Elaborate Hypotheticals

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This has in the past been firebot content but let's try this in cong, seeing as serious discussion tends to make them more fun than a stream of snarky jokes.

Please do not post your own elaborate hypothetical unless discussion on the previous one has pretty much petered out, in which case, you should definitely feel free to post a new one.

EDIT: huge version here

Last edited:

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
body: pearl
mind: chrysocolla
social: aquamarine
companiom: agate
curse: garnet

I can read ppl's thoughts and issue decrees, and if anything goes south i wont need to eat while I run from the remains of my despotic varchy. and I've always wanted a robot buddy

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This CYOA sucks; all you have to do to game it is find the least bad curse and blend whatever you want. No shortcuts to immortality in this one though, and the social slot seems to be overall the biggest factor between them. The pyrite is also incredibly good in all of its slots, which makes picking its incredibly forgiving curse a non-option.

Body: painite, gain superpowers. Seconded by aquamarine, chrysocolla, amber, or malachite. All the bodies are fairly practical and equal.
Mind: Chrysocolla
Social: Flintstone. Works in tandem with the above two so I can build a following. I think other good combos are agate for mind and pyrite for protection in social, but then I think the downside is you'd wind up becoming some version of CaptainKirby
Companion: Pyrite. Make your own followers.
Curse: aquamarine, who needs to break laws?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Body: Garnet - Work in progress right now.
Mind: Chrysocolla - Would make socializing easier when necessary.
Social: Malachite - Loner so I like to be left alone.
Companion: Pyrite - Got bills to pay and goes hand in hand with the Social Stone I chose.
Curse: Aquamarine - Is this really a curse?

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
body: pearl
mind: chrysocolla
social: painite
companion: pyrite
curse: aquamarine

first of all i think one of these needs to be "gives better eye sight so you can actually read the jpg"

but i chose pearl for body because you can just kinda chill and be alive and that's p nice. chrysocolla for mind because you can read minds and thoughts and the more you get to know people the better you can read their thoughts (and frankly i wouldn't want to read the thoughts of anyone i didn't know, like who cares?) i chose painite for social because if everyone wants to hang out with you and the more they do the more they want to, you can a) get better at reading minds and b) it takes care of companions in itself, which opens up pyrite for companionship, because then you get money to go along w/all the people who want to spend time with you. nice. then the curse i picked aquamarine because i don't really want to break any laws, so it wouldn't affect me anyway.

internet

my despotic varchy.
cool choices - although I have a question. Is varchy pronounced farchy or vee-archy?

This CYOA sucks;
rude

Aquamarine - Is this really a curse?
lots of people love breaking the law, whether it be to take drugs, pirate media, or jaywalk. If you're not one of these people, power to you.

first of all i think one of these needs to be "gives better eye sight so you can actually read the jpg"
It's small, but not tiny, at least in my opinion. Cool choices, thanks for playing.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
body: garnet. you get to be in shape, but not a fucking freak like the flintstone makes you.
mind: amber. ive always had this fantasy of being some zen monk on a mountain somewhere. but the issue is i just get anxiety way too easy. this would fix that.
social: pearl. goes with the mind-amber. helps you be at peace.
companion: pyrite. as if i would choose anything else, this makes everything else in your life so much more freeing.
curse: agate. originally thought about picking the aquamarine. but then i couldnt torrent anime and music anymore.

body slot: Aquamarine or chrysocolla. Wings are cool and so is flying, no real negatives to aquamarine unless the wings have to be out at all time. Chrysocolla would help because I don't like the way I look but the negative is you have to look like someone you know, which could be pretty awkward even if by yourself.
Special shoutouts to Pearl because you don't have to care about yourself i think.

Mind: Pearl. Always wanted to know what happens in my little dog's head. Or any animal really.

Social: Painite or Pearl. Don't really have any opinions that lean me towards one or the other.

Companion: Flintstone or Garnet. I dont know of many extinct animals but im sure theres one cool one that would make a good companion. Garnet is also nice because thats what I already seek in life. Although I feel thats more my position in a relationship rather than my partners... Also maybe pyrite because having stuff is cool

Curse: Pyrite. Contrary to the Companion Pyrite choice, I don't really care about money, and wouldn't mind donating my money.

body: the pearl
Just think of how much delicious food I could eat and all I need to do is take a week break once in a while? I'm SOLD!

mind: the flintstone
An extremely powerful ability, and a combo with my chosen curse. Kind of sad that I miss out on a pet velociraptor though.

social: the amber
An easy way to make money while not getting bored of not doing anything. + other potential uses

companion: the painite
Always go with the supernatural.

curse: the agate
Life needs some spice.

Body - Pearl
As a 23 year old male who lives with my girlfriend, money is tight around our house. I would consider myself to be a pretty smart shopper when it comes to grocery shopping, but we still spend about $250 a month on food. If I could save a good chunk of that money on food every month, it would open a lot more avenues for me to be able to travel and do other things I want to do. The convenience of being able to just eat for pleasure would also be nice, as all those extra hours preparing, eating, and cleaning up after meals would be mine to use elsewhere. Finally, and probably the biggest thing, is that I have insomnia and that leads me to use caffeine as a crutch to get through the day. Being able to get extra energy from sunlight might be able to fix that problem, and let me live a more normalized life.

Mind - Pyrate
As a Social Studies major, I have a pretty good understanding of Economics, Investment, and Finances. But up until this point I've not really had the capital to make heavy investments, and even if I'm not much of a risk taker. Being able to know the right way to invest my money and to have them be successful would help me to better help others in my life and open opportunities for me to live the life I would like to in my summers off from work

Social - Agate
As someone in the field of education, this seems like the greatest gift of all. The amount of lives I could affect would be astonishing. Teacher of the year forever, here I come...

Companion - Flintstone
I'd be friends with a Woolly Mammoth! Not only are they good methods of transportation, but elephants can also use tools, understand human body language, show empathy, and feel a wide variety of emotions. Elephants are the best animal, and so a fuzzy elephant would be the best companion.

Curse - Aquamarine
Besides the fact that I couldn't go slightly over the speed limit and I can't throw those curly light-bulbs in the trash anymore outside of convenience, I don't think it'll be too hard to follow all of the weird laws where I live.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I like this type of relaxing cerebral exercice.

Body: Pearl
Being able to live like a plant sounds nice if you don't have that much money. Not only does it make you fit, but it also allows you to save money, that can go towards, say... materials?

Mind: Agate
Hell yeah, being creative is one of the best blessings you could get. You can do whatever you want for a living because your ideas work. It also brings personal satisfaction.

Social: Garnet
Inspiring people while being a scientist can probably lead to world changes, which is good in my book.

Companion: Aquamarine or Chrysocolla
On the one hand, you get lawyers to work with you for free, so no worries about patent laws about your inventions.
On the other hand, a copy of yourself should get the same powers from the stones you get and you could work twice as fast on your inventions -or split between fields. Endless possibilities!

Curse: Pyrite
As others have said, I wouldn't mind donating money (and one tenth isn't even that much). You should get plenty of money from what you create anyway.

Last edited:

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Body: Malachite. In large part because I'm trans and suddenly I don't have dysphoria anymore.

Mind: Agate. What sort of power would be better than "has really good ideas all the time"?

Social: Aquamarine. I could use it to end war and hunger and all of the -isms and more.

Companion: Painite. I mean, shapeshifting loyal minor demon. What's not to love?

Curse: Pyrite. I was already planning on doing this! Yay effective altruism!

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Body: Chrysocolla
Boredom would be nonexistent. I would morph into people I know and get into all types of mischief, morph back and call it a day. Could literally walk a day in someone else's shoes so that would be amazing, as well.

Mind: Pearl
I've always wondered how animals and plants think, now I know.

Social: Pyrite
Nobody being able to screw you on a deal or break a promise would be very helpful, think about it.

Companion: Flintstone
Having a pet Velociraptor would be excellent. Six foot tall guard dog that walks on hind legs, has razor sharp teeth, and razor sharp claws. I'll take two!

Curse: Amber
The lesser of evils from how I see it. I will take bad odor over the others.

Aquamarine curse would be really mildly but frequently inconvenient depending on how you interpret it (is listening to a song on youtube that's not uploaded by the official copyright owner illegal?). Would probably make driving anywhere a massive pita as most people seem to go over the speed limit regularly on a lot of roads.

Malachite for Mind would also be amazing as the way it's worded, it sounds like you could potentially use it to effectively heal people with severe mental disorders and be an impossibly good therapist who only needs to work an hour a week, and having an intelligent pet for a friend would be great too, but I like the body version better.

Body: Malachite
Seems to be basically limited immortality as you're switching to a new body after a year. You don't have to worry about your health long-term, even destructive behavior is pretty much safe as it doesn't kill you immediately.

Mind: Pyrite
Social: Agate
Expert mind for investment/business + constantly meeting people with good ideas (for both inventions and creative works) means you're basically one of the hosts from Shark Tank with a lot less effort. You could make tons of money quickly and even buy off ideas that you really personally care about and want to develop, and be very good at handling those.

Companion: Painite
Shapeshifting demon that you can command sounds like it would be able to do some pretty fun stuff and makes personal safety a non-issue. Also the only one that provides any benefit in the afterlife which is cool I guess

Curse: Garnet
Kinda vague but it doesn't seem like a huge impediment to anything as far as the remaining curses go.

internet

I'm liking the responses to this thread (as evidenced by me liking them), but it'd be cool if there were some discussion. try telling other people their choices are bad and they should feel bad. thank you for your time.

Body: Malachite. I wouldn't even change myself much, maybe just drop like 10-15 pounds, add some muscle and cure any health problems I'm unaware of, but being unaging and practically immortal (unless you die in a freak accident or something) sounds great.

Mind: Agate. Being one of the greatest scientist/author/thinkers etc in the world sounds too good to pass up.

Social: Aquamarine. I'm practically the undisputed tyrant of the world. Force rich people to redistribute their wealth (of course I'm entitled to a share), free housing, healthcare and education for everyone, unban Salamence and Garchomp from Gen 4 OU etc, plus put whatever great ideas I have thanks to agate in the mind slot. This is so OP I don't know why anyone would choose another gem to this slot.

Companion: Painite. A loyal shapeshifting demon? The possibilities are pretty much endless.

Curse: Pyrite. This isn't even bad and aquamarine in the social slot pretty much invalidates this. Yeah sure I'll donate some of my wealth, but I can always get more.

Last edited:
I'm liking the responses to this thread (as evidenced by me liking them), but it'd be cool if there were some discussion. try telling other people their choices are bad and they should feel bad. thank you for your time.
I think everyone who chooses the billion dollars is a scumbag. There's no such thing as free money and I don't think having this much money without doing any work is satisfying or leads to a satisfying life experience. In my opinion it's a trap because people don't realize the implications.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Body: Malachite. I wouldn't even change myself much, maybe just drop like 10-15 pounds, add some muscle and cure any health problems I'm unaware of, but being unaging and practically immortal (unless you die in a freak accident or something) sounds great.

Mind: Agate. Being one of the greatest scientist/author/thinkers etc in the world sounds too good to pass up.

Social: Aquamarine. I'm practically the undisputed tyrant of the world. Force rich people to redistribute their wealth (of course I'm entitled to a share), free housing, healthcare and education for everyone, unban Salamence and Garchomp from Gen 4 OU etc, plus put whatever great ideas I have thanks to agate in the mind slot. This is so OP I don't know why anyone would choose another gem to this slot.

Companion: Painite. A loyal shapeshifting demon? The possibilities are pretty much endless.

Curse: Pyrite. This isn't even bad and aquamarine in the social slot pretty much invalidates this. Yeah sure I'll donate some of my wealth, but I can always get more.
Hey, I chose the exact same ones! Cool!

your choice to not do your own is bad!

I think everyone who chooses the billion dollars is a scumbag. There's no such thing as free money and I don't think having this much money without doing any work is satisfying or leads to a satisfying life experience. In my opinion it's a trap because people don't realize the implications.
I mean, I kinda see what you're saying, but a job isn't the only path to fulfillment. Having financial concerns removed from your life frees you up to focus on things you might value more. If someone offered me a billion dollars I'd probably take it and then start studying programming to make video games or something without changing my actual lifestyle too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)