espeon) seems like the better choice due to its ability to hit back and take advantage of the calm mind boosts offensively aswell as defensively
Not sure how effective this would be in this metagame, will test it out.

future sight is worth a slash as combined with u turn it can work as a somewhat offensive pivot/lure, can lure your opponent into switching into a dark type pokemon which you can be ready to check/kill on the switch in or force them to take a pseudo mega kangaskhan hit from a more offensive pokemon.

dragonuser

thanks for the checks!

Even though Future Sight got a power buff, I'm still pretty adverse to using it on this set. Xatu's special attack is pretty pitiful making the damage output not that great. Also one of the few reasons Psychic is on there is to either hit something like a weakened Rotom-W on the switch, usually in order to knock it out, or prevent something from setting up on Xatu. In both cases, Future Sight has little use. Also if Xatu does have a free turn when it isn't U-turning or status'ing, its generally vs stall teams where Xatu's low Special Attack will do little damage to the bulky walls.

Also talked with Somalia and he agrees to no Future Sight.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP Check
Add
Remove
Comments

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>It's ability Magic Bounce Its Magic Bounce ability redirects all status moves and entry hazards that targets it.</li>
<li>It has access to a wide range of support moves.</li>
<li>It's Its typing bolsters its use as a Magic Bounce user.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>It is fairly frail.</li>
<li>It is pursuit weak weak to Pursuit.</li>
<li>It lacks offensive coverage and power, leaving it mainly using support moves.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Xatu @ Leftovers<br />
Ability: Magic Bounce<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD<br />
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)<br />
- U-turn<br />
- Psychic<br />
- Roost<br />
- Toxic / Reflect / Thunder Wave</p>

<p>With its ability, Magic Bounce, Xatu serves as an excellent deterrent to entry hazards. Through U-turn, Xatu manages to maintain momentum for its team, while damage is primarily dealt through its STAB Psychic. Reflect is able to further support Xatu's team, while also preventing Xatu from taking serious damage from Pursuit trappers. Toxic allows Xatu to reliably wear down the walls trying to set hazards, preventing what would otherwise be a PP war. Thunder Wave allows Xatu to cripple offensive sweepers that may might attempt to use its limited coverage for it as setup bait; however, it is important to note that Electric-types, a popular switch in switch-ins to Xatu, are immune to Thunder Wave.</p>

<p>Xatu greatly appreciates checks to strong Electric-type Pokemon such as Zapdos and Rotom-W. As a result, bulky Ground-type Pokemon such as Gastrodon make for excellent teammates, in addition to bulky Grass-type Pokemon such as Ferrothorn. Fairy-type Pokemon similarly work well, resisting Xatu's Dark-type weakness while also having a wide range of support moves. Sturdy physical walls such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, and Zygarde also make for reliable partners, being able to check powerful Rock-type Pokemon that target Xatu.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Electric-types such as Zapdos and Rotom-W are fantastic checks to Xatu. Their only main fear is Toxic, while and they are able to threaten Xatu with STAB Thunderbolts. Tyranitar and other Rock-type Rock-type Pokemon such as Tyranitar Pokemon similarly perform well against most Xatu. Aegislash also serves as an excellent counter, being immune to Toxic and not worrying about Thunder Wave, while also resisting Psychic and U-turn. Multiple Calm Mind boosters are able to use Xatu as setup bait, especially if they have a way to cure status, making Xatu a risky Pokemon to have remain on the field at times it risky to have Xatu on the field. Similarly, any moderately powerful special attacker is able to threaten Xatu greatly.</p>

Great job!

Last edited:
Rocky Helmet deserves a mention since Ferrothorns and Forretresses whill be 90% of the time using contact moves. The helmet punishes them and makes them easier to take down (especially since Heat Wave isn't legal yet). It also gives Pursuit Trappers and Seismic Toss Blissey a nasty surprise when they hit you.

what about a set with toxic, protect, heat wave and psychic?
Heat wave is great to counter many pokemon like ferrothorn, foresstress,etc.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
what about a set with toxic, protect, heat wave and psychic?
Heat wave is great to counter many pokemon like ferrothorn, foresstress,etc.
Heat Wave is a BW2 move tutor move and therefore currently incompatible on Xatu.

E - Shiruba: Yes, it is a level up move.

Last edited:
Is Night Shade currently compatible? A constant amount of good damage sounds pretty cool, particularly since Normal-types are quite rare in this meta.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)