Detective Pikachu (Possible Spoilers)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Chu's trainer was the father of Tim Goodman (aka the player), Harry Goodman.

Last edited:
So the car crash caused Pikachu's deformed appearance. That explains everything!

Just kidding! But you can see what I talked about several posts ago, notice that flashback-pikachu has the "w" lip and smaller mouth, both lacking on uncanny-valley-chu. Can't say too much more about it, but I kind of like all the normal pokemon cameos they sneak into these cutscenes. Also that they seem to be running with how creepy and out-of-place this Pikachu looks, Detective-Chu shouts "Pika" like when my 6-year-old sister got my Dad to most begrudgingly play with her.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
So people on Serebii had beat the game in 5 hours, and are disappointed.
But I'd say it's not that bad for a low budget game like this.

Honestly, I'm interested in this, if only because of the way it seems to seamlessly integrate pokémon into a cityscape. I've only seen the video that Millky95 posted, but those few moments that showed a trubbish begging for attention and a noivern flying overhead somehow felt the most realistic and alive of any of the modern cities in Pokémon.

Well, spoiled myself on nearly everything. Check it out in the hide tab if you're curious to my thoughts.

1. Yeah, it's short. Like 3 cases only short. But it seems to be episodic like a telltale game, so we'll see.

2. Unlike a telltale game, the plot is pretty basic. Not that I had high expectations but I set the bar around "who stole the cookie from the cookie jar" and while it sort of cleared that hurdle, it wasn't by much. For one...

3. Every villain pokemon is what you would stereotype them to be: ghosts, dark types, or scary looking pokemon. No deeper meanings, no "don't judge a book by its cover," no wolves in sheep's clothing. Just what you'd expect. On the human half...

4. The human overall culprit is the only black man in the game. Probably unintentional but sweet jeebus Japan, did anybody on the QC staff proofread this?!

5. The good: Pikachu is hilarious in how out of place he is, and sometimes they do roll with it. So yay for being self-aware?

6. Some of the minigames look kind of fun, like one where you have to concoct a potion by following recipe clues. In fact, the puzzles are pretty fun so I guess go into this looking for more Layton-light and less Phoenix Wright (heh, rhyme. :))

Edit*7: One more pro since I feel I was being too harsh, the environments and settings are pretty atmospheric despite being pretty small. It really feels like being in a world with Pokemon and people.

Overall: it's not good, but not flat out bad. But since it seems to just be starting, I can't really be too critical of it. Like it's just warming up with cliche before getting better later? Or maybe I'm just being optimistic. Bottom line it's more a puzzle game than a mystery.

Last edited:
3. You know, your young players are not idiots. And it would be a good idea to instill the "don't judge a book by its cover" moral. I blame lazy writing for this, and the overall lack of length, and...
4. ...CLAP. CLAP. CLAP. Better fix that before an international release, because believe it or not, we in the States are not the only people sensitive to race issues. Simple fix: make him not black, I guess. This is Pokemon, I highly doubt anyone will complain about a lack of minority representation. But they will complain about minority stereotyping, especially into a villain role.)

3. You know, your young players are not idiots. And it would be a good idea to instill the "don't judge a book by its cover" moral. I blame lazy writing for this, and the overall lack of length, and...
4. ...CLAP. CLAP. CLAP. Better fix that before an international release, because believe it or not, we in the States are not the only people sensitive to race issues. Simple fix: make him not black, I guess. This is Pokemon, I highly doubt anyone will complain about a lack of minority representation. But they will complain about minority stereotyping, especially into a villain role.)
There are a few latino characters in semi-prominent roles so it's not an all white/Japanese cast. And they definitely didn't intend it this way. But then again there is such a thing as "casual racism" or institutionalized practices (i.e. what you do without thinking). So I'd say this is more unfortunate implications rather than anything deliberate.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Thinking about it... we all know that black people rarely show up in anime or games... but there's a high portion of black characters who are villains.
Perhaps there is some stereotyping/ casual racism involved.
Most Asians from Asia do believe that black people have higher crime rates.

Who are you responding to? Leave me oughta this.

Uhhh, they're responding to stage7_4 afaik. You were never even mentioned in that response??? Not to be rude, but no need to worry about that at all.
Sorry about the mess (lol) it's just that I always get the sarcastic clap response...

When is detective pikachu being released and is it only for the wii U?

This sounds really awesome! I hope there are multiple mysteries that all connect to one big case, kind of like Zootopia's 14 missing mammals all being connected.

This sounds really awesome! I hope there are multiple mysteries that all connect to one big case, kind of like Zootopia's 14 missing mammals all being connected.
(Or Zootropolis if you're from Europe) When I looked on serebbi there were only 3 cases, implying that each case takes a long time to complete. When is this game being released in USA and Europe and why was it only released in Japan in February?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*In thunderous voice* THIS THREAD, RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Yeah, been a while since we heard Detective Pikachu movie news but it's still happening apparently. This time its news of the director: Rob Letterman has been selected. Other movies Rob Letterman had directed is Shark Tale (which he also wrote), Monsters vs. Aliens, 2010's Gulliver's Travels (which the Pokemon site conveniently forgot to mention), and 2015's Goosebumps.

They also announced distribution details: Universal Pictures will release the film outside of Japan and Toho will handle it within Japan. They made sure to mention both were parters with Legendary.

They also said this film is a "groundbreaking live-action film". Tooting your own horn their, Pokemon Company?

Thoughts?

*In thunderous voice* THIS THREAD, RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Yeah, been a while since we heard Detective Pikachu movie news but it's still happening apparently. This time its news of the director: Rob Letterman has been selected. Other movies Rob Letterman had directed is Shark Tale (which he also wrote), Monsters vs. Aliens, 2010's Gulliver's Travels (which the Pokemon site conveniently forgot to mention), and 2015's Goosebumps.

They also announced distribution details: Universal Pictures will release the film outside of Japan and Toho will handle it within Japan. They made sure to mention both were parters with Legendary.

They also said this film is a "groundbreaking live-action film". Tooting your own horn their, Pokemon Company?

Thoughts?
It'll prolly be cringy af and I won't go and see it unless Danny Devito plays Pikachu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)