Disconnecting in Global Link matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only circumstance i could aprove a disconnecting or even disconnecting myself would be if my game showed me his love haxing me to death.
Also every victory i could archieve was againist a D/C'er and my lovely random record stills in 0 wins

I tend to agree with Ashenlock's statement about Japanese and Western players.

Also, ryik7, if you hate disconnecting when you're going to get a loss - don't play the game. You're just ruining it for the players who do beat you fairly. You're seriously going to have to grow up if you can't handle a loss record, because there's a lot of worse things to "lose" at than Pokémon in life... Take a look at your win count and see how hollow it is compared to your losses. Learning to lose is part of learning to enjoy the game more.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I seem to be getting far more DCs in doubles than in singles.

On Friday I played 9 matches and got 7 DCs
Yesterday I played 22 matches and got 14 DCs (if my memory calls)

What Ashenlock said is seems to be true as well. I've been getting a fair number of Japanese DCs, and my wincount is low in doubles (somewhere around 15 to begin with, 32 currently).

The only circumstance i could aprove a disconnecting or even disconnecting myself would be if my game showed me his love haxing me to death.
Also every victory i could archieve was againist a D/C'er and my lovely random record stills in 0 wins
Did you meet my Jigglypuff lead team at some point (usually in triples along side Amoonguss and Reuniclus)? I run Attract on the Jigglypuff.

RockinX

My goal in life is to make everyone cringe with my puns
is a Contributor Alumnus
I had an interesting experience yesterday. The game said "The connection to the other player has been lost" just as the game was ending, which implies that the guy disconnected (when there's a connection problem, it displays another message).

Now, the thing is that I was about to lose because of a flinch. I can't remember the nationality of the dude, but I think he was Japanese. May God bless that person. He has inspired me to do the same may I win solely because of hax.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
I had an interesting experience yesterday. The game said "The connection to the other player has been lost" just as the game was ending, which implies that the guy disconnected (when there's a connection problem, it displays another message).

Now, the thing is that I was about to lose because of a flinch. I can't remember the nationality of the dude, but I think he was Japanese. May God bless that person. He has inspired me to do the same may I win solely because of hax.
Hax is part of the game. If I win by hax, I just say meh, and move on. Stuff like this happens. If I lose I get a little pissed, but it happens. If i or my opponent was to d/c after winning by hax you'll never truly learn how you fare as a trainer, thus making it hard to learn how to prevent losing to something like hax. The better team will win, and the team of equal standings will come down to outpredicting or hax.

RockinX

My goal in life is to make everyone cringe with my puns
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hax is part of the game. If I win by hax, I just say meh, and move on. Stuff like this happens. If I lose I get a little pissed, but it happens. If i or my opponent was to d/c after winning by hax you'll never truly learn how you fare as a trainer, thus making it hard to learn how to prevent losing to something like hax. The better team will win, and the team of equal standings will come down to outpredicting or hax.
I know that, but you can't deny that it's frustrating for the one that got haxed. It made me feel a lot better when he disconnected knowing that would have probably lost had I not flinched. I think I can make people feel a little better by disconnecting if I'm winning because the other guy got haxed to death.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
I know that, but you can't deny that it's frustrating for the one that got haxed. It made me feel a lot better when he disconnected knowing that would have probably lost had I not flinched. I think I can make people feel a little better by disconnecting if I'm winning because the other guy got haxed to death.

It's not like I play rated or something.
Yea I get pretty darn mad, at losing to hax(well losing in general), but most of the time the person who wins by hax is the one getting d/c'd on( this is actually a ironic case here), but yea I see what you mean, about making the opponent feel better.

I gotta say, everytime I see Minimize/BP Drifblim, which usually is in sand giving the stats to Garchomp, I gotta nail my hand to the table to keep from D/Cing that BS.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Hey I got a easy solution to this: Win.
Not a hard concept, but when it comes to online play like this the concept of winning becomes pray your opponent doesn't d/c. But to me if you build a solid team that wins 80% of the time theres no need to cry about d/c. Look d/c happens, and if your playing gbu be prepared for it.

@ryik7

I don't really know where to start with that. I don't want to make this a "gang up on the one guy with a different opinion" situation because that sucks, but I disagree with most of what you're saying.

I can handle losses, but they give you a choice. I choose not to add losses. If I have the choice, THEN lose, I'll regret it until I redo my game from the beginning to reset my record.
I disconnected exactly one time, when I had played about 30 matches. I have played a little over 1500 matches now and the thing that still bothers me the most is that one freaking D/C I did that will forever taint my record. If I met the guy I D/C'd on again I would forfeit against him immediately to give him back the win, in spite of that he had a terrible team, in spite of that he was winning by sheer luck, because I cheated him of the victory that was his through winning by adhering to the rules we both knew and accepted. How can having a false record be better than having an honorably achieved one, losses intact? Why is it better to have a "hidden" number of D/Cs instead of a visible number of losses? Do you disconnect on people so often that that number is too familiar to be bothersome?

The game does not give you the choice to D/C on someone any more than it gives you the choice to cut the power while it's saving. Neither is an action sanctioned by the game, whether physically possible or not, the latter because it's for the cartridge's own good and the former because it inconveniences others. It doesn't just inconvenience others, though, it gradually makes them more jaded and beat. What kind of life lesson are kids being told? "Do your best, exercise your talents, work hard... but no matter how hard you try, your success is in someone else's hands?" "Deprive someone of his rightful victory, because it momentarily bothers you?" If it isn't as bad as to have real life effects, it's still something that's turning people off of playing video games competitively, and that's part of the beauty of games, and I think honest sportsmanship is one of the few qualities they have that are keeping them safe from pissed off soccer moms who want to censor everything.

Don't cite the "OCD" point of view. I'm bona fide OCD myself; I can't stand dirty crumpled paper towels, unevenly chewed pencils, and I have to adhere to a pattern whenever I'm walking somewhere (seriously). Yes, it does suck to be bothered by things like that pretty much every day. But the thing is, you have an option to escape that with a game. Why would you seek a video game like Pokemon, a game that can never be 100% completed like many games, if you're bothered by a loss count?

Why do people dislike disconnects? Because they won and demand their record to say so so that people regard them with relative awe, or as an achievement for theirselves.
Winning and expecting rewards/results is the number one thing that drives the world forward. I don't mean to get into a socio-political debate, but I think it's hard to deny that. It's the same way in Pokemon. People want glory and renown, so they work hard, very hard, and reach new echelons of knowledge and skill in the game. Not only is that not wrong, it's beautiful! This is how new inventions are made, this is how sports have become more developed and strategic. Not a pessimistic fear of loss and removal, but the optimistic hope for victory and achievement!

-----------------------------------------------------

I want to reiterate: I don't want to make this a gang-up-on-one-dude issue. If you feel like you've been pushed into this side of the argument and have to defend D/Cing because people have unfairly made you the representative of all that is and has to do with disconnecting, then I'm sorry. However, I hope you understand that there is little justice in disconnecting and depriving somebody of a win based on a refusal to cope.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Clearing out some of the air before it escalates more here.

It's clear that a majority of our community wants to be upheld to specific standards when playing, and as Ashenlock put it, we don't want to cheat people out of their wins. If I know I'm going to lose, whether it's for crucial hax or not, I either play it out or run. I hope that in the future if the tables are turned, my opponent won't D/C on me.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
So i was laddering today and made it to 1759, and after this battle I had against a player who had well over 100 over me(i was at 1692, and opponent 1868), I began to wonder what gives the player the "right" to disconnect. This is what I believe warrants the right to d/c:

battle video#:70-86331-22044

To summarize he/she probably would've won on the 1st turn, but hax screwed him/her over, and then rewarded me a crit right after.

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
just started battling on free mode and already "forced" the first disconnector xP
seriously how can you not take a lose when obviously you use RNG abused pokemon + Garchomp? =.= Funny thing is that the guy would never send out his last pokemon... maybe he was hoping I would get bored and forfeit first? dream on! xD

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
So i was laddering today and made it to 1759, and after this battle I had against a player who had well over 100 over me(i was at 1692, and opponent 1868), I began to wonder what gives the player the "right" to disconnect. This is what I believe warrants the right to d/c:

battle video#:70-86331-22044

To summarize he/she probably would've won on the 1st turn, but hax screwed him/her over, and then rewarded me a crit right after.
To be fair, that's the risk you take when you use moves that aren't 100% accuracy.

I gotta say, everytime I see Minimize/BP Drifblim, which usually is in sand giving the stats to Garchomp, I gotta nail my hand to the table to keep from D/Cing that BS.
same, or if the minimize then baton pass to something that spams a 1-hit KO move... No skill req..

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
As crazy as this sounds, I had someone Run Away on the first turn, before any attacks fired off, without disconnecting. Granted he did have a very unfavorable lead matchup versus me, which happens, but 99% of the time people will outright DC instead of run away.

That's the kind of player I can respect.

You know what I don't get?

How do people accumulate ratings of over 1700? My highest rating is in the 1600s and has been frozen there because it takes like half and hour to find a battle, and half a lifetime to find a battler who doesn't D/C.

W-L-DC currently at 24-13-140+

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
The solution is win and don't lose. Just as the autumn friendly tournament shown, there are a gazillion of d'c's. So win the matches where there aren't d/c's and your set to make 17+. This is coming from a guy who has a unbearable amt of d/c's against him. Thats not gunna stop me though.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Although that is obviously the best advice (win lol) it can become frustrating and difficult when every time you beat a player they disconnect on you, cheating you out of your win essentially.

Both last night and tonight I thought I'd just boost my Launcher rating a bit... I think the # of opponents found to ragequit ratio is the highest in these types of battles, it's just crazy. Even more annoying when you lose to someone, then you find them again in the next battle, win, and they disconnect. That guy was apparently Japanese too.

Solace

royal flush
The amount of disconnects I've gotten in free mode lately has been astounding, all from Japanese players when the first turn or 2nd turn goes in my favor :/

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I just had an epic 17 minute doubles match with a japanese dude with 1100 wins, the longest doubles match I've ever had. And of course the fucker disconnects at the very end when I win.

Seriously, the fight must have been 20 turns or something.

I just had an epic 17 minute doubles match with a japanese dude with 1100 wins, the longest doubles match I've ever had. And of course the fucker disconnects at the very end when I win.

Seriously, the fight must have been 20 turns or something.
In addition (held over from Triple Battle Metagame thread), I have had multiple people d/c on the Win/Loss screen on me when I "win" using Perish Song, despite the battle ending as 0-0, just because my 'mons are slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)