ORAS OU Edited:Gen 6 team(1400 elo)

Introduction
I have been gone from the meta-game for awhile, and i am slowly trying to work my way back into. This is my first team I've tested out since my comeback. I am using 5 of my favorite pokemon in the process, and enjoying it alot. I am not at that high elo peck yet and would love some feedback. Currently at 1421 elo.

Team Breakdown

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam

The main lead for the team. Entry hazard set-up. Often i just start hitting with the stab Earthpower/Sludgewave. Ice beam for the aerodactyl/gliscor leads asap. Against psychic leads it gives me a free switch into Hydreigon for the psychic immunity.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

MegaZam is a big problem solver for this team. Outspeeding threats that hyrdeigon can not deal with like MegaGard, MegaZardy, and pesky fighting types. He fits very well into this team and becomes a late game carry.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 124 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Trick

I really enjoy this jirachi set. Choice/IronHead 1 hits MegaGard, Clefable. Clears the way for hydreigon and MegaZam to do their work. Trick to cripple Wishtanks/Ferrothorn/skarmory. Heal wish is really just the icing on the cake being able to put on of the carries back at full.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Roost

Here to just do Damage. Deals with Bisharp/Scizor/Mew. Good psychic immunity for both Nidoqueen and Machamp. Was running Hasty w/superpower set, but i found out i did not have a way to deal with scizor. Adding in Flamethrower really helped, took some threats of the list.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Whenever i Build a team RotomW is on there. With this team he does his job well. Talonflame/Lando-T/Excadrill check. Volt switch momentum, as well as helping face tank certain attacks the rest of the team cannot. Helps against Volcanion/Keldeo

Machamp @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam
- Bullet Punch

The Heavy hitting man himself. has come in clutch alot of games. knock off either 1hits or 2hits the psychic switchins expecting the dynamic punch, then finishing off bullet punch. Assault vest alows him to tank the special grass hits RotomW cannot. Knock off has helping alot against the commonly used switchins Gliscor/Landorus/Skarmory. Heavy slam hits Slyveon/Whimiscott HARD. Bullet punch for the Sashs. Then dynamic punch for chanseys/umbreons.
Threats

MegaZard Y is very annoying. with the only water/electric coverage being rotomw/ but not wanting to get Solar beam'd. most of the time i gotta wear it down with nidoqueen/machamp then finish him off with megaZam

Keldeo always an annoying poke. if rotom is gone he becomes a problem.

MegaGard with 3 of the team being weak to hypervoice/psychic, can be hard to play around. need to kill it fast before it kills the team.

Azelf leads. when they turn 1 nasty plot with sash. is very hard for my team to deal with.

Scizor can be a problem if hydreigon is gone.

Last edited:
Hello, welcome to Smogon. 1st I'll address the issue of Machamp. It is an unviable pokemon in the current meta, because its speed is slow, its damage output is kind of weak, and it is overly reliant on opposing pokemon hurting themselves due to confusion.

Rotom actually loses to Volcanion and Keldeo, so replace Hydreigon with Latios.

Your EVs are weird for Jirachi and Nidoqueen, and I wouldn't run 3 psychics on a team in this meta.

I don't know what your goal was here, it looks like you just slapped your favorites together and called it good. So here is the VR, please look at it, and if you want, I'll help you re-learn the building process.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
IHi, and welcome to Smogon! I'll try to give you a decent rate (which is kinda hard on my phone lol) and hopefully help you improve as a player.
Before we start, I wanted to address that some of the pokemon you're using are unviable in OU, namely Nidoqueen and Machamp. Nidoqueen is just a worse Nidoking and shouldn't be used over Nidoking. Stealth Rocks isn't exactly the best option on it because you need the coverage of flamethrower, but we'll get onto that later. Machamp on the other side is absolutely unviable in the tier and there's no reason to use it. It's outclassed as a Fightig-type Wallbreaker by Terrakion Medicham and Keldeo and its Assault Vest set doesn't do a great job at taking hits.
With that out of the way, these are some massive threats I've noticed:
Mega Diancie: Scarf Jirachi is the only fairy resist and it can't reliable take on Diancie due to no SpDef investment and lack of lefties. Only counterplay is revenge-killing with Alakazam and hoping it doesn't come in too many times.
Charizard-Y: Ohkos every single member of your team besides maybe Zam and AV Machamp (can't check calcs atm) but it also gets a kill every time it comes in.
Offensive M-zor: Can potentially get +2 on Scarf Jirachi and then sweep you with rocks up and some damage on Nidoqueen
Keldeo: Nothing on your team takes the combination of Secret Sword and Scald reliably so you either predict perfectly or lose a mon every time it comes in.
There are more threats but these are some I noticed after taking a look at the team once. Now these are some changes that might help:
Change Scarf Jirachi to SpDef Jirachi This variant is a more reliable Fairy check, and since you're using Hydreigon this could help. You can find the set on its Smogon analysis but it's basically Stealth Rocks Iron Head U-Turn Healing Wish with max hp 224 SpDef 32 Speed.
Rocky Helmet Landorus-T over Nidoqueen A threat I didn't mention earlier is Moldbreaker Scarf Excadrill, which can easily best your team after weakening Rotom-W a bit. Landorus both provides a better rocker than Nidoqueen and helps with Excadrill, while also being a nice pivot for Hydreigon with U-Turn.
Latios over Machamp. This provides you with a Charizard-Y and Keldeo check, which otherwise run over your team. It also forms a nice DragonSpam core with Hydreigon. You can make Latios Colbur Berry which helps you against Dark-types because triple psychichs could be a hard matchup against Bisharp and friends.
Lastly, I'd recommend Keldeo over Rotom-w. I know you said you always use Rotom and it's a good pokemon, but you need a dark resist that doesn't lose to Weavile and Keldeo is the best bet imo. Also helps your team not being walled by Chansey so stall is less annoying because you can force out Chansey due to the Secret Sword.
Now, onto some spreads/movesets:
Protect Mega-Zam is an interesting option and is useful to avoid getting chipped away by Fake Out M-Lopunny. I would still consider using Substitute as it allows you to avoid status and Sucker Punch Bisharp.
On Hydreigon, I think the Specs set is more viable than LO, mainly because you don't get too many opportunities to Roost and its Stab moves are so spammable you will be clicking dark pulse most of the time.
I hope these changes help your team and help you peak higher, good luck on the ladder
NOTE: I didn't write some of the sets I recommended because I'm on my phone but if you need them I can edit this later with the sets :]
Edit:
just realized I recommended double rocks users lol, guess that's what happens when you rate from your phone. Anyways, you may want to run either body slam on Jirachi to paralyze common switchins like Landorus-T or Heatran; or Toxic to cripple fat grounds like Hippowdon and Landorus-T or Slowbro. Another option is running SD on Landorus-T over rocks to pressure Scizor/Clefable.

Last edited:
Ok, you did what I was trying to avoid.

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 105-125 (32.5 - 38.6%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 94-110 (29.1 - 34%) -- 2.6% chance to 3HKO
Try to limit the psychics to two, Keldeo doesn't have recovery, so it gets down very easily.

I shuffled things around and ended up with this
Alakazam @ Alakazite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Roost
- Defog

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 172 SpD / 88 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Taunt

Zam: Removed HP-f IVs, Substitute to lessen risk of R-killing
Hydre >> Latios: Actually be able to switch into Keldeo
Rotom: 128 spe outruns adamant Bisharp.
Jirachi >> Scizor: actually kill stuff, provide pivot.
Nidoqueen >> Landorus-T: SR setter and wallbreaker that also checks stuff

EDIT: Missed a mon, added to Talonflame

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 105-125 (32.5 - 38.6%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 94-110 (29.1 - 34%) -- 2.6% chance to 3HKO
Try to limit the psychics to two, Keldeo doesn't have recovery, so it gets down very easily.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Roost
- Defog

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Talonflame
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Taunt

While I do admit that your variant is very solid, I just wanted to say that removing Hydreigon kinda changes the main goal of the team. I know that he didn't write what his team acomplishes but judging by the build you could assume this is the kind of Breaker(s)+Late game cleaner Bulky Offense where the main breakers are Nido and Hydreigon. Now I did remove Nidoqueen because I didn't feel its breaking potential was needed, otherwise I would've replaced it with Nidoking. But by removing Hydreigon I think the team starts to go away from what he was trying to do. Yes, Hydreigon+Alakazam isn't exactly the best offensive core but at least I feel that it's what he "built around" and should be kept. Don't misunderstand me, your rate is pretty good but just wanted to explain that I tried to stick to what I thought his core was. While I was rating I knew that I would end up with triple psychichs and that it would be an issue, maybe there are other ways around those fairys besides Jirachi but I can't think of any atm (besides maybe Skarm but that doesn't fit on offense). Colbur Latios is actually surprisingly good at luring Weavile because they always click knock. The Evs on Rotom is something I'd run and helps with Bisharp and maybe even RestTalk LO Keldeo which has more survivability. Anyways, I think there are enough ways around dark-types to where it isn't a 6-0 from team preview

Hello, welcome to Smogon. 1st I'll address the issue of Machamp. It is an unviable pokemon in the current meta, because its speed is slow, its damage output is kind of weak, and it is overly reliant on opposing pokemon hurting themselves due to confusion.

Rotom actually loses to Volcanion and Keldeo, so replace Hydreigon with Latios.

Your EVs are weird for Jirachi and Nidoqueen, and I wouldn't run 3 psychics on a team in this meta.

I don't know what your goal was here, it looks like you just slapped your favorites together and called it good. So here is the VR, please look at it, and if you want, I'll help you re-learn the building process.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Roost
- Defog

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Talonflame
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Taunt

Thanks alot for the welcoming and the input, I appreciate them. I never called my team good, i knew there was definitely room for improve meant since i haven't played in awhile. I had no clue about nidoqueen and machamp being that bad atm, so i can see Lando-t being more viable. The start team only has 2 psychics Zam/Jirachi. MegaZam/Hydreigon was the core i started with knowing hydreigon could be changed for a better pokemon,which latios is probably the best bet. I like the Scizor choice over Jirachi alot, and will probably make that change after i try out SpDef Jirachi. I like that RotomW spread, its unique and ive never seen one like that before, i will definitely try that out. I normally dont play Talonflame but i will for sure try out the team/changes you suggested. Thanks again.

Last edited:
IHi, and welcome to Smogon! I'll try to give you a decent rate (which is kinda hard on my phone lol) and hopefully help you improve as a player.
Before we start, I wanted to address that some of the pokemon you're using are unviable in OU, namely Nidoqueen and Machamp. Nidoqueen is just a worse Nidoking and shouldn't be used over Nidoking. Stealth Rocks isn't exactly the best option on it because you need the coverage of flamethrower, but we'll get onto that later. Machamp on the other side is absolutely unviable in the tier and there's no reason to use it. It's outclassed as a Fightig-type Wallbreaker by Terrakion Medicham and Keldeo and its Assault Vest set doesn't do a great job at taking hits.
With that out of the way, these are some massive threats I've noticed:
Mega Diancie: Scarf Jirachi is the only fairy resist and it can't reliable take on Diancie due to no SpDef investment and lack of lefties. Only counterplay is revenge-killing with Alakazam and hoping it doesn't come in too many times.
Charizard-Y: Ohkos every single member of your team besides maybe Zam and AV Machamp (can't check calcs atm) but it also gets a kill every time it comes in.
Offensive M-zor: Can potentially get +2 on Scarf Jirachi and then sweep you with rocks up and some damage on Nidoqueen
Keldeo: Nothing on your team takes the combination of Secret Sword and Scald reliably so you either predict perfectly or lose a mon every time it comes in.
There are more threats but these are some I noticed after taking a look at the team once. Now these are some changes that might help:
Change Scarf Jirachi to SpDef Jirachi This variant is a more reliable Fairy check, and since you're using Hydreigon this could help. You can find the set on its Smogon analysis but it's basically Stealth Rocks Iron Head U-Turn Healing Wish with max hp 224 SpDef 32 Speed.
Rocky Helmet Landorus-T over Nidoqueen A threat I didn't mention earlier is Moldbreaker Scarf Excadrill, which can easily best your team after weakening Rotom-W a bit. Landorus both provides a better rocker than Nidoqueen and helps with Excadrill, while also being a nice pivot for Hydreigon with U-Turn.
Latios over Machamp. This provides you with a Charizard-Y and Keldeo check, which otherwise run over your team. It also forms a nice DragonSpam core with Hydreigon. You can make Latios Colbur Berry which helps you against Dark-types because triple psychichs could be a hard matchup against Bisharp and friends.
Lastly, I'd recommend Keldeo over Rotom-w. I know you said you always use Rotom and it's a good pokemon, but you need a dark resist that doesn't lose to Weavile and Keldeo is the best bet imo. Also helps your team not being walled by Chansey so stall is less annoying because you can force out Chansey due to the Secret Sword.
Now, onto some spreads/movesets:
Protect Mega-Zam is an interesting option and is useful to avoid getting chipped away by Fake Out M-Lopunny. I would still consider using Substitute as it allows you to avoid status and Sucker Punch Bisharp.
On Hydreigon, I think the Specs set is more viable than LO, mainly because you don't get too many opportunities to Roost and its Stab moves are so spammable you will be clicking dark pulse most of the time.
I hope these changes help your team and help you peak higher, good luck on the ladder
NOTE: I didn't write some of the sets I recommended because I'm on my phone but if you need them I can edit this later with the sets :]
Edit:
just realized I recommended double rocks users lol, guess that's what happens when you rate from your phone. Anyways, you may want to run either body slam on Jirachi to paralyze common switchins like Landorus-T or Heatran; or Toxic to cripple fat grounds like Hippowdon and Landorus-T or Slowbro. Another option is running SD on Landorus-T over rocks to pressure Scizor/Clefable.
While I do admit that your variant is very solid, I just wanted to say that removing Hydreigon kinda changes the main goal of the team. I know that he didn't write what his team acomplishes but judging by the build you could assume this is the kind of Breaker(s)+Late game cleaner Bulky Offense where the main breakers are Nido and Hydreigon. Now I did remove Nidoqueen because I didn't feel its breaking potential was needed, otherwise I would've replaced it with Nidoking. But by removing Hydreigon I think the team starts to go away from what he was trying to do. Yes, Hydreigon+Alakazam isn't exactly the best offensive core but at least I feel that it's what he "built around" and should be kept. Don't misunderstand me, your rate is pretty good but just wanted to explain that I tried to stick to what I thought his core was. While I was rating I knew that I would end up with triple psychichs and that it would be an issue, maybe there are other ways around those fairys besides Jirachi but I can't think of any atm (besides maybe Skarm but that doesn't fit on offense). Colbur Latios is actually surprisingly good at luring Weavile because they always click knock. The Evs on Rotom is something I'd run and helps with Bisharp and maybe even RestTalk LO Keldeo which has more survivability. Anyways, I think there are enough ways around dark-types to where it isn't a 6-0 from team preview
Thank you for the welcome, and the immense input you gave, i appreciate them both. honestly helped me understand more in OU. You knew what my team was accomplishing before i did, and you nailed it. MegaZam/Hydreigon was my original core, and i appreciate you keeping them in while constructing your version of a better team. I had no clue Nidoqueen/Machamp were that bad atm, i was hoping machamp was in a better place. I see Lando-T being much better then Nidoqueen, especially since you both suggested it. RockyHelm or Leftovers on Lando-T? Latios Colburberry sounds like an interesting option and i will definitely try it out. I do like the Scizor choice over Jirachi, but ill try SpDef Jirachi first. Keldeo Seems like a good choice over Rotom, but ill try the 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spe RotomW before i switch him out. I appreciate you input alot, and will try all of your suggestions. Thanks again.

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
Thank you for the welcome, and the immense input you gave, i appreciate them both. honestly helped me understand more in OU. You knew what my team was accomplishing before i did, and you nailed it. MegaZam/Hydreigon was my original core, and i appreciate you keeping them in while constructing your version of a better team. I had no clue Nidoqueen/Machamp were that bad atm, i was hoping machamp was in a better place. I see Lando-T being much better then Nidoqueen, especially since you both suggested it. RockyHelm or Leftovers on Lando-T? Latios Colburberry sounds like an interesting option and i will definitely try it out. I do like the Scizor choice over Jirachi, but ill try SpDef Jirachi first. Keldeo Seems like a good choice over Rotom, but ill try the 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spe RotomW before i switch him out. I appreciate you input alot, and will try all of your suggestions. Thanks again.
Rocky Helmet is the most common item on defensive Landorus and my personal favourite because it lets you wear down opposing physical attackers and is nice overall. Colbur Latios is a very underused Lati set because without its Life Orb it loses some wallbreaking power, but I still had to use it in your team because luring some threatening dark types takes some pressure off of Keldeo. Btw make sure to try both teams and avoid mixing them up by let's say using Hydreigon>Latios on his team or scizor>jirachi on mine, these pokemon fulfill different roles and that's why changing a team isn't the best idea. Good luck with the ladder :]

Rocky Helmet is the most common item on defensive Landorus and my personal favourite because it lets you wear down opposing physical attackers and is nice overall. Colbur Latios is a very underused Lati set because without its Life Orb it loses some wallbreaking power, but I still had to use it in your team because luring some threatening dark types takes some pressure off of Keldeo. Btw make sure to try both teams and avoid mixing them up by let's say using Hydreigon>Latios on his team or scizor>jirachi on mine, these pokemon fulfill different roles and that's why changing a team isn't the best idea. Good luck with the ladder :]
Agree 100%, mixing suggestions here isn't the best idea, as each of us had a different outlook of what the end game was supposed to look like. Slight nitpick on my part, rotom is supposed to have 248 hp / 132 def / 128 spe, because Stealth Rock deals more damage each switch in with even HP (Lando-T needs it to live Mega-Manetric's HP-Ice however). Anyhow, I got a replay for you: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-490548520 so you can have a broader idea of how my changes work, sorry my explanations are a little lacking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)