Project Doubles Teambuilding Competition - ON HIATUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I've been out of town and totally let this slip my mind, apologies everyone! It's a tie between marilli and Matame, so I'll cast the tiebreaking vote and the winner of this week is... Matame! As per usual, the winning team and description will be added to the Hall of Fame, and I'll even link the song in the description :toast:

This week, we're going to build around the recently-released Mega Swampert! With Pelipper's presence in the metagame, Mega Swampert has a teammate that can set rain, take on Grass-types, and avoid Earthquake all in one, making it far easier to use this generation. With two strong STAB attacks, one boosted by rain and the other dealing spread damage, Mega Swampert easily takes advantage of the Speed boost from Swift Swim to punch holes in its foes. Coverage moves like Low Kick, Ice Punch, and Superpower round out a decent movepool, helping Mega Swampert take on Snorlax and Ferrothorn or Mega Salamence and Zygarde. Decent bulk keeps it fairly healthy and an Attack stat of 150 make Mega Swampert quite threatening, but outside of rain it is greatly hurt by a base 70 Speed stat. Grass-types and Intimidate also keep Mega Swampert at bay, but teammates can cover for it.

Deadline for building is Wednesday, June 7th at noon EST!

peeko (Pelipper) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Taunt
- Protect

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Bonemerang
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Protect

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 232 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpD / 40 Spe
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Hydro Pump
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

• Swampert is a fun pokemon, standard set minus ice punch goin for power up punch. its pretty cool to surprise that landorus that thought it intimidated you. side pup is back
  • Peliper is a strong choice as Swampert EQs freely next to it, while also providing momentum with U turn and Tailwind for the rest of the team. Hurricane is nice for the occasional grass types too
  • tapu koko is good in rain, taunt helps vs trick room and shenanigans, thunder hits hard, voltswitch momentums
  • alolan-marowak is sweet because it saves rain the bother of tapu koko match up, is okay under rain, and gives a fire type to go.
  • ludicolo is second rain sweeper and fake out is nice. coverage + assault vest
  • celesteela is the steel that abuses less fire, and no electric thanks to alolan marowak, which is pretty cool. defensive backbone of the team

Last edited:

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Protect

Gothitelle @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Heal Pulse
- Trick Room
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 Def
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Snorlax @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature
- Return
- Curse
- High Horsepower
- Recycle
This isn't a perfect team but I tried to produce something interesting and creative.

SM's new Mega Evolution mechanics gave Mega Swampert a niche advantage over Kingdra and Ludicolo as a rain sweeper. If it Mega Evolves on the same turn you switch in a Pelipper or Politoed, Drizzle will activate before the Mega Evolution, and Swift Swim's check for rain will occur *after* the weather has been changed to rain. This ultimately means that you get one chance activate Swift Swim even if your setter hasn't already entered the battlefield.

So with that in mind, I was inspired to build a team that took advantage of this mechanic a bit while also being an otherwise viable team. The basic strategy behind the team is to lock the opponent's positions into place with Gothetelle and punch holes in the team early on with Swampert and Tapu Koko, making it harder for the opponent to counter the Ferrothorn and Snorlax wincons in the late game. I'd typically lead with Swampert and Gothetelle on Turn 1, then, assuming Swampert isn't completely walled/checked, swap Gothetelle out to Pelipper to immediately start rain sweeping. Depending on the match-up, you might also want to set up Snorlax earlier on and treat Swampert as more of a late game cleaner. Snorlax makes a decent check against opposing Trick Room teams, while Gothetelle can set Trick Room against opponents running mostly fast attackers. One thing to note with the Swampert is I went Superpower > Earthquake as I felt the super effective coverage for hitting Ferro was important, but Ice Punch is also too good to lose and EQ doesn't really hit anything that Waterfall/Superpower/Ice Punch can't hit anyway.

Last edited:
THUNDERSTORM

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Dazzling Gleam
- Rain Dance
- Protect

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Final Gambit
- U-turn

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 96 Atk / 188 SpA / 224 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 32 Def / 148 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Came back to mons and saw that Megas of Hoenn Starters were released! Standard Swampert with standard Pelipper. Decided to put Tapu Koko as a check to opposing weathers, as well as the lead of my Electric Spam (Vicitini + Kyurem-B). Ferrothorn works well in Rain and Trick Room.

I guess I'm throwing my hat in the ring for once.

#AnchorArms

• Swampert-Mega - Main focus of the team and the primary star of the squad. Standard 3 attacks with dual STAB + Ice Punch to put a dent in Dragons and Grass types such as Tapu Bulu and Salamence-Mega. I don't remember what the EV spread does specifically, but the thing has a great amount of bulk and ludicrous speed under rain while maximizing Atk power.

• Pelipper is the perfect partner for Swampert this generation. Being able to set up Rain as well as being immune to its spread STAB EQ. Decided to go with U-turn to enable it to get out of sticky situations safely and preserve the rain for later in the battle. Tailwint is mainly to allow Tapu Lele and BuzzSwole to perform wonders in the right circumstances, considering Tapu Lele at +2 speed is something no one really wants to fuck with, and BuzzSwole and Swampert both being good at removing Steels from the equasion allows her to run amock under Tailwind. Decided to go with dual STAB in order to help nail Grass types that threaten Swampert and switch into a ood chunk of the team and Scald in order to have a good weather boosted STAB with consistant acc and a chance to burn (when not under Misty Terrain ofc)

• The next partner was Tapu Koko. This was chosen simply to abuse the fuck out of rain as well as be a blanket check to ZardY. I originally went with Life Orb, but instead opted for Magnet for the held item as you get generally the same damage output. The real trick is Rain Dance as a tech in order to catch ZardY on the turn it MEga Evolves or later on in the match if Pelipper either has already died or can't be brought in safely. You won't get the 8 turns as with Pelipper and its Damp Rock, but it gets the job done enough. And the squad more than has MArowak and Rhyperior covered to not have to worry about Mono Electric STAB on Tapu Koko.

• The next Pokemon was Tapu Lele. Although most people (at least the ones I talk to) are usually opposed to runnign dual Terrain, I personally love it. It allows for lots of veriety within the team and allows ccertain threats to be strengthened and neutered depending on the situation you find yourself in. With my team being very weak to Trick Room at this point, I decided to take a slower approach to Tapu Lele, going with the Modest Nature and a Life Orb to maximize damage output. Moonblast for standard STAB and Psyshock to get around CM Tapu Fini's bullshit and hit SpD and AV threats for more damage. With LO and Psychic Terrain, this little lady is absolutely horrifying to face when backed up by Pelipper's Tailwind. As a check to Trick Room, I opted for Taunt as my final move in order to stop Trick Room from going up, coupled with the Psychic Terrain to cockblock any Fake Out users that may accompany.

• The next Pokemon on the squad is the infamous UB-01: Symbiont, Nihilego. Nihilego was mainly added onto this team as a secondary check to ZardY that can function outside of Rain. This Pokemon is an immediate check to ZardY, Lando-T, Salamence-Mega (Pre-DD), all 4 of the Tapu, and any Grass type Pokemon not named Ferrothorn or Venusaur-Mega (if that even still exists LOL). Choice Scarf being the item for obvious reasons. I needed natural speed with perfect accuracy. Dual STAB for effectiveness and HP Ice to body the main 3 aforementioned threats. The last move I opted for was Thunderbolt in order to help fight a bit better against the Rain mirror and drop the ever so annoying Celesteela when backed up by Tapu Koko's Electric Terrain if my hand is so forced that way.

• Last, but not least, we have UB-02: Absorption/Expansion, BuzzSwole. This Pokemon was placed on the squad mainly to further patch my Steel weakness. Being able to abuse rain to tank some super effective Fire moves, specifically from Heatran and Volcanion, and blow them and any other Steel threats not Celesteela or Aegislash cleanly away with either a boosted Superpower or Consecutive Normal Punches (All-Out Pummeling) made this a fantastic choice for the final spot on the squad. Superpower with Fightinium-Z makes for an absurdly powerful STAB that not much appreciates switching in on even if resisted. Ice Punch is to dent the ever so prominant Landorus-Therian and Salamence-Mega, its Bug typing allows it to swallow an EQ from if its forced to do so, and Poison Jab is mainly to pick up the easy OHKO on Tapu Bulu and be able to damage the other 3 Tapu, namely Tapu Fini.

• Main Member. Fucks shit up in rain
  • Perfect Partner. Sets Tailwind and rain. Hits Grass Types
  • Tell Thor to #GitGud
  • Bullshit Level = Maximum
  • Cute AF and fucks ZardY
  • Bends tempered Steel and ALWAYS skips Leg Day

AMI (Swampert-Mega) (F) @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 56 SpD / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

PEEKO (Pelipper) (F) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 80 SpA / 112 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane

TAPU COCOA (Tapu Koko) @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Rain Dance
- Volt Switch
- Thunder

TAPU MEIDŌ (Tapu Lele) @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Psyshock

HENTAIWAIFU (Nihilego) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Bomb
- Power Gem

GLADYS (Buzzwole) @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab
- Superpower

This double steal team does not disappoint, although a little weak to thorn, it's overall very solid. I'm not sure where to begin, I guess I will start with swampert. Rocks swampert is some cash, as dad1 would say. It wears down the very few zard y teams while also punishing people who always switch. Next, we have peliper, the peliper is standard but does a great job shielding cele and aeg from fire attacks. All the other mons are standard except aeg, it has maranga berry because why the fuck not?
heres a replay
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-586040642

Swampert @ Swampertite
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

peeko (Pelipper) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect
- Heavy Slam

Finally's X (Aegislash) @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 220 HP / 164 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Protect

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 104 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Protect
- Ice Punch

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Brine
- Hurricane
- Protect
- Tailwind

Bronzong @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 220 Def / 12 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
- Zen Headbutt
- Rain Dance

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Happiness: 0
EVs: 60 HP / 216 Atk / 156 Def / 76 SpD
Brave Nature
- Frustration
- Recycle
- High Horsepower
- Curse

Tapu Bulu @ Mago Berry
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Protect
- Substitute
- Superpower

Magnezone @ Electrium Z
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Thunder
- Flash Cannon
- Protect
- Thunderbolt

Started with standard Mega Swampert, but replaced Earthquake with Superpower to help with the Kartana/Ferrothorn matchup and to prevent Grassy Terrain from getting in Swampert's way. Next is standard-ish Pelipper, but I went with Brine over Hydro Pump because most of this team's attacks are going to bring the opposing Pokemon low enough that Brine will double in power and basically become a more accurate Hydro Pump with more PP. I wanted a Trick Room mode and a mon that could resist Grass, so I went with Bronzong. The Defense investment allows it to live a max Attack Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury. I gave it Rain Dance because I didn't want to solely rely on Pelipper for getting up rain, since I sacrificed Damp Rock for Focus Sash. Snorlax is here just to take advantage of the Trick Room mode since it can hit so hard. Tapu Bulu was added because I wanted a safe switch in for Pelipper into Electric types. Sub is there for whenever Bulu gets a free turn or when the Mago Berry needs to heal it up, and the last slot was originally HP Fire, but it conflicted a bit too much with rain to the point where I was trying to avoid bringing in Pelipper to get full powered HP Fires off, and it was also pretty pitiful damage on Ferrothorn, so I switched it to Superpower. Magnezone was the last one here because it has pretty respectable Special Attack and gets Sturdy, so as long as it's not doubled into it can get its Z move off, which does a monstrous amount of damage.

The team plays pretty simple. Getting the control off asap had proven to be quite ideal, but not necessary. Bronzong + Swampert is a good lead, since Bronzong can either go for Rain Dance and get Swampert going immediately (or switch out into Pelipper) or go for Trick Room to get the slower members of the team going, though it shouldn't be considered the lead for all matches, such as opposing Trick Room teams or facing down a Scarf Tyranitar. Once a form of speed control is up, the team is about getting a bunch of offense off. Just barrage the opponent with strong attacks.

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hey everybody it's Arcticblast coming at you with the best Rain team since my last Rain team

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Knock Off

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpA / 92 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Tailwind

Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Focus Blast

So in my quest to build teams with the Hoenn starters (still need to build Blaziken!), I noticed that Swampert / Pelipper / Tapu Koko looked like a really solid Rain core, with a lot of Speed and a ton of damage across the board. With these three Pokemon in mind, Sub Aegislash immediately sprung to mind as a solid blanket check to everything, especially Ferrothorn, which Rain has struggled to beat since BW. I then added Skymin, who has a lot of synergy with Mega Swampert and also provides an emergency Speed control option, while not lacking in damage. Assault Vest Kyurem-B was the final choice as a pivot and another everything check.

This team is a pretty solid example of the teams I enjoy playing: it's a rather offensive team that has a couple fallbacks that will help me take control of the game. The objective is to get at least one of the big damage dealers - Swampert and Koko - out under Rain at all times, and use the other Pokemon to force switches and do damage that will allow me to keep a positive environment for those damage dealers. Pelipper's Knock Off lets me get past Snorlax in particular but also Eviolite holders like Porygon2 and other super Sitrus berries; removing those berries ensures my damage sticks and isn't just healed off when I barely miss a KO. Sash Skymin is one of the strongest offensive support Pokemon in the game. Seed Flare's 67% chance or so of a Special Defense drop means four of my other team members can absolutely nuke something, and Sash almost guarantees a Tailwind setup should I feel the need to Talonflame my Shaymin.

Fun fact: putting Aegislash on all of your teams will make them look significantly better, whether or not they are actually better.

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Tailwind
- Protect

Volcanion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb
- Flame Charge

Raichu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Lightning Rod
Hasty Nature
- Fake Out
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Encore

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Rock Slide

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Protect

The most unique thing about this team is the Volcanion. I've wanted to use it on rain because it counters Zard (in or out rain) and Ferro (without forcing the team to run a a shitty fighting type or a Fire-type Pokemon that is basically useless in rain). I've tried Volc Rain before, but Swampert+Volcanion has much better synergy that Volcanion+Kingdra so the team actually works. I usually end up winning games with Celesteela because nothing can kill it with Rain+Lightningrod support. Bulu makes playing around Kingdra/other Tapus much easier, and sniping Zards with Scarf Rock Slides is an easy way to win the game.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I'm a couple of hours late but I got two teams out of it so I'll call it a win! Please reply with the name of the user who built the team that you think deserves to win the week.

Silverwhiteblue
GenOne
Test Bot #
GRAND EMPRESS
Jahimm
nerd of now
Arcticblast
Lolk

Deadline for voting is Friday, June 9th at noon EST!

talkingtree

large if factual
Lots of different teams got votes this week, but Arcticblast and GenOne each received 3 votes so once again it's up to me to break the tie... I'll cast a vote for GenOne, so his team will be added to the Hall of Fame!

This week, Mega Abomasnow will be taking the stage as the featured team member. Though it lacks access to Aurora Veil like Alolan Ninetales has, Mega Abomasnow easily makes up for it with a great Special Attack stat and low Speed that make it a perfect fit for Trick Room teams or more hyper offensive BlizzSpam builds. Mega Abomasnow also benefits from a few great matchups in the metagame - taking on three of the four island guardians, Landorus-T, Mega Salamence, Zapdos, and Amoonguss. Sadly, it's left somewhat helpless against Fire- and Steel-types and without Trick Room support is forced to rely on its bulk to get off an attack. This is where you come in, finding the best teammates to help Mega Abomasnow thrive!

Deadline for building is Tuesday, June 13th at noon EST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)