Detective Pikachu (Possible Spoilers)

Well, him and stage7_4. But out of the dozen or so of us OI regulars, that's still only two people.
Hey now, mine is clearly L.A. Noire - Pikachu Edition. Totally different.

Plus as the mystery thread founder, I am contractually obligated to take this moniker. Or "Kirby with Bayonetta-legs" was sooo 2015. Take your pick.

Now,
upload_2016-1-28_18-35-54.jpeg

Doubling back on what I said, since I did kind of bring up "make the story dark = MURDER!" we could still have a crime thriller without a single dead body. Since pokemon theft has been a compelling and common crime in the genre since its creation, there is a lot of story to that. It would be somewhere between human kidnapping and pet kidnapping in severity, depending on how much sentience you think pokemon have. They could even bring back Team Rocket! Taking down a criminal organization one case at a time! Or they could do Scooby-doo hoax cases too, for a lighter and softer route.

Despite the clear Sherlock Holmes aesthetic (Pikachu's hat and the trailer music especially), I keep associating this with a more Dick Tracy-esque crime noir despite myself. Anybody else doing that?

Pikachu: Sneasel the Squealer, what did you do to the moolah?
Sneasel the Squealer: Eh, bite me. I ain't nobody's stool Pidove.
Pikachu: Raticates. Now we've got no clues about the perp. We don't even have a sus because the sec with a mo's got a perf al.

Bottom line, I'm having more fun with what this game isn't so far then what it will probably be.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
We just got a ton of new screenshots.

Detective Chu likes to eat entire boxes of cookies, apparently.
This game is providing ton of great Detective Pikachu facial expressions:

(I can stop whenever I want... but now's not the time)

(Playa playa!)

(It's the hat. Chicks love the hat)

(Ach, why couldn't my partner be a Beauty?)

EDIT: Holy Arceus! stage7_4 not only beat me to it but he posted the exact same images. 0_o

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Some more pre-release info.
Serebii said:
Detective Pikachu likes coffee and asks Tim to invite attractive girls over for tea, but is weak around attractive women. Detective Pikachu, due to being able to talk, cannot use any moves and isn't very fast.
Mike Baker is head of the Detective Agency. Amanda Blackstone is the office assistant. Amelia Kristi is a new Assistant Director at a TV Station. Meiko Okamoto is a TV Director. Pablo Milan is the owner of the High Hat Cafe.
In the gameplay, you play as Tim as he has interviews with people and gathers evidence with the help of Detective Pikachu. In the gameplay, you walk around Rhyme City. Tim interviews humans while Pikachu interviews Pokémon. While exploring town, you can find spots to investigate. You can look for evidence by using a magnifying glass and moving it around the scene until you find something. If Pikachu notices anything, the bottom screen image of Pikachu will activate. Tap it to speak with Pikachu to get a hint or advice. Finally, there are elements with Quick Time Events where you have to push a button in time to perform an action, such as catching Pikachu after he falls from a tree. If you fail to do so, the following scene changes slightly. It doesn't affect progress, but just changes how things go such as Pikachu hitting Tim's chest rather than being caught. From there, you solve the crimes based on evidence. The example given is to find out where Aipom disappeared to.
Detective Pikachu likes coffee and asks Tim to invite attractive girls over for tea, but is weak around attractive women.
I want this game. Now.

EDIT: Holy Arceus! stage7_4 not only beat me to it but he posted the exact same images. 0_o
It's elementary my dear.

So it appears that game-play wise it's like a Telltale game (take your pick, but due to the fantastical mystery nature I'm recommending The Wolf Among Us)

And plot-wise it's Ted meets Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, which creepy lecherous Pikachu aside (Japan, really?) actually sounds cool. Like Pikachu is a liaison between Pokemon who can't speak for themselves and humans.

Although I'd also point fingers at some-mon's cookie addiction to the loss of battle potency, 'ya fatty.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's elementary my dear.

So it appears that game-play wise it's like a Telltale game (take your pick, but due to the fantastical mystery nature I'm recommending The Wolf Among Us)

And plot-wise it's Ted meets Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, which creepy lecherous Pikachu aside (Japan, really?) actually sounds cool. Like Pikachu is a liaison between Pokemon who can't speak for themselves and humans.

Although I'd also point fingers at some-mon's cookie addiction to the loss of battle potency, 'ya fatty.
Hey, a lot of people have been wanting fat Pikachu back, so for them Detective Pikachu just got better.

So apparently a lot of people are getting behind Danny DeVito being Detective Pikachu's english voice with 13k people already. Personally I'm supporting it. :D

Some more pre-release info.

I want this game. Now.
It does look interesting. I just hope it isn't creepy you know? Be nice if the QTE had a little Until Dawn about them with being able to change full outcomes not just catching or dropping Pikachu

While I'm sad that you directly control the human character (I want to play as Detective Pikachu! Or in other terms, I want to play as Smaug, not Bilbo Holmes, not Watson), I really want to play this. It sounds like a lot of fun.
Hey, a lot of people have been wanting fat Pikachu back, so for them Detective Pikachu just got better.

So apparently a lot of people are getting behind Danny DeVito being Detective Pikachu's english voice with 13k people already. Personally I'm supporting it. :D
I honestly would rather Lanipator doing his Dumplin voice*. I'm not kidding, whoever is in charge, make that happen!

*Seriously, if you haven't, watch Team Four Star's LP of Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, a.k.a., The Adventures of Dumplin. It's amazing and you will have a new favorite character.

Hey now, mine is clearly L.A. Noire - Pikachu Edition. Totally different.

Plus as the mystery thread founder, I am contractually obligated to take this moniker. Or "Kirby with Bayonetta-legs" was sooo 2015. Take your pick.

Now,

Doubling back on what I said, since I did kind of bring up "make the story dark = MURDER!" we could still have a crime thriller without a single dead body. Since pokemon theft has been a compelling and common crime in the genre since its creation, there is a lot of story to that. It would be somewhere between human kidnapping and pet kidnapping in severity, depending on how much sentience you think pokemon have. They could even bring back Team Rocket! Taking down a criminal organization one case at a time! Or they could do Scooby-doo hoax cases too, for a lighter and softer route.

Despite the clear Sherlock Holmes aesthetic (Pikachu's hat and the trailer music especially), I keep associating this with a more Dick Tracy-esque crime noir despite myself. Anybody else doing that?

Pikachu: Sneasel the Squealer, what did you do to the moolah?
Sneasel the Squealer: Eh, bite me. I ain't nobody's stool Pidove.
Pikachu: Raticates. Now we've got no clues about the perp. We don't even have a sus because the sec with a mo's got a perf al.

Bottom line, I'm having more fun with what this game isn't so far then what it will probably be.
Imagine how great it would be if it was like that :^) 10/10s everywhere

No need to be so anal about it. All I was saying was that it was funny that suddenly people had detective Pikachu avatars out of the blue. It's obvious not everyone has or wants one.
When I am being positive, I am being negative, and when I am being negative I am being positive...Actually...forget about the first part.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
As long as he says "Get up on the Hydreigon's back!" at one point, I approve.
Actually that's Robert Costanzo (DeVito only voiced Phil for the movie, every other time you heard Phil talk in movies or games (that wasn't sound clips) it was Costanzo) who often serves as a voice double for Danny DeVito (and I'd imagine any roles a movie couldn't get DeVito for they may turn to him next). He'd work too, people are saying Danny DeVito mostly for the name recognition.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So apparently Detective Chu got his hat from his trainer, who dies in a car crash at the beginning of the game.

WHELP.

EDIT: Serebii clarified the trainer just went missing and didn't actually die. I'm still trying to get details.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)