Flash Clash [Online Competition] - Now Playable on Showdown!

I know this link but the usages for Flash Clash are not present. For Kanto Classic they were update every 3 or 4 days iirc

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was wondering if we can have access to the usage stats of the format ? Is it possible ?
It's possible you'll find the usage stats Here fairly soon once last month's stats get uploaded.
I know this link but the usages for Flash Clash are not present. For Kanto Classic they were update every 3 or 4 days iirc
I had to ask Antar to add the Kanto Classic ladder. It didn't update though, he just collected stats once and that was it (afaik). I was planning to ask again for this competition but not for a couple weeks at least so that we can let the meta develop a bit befor collecting the stats. If we did it now they'd look weird with all the random stuff people are using early-on.

Golem also completely stops perish song azu and lapras. Initially, I didn't want to reveal this strategy because I wanted to keep it for myself but I realized that it was really selfish of me lol. Basically, the idea is to use curse on the turn they set up perish trap. Now you guys must be thinking, golem is already slower than azu and lapras so why go for curse instead of just making it 0 speed iv and speed reducing nature? The reason is that golem also needs to outspeed the relevant sturdy mons such as aggron and bastiodon. That's why give it 52 Speed Evs to outspeed the aforementioned threat. This gets it to 72 speed at level 50. After a curse it becomes 48 which is 1 speed point less that min speed azu. Hope this helps you guys beat those annoying perish strats.

Golem also completely stops perish song azu and lapras. Initially, I didn't want to reveal this strategy because I wanted to keep it for myself but I realized that it was really selfish of me lol. Basically, the idea is to use curse on the turn they set up perish trap. Now you guys must be thinking, golem is already slower than azu and lapras so why go for curse instead of just making it 0 speed iv and speed reducing nature? The reason is that golem also needs to outspeed the relevant sturdy mons such as aggron and bastiodon. That's why give it 52 Speed Evs to outspeed the aforementioned threat. This gets it to 72 speed at level 50. After a curse it becomes 48 which is 1 speed point less that min speed azu. Hope this helps you guys beat those annoying perish strats.
This is pretty cool. The Curses also help you muscle through Whimsicott with Rock Blast. They carry Taunt but don't tend to use it straight away with all the Leech Seeding, Protecting and Substituting they need to do. Tried it: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/flashclash-353818285

Encountered this earlier, and it's quite threatening. However, I'm having a hell of a time deciding between Rhyperior and Golem. Golem can muscle through some threats with Sturdy, though ultimately I don't find their coverage super-different. Rhyperior OHKOs Whimsicott, doesn't have much to fear from Azumarill, beats Aggron and Bastiodon easily, and -- this is important -- has Horn Drill to beat Chansey or other bulky stallers that can't quickly KO it.

But it's not a clear choice. One of the last decisions I'm grappling with.

Encountered this earlier, and it's quite threatening. However, I'm having a hell of a time deciding between Rhyperior and Golem. Golem can muscle through some threats with Sturdy, though ultimately I don't find their coverage super-different. Rhyperior OHKOs Whimsicott, doesn't have much to fear from Azumarill, beats Aggron and Bastiodon easily, and -- this is important -- has Horn Drill to beat Chansey or other bulky stallers that can't quickly KO it.

But it's not a clear choice. One of the last decisions I'm grappling with.
I was with the same problem, so I resolved it easily on item clause. Golem often helds weakness policy, and rhyperior choice band or other move boost item. Since I already have a pokemon with weakness policy I decided to choice rhyperior :)

Definitely using choice scarf darmanitan and choice band dragonite because of how fun they are. Still testing like 15 other mons for the remaining slots.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Definitely using choice scarf darmanitan and choice band dragonite because of how fun they are. Still testing like 15 other mons for the remaining slots.
Jesus, how did I forget about that guy? I've already got an Imperfect Darmanitan4 on hand...might have to go back on my already-finalized team...*scratches head*

I've had a bit of fun with Frisk Choice Band Trick/Disable/2 Attacks Dusknoir last night. It's a tad gimmicky, but usually wins when I decide to choose it (small sample size though, it's only like 5-1). I replaced Shedinja with it, which I literally never picked. It can catch both offensive and defensive Pokemon off guard. If the opponent attacks straight away then it has a much higher chance of losing though (at least that's where the loss came from).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/flashclash-353857777
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/flashclash-353856723
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/flashclash-353837164
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/flashclash-353835832

On a more general note, I was finding myself a bit weak to Ferrothorn so I replaced my Whimsicott with a standard-ish Blaziken. I found myself never picking Whimsicott, always seemed to be a mon or three on the opposing team that hard countered it which scared me away. I put EQ on my Blaziken which helped my nab a victory against a Perish Song/Dig Marowak. Also beats Hyper Beam spammers with Protect obviously. Not the greatest coverage, but I aint about missing them Stone Edges. As long as I have something to hit Chandelure and friends.

I'd say my Perish Trapping Azu is the least selected member on my team, even less than Dusknoir. But I don't feel a pressing need for anything else atm, so I'll keep it for possible team preview diversion. Incidentally, I've seen some offensive Azu's on the ladder. Is anyone using this specifically to surprise people expecting a Perish trapper, or is it just because it's a solid Pokemon of it's own accord? As for other general meta notes, I haven't seen a Machamp in ages. Had one myself at the start, replaced it with something I can't remember. May have even been the seldom used Azu.

Anyways I'm enjoying this meta on the whole, the no Focus Sash/Mega stones definitely make things more interesting imo. Only played for a couple hours last night, but given the 1 v 1 nature of it I was able to get quite a lot of matches. I played quite a bit of CC 1 v 1 in the past (spamming the ladder with my themed alts), so having the same pick 1 from 6 format but with mons you choose is fun for me.

Why has no one tried Minimize Clefable?
I assume it's because there are a lot of hard counters to here as opposed to the Kanto Classic where it was virtually unstoppable if your taunt user fainted or it got baton passed a few quiver dances.

Here it can be OHKO'ed by a powerful choice'd Steel or Poison type attack before it even gets a chance to set up.

I'm personally glad to have mons like Excadrill and Bisharp back as they both blast through the thing.

Last edited:
Why has no one tried Minimize Clefable?
Because you cannot bring it in on something of your choice to set up a free Minimize. A lot of things can 2HKO it in this meta.

Any thoughts about coverage moves on Band Dragonite (or other variants, for that matter)? Outrage and Espeed are a given imo. It has waay to many alternatives, all of which helps against specific threats:

- Iron Head (Fairys, specifically sylveon, and good flinch chance against Crustle, Avalugg etc)
- Thunder Punch (Only move to 2HKO Azumarill)
- Fire Punch (Ferrothorn, Shedinja, Klefki)
- Ice Punch (Gliscor)
- Earthquake (Aegislash, good general coverage)
- Superpower (Better than EQ against balloon and ferro, chansey)

I can see this set becoming great:

Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover/Roost/Hidden Power Fire

Soul dew isn't banned like it is in real tournaments, which could allow you to use CM latios all you want.

I can see this set becoming great:

Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover/Roost/Hidden Power Fire

Soul dew isn't banned like it is in real tournaments, which could allow you to use CM latios all you want.
Soul dew is actually banned for this competition. The regulations page was updated since it was first released.

Is Magnezone viable in this metagame ? It has acces to sturdy and to the stell type which is really good here. But it has a terrible movepool and I don't know how to play it.
Btw, any other way to deal with fairy types + suicune with only 1 pokemon ?

Because you cannot bring it in on something of your choice to set up a free Minimize. A lot of things can 2HKO it in this meta.

Any thoughts about coverage moves on Band Dragonite (or other variants, for that matter)? Outrage and Espeed are a given imo. It has waay to many alternatives, all of which helps against specific threats:

- Iron Head (Fairys, specifically sylveon, and good flinch chance against Crustle, Avalugg etc)
- Thunder Punch (Only move to 2HKO Azumarill)
- Fire Punch (Ferrothorn, Shedinja, Klefki)
- Ice Punch (Gliscor)
- Earthquake (Aegislash, good general coverage)
- Superpower (Better than EQ against balloon and ferro, chansey)
I ran Outrage/Iron Head/Fire Punch/EQ on mine. I guess it just comes down to what your team needs, for me Fire Punch was a must. Could probably swap out EQ for ESpeed, but I haven't really come across a situation where it would be useful. I would use it on non-band sets to finish off Pokemon of course (man I wish Golem had Sucker Punch). How much do you tend to use it in practice?

Is Magnezone viable in this metagame ? It has acces to sturdy and to the stell type which is really good here. But it has a terrible movepool and I don't know how to play it.
Mag isn't the greatest, but I've seen it around. I added it to one of my teams to scare away an annoying Togekiss that could beat the rest of my members pending luck.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mixed Greninja with Gunk Shot and Grass Knot? Could also try Venusaur but Calm Mind Cune is gonna give you trouble...

Hope this helps you guys beat those annoying perish strats.
Lately, I've been running low speed Bastiodon for myself to deal with Perish Azu, but boy howdy, I'd love to have a more offensively oriented Sturdy mon, and I already have a BR Golem from Kanto Classic, so raising one ingame would take less of my time then Bastiodon. I'm glad you mentioned this anirav! Thanks.

Would Ferrothorn be better physically or specially oriented? Defense-wise, I mean. It's very useful, checking Azumarill and able to Leech Seed-Protect many others. I know this isn't a great explanation, but try it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)