DP Research Thread #6 (Even newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ericcc:

The type-changing effect is an effect of the move Judgment, not of the ability Multitype or of the species Arceus. That's why Judgment's description reads "If user is holding a Plate, this attack's type depends on the Plate held." and not "If user's current species is Arceus and is holding a Plate..." or "If user's ability is Multitype and is holding a Plate..." Thus, even a Smeargle can have Judgment's type change if it holds a Plate.

Here's something I noticed about the Sticky Barb (I recently read the site's description):

I've been using it for years on PBR and just tested it on the DS and found that the Sticky Barb does not damage an attacker using a contact move. It will stick to the opponent if it has no held items, but it does not outright damage them for using a contact move.

I too had known this as well. My own description reads, in part: "Whenever holder loses HP due to a direct attack by a non-holder and that non-holder isn't holding an item, that non-holder receives this item."

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wait, so are you saying it does damage attackers using contact moves on PBR, but not on the DS? Also, which DS game are you talking about, specifically?

More things about the breeding. I'm breeding a male Pidgeotto with 31 IVs in Attack, Speed and Special Defense with a Ditto with 31 Ivs in everything.

I gave a Power Bracer to Pidgeotto (Attack IV) and a Power Anklet to Ditto (Speed IV).

Most of the Pidgeys have indeed 31 IVs in Attack and Speed, HOWEVER, there are some that do not have a 31 IV in Attack or Speed. And both of the parents have 31 IVs in Attack and Speed. Anyone got this too?

Also, if more than an 31 IV is present in a pokémon, how does the game chose the sentence (e.g. often dozes off, somewhat vain, etc)?

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
@ Camara - either parent holds a Power Item, then it offsprings should be getting an IV from the parent. What game are you using?

Also I tested this on Soul Silver - Sticky Barb does not damage the attacker.

Soulsilver. But I got it very rarely, say 1 for a box of Pidgeys. I'll keep breeding (as I want a flawless Pidgey), when I get more I'll say.

EDIT: this is not my case, but Bulbapedia says the following

In HeartGold and SoulSilver a new mechanic was added to breeding, in which the EV Items can pass on the corresponding IV of the parent Pokémon to the baby. For example, if a parent is holding the Power Anklet, the Speed IV would be passed on. Note, however, that the stat passed on by the EV Items can still be overwritten later on in the IV-selecting process. For instance, if you were breeding two Pokémon, one with a perfect Speed IV and holding the Power Anklet and another with 20 Speed IVs, even if the perfect Speed IV is passed down, the game can still randomly choose the other parent's Speed IV and overwrite the IV passed down by the EV Item.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Breeding

EDIT2: here is it, another Pidgey without a 31 IV in attack

That wiki page is incorrect, according to the method I posted recently (see the top of this page). In fact, the three IVs inherited will never overlap. I have just corrected that page.

So, let me recapitulate.

If both parents have a different power item, only one IV is guaranteed to be transmited, right?

Wait, so are you saying it does damage attackers using contact moves on PBR, but not on the DS? Also, which DS game are you talking about, specifically?
Nope, it doesn't damage the attacker even on PBR; it just attaches to them (painful memory of using Sash SD Sceptile against my friend, only to have his Primeape's Sticky Barb attach to it and KOing it at the end of the turn XD). The description on the site appears to be incorrect.

EDIT: And yes, only one IV can be passed with a Power item.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
This is getting odd now, since we've confirmed that if both parents hold a Power Item, one is guaranteed to be passed on, yet there have been three instances now where people have reported that neither IV gets passed on.

While it may be a mistake on their parts, poccil and anybody else involved in this current experiment, I'd like a second opinion on why this is.

This is getting odd now, since we've confirmed that if both parents hold a Power Item, one is guaranteed to be passed on, yet there have been three instances now where people have reported that neither IV gets passed on.

While it may be a mistake on their parts, poccil and anybody else involved in this current experiment, I'd like a second opinion on why this is.
From my experiences, for the short time that I did experiment with using two Power Items an IV was always passed down from a parent, an IV that was associated with either one of the Power Items.

In the long run however, it doesn't matter. Using two Power Items with a breeding pair has no benefit whatsoever and anyone with sense shouldn't be doing so.

Any sensible person would know to give a Power Item to only one parent and the Everstone to another.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat

Perhaps the parents are from games that are from different regions? It's been shown that using an Everstone to pass natures doesn't work with parents from different regions. It wouldn't surprise me if the same were true with Power Items.

Camara, is your Ditto from Japan, by chance?

TheMaskedNitpicker:

This is so because the personality ID is calculated at two different moments -- namely, when the egg is ready and when the egg is received. When the egg is ready, an initial personality ID is generated, and the Everstone effect changes that ID. However, when the egg is received, the personality ID will again change to a random one if it doesn't result in a shiny egg and the two parents come from different language versions.

The IVs, on the other hand are calculated only once, namely, when the egg is received.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
TheMaskedNitpicker:

This is so because the personality ID is calculated at two different moments -- namely, when the egg is ready and when the egg is received. When the egg is ready, an initial personality ID is generated, and the Everstone effect changes that ID. However, when the egg is received, the personality ID will again change to a random one if it doesn't result in a shiny egg and the two parents come from different language versions.

The IVs, on the other hand are calculated only once, namely, when the egg is received.
The name isn't japanese. It is Ryan's modest Ditto, probably heard of it.
Ah well, so much for that theory.

On Shoddy, if you Fling a Pinch Berry at a Pokemon behind a Substitute, the Pokemon behind the Substitute gets a stat boost. On the cartridges, however, it does not. In-game, Flinging an HP-restoring Berry at a Pokemon behind a Substitute doesn't heal the Pokemon behind the Substitute either. This was tested in HGSS.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
On Shoddy, if you Fling a Pinch Berry at a Pokemon behind a Substitute, the Pokemon behind the Substitute gets a stat boost. On the cartridges, however, it does not. In-game, Flinging an HP-restoring Berry at a Pokemon behind a Substitute doesn't heal the Pokemon behind the Substitute either. This was tested in HGSS.
I was playing HGSS when I remembered this out of nowhere. This is correct. Also saying Bug Bite does not steal your Berry if you are behind a Substitute. However, if you Bug Bite their berry away and they Trick you, you can still Bug Bite the berry they stole off you.

ALSO MORE ACID RAIN YEAH
Ice Body / Dry Skin / Rain Dish people heal HP in Acid Weather, no matter what conditions.
(e.g. even if it is sunny, Dry Skin mon still heals HP in Sun, Sand and Rain)
Clefairy is hurt by Acid Weather.
Piloswine (and ergo the whole family) is not hurt when Hail or Sandstorm, but is hurt by Sun and Rain.

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm trying to implement Life Orb in SB2, and I need to know what its behavior is in double battles. On the site pages, this part worries me:

Life Orb does not damage the holder if the attack hits a Substitute.
What happens on moves with more than one target? What happens if only one opponent has substitute and the other does not? What happens if both have substitute? Does your partner pokemon count in this (for moves like Surf/Earthquake)?

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
So you mean if a Life Orb holder uses Rock Slide?
They only take 10% damage.
If a Life Orb Holder attacks a normal mon and a Sub, still 10%
If a Life Orb holder attacks two Subs, no recoil.

If the holder uses EQ and all Three targets are behind a sub, no damage. If at least one Pokemon is damaged, then recoil occurs, basically.

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Alright, thanks a lot. Now I got another question.

I'm going to try implementing Truant. However, the information I can find at least on Smogon is fairly vague. What I want to know is:
1) Can you switch out during the turn you're loafing around?
2) What happens if you're skill swapped on the same turn you're about to loaf around, but the skill swapper is faster than Slaking? Will you loaf around, or no?

Alright, thanks a lot. Now I got another question.

I'm going to try implementing Truant. However, the information I can find at least on Smogon is fairly vague. What I want to know is:
1) Can you switch out during the turn you're loafing around?
2) What happens if you're skill swapped on the same turn you're about to loaf around, but the skill swapper is faster than Slaking? Will you loaf around, or no?
1) Yes.
2) You don't loaf around.

Tested on HeartGold.

Super

This space for rent
Thank you. One more thing though, after getting skill swapped, does Truant kick in the next turn or the one after that? Meaning, does the pokemon loaf around immediately after skill swapping Slaking?

EDIT: And the effects DP vs Platinum would be nice to know for this.

Concerning the small discussion a few pages back (around April 30th) about the Trainer Card score:

I'm also fairly certain things about the Underground have something to do with the Score as well, while things over Wireless and WiFi don't.
I can confirm that this is incorrect. Actions on Wi-FI (not sure about wireless) can and will garner points. After about 10 minutes of quick testing, I determined that trading a Pokemon over Wi-Fi gives 10 points, and participating in a Wi-Fi battle earns 11 points (doesn't matter if you win, lose, or tie).

I know this is late, but I just felt like throwing that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)