Dhelmise Discussion

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
So, I'd just like to talk about how well Dhelmise synergizes with Tyranitar, in order to form a very strong hazard controlling core. Essentially, its virtually impossible to remove hazards vs this core, as any Defoggers (Lati twins, Zapdos) give TTar a free swap in, and often die, while any spinners struggle to get past Dhelmise's sheer physical bulk, or just die to pursuit as well (starmie). Admittedly, I may be forgetting some of the newly introduced mons, but overall, it looks to be a very solid core. Additionally, they have absurdly good type synergy with eachother, as TTar takes on Dhelmise's Flying, Fire, Ghost, and Dark weaknesses fairly well, while Dhelmise takes on TTar's Ground, Water, and Fighting weaknesses fairly easily.

Just pair the core with a reliable cleaner, and some hazards setters, and you have a core that can prevent hazards from being removed, remove hazards itself, and trap anything that tries to take it on. It really should help out a lot of hazard stack teams to stay relevant, and very usable in the new meta.

Anything will out speed Dhelmise. Regardless, this will probably be OU.
Except for like, every other Pokemon that came out this Gen. Granted, low speed tier is never a good thing. I definitely agree on OU- spinblocker, has spin, good bulk, 3 powerful stabs, good defensive typing, gengar and talonflame nerf... I could go on.

Maybe this isn't the place to ask, but how the lmise do I catch this thing? I'm fishing where the Dex tells me to and keep finding just Magikarp and Wailmer. Is it another Mareanie situation, where it has to be called for help by a different species? Or is it just that rare?

Maybe this isn't the place to ask, but how the lmise do I catch this thing? I'm fishing where the Dex tells me to and keep finding just Magikarp and Wailmer. Is it another Mareanie situation, where it has to be called for help by a different species? Or is it just that rare?
There was a reddit thread about this, but I can't find it now. From what I remember, it's a 20% encounter if you fish in rare fishing spots, otherwise it's a 1% fish, but don't quote me on that.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
has anyone confirmed how much of a boost steelworker gets?
I believe tentatively Ultimario said x1.33.
As it turns out this thing is a little better than expected since the boost turned out to be 1.5x, so having 3 STAB options is really cool, especially since its Steel move option traps. I'm seeing that the Swords Dance sets actually look like pretty potent stallbreakers, and a Pokemon that can both stallbreak and spin actually has a decent chance in the tier. It's unlikely it'll get the usage to be OU, but it's still something that could be a B-rank threat.

Finally caught one. I know what I'm gonna be Wonder Trading once the game is out to make many lives easier.

Is Dhelmise our first and only non-Water fishing Pokémon? I can't remember if we've ever had a mon that was catchable by fishing yet not a Water-type...
EDIT: Oh, wait. Grimer.

Finally caught one. I know what I'm gonna be Wonder Trading once the game is out to make many lives easier.

Is Dhelmise our first and only non-Water fishing Pokémon? I can't remember if we've ever had a mon that was catchable by fishing yet not a Water-type...
EDIT: Oh, wait. Grimer.
Dratini too.

Dratini too.
Well, it seems I have derp'd. Of course, the nightmare that is Safari Zone Dratini. Thanks for reminding me of this, you sadist.

Back to Dhelmise though, it kinda weirdly reminds me of Klinklang and it's a shame it can't learn Autotomize or Gear Shift. Sure, it doesn't have any gears technically... But still. Oh well, at least it can be a Trick Room and/or Gyro Ball kinda guy.

Love the name, the third STAB and the in-game attacking animation. This gen has a lot of potential teammates for my favorite way to play - Doubles Trick Room - and I'm sure I will be testing Dhelmise out at one point.

trapping is broken. this thing has the potential to beat just about every Stealth Rock user in OU right now 1v1 with the exception of U-turn Lando and Heatran. I think people are seriously underrating how awesome it is that it has such a strong pseudo-STAB that can force the opponent to stay in against you.
I mean, it does have potential to trap things like that, but you have to ask yourself how often it'll actually happen in a real match? You have to hit the opponent with Anchor Shot first before you can trap them, and I know that I'm not going to be very eager to leave my Ferrothorn/Hippowdon/etc. on this thing regardless because they can't to anything to it. It'll take a lot of finesse to pull off a trapping set, and seeing as how this Dhelmise's signature move is a trapping move, it won't be hard for the opponent to guess what you're up to.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I mean, it does have potential to trap things like that, but you have to ask yourself how often it'll actually happen in a real match? You have to hit the opponent with Anchor Shot first before you can trap them, and I know that I'm not going to be very eager to leave my Ferrothorn/Hippowdon/etc. on this thing regardless because they can't to anything to it. It'll take a lot of finesse to pull off a trapping set, and seeing as how this Dhelmise's signature move is a trapping move, it won't be hard for the opponent to guess what you're up to.
And I'd agree that if it was purely a trapping set the mon would be way worse. The biggest benefit it gets from Anchor Shot is the pressure it creates for opportunities to Rapid Spin. Realistically, yeah, in a regular match you won't be trapping and killing stuff as much, but the threat of being trapped forces the opponent into linear strategies and puts the momentum on your side.

...ideally anyways. I can't speak as if I've used to mon and for all we know it could just be dead weight. I just think it's extremely unique and interesting as a Spinner.

Don't forget, if you Anchor something unfavorable as it switches in, the trapping effect prevents your opponent from switching on the same turn, so you'll deal some damage to whatever came in ,and have full freedom to switch in a counter in your favor without giving the opponent the option to double-switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)