Project Doubles Teambuilding Competition - ON HIATUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Sorry all, I was going through a bit of a rough patch but I'm doing a bit better now and should be up to continuing to host. I hope you all enjoyed this one-week hiatus, and apologies to qsns for delaying his victory announcement! His team and description will be added to the Hall of Fame. As for this week...

It's Mega Gardevoir's turn in the spotlight! After spending many months in the unreleased and strictly theorymon purgatory, Mega Gardevoir was finally released to try its hand at finding a place in this new metagame. Despite considerable competition from fellow Psychic/Fairy type Tapu Lele and the other island guardians, Mega Gardevoir finds a solid niche in being a strong Trick Room setter and attacker. The nerf to the -ate abilities both hurts and aids its ability to function, helping it tank hits from Mega Salamence but diminishing the amount of damage it can rack up with Hyper Voice. As a relatively new addition to the tier, it's possible that you could find a new niche for this elegant threat, or just a new way to take advantage of its already-recognized prowess as a Trick Room setter and attacker, so get out there and get to building!

Deadline for submissions is Sunday, July 23rd at 8pm EST!

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 112 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Trick Room
- Protect

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Kingdra @ Razor Claw
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Energy
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Slide
- Snarl
- Superpower

Zapdos @ Expert Belt
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 24 SpA / 40 SpD / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Tailwind

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- King's Shield

I wanted to use a bulky Gardevoir with Kingdra, but with a twist. I wanted to use that Sniper Set so that I can spam that incredibly powerful Muddy Water and Draco Meteor (without having to worry about lowering its SpA). Of course, Kingdra would then need some speed support (since it doesn't have Swift Swim as its ability). Thus, I gave Gardevoir the move Trick Room and Pelipper the move Tailwind. Zapdos was added to reinforce Tail Room as well as to take out opposing water-types. Next, I added Substitute-using Aegislash as a nice secondary check to mons like Celesteela and Diancie, and as nice defensive Steel-type. I felt that Bulu could support Aegislash and assist Zapdos in eliminating bulky Water-types, too, so it was added as well. Not to mention, Bulu works well under rain when facing against Fire-types and against this SpA-infested meta through Snarl.

Serenity (Gardevoir-Mega) @ Gardevoirite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Encore
- Protect

Waifu Material (Tapu Fini) @ Mago Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 156 SpA / 28 SpD
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

HolyCow! (Heatran) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Bound 2.0 (Kyurem-Black) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Serious Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind

Zappy (Zapdos) @ Misty Seed
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Def / 80 SpD / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

Martians (Marshadow) @ Marshadium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect

The team started with the boring well known FiniZap. The FiniZap core are a bit passive and weak to Sand, Snorlax, and pz so im added Marshadow to cover the weakness all at once as well as a TR check. AV Kyube helped me to deal against FiniZap mirror and used as my switch-in for many diffrent attack in practice. SpecsTran added to additional cover for steels, the raw power boosts from specs are fun and can surprise Lele, Gross, Steela, etc with OHKO. Finally, i dont rly know what to add so im just put random mon, and i found Garde fits well here.

Last edited:

Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 220 HP / 96 Def / 192 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Trick Room
- Protect

Heatran @ Charcoal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 14 Spe
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Protect

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Super Fang

Zapdos @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 80 SpA / 8 SpD / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Tailwind
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Horn Leech

Standard tr mega garde. EV's live a mence double edge and hoopa hyperspace dark move with the rest dumped in SPA. Psyshock>Psychic because you click hyper voice 99% of the time but psyshock hits char y and amoong harder. It also means you aren't completely shit out of luck if the opposing team has a calm minder or something with a seed that boosts their SPD in a certain terrain. Disclaimer: If your mega garde doesn't have TR then just use lele so you don't give up your mega slot for a mon that does the same thing. Eruptran came next as a neat way to abuse both trick room and tailwind and get rid of steels that wall garde. Max bulk and max spa ev's with a quiet nature and 14 speed IV's. These let you outspeed max speed landoge in tailwind while still letting you underspeed aegis in TR which is p neat. Scrafty came next as its fake out support lets me set up tailwind and/or TR and garde is really lacking in physical defense and intimidate helps with that and it helps beat opposing tranners which beat my tranner and garde. Max bulk max attack and standard moves except I have super fang as the last move slot. In TR, super fang + hyper voice/eruption is damn near impossible to switch into and it lets you maximize damage output under TR and can rly catch your opponent off guard. Next came standard twind zapdos and it does zapdos things like check mence, lando, and bulky water types. P much every mon on the team is very effective in either Trick room or Tailwind which means you can be very dynamic in how you approach each move. Lando t came next as a great pivot with u-turn. Lastly i put bulu on to help control the terrain and as a much needed sleep switchin. Band cause i aint no pusc

Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Encore
- Protect

Gyarados @ Mago Berry
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD
Careful Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Zapdos @ Electrium Z
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Tailwind
- Toxic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind
- Fusion Bolt

Tapu Bulu @ Mago Berry
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Roar
- Protect
- Horn Leech

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Building Phase: Ok so I usually don't do these but I need to get more involved with the community and Mega Garde is super fun so I obviously started with that. I tried exploring options with Trick Room but it didn't really work out so I went with Tailwind as my main form of speed control using Zapdos. Next I added Tapu Bulu as I wanted a Tapu for terrain control to mess up stuff like Self swagger with misty terrain. Now I was still a little weak to sun so I strengthened that match up with Heatran. Next I added AV Kyurem because it's fat and checks like everything while providing another form of speed control which is important for my rather middling speed team generally speaking. Finally, I originally had Landorus-T with Groundium-Z to kinda forgo the negative effect of my own grassy terrain but it still didn't feel right as it left me ice weak and forced me to use the Z-Move and then be almost dead weight if Grassy Terrain was in effect. So, I switched to Gyarados as my Intimdate user (as imo intimidate is a must on Gardevoir teams). Overall it's pretty balanced but you gotta watch out for rock moves as I have no resists so Terracott is pretty much an autoloss (but that's all my teams).

Sets Explanations: Some of these sets are odd but I have my reasoning for each of them.

• Gardevoir is standard--just max speed and special attack to hit hard and fast with the modest nature as I do have multiple forms of speed control. The moves are simply STABs with Encore, as opponents might attempt to protect to stall turns of Tailwind or from the offensive pressure of Gardevoir itself.

• Gyarados was originally a standard Dragon Dance set with Flyinium but I kept finding myself wanting to play it as a defensive pivot, so I switched the set up to defensive one. Thunder Wave is an underrated form of speed control that is still very decent when used correctly. Taunt helps with set up and trick room users like Hoopa who wouldn't be going for Z-TR. The EVs allow it to take two -1 Stone Edges from Landorus almost every time or -1 Continental Crush from Jolly Tyranitar which would then activate Mago berry. These calcs aren't really that important in that it'll be living those exact hits but it just goes to show how bulky it really is. The rest was thrown into special defense. Mago comes into effect most games if played right and can be a big game changer, and it's that exact pinch berry in case Araquinid would Bug Bite. Shiny to bluff Flyinium.

• Zapdos ended up being my Z-Move user after I edited my Gyarados set and it actually helps a lot vs opposing Fini that think they can barely take a thunderbolt to activate their pinch berry. I also prefer offensive Zapdos over the super bulky one that's running around anyways. The speed creeps other Zapdos and others in the area. Since I was rather offensive I didn't think Roost was worth it, so I tried Toxic to help with m abysmal Snorlax match up, and it's worked out great. HP ice for Lando and Mence. Tailwind as my obvious reasoning for running this thing over Koko.

• Kyurem-B lives just about everything with this given bulk. Even with Quiet nature the speed allows it to outspeed jolly scarf lando by two points in tailwind. Icy wind is pretty decent for getting around redirection + another useful form of speed control and the other moves are standard.

• Tapu Bulu is used as my answer to things like Z-TR Bronzong which would ignore Taunt, which is why I use Roar. Wood Hammer can be easily timed correctly to activate the Mago berry. Horn leech for recovery. Speed outpaces my own Kyurem for my own purposes.

• Finally just standard Hp Ice Shuca tran. Modest because of all my speed control options so it has to watch out for opposing tran.

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Missed it by... 26 hours. Sorry guys, guess I'm not back in the habit yet. Voting starts now! Elegyy, your vote will count already, so no need to post again after this.

Test Bot #
Heliodor
osceola
Mint16

Voting ends Wednesday, July 26th at 8pm EST!

talkingtree

large if factual
In a landslide vote, Mint16 wins this week! The corresponding team and description will be added to the Hall of Fame (once I get some sleep) As for this week...

Mega Camerupt is a beast under Trick Room, with powerful STAB attacks that are further boosted by Sheer Force and an extremely low Speed stat that even allows it to underspeed Trick Room's bane, Amoonguss. With that incredibly low Speed stat, Mega Camerupt is near-useless without Trick Room support, and its bulk, while not bad, isn't anything to write home about. Last generation, Mega Camerupt was entirely unable to hit any Water-types, but with the ubiquity of Terrains, Mega Camerupt can viably run Nature Power, which gives it access to Sheer Force-boosted Energy Ball or Thunderbolt with Tapu Bulu or Tapu Koko as a partner, respectively. Other Terrains will also convert Nature Power into a Sheer-Force boosted attack, with Psychic Terrain making it Psychic and Misty Terrain making it Moonblast, but these don't round out its coverage quite as well. Thanks to Tapu Fini losing one of its best move options in Swagger, Mega Camerupt is poised to take advantage of fewer Tapu Finis being around. Let's see what this camel can do!

Submissions will be open until Sunday, July 30th, at 8pm EST!

I actually tried Nature Power on Mega Camerupt as Talkingtree has stated, and surprisingly, it's pretty neat! I then added the common Trick Room duo of Tapu Bulu and Diancie. Mega Camerupt and Diancie benefits from Grassy Surge, and Diancie especially becomes a monster after Weakness Policy is activated. Then, I chose Porygon2. Its incredible bulk and capability to recover makes it a reliable Trick Room setter to have from time to time in a game. The next mon that I chose for this team was Scrafty because Fake Out support is still neat to have around. Its access to Intimidate (along with Tapu Bulu's Snarl) and neat coverage against mons like Snorlax and Aegislash make it a valuable asset to the team. Lastly, Gyarados was added because it seemed like an interesting mon to have. It's another Water-resist for Camerupt-Mega and Diancie, and Flyinium Z - boosted Bounce tend to catch many players off guard.

Overall, an incredibly bulky and powerful team, using mons only from Tier 3 or below.

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Protect

Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Slide
- Snarl
- Superpower

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Trick Room
- Recover

Scrafty @ Expert Belt
Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick
- Protect
- Fake Out

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
Brave Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Taunt
- Protect

Last edited:

Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Nature's Madness
- Wood Hammer

Volcanion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 22 Spe
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Bronzong @ Psychium Z
Ability: Heatproof
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 2 Atk / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Sunny Day
- Gyro Ball
- Hypnosis

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Hoopa-Unbound @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Atk / 92 Def / 24 SpD
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

So, the team is quite easy to use. What you have to do is set up z tr with bronzong and then spam hypnosis, while its partner can wreck the opponent's team. Bulu is added so that you can change misty and electric terrains in which otherwise you can't hypno mons, also enabling mega camerupt to catch water types like fini off guard with nature power. Bulu is av so can take some special hits and hit back and checks water types too which otherwise trouble this team. AV scrafty is the best scrafty imo, hoopa u is a pretty standard bulky set. Finally, sunny day was added in bronzong, well cuz fuck rain and hp ice from a modest 252 spa volc ohkoes majority of mences.

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Misty Seed
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 4 SpA / 68 SpD
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 96 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 152 Def / 88 SpD
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
EVs: 116 HP / 148 Atk / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Fullroom drops to anything that can put pressure so i decided to use semiroom camel cause it's more flexible and camel is a good enough standalone mon to work outside of TR. Started the team with camel + hoopa/fini cause hoopa is a good semiroom tr setter and fini activates misty seed, and works pretty well with camel since camel gets rid of grass types and whatnot. Also has nature power to snipe zygardes/mences. Next i added marshadow because it is broken and your team will always benefit with its addition. Originally I had zapdos over ferrothorn (with a fast camel lol) but i was losing too much to swampert and i needed a steel so i used yellow paint's suggestion of adding ferro. I wanted intimidate so i just threw on lando.

Modest Nature
- Protect
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Heat Wave

Mew @ Iron Ball
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 24 SpA / 116 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Fake Out
- Helping Hand
- Ice Beam / Transform

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 240 HP / 80 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 72 SpD / 164 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Mago Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 120 SpA / 84 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Heal Pulse

I really wanted to use nature power mega-camerupt cause i thought i'd be fly as shit but turns out everyone else is using it as well, and for good reason. First things first mew is carrying helping hand to boost camerupts attacks to astronomical levels, it's usually not seen to much but i believe that it is really useful in this case,,
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Earth Power vs. 88 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 306-360 (84.2 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Helping Hand Earth Power vs. 88 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 456-536 (125.6 - 147.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Earth Power vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 237-280 (62.3 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Helping Hand Earth Power vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 357-421 (93.9 - 110.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Heat Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 196-232 (60.8 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Helping Hand Heat Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 295-348 (91.6 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-Therian: 216-255 (67.7 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Helping Hand Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-Therian: 322-379 (100.9 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Moving on to tapu koko, it's just a standard set, i wanted something to take care of waters more efficiently and make use of camerupts nature power that wasn't bulu, the weakening of earth power was a slight turn off. Next up is amoonguss, i originally didn't like the thought of amoonguss due to electric terrain and misty terrain, but it's turned out to be much better than i thought, being able to redirect attacks from mega-camerupt or zygarde is very useful additionally putting foes to sleep to assist either zygarde or mega-rupt. I impleneted zygarde onto the team because i lacked a hard hitter on the physical side, i also needed something to break through specially bulky mons like Snorlax for mega-rupt, mew is also really nice to transform into zygarde. Finally, tapu fini was added to the team for more defensive support, mainky for zygarde and for healing teammates.

Overall i'm sure it has some flaws but nonetheless it's still a really fun team to use ~

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
This is a couple days late, but the project will be going on hold during the Marshadow suspect both to wait and see what happens there and because my schoolwork is really piling up right now. Still, we have to pick a winner for Mega Camel, so...

Test Bot #
Blaze45
DaAwesomeDude1
Stan Soojung

Voting will be open until Friday, August 4th, at 8pm EST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)