Feraligatr

Encourage has been proven to negate Life Orb recoil on Encourage-boosted moves, while still keeping the boost.

So yeah, Feraligatr is sounding pretty beast with all this stuff! I think he'll be the offensive choice over Gyarados this choice, but Gyara will retain a nice niche with the Flying-type and Intimidate. Overall, pretty cool for the alligator. (:

Encourage has been proven to negate Life Orb recoil on Encourage-boosted moves, while still keeping the boost.

So yeah, Feraligatr is sounding pretty beast with all this stuff! I think he'll be the offensive choice over Gyarados this choice, but Gyara will retain a nice niche with the Flying-type and Intimidate. Overall, pretty cool for the alligator. (:
Srsly?! =O Well that's news to me. If that's the case, then Crunch is an even better option over Earthquake than I first thought.

Note about Encourage: It only negates the LO recoil if the move it's using gets the Encourage boost. Still, it's really good for Feraligatr, since most of its common moves are boosted by Encourage. Earthquake and Aqua Jet aren't, but if you run DD/Water/Ice Punch/Crunch, you'd essentially get a free LO boost.

He certainly does deserve more hype. I personally can't wait until he's released. Great bulk + DD + Waterfall + Crunch + Ice Punch and No LO Recoil is unreal. STAB +1 LO Rain Boosted Encouraged Waterfall = 456 base power.
Where are you getting 465 base power? Apparently I have no idea how the damage multipliers are stacked. I get 264 base power when I calculate it.

80 x 1.5(STAB) x 1.3(LO) x 1.3(Encourage) x1.5(Rain) x1.5 (+1 from DD) = 465.3

One turn setup in the rain. Gosh.
I wasn't aware they all stacked like that. I figured you'd add the multipliers together, then multiply the base power.

x1.5 = +50%

80 x (50% + 30% + 30% + 50% + 50%) = B
80 x 210% = B
80 x 2.1 = B
168 = B

So all the boosts (using my formula) add 168 base power, then add that to the original base power of 80 and you get 248 base power. I made a mistake in my first one, thinking that encourage was a 50% bonus, instead of 30%.

Is there a page with formulas for figuring this out on the site somewhere? I just to make sure your way is correct. 468 base power in addition to strength seems a little ridiculous.

I wasn't aware they all stacked like that. I figured you'd add the multipliers together, then multiply the base power.

x1.5 = +50%

80 x (50% + 30% + 30% + 50% + 50%) = B
80 x 210% = B
80 x 2.1 = B
168 = B

So all the boosts (using my formula) add 168 base power, then add that to the original base power of 80 and you get 248 base power. I made a mistake in my first one, thinking that encourage was a 50% bonus, instead of 30%.

Is there a page with formulas for figuring this out on the site somewhere? I just to make sure your way is correct. 468 base power in addition to strength seems a little ridiculous.
In Pokemon, boosts are always multiplied together, never added. Ask anyone.

465 base power is indeed ridiculous.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is all assuming Feraligatr can even abuse Encourage. You see, Dream World Event pokemon (the starters, eevee, Toxicroak) all have their genders set from the start. Meaning if Feraligatr is male = no egg moves.

(This is because the dream world ability trait is passed down via female pokemon only)

Well, if Feraligatr doesn't end up getting a shot at egg moves, it can still use Swords Dance and...uh, Ice Fang? D| Or we can hope that it gets Dragon Dance or Ice Punch as an exclusive move upon obtaining from the DW.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Agility + Encourage might be interesting to try on Feraligatr. Agility / Waterfall / Rock Slide / Earthquake or Ice Fang. Pity that it can't get Dragon Dance, or it would've been a rather useful Pokemon to have. Ah well, I guess.

Agility + Encourage might be interesting to try on Feraligatr. Agility / Waterfall / Rock Slide / Earthquake or Ice Fang. Pity that it can't get Dragon Dance, or it would've been a rather useful Pokemon to have. Ah well, I guess.
wow your post is so sure that this rumour is true.

As i like to say: "better safe than sorry".

Anyways, if the gender thing gets confirmed, the greatest lost isn't Dragon Dance or Ice Punch: it's Aqua Jet.

Swords Dance on something as slow as Gatr and without priority = sad.
And since DD can't be used... or Gatr uses Swords Dance, or uses Agility, or uses both (yeah...).

This is a great idea. Agility is a epic on Encourage Feraligatr, especially on a rain team. Base 310 Waterfall is nothing to scoff at coming from Feraligatr's 339 Attack. You'll outspeed a lot more threats with Agility anyway. In the rain, it's like a faster, harder hitting Agiligross with a little less bulk and inferior (though still great) typing.

Anyways, if the gender thing gets confirmed, the greatest lost isn't Dragon Dance or Ice Punch: it's Aqua Jet.
Aqua Jet isn't that great with Encourage, what with taking LO Recoil.

Gatr'll do well even if there are no female DW starters.

This is a great idea. Agility is a epic on Encourage Feraligatr, especially on a rain team. Base 310 Waterfall is nothing to scoff at coming from Feraligatr's 339 Attack. You'll outspeed a lot more threats with Agility anyway. In the rain, it's like a faster, harder hitting Agiligross with a little less bulk and inferior (though still great) typing.

Aqua Jet isn't that great with Encourage, what with taking LO Recoil.

Gatr'll do well even if there are no female DW starters.
I agree. Dragon Dance would be great, but Agility is just about as good, in my opinion. I actually run an AgilityGatr on my HeartGold team in-game, and she performs pretty damn well even without the perks of DD's attack boost or Aqua Jet's priority. With Encourage boosting all three of its Attacking moves... look out. S'all I have to say.

breh

強いだね
Although I can't really fathom a use for it, Ice Beam has potential when used with encourage to break down... well Tangrowth really lol

Otherwise, Encourage is a huge boon for Feraligatr. It can choose to run EQ/Ice Punch (or Rock Slide)/Waterfall for good coverage.

Maybe even a gimmicky Waterfall / (Return or Headbutt) / Agility / SD?

Actually, Ice Beam's not a terrible, terrible idea. Un-EV'd Naughty Feraligatr will score a solid 2HKO on the Specially Defensive version of Tangrowth and KO the dragons (Yachechomp cries, actually, at how awesome Ice Beam is with Feraligatr's boosts). Nattorei still cockblocks though, but Ice Fang was doing practically the same damage anyway and has slightly less accuracy. :/ Might be preferable on the Agility set.

Hm...I was wondering how much speed an Agility set really needed. At 252 and Jolly/Naive, it's outspeeding everything up to Adamant Doryuuzu with Sand Throw, and...it loses quite a bit of power but it should still be enough to punch in a few holes and clean up at the end of the game. At 252 and Adamant/Naughty, it outspeeds everything up to Deoxys S, so it has enough power to really kick around stuff and is still fast as hell.

But if I decided I only wanted to outspeed Scarf Hihidaruma by a point, I could just use 100 Speed EVs and invest the rest in SAtk--it has a shot at a 2HKO on Physical Skarm with Ice Beam (definite 2HKO with Stealth Rock)--or HP.

Someone posted below me about a solid 2HKO on Celebi. That's it, this thing is pretty impressive. It's battering tons of things in one to two hits with no DD attack boost, which is kind of cool. Physically Bulky Waters check it, but they really can't do anything back 'cept maybe Boiling Water, and lol Burunkeru please don't switch him in, he might absorb Waterfall but Crunch will hurt. Nattorei, on the other hand, can take a hit and actually do something back, and Porygon2 also does a hell of a job with buffering his defenses with a Prevo Stone, tracing Encourage and boosting Thunderbolt.

Although I can't really fathom a use for it, Ice Beam has potential when used with encourage to break down... well Tangrowth really lol

Otherwise, Encourage is a huge boon for Feraligatr. It can choose to run EQ/Ice Punch (or Rock Slide)/Waterfall for good coverage.

Maybe even a gimmicky Waterfall / (Return or Headbutt) / Agility / SD?
You gotta keep track of the discussion in the thread, bro. :0 This whole page has basically been about Encourage's kick-assedness, but more importantly, better coverage moves have been listed throughout the thread. Waterfall/Ice Punch is good, but Crunch is probably superior to EQ due to higher BP after Encourage and ability to hit annoying-ass Burungeru SE.

...speaking of whom... Return or Headbutt is no good. :0 Water/Normal is no longer that desired coverage because of Burungeru, who is completely immune to both. The Agility-SD set might be good if you used Crunch over the Normal move, but a DD set that just uses DD twice is pretty much superior, since you get that one extra slot for Ice Punch / Ice Beam (which I agree, is a pretty cool idea for like the Agility set).

It's illegal in 4th gen, not sure abou 5th gen
It's still legal. Dragonite gets Aqua Jet as an Egg move and Dragon Dance as a level up move. All you have to do is breed a male Floatzel with Aqua Jet with a female Dragonite, level up the male Dratini until it gets Dragon Dance, and breed it with a female Feraligatr to get a Tododile with Dragon Dance and Aqua Jet.

Naughty 4 SpA Ice Beam is doing (47.52% - 55.94%) to 252/0 Bold Celebi, which is a Solid 2HKO with Stealth Rock and Leftovers, and does upwards of 60% to YacheChomp. Not bad at all.

Unless the movesets of the Kanto and Hoenn starters have been revealed and I missed it, there's no guarantee that Feraligatr won't have Dragon Dance even if the starters do always turn out to be male. Regular Dream World Pokemon frequently have one of their moveslots filled with an egg move, fourth-gen tutor move, or fourth-gen TM move as a special thing--just check the thread. Just saying that I wouldn't pin my hopes on having Dragon Dance, but it's not out of the question.

^Yeah, we're still hoping for at least that, if GF frowns upon poor Feraligatr and gives us male-only Pokemon.

...I'm still kind of fangirling over Agiligator though. +2 speed and still at least 2HKOing most everything in your way is fantastic...*tugs at collar*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)