Media DRAGON BALL SUPER

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
GO UNIVERSE 3

This episode was basic and great. 22 mins of punches, kicks, and ki blasts without any emotional charge, nor any forced bad development (there was some good development of Gohan). I especially liked Gohan and the Androids being badass, the former as in desperate need of it. I just don't understand why no one knocked out Paparoni, it seemed like something Vegeta or 17 would do. Still solid and entertaining. I'd give it an 8,5/10.

Also, this is the first time since the episode before Freeza vs. Frost that a preview gave me a boner.

Paparoni has a little white cloud on his head. Why?

PS: Great Gohan, the best of this episode. Universe 11 is watching again....

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Awesome episode.

Loved Anirazas warp punches. Unexpected and a cool thing to add in, the only thing comparable was Hit's sort of warp punches.

Jiren was throwing incredible shade before the outro. I didn't think grunty had it in him.

Don Honchkrorleone

Fuck yea Universe 3. Loved this episode, everything was great about it. Shoutouts to pissed off Freeza. the androids as always, and the reaction of Universe 3, making it my favorite even more (also the twist at the end really caught me out of guard, which is rare in DB). 9,5/10 only because it was a single episode and deserved to be at least one more.

Speaking of that funny how meh or bad Toei-overhyped episodes (all Kefla ones; the last one) tend to be, while this simple one that didn't get a lot of foreshadowing in the anime was really really good. Hopefully the hype won't soil the next 7 or 8 episodes till the end of this arc, but I can't say I'm entirely negative on it. After all I predict Goku vs Jiren to only happen after everyone else falls (hoping for Gohan vs Toppo to end in a tie).

In advance, RIP Vegeta.

Good episode and great teamwork (finally Freeza). Universe 11 (and first of everyone Toppo) should get disqualified for inactivity.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Im just left here wondering if they can stretch this 9 minutes longer than the 10 minutes on Namek... Awesome episode though, who would've predicted the final battle would be U7 vs U11?

theangryscientist

angry, not mad
literally everyone? jiren was obviously intended to be the "final boss" of the tournament itself, although i get the feeling that the end of the tournament isn't the end of the arc

I am confused. How is the idea of eating somebody not a possible violation to the rules? are the characters in series oblivious that being eaten either equals death of the eaten character? Where they going for another fake emotional scene? How did 17 break though that fire ball by himself when his barrier was easily broken by weaker attacks of that thing and the combined efford of the 5 fighters couldn't stop the fire ball?
So much exposition and shit still makes no sense.

Now our heroes defeated all universes besides one all by themselves while Jiren was wasting his time eliminating at most 2 people. are people blinded by the pretty colors so much?
and Goku still can't decide if he is low on stamina or not while recycling through all his SSJ forms especially the form that is heavily draining stamina. But I guess that doesn't matter, because he will get plot convinience power to restore his stamina also known as Ultra Instinct when the plot demands it.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am confused. How is the idea of eating somebody not a possible violation to the rules? are the characters in series oblivious that being eaten either equals death of the eaten character? Where they going for another fake emotional scene? How did 17 break though that fire ball by himself when his barrier was easily broken by weaker attacks of that thing and the combined efford of the 5 fighters couldn't stop the fire ball?

Now our heroes defeated all universes besides one all by themselves while Jiren was wasting his time eliminating at most 2 people. are people blinded by the pretty colors so much?
and Goku still can't decide if he is low on stamina or not while recycling through all his SSJ forms especially the form that is heavily draining stamina. But I guess that doesn't matter, because he will get plot convinience power to restore his stamina also known as Ultra Instinct when the plot demands it.
You're probably taking this a bit too seriously. It's reason to believe that getting eaten would kill our favorite android (2nd favorite android?) and that it would DQ our opponent, but do we really want to watch our kick-ass mom in a pink jumpsuit getting swallowed and murdered in front of us? Probably not. The fact we are actually concerned about 18 now is actually a testament to the development they've done to her (same with 17 but the androids have been so on points).

Goku's stamina goes back to w/e zenkai and the fact that you don't start off a fight sprinting metaphor. He's taking it slow and easy and then going full-force. We even saw him just go God form instead of Blue during the fight. As far as we're aware UI only happens when Goku is completely tapped and goes Bruce Lee "be the water" form, if it evolves further from that eh; I kind of like the be the water completely tapped version.

edit:
Merry Christmas!

You're probably taking this a bit too seriously. It's reason to believe that getting eaten would kill our favorite android (2nd favorite android?) and that it would DQ our opponent, but do we really want to watch our kick-ass mom in a pink jumpsuit getting swallowed and murdered in front of us? Probably not. The fact we are actually concerned about 18 now is actually a testament to the development they've done to her (same with 17 but the androids have been so on points).

Goku's stamina goes back to w/e zenkai and the fact that you don't start off a fight sprinting metaphor. He's taking it slow and easy and then going full-force. We even saw him just go God form instead of Blue during the fight. As far as we're aware UI only happens when Goku is completely tapped and goes Bruce Lee "be the water" form, if it evolves further from that eh; I kind of like the be the water completely tapped version.

edit:
Merry Christmas!
I hope you are joking.
Why would you be concerned about somebody dying in a series where you can wish anyone back? You know she will be alive in the EoZ so from that viewpoint it is also pointless. Not to mention it should be instant disqualification for U3. This is fake tension the level of Fairy Tail.
Those are serious issues since they are story damaging elements.

also the way you excuse how Goku can recover his stamina by wasting much more stamina is a complete contradiction of what was established in the manga and the anime. How is Goku taking it easier against a far stronger opponent? He used SSJG which does waste stamina right after.
Even if we apply your logic, Goku should have been completely immobilized after the second time he ran out of stamina or the moment he went God instead of SSJ which he mastered to be closest to his base. But he can waste his entire energy, then recover it completely right after. This is called plot shielding.
also this is not how you get a zenkai. You don't just recover from a near death situation and regain your stamina while fighting like this is some kind of friendly sparing match to warm up.

Youre assuming getting eaten = dying. Theyre robots, no digestive enzymes
So it was stated the scientist is also a robot or that he became a fully mechanical being?
In case he is a robot, the teammates that got swallowed can be brought back into the ring and only knocking that thing out would cost them a teammate for destroying another universe. There is literally no winning for Universe 3 by doing that especially since the swallowed characters could either free themselves by attacking from the inside or weaken him to the point that he can't fight the ones outside.
and Goku can let himself get swallowed and free everybody with Instant Transmission.

No matter how you look at it, it is stupid.

"Are people blinded by the pretty colors so much?"
Literally that is it. This show's pacing is so fast paced that it literally feels like this is meant to appeal to young children and their ever decreasing attention spans since the late 1970s. Everything looks so fast paced, none of it has the tension of DB/Z/GT, and this entire series doesn't feel like Toriyama at all.

Whenever someone tells me that Super is canon (I don't care about canon, but these people do) by the logic of Toriyama "wrote" this, I have to laugh because this literally feels like a generic kids show, (to be fair, it literally is, but geez this goes too far) with the feminized plot and characters of Naruto, One Piece, etc..

Also Merry Christmas all!

Last edited:

Don Honchkrorleone

On eating 18, who must be delicious might I add, I can think of three logical scenarios that exclude the Zen-oh found it cool.

1. Aniraza isn't conscious and upon fusing went full berserk. Once Papparoni and the robots merge he becomes a mere destroying machine. So he may have forgotten that it'd be against the rules.

2. He wouldn't necessarily digest, just swallow her. Probably he'd have a pocket dimension or some shit like that in his stomach that would lock 18. Heck, he can Dimensional Fist, so it's plausible that it could work like that. So when he was eliminated 18 would be too.

3. Aniraza's plan wasn't eating per se, but putting 18 in his mouth and spitting her out of the ring. It's Toriyama so that seems really likely a silly gag like that would pass.

In any case, it was all tension building for a 17 moment and a payback when 18 saved him.

And Merry Christmas!

On eating 18, who must be delicious might I add, I can think of three logical scenarios that exclude the Zen-oh found it cool.

1. Aniraza isn't conscious and upon fusing went full berserk. Once Papparoni and the robots merge he becomes a mere destroying machine. So he may have forgotten that it'd be against the rules.

2. He wouldn't necessarily digest, just swallow her. Probably he'd have a pocket dimension or some shit like that in his stomach that would lock 18. Heck, he can Dimensional Fist, so it's plausible that it could work like that. So when he was eliminated 18 would be too.

3. Aniraza's plan wasn't eating per se, but putting 18 in his mouth and spitting her out of the ring. It's Toriyama so that seems really likely a silly gag like that would pass.

In any case, it was all tension building for a 17 moment and a payback when 18 saved him.

And Merry Christmas!
You literally included another reason why Super has no tension. Zenoh is literally representing a DBS fanboy excusing all the nonsense because they think something is cool. Frost was erased because he would have ruined how awesome Frieza was for that one moment, fans don't want that irrelevant character to do that because not cool, bro. and not because it is against the rules, since there were no rules you couldn't attack from outside.
Same for Potara Fusion.

Marry Christmas

and funny you mentioned the dimensional fist. The show made it very clear it works exactly like how Janemba's, so why didn't he create a portal below each character and let all the fighters drop out below the ring? Oh right, the tournament wouldn't be exicting and it would only make sense.

also this is just trying to find excuses for a non sensical sense for the sake of excusing it. The show has to explain itself, not us with our headcanon assuming that he might split them out or something.

Lastly, why weren't the Universe 3 gods concerned that when their monster was about to eat somebody if they knew he went berserk? It would made them even less competent than they already are.

There are too many holes to cover in just one scene.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Recently watched pretty much all of Super - Entertaining (usually). I had never watched Subbed DB / Z / GT before, so that is a bit jarring (Goku's high-pitched voice) but still enjoyable.

Adding to the hype train with today's episode. Will be interesting to see how long they can stretch 8 minutes of the tournament.... Is there any news at all for an arc following the ToP?

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Personally, I don't mind the fact that every episode represents 1-2 minutes. Obviously it's a bit of a stretch, but you do have to keep in mind that they're showing multiple conversations and fights, most of which are happening simultaneously. Nothing is happening off-screen which I happen to enjoy. Plus the animation and pacing is top notch, so if anything their biggest mistake was deciding on the tournament being 48 minutes, would've made more sense if it was a few hours (or last man standing no time limit).

So uh the new ending sequence shows Vegeta's UI form! O__O It looks slightly different than Goku's. But I definitely think it was inevitable that he'd get UI once he saw Goku do it. Hype-ity hype hype!
But this leaves one question: Just how powerful is Jiren? Because if he can handle two UI's, it means he's ridiculous. Next up, Jiren's UI! XD

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So uh the new ending sequence shows Vegeta's UI form! O__O It looks slightly different than Goku's. But I definitely think it was inevitable that he'd get UI once he saw Goku do it. Hype-ity hype hype!
But this leaves one question: Just how powerful is Jiren? Because if he can handle two UI's, it means he's ridiculous. Next up, Jiren's UI! XD
I'm pretty sure it isn't UI, he even said that Goku can have UI, he'll beat Jiren his own way. I'd prefer it this way, finally give Goku and Vegeta two separate paths of powering up. SSJG2 or whatever we're probably going to call it looks dope as heck anyway.

Matthew

I admit I'd rather see a ssjg2, but it looks almost identical to Goku's UI, with very small but distinctive differences
Spoiler: http://www.gamechup.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/goku-vegeta-new-forms.jpeg

Edit: Although seeing the picture above, it seems almost like he finds a balance between Super Saiyan God Blue and UI. It has elements of both.
I think he still has his god ki, that's why he's blue. UI is body is in control where Vegeta has his mind. That's how I see it

Matthew

I admit I'd rather see a ssjg2, but it looks almost identical to Goku's UI, with very small but distinctive differences
Spoiler: http://www.gamechup.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/goku-vegeta-new-forms.jpeg

Edit: Although seeing the picture above, it seems almost like he finds a balance between Super Saiyan God Blue and UI. It has elements of both.
fucking called it

EDIT:
still don't know what to call it or if it's the 'attack' version of UI (assuming Goku is the defensive version), though I like Super Saiyan Beyond (SSJBB) or Super Sayian Limit (SSJBI). I mean I suppose the official version will come out.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)