Final Grades/GPA thread/School/University Discussion

Applied to:

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Dartmouth, Columbia, Penn, Duke, Hopkins, UVA, Drexel, Muhlenberg, and maybe Maryland.

My stats are there and I thought my personal statement was good, but it's a crapshoot everywhere nonetheless.

I'm applying to Queen's, McGill, UofT, and McMaster (Canadian). I don't care which one I get in to really, so the stress is pretty low apart from maintaining my average (which is pretty good anyway).

I just finished a mixture of Grade 10 and 11 subjects in an Australian highschool. I've been accelerated 3-4 years over my age, not even 14 yet(believe it or don't). Here are my final mark averages:

English Yr 11: B+ (f*ck my teacher, she can't teach, everybody hates her and English has always been my best subject)
Art: A+ (this teacher was also a f*ck who hated me, but somehow I managed an A+ anyway)
Biology Yr 11: A+
Food Tech: A+ with over 100% average
Flute: A
Mathematics: A+ (I hate MAths but this year I got an awesome teacher and somehow ended up as the second best in the year!)

Pretty happy, considering my English and Art teachers. I also did private German but no marks for that...Yr 11/12 coming up and IDK how I've managed to nearly finish our preparatory homework...is it worse when you start???

Just finished another semester of college. Gotta start studying for the GRE soon and then apply to graduate schools =/. Currently going for a physics and a mathematics degree.

Advanced Mathematics: A
Linear Algebra: A
Heritage of Music: A
Circuits 1: A

Only four classes this semester, but I had other reasons I couldn't take more classes and it doesn't delay my graduation time at least.

Got the letter today. Good news everyone :)

The only problem remaining is meeting the offer conditions. It won't be easy (A* in Further Maths, AAA in Maths/Physics/Computer Science, as well as 1/1 in STEP II/III), but I'm going to give it my best shot. Does anyone have any experience with STEP, by the way?

vashta

"It was pretty cool to watch Tim Duncan from afar"
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
congratulations, wichu :)

those seem like pretty demanding requirements, though; i've rarely heard of anyone needing the A* in further maths as opposed to maths primarily, but i haven't read much regarding conditions to CS students.

Princeton (crapshoot but better than not applying...)
Stanford ^ditto
UPenn ^ditto
Tufts
UMichigan
BU
Colgate
Carnegie Mellon
UChicago

I addition to 4 UCs: Berkeley, LA, SD, Santa Cruz. I will be applying to UWisconsin soon.
Dark Talon said:
Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Dartmouth, Columbia, Penn, Duke, Hopkins, UVA, Drexel, Muhlenberg, and maybe Maryland.
supermarth64 said:
UPenn, Columbia, Cornell are all reaches.
JHU is a semi-reach.
CMU, Tufts, and NYU are matches.

Already got into Rutgers and University of Illinois. I don't mind going to UIllinois, they have a good Elec/Comp Engineering program anyway.
holy crap, aren't there application fees for applying to schools? That's hundreds of dollars thrown out to schools that you won't attend.

Got the letter today. Good news everyone :)

The only problem remaining is meeting the offer conditions. It won't be easy (A* in Further Maths, AAA in Maths/Physics/Computer Science, as well as 1/1 in STEP II/III), but I'm going to give it my best shot. Does anyone have any experience with STEP, by the way?
Congrats. I assume you're a to be mathmo or comp sci? I know a mathmo who had that offer last year. Good luck with the STEP but don't stress out completely since I don't think most people accepted actually even meet the STEP requirements.

holy crap, aren't there application fees for applying to schools? That's hundreds of dollars thrown out to schools that you won't attend.
Wow, that's news to me. You guys actually have to pay to get a letter read for an application? What a rort.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wow, that's news to me. You guys actually have to pay to get a letter read for an application? What a rort.
Yep. Some are free, others range from 20-80 dollars. Universities make a killing off the fragile hopes of senior kids hoping for a small breakthrough that inevitably don't get through :D

Edit: In the defense of universities however, I have to admit, universities such as Harvard, and other well known universities have to go through thousands and thousands of letters and go through a strenuous process. It's definitely gonna cost a good deal of money

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yep. Even in Canada. Here it's not even a friggin' letter. You just submit your transcript really. I didn't even bother applying for anything but the school I wanted to get into and knew I would. I think it was $50 or $100?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
For all UW schools it's $44 an application, and I applied to two. I know people who applied to 5, and it's like, why?????

Yep. Even in Canada. Here it's not even a friggin' letter. You just submit your transcript really. I didn't even bother applying for anything but the school I wanted to get into and knew I would. I think it was $50 or $100?
OUAC forces me to apply to 3 schools so it's $120 or nothing, unfortunately.

I'm applying to 9 schools but fortunately I'm eligible for fee waivers got to apply to all of them for free, or else that would've been a small fortune for 8 schools I'm not going to.

Yeah, there are fees and it was pretty expensive, but my parents and I both agreed that the more I apply to, the better since I'm applying to such selective colleges. It's better to apply to 10 schools and get into 2 of them than apply to only 4 and get into 0, even if it means spending an extra 500 dollars.

We have an application fee of about $90, but that's not paid to the institution but to the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). They administer all of the end-of-high-school results and award you an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR, formerly UAI); you submit a list of up to 9 preferred courses and whatever institutions to UAC, they then start at the top ranked students (99.95 ATAR) and give them an offer from their 1st choice, then the next-ranked students, and so forth. If the relevant course is already full, then you get your second choice, or your third if the second is full, etc.

So while you have the fee, it covers up to 9 applications to any of the institutions, and the awarding of your HSC grade at the end of school as well.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, I finally got my grades back for my first semester of year 1 at University of Ottawa (math major)!

Calculus I - B
Intro to General Chemistry - B
Technical Report Writing - A-
Intro to Linear Algebra - A

Even though I'd like a higher mark in Calc I, I'm actually pretty happy with those grades considering it's my first year. I absolutely hated my chemistry and technical report writing class, not because of the professors, but because the courses were terrible. I seriously didn't learn anything in either of those classes. I did bad in Chem because I seriously just couldn't be arsed to do the homework.

I'm not really sure what happened with Calc I though. I got 100% on the first midterm, but then I got a couple of bad marks on an assignment and somehow got 50% on the next midterm. I'm not sure what I got on the exam, but I went in with a 75, and B is 70-74.4 I think, so I at least know I didn't do too bad on the exam. I think it might be because I always waited too long to do the homework instead of doing it when it was assigned, so I'd unfortunately have to do 5 sections at once sometimes because of my procrastination. That grade has nothing to do with the professor, because he's awesome, and I have him for Calc II this semester. I'm hoping to do much better in that.

The A in Linear Algebra is something that I'm very proud of though. I started off with a near-failing mark in that class, because the first few assignments were absolute hell. This is easily the most difficult math course I've ever taken because it was the first one to introduce insane amounts of critical thinking, as well as problems that could take up an entire page. Subspaces and Span were two things that really fucked with me at first. But I started going to my professor a lot for help, since he was willing to help me out, and I started improving a lot, and I started getting perfect on my assignments and got an 85 on the exam. I guess people can improve as long as they're willing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)