Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Energy Ball
- Synthesis

I just started running this thing on a sun team. Shes weak to steel types and gets synthesis so it fits well next to CharY. And she does a great job of beating dragons. Energy ball is for killing Diancie but I could change to something else; maybe Hidden Power something - she doesnt have many attack options. I'll probably move some HP in defense or SpA in defense once I mess around with it more to see what I'd like to survive/kill. Its SpD is 154 so special attackers cant touch it.
Pretty cool alternative to CM sylveon imo

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Beats dark types. Better vs dragons.
Available to use in duu
If you run venu sun you can switch this guy in so Thundy cant twave you.

10 different looks. (5 color in shiny or non shiny)

Sometimes you just want to change it up and use something different

Last edited:
If you want swords dance talonflame, I would go with this set:

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Obviously it just prevents talonflame from killing itself as quickly and lets you switch in on resisted hits a lot easier. I think the this set is most effective when you are:

1) weaker to trick room than you'd like
2) consider your team really solid against megagross
3) dont really need much help with speed control

Replay of added bulk being useful:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-421417951

For example on this team I only have 1 other real trick room check in specs froggie (and toed isnt exactly the greatest check either), jirachi walls the hell out of and kingdra has a favorable roll to ohko megagross, and considering I have drizzle and rain dance on jirachi, I am pretty comfortable without tailwind

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I'd always run at least 48 Speed on Talonflame so that your Brave Bird goes before Adamant Kang Sucker Punch. Otherwise, bulky Talon sounds really interesting, might try it out

Talonflame (F) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 76 Def / 20 SpD / 52 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Will-O-Wisp

Fun Talonflame set I've used in VGC. Actually kingofmars, Ezrael (who got 2nd losing to Wolfe) and I used this set at Worlds. The team we used was (M-Gengar/DP/M-Mane/Bronzong), so WoW offered fun combinations with M-Mane/Gengar in Intimidate/Shadow Tag + burn

I think this set could be fun on Mega-Gengar teams.

Last edited:
Talonflame (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 76 Def / 20 SpD / 52 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Will-O-Wisp

Fun Talonflame set I've used in VGC. Actually kingofmars, Ezrael (who got 2nd losing to Wolfe) and I used this set at Worlds. The team we used was (M-Gengar/DP/M-Mane/Bronzong), so WoW offered fun combinations with M-Mane/Gengar in Intimidate/Shadow Tag + burn

I think this set could be fun on Mega-Gengar teams.
Im gonna recommend using a level 100 talonflame in this tier. It usually outclasses a level 50 talonflame.

Edit to make it productive: What benchmarks is that talon hitting in VGC and are the EVs hitting the same things at level 100?

Last edited:
Im gonna recommend using a level 100 talonflame in this tier. It usually outclasses a level 50 talonflame.
Haha yeah, I meant to change it. Sorry about that ;v;

Edit to make it productive: What benchmarks is that talon hitting in VGC and are the EVs hitting the same things at level 100?

Essentially the spread lives M-Kang's Return even w/o the burn, in the unlikely chance your Will-O-Wisp misses

52 Spe EVs allow Talon to outspeed most base 100 speed mons like Jirachi and Taunt whenever appropriate. Since this set doesn't use QG/FB I didn't think it would be worth to invest too much in speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Protect

I disagreed with the recent Swagger ban in DOU, but rather than let oppressive mods get me down I decided to make the best of it. With Swagger Thundurus gone, special electric types that check Thundurus have been given a slight boost in their viability. Raikou has always been one of my favourite Pokemon so I've jumped in a few ladder & room games with this set and it's been a blast.

The EV spread is a simple 252/252 spread. You need max speed (I guess 354 would be OK but might as well just max it out) so that Raikou can outspeed and threaten a broader range of opponents. I run this set with two intimidate Pokemon so I don't need to invest in Def and obviously CM boosts your SDef.

It's not too complicated, Calm Mind on special attackers (you're generally faster) and click Substitute when it won't get broken. There's a little more to it than that I suppose, but not much. Here are some replays that show how this set is not only effective, but carves out a niche for Raikou that no other build or Pokemon can quite fill.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-423425764 a fun game vs qsns using non srs teams. I'm including this because Raikou does stuff but also because Jynx sucks.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-423547792 Raikou gets up to +3 against LO Hydrei and CM Sylv. Pulls me out from a 6-3 deficit for the win (with Zard x). If you're only going to watch one replay here watch this one.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-423565367 It puts so much work in at the beginning of the game. Breaks down my opps team and making it easy for Lando to finish up.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-423595932 This guy forfeits early, but this replay shows how Substitute can be used to stall a turn when needed (though my opponent didn't end up targetting Raikou with Bisharp T2).

Some of these replays are obviously against not-so-serious teams, but you can get a pretty good idea of just how many mons Raikou can set up on & beat.
I guess I haven't quit.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Essentially the spread lives M-Kang's Return even w/o the burn, in the unlikely chance your Will-O-Wisp misses

52 Spe EVs allow Talon to outspeed most base 100 speed mons like Jirachi and Taunt whenever appropriate. Since this set doesn't use QG/FB I didn't think it would be worth to invest too much in speed.
OK have an actual DOU spread then, cuz VGC damage rolls are different

So 252 HP / 148 Atk / 60 Def / 48 Spe Jolly

48 Jolly beats out +speed 100s. 252/60 lives 252 (not 252+) Kanga Return as well as 252 (not 252+) Hoopa-U's Hyperspace Fury.

I couldn't find a roll that really mattered for SpDef among common DOU mons aside from like Salamence's LO Draco, but it intimidates, doesn't mind wisp, and can Hydro anyway, so I've ignored SpD. 148 Atk is the dump, which is enough to still threaten mons like Keldeo and Volcarona, etc.

OK have an actual DOU spread then, cuz VGC damage rolls are different

So 252 HP / 148 Atk / 60 Def / 48 Spe Jolly

48 Jolly beats out +speed 100s. 252/60 lives 252 (not 252+) Kanga Return as well as 252 (not 252+) Hoopa-U's Hyperspace Fury.

I couldn't find a roll that really mattered for SpDef among common DOU mons aside from like Salamence's LO Draco, but it intimidates, doesn't mind wisp, and can Hydro anyway, so I've ignored SpD. 148 Atk is the dump, which is enough to still threaten mons like Keldeo and Volcarona, etc.
Thank you so much! I'll be sure to update the original post

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

Rotom-Heat @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 76 SpA / 88 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 23 Spe
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave / Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

In an effort to make a Rotom-H set that we didn't hate, Nido-Rus and I threw this together on a team a few weeks ago and I've been really enjoying the results. The basic gist is that Volt Switch prevents a loss in momentum after the SpA drop from Overheat, and on the particular team, it was paired with Mega Gengar so the slow pivoting made for perfect trapping scenarios. Spread lives Kang Fake Out + Return and 2HKOs standard Jirachi with Overheat followed up by -2 Overheat, with the rest in SpD. I can't for the life of me remember why we wanted it to hit 180 Speed, but that's what the 23 IVs do.

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[15:15:18] xzern: revive my thread daddy

Victini @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Substitute
- Trick Room
- Protect

this is the most lit set
  • outspeeds loom and subs
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Victini: 253-298 (62.6 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Shuca Berry Victini: 108-128 (26.7 - 31.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
  • 252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Victini: 216-256 (53.4 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • you aren't walled by tran bc u get 2-3 turns to do something to it w/ your partner
  • offensive TR setter
  • V-create hits hard as fuck
  • super bulky even tho bad typing

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Overheat
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power / Sludge Bomb

KyleCole came up with the set but I came up with the EVs & Moves and I played with it so he gave me permission to post, ty!

Basically this thing can like zero switch ins, the only thing that reliably switches is in Cune which can easily be beaten with Volcanion's teammates. Even resists like Latios and Rotom-W can't switch in since they aren't bulky enough.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 136-161 (45.4 - 53.8%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO (guaranteed if burn)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Rotom-W: 135-159 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO (guaranteed if burn) [I know Sitrus but this is insane lol]

and then you have things like this

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Overheat vs. 108 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 382-450 (91.3 - 107.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 348-411 (99.1 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

tldr: no switch ins, outspeeds scarf lando in tailwind, extremely powerful

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-455794200 (i would of won if i hit heat wave @_@)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-455798421
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-455809896

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 100 HP / 156 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Fake Out
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 28 HP / 156 Atk / 72 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Protect

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Overheat
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Tailwind
- Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 176 SpA / 60 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield
defiant thundy is another cool kylecole came up with the set, i put it into play mon that helps vs. snarlcune

Last edited:

FloristtheBudew

I'm just tired
Basically this thing can like zero switch ins, the only thing that reliably switches is in Cune which can easily be beaten with Volcanion's teammates. Even resists like Latios and Rotom-W can't switch in since they aren't bulky enough.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 136-161 (45.4 - 53.8%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO (guaranteed if burn)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Rotom-W: 135-159 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO (guaranteed if burn) [I know Sitrus but this is insane lol]
[/hide]
Thing is who cares if you two hit ko Latios. You die to a life orb draco before you get a second hit off. Rotom would do a lot to you even if it switches into steam eruption. Not to mention since you are choice locked it limits what you can hit. Landorus does not mind being unconcerned about water moves if you lock into a fire move. Volcanion relies on being able to switch moves in order for it to be effective. Often it wants to switch up from using fire to water, due to how often pokemon resist one but not the other stab.

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Overheat
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power / Sludge Bomb

KyleCole came up with the set but I came up with the EVs & Moves and I played with it so he gave me permission to post, ty!

and then you have things like this

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Overheat vs. 108 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 382-450 (91.3 - 107.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 348-411 (99.1 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

tldr: no switch ins, outspeeds scarf lando in tailwind, extremely powerful

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-455794200 (i would of won if i hit heat wave @_@)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-455798421
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-455809896

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 100 HP / 156 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 28 HP / 156 Atk / 72 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Protect

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Overheat
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Tailwind
- Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 176 SpA / 60 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield
defiant thundy is another cool kylecole came up with the set, i put it into play mon that helps vs. snarlcune
I believe choice specs is a recommended item in Singles, which I disagree, but I have even more doubts in Doubles. I mean sure, it can come as a surprise at first, but for those who knows, it can be countered hard. I also agree with Florist; Volcanion needs flexibility so that it doesn't needs to be switch out and hit others with effective moves, especially considering that it has a mediocre speed level.

Lol, I didn't notice that it was Specs in our match, although Stratos Sun was fun to play around with. But that's definitely a nice Thundy set. GG

Last edited:

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Sky Drop
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Protect

This is my most recent attempt at making a consistent Thundurus set (for my team) now that swagger is banned. I was honestly super surprised how good this set is even when you don't use Sky Drop for setting up a partner (replays 1&3), but Sky Drop really is super clutch. I know that on my most hated team since my rain squad, this thing is going to become a mainstay, but I'm sure you could use this on a team less dependent on set up. Shame that SunMoon is coming out so soon because this really deserves more time than it will get.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-456030764 Thund gets a couple of clutch KOs, would've gotten another if not for flinching ;_; still a good showing

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-456911566 Sky Drop absolutely saving my ass, plus a couple of KOs. Consider the endgame my submission for "unluckiest doubles player 2016."

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-457045566 I maybe could've had this if I had gotten my flinches, but I definitely should've known Sky Drop mechanics better. Apparently it's supposed to ignore Follow Me??? Amazing. Anyways Thund gets like 100000% damage and a few kills

Ruby (Latias) @ Haban Berry
EVs: 154 HP / 8 Def / 80 SpA / 16 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Tailwind
- Protect

This is the best Latias set (besides Mega CM +Sub). The thing it has over Latios bulk and it's significantly stronger than Cresselia. The EVs survive a LO Hydreigon Dark Pulse and allow Latias to 2HKO 252 HP/ 172 Def Amoonguss with Psyshock. Latias's bulk allow it to set up Tailwind more easily than it's brother. Even without any investment in SpA, Draco destroys any Dragon-type that isn't named Kyurem-B (even tho you still OHKO non-Sub variants). This set is also really good for weakening the opposing team so a teammate can clean up. I used this set on a team with Zard X and AV Lando-T.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)