Digimon discussion thread BEWARE SPOILERS

is there going to be 2 more episodes for the ova? It is really hard to be satisfied with this lame kind of ending and without explaining what happened to the 02 heroes which suppost to be part of the story in some way.

this is hurricane touchdown all over again (the japanese version that is)

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
there is no way omnimon could have won a fight against alphamon

also joe is the worst digidestined lol

RODAN

Banned deucer.
is there going to be 2 more episodes for the ova? It is really hard to be satisfied with this lame kind of ending and without explaining what happened to the 02 heroes which suppost to be part of the story in some way.

this is hurricane touchdown all over again (the japanese version that is)
its 6 movies, the first 4 eps were the first movies.

so theres gonna be 24 episodes total

To the people talking about no warp digivolving, please remember how infermon bodied greymon and kabuterimon in our war game. The sequential evolution in tri was to keep alphamon on his toes so he wouldn't gack them in mid-digivolve.

Ironic that Jo never arrives on time, as he is supposed to symbolize the Crest of Reliability... He might gradually become more a reliable Chosen Child in later installments of tri., right?

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
Super rushed episode 4 made me lose all the boner for this. Well at least Royal Knights are always cool.
Also apparently Koushiro x Mimi is canon, nice to know.

man, talk about a trip down nostalgia lane

I grew up watching dubbed so it took a while to get used to some of the names and voices. What I miss most is each Digimon announcing the name of their attack... that shit got me hyped as a kid.

The animation was good in some respects, especially for Toei nowadays (anyone who watched the first 6 episodes of Dragon Ball Super will understand) but the fight scenes felt... off, at times. Every bit of animation in the first movie and in most of the original TV series felt a lot more natural. I realize that the first movie is a very high bar to set, but the Greymon vs. Parrotmon fight from the first movie not only looked better than any of the Kuwagamon fights here, but also flowed much more smoothly in terms of, like, fight choreography. Omnimon vs. Alphamon looked good, but could have used less foreplay. Non-fighting animation was weird at times, especially with the sheer number of still frames or reused frames I noticed.

I'm having a really hard time understanding Tai's internal conflict. Maybe if they showed people getting hurt or even killed as a direct consequence of Tai and Agumon fighting, I'd understand why he's so conflicted - but if they're going to pan to just his broken cellphone and some rubble a dozen times in an hour and a half, I'm going to have a harder time sympathizing. Coincidentally, this isn't the best timing, either, as One Punch Man very recently had an episode where Saitama explains that he doesn't really care about damaging the city as long as he saves lives.

Overall it was solid - fantastic nostalgia trip, Butterfly 2.0, surprisingly entertaining slice-of-life scenes where the dialogue managed to shine and characters actually had personality.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Jebus McAzn lol your post is exactly what I wanted to say. I grew up on the dub too and usually watch things in English, but Saban really dropped the ball when it came to the score because having "Hey Digimon" during tense scenes just ruined all the drama and tension. Having the new arrangement of Brave Heart during Omegamon vs. Alphamon was absolutely amazing and epic.

Speaking of Alphamon, I'm so glad he is here because you know whenever Alphamon shows up it means some epic shit is about to go down on a grand scale. Can't wait to see what's gonna happen, I hope he has a huge role.

Tai is kinda hard to get behind, him being hesitant to fight and having strife with Yamato is cool and I like that but it's just hard to understand why he's so bothered after just one incident. I feel like there was something in the time skip we missed.

By the way, does Omegamon appearing mean that the previous films are canon? My friend asked whether the movies are considered canon or not and I said "when Omnimon shows up, if they are surprised, then the movies weren't canon, but if they know who he is, they're canon." Since Matt suggested they fuse I'm assuming that means the first time they already know about it, meaning the whole deal in Our War Game! did happen.

Overall though, tri. has been AMAZING so far. 24 episodes seems like a good deal to me.

(by the way guys, sorry if I alternate too much between Japanese and Americanized names, sometimes my brain just wants to spit out one and sometimes the other)

Jebus McAznBy the way, does Omegamon appearing mean that the previous films are canon? My friend asked whether the movies are considered canon or not and I said "when Omnimon shows up, if they are surprised, then the movies weren't canon, but if they know who he is, they're canon." Since Matt suggested they fuse I'm assuming that means the first time they already know about it, meaning the whole deal in Our War Game! did happen.
Omnimon (Omegamon) was canon since Digimon 02: in episode 27, Izzy explains the new DigiDestined that Paildramon was not the first instance of Digimon fusion, referring explicitly to Omnimon. Digimon 02 itself appears to be canon due to hints such as TK's 02 digivice and Genai's 02 silhouette. The question remains, though, whether 'Our War Game!' is canon, since in episode 27 no reference is made to Diaboromon or the reason why Wargreymon and Metalgarurumon fused in the first place.

The big questions now are what happened to Davis, Yolei, Cody, and Ken since their silhouettes appear taking damage in Tri episode 1 and no one seems to remember they even exist. They obviously were left out of Tri to pay homage strictly to the first series (Adventure), but there appears to be an in-story explanation to their disappearance relating Alphamon and maybe the distortions in space(time).

I'm having a really hard time understanding Tai's internal conflict. Maybe if they showed people getting hurt or even killed as a direct consequence of Tai and Agumon fighting, I'd understand why he's so conflicted - but if they're going to pan to just his broken cellphone and some rubble a dozen times in an hour and a half, I'm going to have a harder time sympathizing. Coincidentally, this isn't the best timing, either, as One Punch Man very recently had an episode where Saitama explains that he doesn't really care about damaging the city as long as he saves lives.
I agree that Tai's internal conflict seems so-far unrelatable. As you said, perhaps if they showed actual people getting hurt it would work. An alternative could have also been if Tai proposed a more pacific way of dealing with the infected Digimon, instead of just freezing and not doing anything. He did have a line saying something like 'I am different from back then', which could imply something happened between the timeskip, but taking it at face-value, Tai's struggle comes off as weak.

Something I found weird was that in episode 1, Tri seemed to be establishing that the gang was separated with everyone doing their own thing. However, from the battle at the airport onwards, they all get along fine and hang out together again. Maybe it was just me and the sequence was just meant to show what everyone is up to nowadays, not really implying disunion, but it still fell weird.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
^That's because the progression makes sense in a movie pacing and not when translated directly in an episodic pacing. Yeah I finally got around to watching this now. Omegamon evolution was rushed, but I kind of understand it, but lol @ the rushed greymon/wargreymon/metalgreymon/garuramon/metalgaruramon/wargaruramon frames. might as well could have skipped straight to omegamon. Could have had a few few fodder fights to show off the other forms instead of wasting the ENTIRE episode three on stuff that could have been done in 10-15 mins tops.

I don't really have patience for Taichi's "conflict". I get it that the digidestined are questioning their essential values (Taichi questioning his bravery/Joe's reliability etc) but it's too contrived. If you don't fight more people die. It's simple lol, no need for an angsty existential crisis.

Also the other digidestined really need to start using AT LEAST their Ultimate forms more. In four episodes they have already served twice as fodder and it's kind of established that the champion formes are borderline useless now with the power creep.
It's kind of retarded that they still do that while while Taichi and Yamato already get all they way to DNA digivolution. I mean they probably wouldn't have won against Alphamon but could have probably held their own for more than all of 5 minutes, especially with combined prowess. Just makes it too imbalanced imo.

Also people saying the animation was better back in the day get your nostalgia goggles off lol. The first anime was actually a very low budget affair. Those horrible reused frames and distroted proportions were a proper eyesore. They absolutely did-NOT look natural and didn't have the old school hand drawn charm like some other anime have (Coboy Bebop's amooth style comes to mind). I think most of us watched it because of the cool concept.
This new animation is objectively much better in every way whatsoever.

Last edited:
Agreed that a lot of the animation from the TV series doesn't hold up compared to some of today's stuff, but I maintain that the animation from the first few movies was leaps and bounds beyond what we saw in part 1 of tri. In many scenes in tri, it looks like someone took Kuwagamon's model and just copy-pasted it horizontally across the frame. Again, I don't expect it to live up to the same standards of Our War Game!, but if you're rebooting one of the most beloved series from the 90s in a time where you have to compete with things like UBW and One Punch Man, I expect better.

Also agreed on your other points. I'm hopeful that the other Digidestined are going to play a larger role in this series, especially regarding getting proper Mega forms for their companions. The Digimon Adventure game for the PSP released two years back had Megas for all of the Digidestined as opposed to just Tai and Matt, so it hopefully shouldn't be too hard to include them here in Tri.

I hope they learned from their mistakes from the first movie. It felt really inconsistent that Matt suggested Omegamon while everyone was using their Champion Form only to show terrible frame shots of each evolution state from Agumon and Gabumon until they went to Omega.

Alright, part 2 is a marked improvement over part 1. It's still got its fair share of issues, but overall it's a better package.

The dialogue is so so so much better than in the first movie, and character interactions feel natural. During Reunion, I only really felt that way about a few lines (Taichi making fun of "Knife of Ramen", any scene with Izzy(Izumi)/Mimi banter). These first three episodes were basically Digimon SoL fanservice, which I'm totally okay with, and were executed extremely well. That being said, I would have liked a few more infodumps instead of an hour of uninterrupted SoL, or a few more quick shots to the Leomon/Ogremon conflict, or some actual explanation as to what Ken and that weird hooded Digimon are doing.

The fight scenes (mainly the last one vs. Imperialdramon) looked quite a bit better, too, though I'm still annoyed that they're Digivolving and shooting off an attack between each stage before continuing. I guess it's to show off the animation - it's the first time we get to see these Digivolutions in a long time, so they'll probably be more concise with it in future episodes. The Togemon + Meicoomon vs. Ogremon fight was nothing special, but looked a hell of a lot better than any of the Kuwagamon fights we got in Reunion.

This part dealt with Mimi and Joe's inner conflicts; I thought Joe's storyline was done amazingly, whereas I didn't really care for how they dealt with Mimi's conflict. Again, both are a great improvement over Tai's nonsensical inner struggle in Reunion, though I do think the Tai / Yamato squabble should have been resolved in these four episodes. Determination also does a great job integrating Meiko into the team, which is the main reason why this part was so light on the action scenes. Overall, I think the pacing is more suited to a two-cour TV series instead of the 6 movies that they're planning, but I understand that it probably wasn't feasible to do Tri as a two-cour anime.

Miscellaneous thoughts:

I want to protect this smile

Are these two fucking or what?

RODAN

Banned deucer.
alright harebrained theories time

ok so at the end u see hime-chan have this fucking smirk

leads me to believe that she must have set literally everything up, like when she sent the text of mimi to izzy, that was to get him to the school and leave the digimon unattended i think. and then fucking after that she volunteers to check on them to guarantee they are at the festival. and then AFTER THAT she takes meicoomon to right where the distortion appears. shits fucked man.

another thing i noticed, was that meiko's digivice got corrupted, just like kens in 02. Maybe the dark ocean will see a return? that was always a weird plotline that never went anywhere. (they could make karis movie about it)

non theory: joe has always been the character i related to most, and was my favourite as a kid. so all the joe moments in this movie really hit home for me, i just absolutely loved everything relating to his character. I also think mimis mini storyline was perfect for her, as she was never one to let things bug her for too long and is good at moving on with life, very consistent with her original character.

i loved this shit man, i legitimately got so hyped when i saw vikemon

I am right now at Episode 2 of the second movie and it is really hard for me to take that seriously.
Unnessecary forced character crisis was the problem in the first movie and here is repeats itself.

Why would Togemon use a move that fires needles everywhere considering it could even hurt her partner, why didn't it just go Perfect/Ultimate and use that flower move to make Ogremon nice again or continue to punch the shit out of it?
And why the hell do they even need Joe for 1 fucking Champion level Digimon? We know all of them have access to their Perfect forms and Omegamon/Omnimon from the last movie.
At least the animation quality improved but being better for Toei standards doesn't say much.

I would like to ask a couple of things. So I've been reading through this a little, and I'm still confused. Is the new Digimon series a series of movies, episodes of a TV show, or both? I'd love to start watching them but I'm not sure which it is. And, what do I start with? Is there an English dub or should I just read English subtitles? Are these available on YouTube to watch?
And is my Joe/Mimi ship real?

AlsoI made the horrible mistake of introducing my 5 year old brother to the original Digimon when I was bored one day and decided to turn on a show I knew I'd enjoy. He watches it all the time now and it is slowly making me dislike the show. I still like it though. As a warning to you all, don't show Digimon to those under the age of 6 because they will slowly drive you insane.

HelenTheHero It's a series of movies, which most likely won't be dubbed in English. If they are released in the western world, they'll probably be subbed.

EDIT: It's just baseless speculation, so I'm not sure how these movies are going to be localized properly, if at all. Regarding the subs and recent Digimon merch, look at Cyber Sleuth. The game wasn't actually dubbed when it received localization, so I wonder if the same thing will happen with tri.

Maybe it's just going to take a really long time, as with Savers and Xros Wars?

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RODAN that is so beautiful man :pirate:

I for one though really related to Mimi's subplot, especially because she was never actually that memorable to me as a kid in Adventure and 02. I really relate to her because I am also extremely energetic and passionate sometimes to the annoyance of others. But I am also extremely positive and am never one to get held down by negativity or hold grudges against anyone. I absolutely loved her line about assertiveness and confidence: "Being quiet in front of people means you're just complaining later." That really moved me, even though I guess it wasn't really that profound. I loved how Mimi and Joe's subplots ran parallel with each other and I really hope the Mimi/Izzy thing is just misdirection because she honestly belongs with Joe and yeah, I don't believe that he has a girlfriend either LOL.

I also like how they took Hikari, an underused character so far, and wove her into Joe's story to at least give her some screen time and character development too. And Gomamon was actually a character too. Amazing yo. I love how they're giving every character the limelight and I love how reserved they were with Joe, setting it up in part 1 but not having the actual payoff until the very end of part 2 (I don't think they could have waited any longer because the plot does need to get moving eventually).

There is some stupid stuff though, like I hated all the cutesy-wutesy crap with Meiko and Meicoomon. I wish they had some real characterization. I wanted to know more about who Meiko really was, not see her be shy and all that. So far Meicoomon is the real character and Meiko is kinda just there. It felt like almost an entirely different show with the subplot of Mimi teaching Mei to be more confident and all that. Maybe I'd care if we knew more about her but we really don't beyond she is cute and shy. In the next movie I'd like her and Tai to do something together. I'd also like Sora and Yamato to do something together because aren't they supposed to be together at this point in the story?

Aside from that I am glad they are bringing stuff from 02 back even though they didn't really say much about it. I dunno, I figured they'd be wondering where all the other kids are or something, but they don't even mention them. Ken being back is kinda cool but I don't want him to be a bad guy again though...I'm hoping he's just corrupted by the virus or something, not that he turned evil through his own free will because we don't need to go through that again.

Imperialdramon fighting though was awesome, because as far as I remember Imperialdramon barely ever fought in 02, he would always turn to Fighter mode straightaway. So it was cool to see him fight in dragon form. I also have to confess from the poster I didn't even realize it was Imperialdramon, all I could think of was Malefic Paradox Dragon from Yu-Gi-Oh! (even though they didn't look quite the same) or DoruGreymon...throughout the movie I thought it was the Mega form of that new hooded little Guilmon-looking guy we saw.

I know killing Leomon is a tradition, but I didn't think they'd do it this early. Oh well though, it was a nice way to establish Meicoomon as now a threat. I just hope they don't so easily forget Leomon or something once they turn Meicoomon back to the good side.

Overall though this was amazing as usual, I love the direction this series is going. It definitely did a great job of aging alongside the target audience since we're all big grown ups or something now. And I like how they're not afraid to use stuff from beyond the original series, and it's paying off so far. Now I wish Star Wars could take a few pages from that...

alright harebrained theories time

ok so at the end u see hime-chan have this fucking smirk

leads me to believe that she must have set literally everything up, like when she sent the text of mimi to izzy, that was to get him to the school and leave the digimon unattended i think. and then fucking after that she volunteers to check on them to guarantee they are at the festival. and then AFTER THAT she takes meicoomon to right where the distortion appears. shits fucked man.

another thing i noticed, was that meiko's digivice got corrupted, just like kens in 02. Maybe the dark ocean will see a return? that was always a weird plotline that never went anywhere. (they could make karis movie about it)
The one thing that doesn't add up for me in this theory is that she seemed super surprised to see Ken and I don't see why she had any reason to fake it at that moment. And don't the distortions kinda follow Meicoomon though? I mean Alphamon happened to show up where she was. Maybe it was just a coincidence though because they have shown up away from her (like first time with Ogremon).

Everything else is super suspicious though, especially the smile. But I think she will turn out to be a "ends-justify-the-means" character and eventually go through the "learn you can't sacrifice anyone even for the greater good we have to find another way" character arc and be a good guy in the end.

Damn all this setup and buildup though, we're not going to get any more until SEPTEMBER and we've still got ages left 'till September. It'll be hard to wait for but I'm confident it's gonna be satisfying.

Isn't this supposed to be 6 movies though, or has that changed? I can't see any announcement for when the supposed next three are supposed to come out.

Sorry for the super long post y'all, I really love this series a lot more than I thought I would.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)