Metagame Full Potential

Hey everyone, i'm new to this metagame and just started playing for the first time recently. I've noticed that this game is very HO. There is always a sweeper waiting to get it's chance. Anyways, looking at some sample sets and playing around a little bit, I thought I'd share a cool idea. Sorry if it's already been posted, dont feel like going through all these posts to look for it.

Mew @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rock Polish
- Psychic
- Drain Punch
- Baton Pass

Anyways it's the standard mew set, but the twist is that it has baton pass. Mew has good natural bulk, and is almost always able to get off atleast one rockpolish, maybe 2. Anyways the point is, sometimes mew doesnt have that good of coverage or power to be able to sweep the opposing team. So you get off a rockpolish, kill the opposing mon with genesis supernova. That sets up psychic terrain, and you are now free to batonpass to another mon on ur team that is dedicated to sweeping. The opposing team wont be able to use priority on ur now super fast mon. Sash mons work great, or other mons with choice scarf that can take a hit. I've used it to pass to scarf greninja, and with greninja's amazing coverage, was able to sweep teams with moves like rock slide , low kick , dark pulse. Alternatively, you could also pass to sash mons. And not having rocks on ur side is relatively easy, since all you need is a dedicated lead with taunt. This theory also applies to other agility + baton pass mons, however, the added benefit with mew is that you set up psychic terrain.

Edit: replay of it working, although not the best battle, but shows it in practice
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7fullpotential-550315191

Last edited:

Tuthur

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don't see tyranitar in the viability ranking ? As i played in first week of march, it could see one in each team so i don't understand why it doesn't stand in the viablity ranking.

The problem with Baton Pass Mew is that it's really weak against steels and gives Scizor, Meta and Doublade free setups. Agilitypass doesn't really work this well in this meta anyways. Because if you pass speed to something like AV Sylveon then that's nice and all but not really worth using a teamslot just for that. Also if you give speed to something that's slow but would have speed as it's highest stat then that's kind of a waste because you're not really getting much from that. And if you pass to something that's already fast then you'll have problems getting it in safely, because of how most fast mons are frail. The biggest problem with Agilitypass is that you're just better off using the agilitypassers as sweepers without Baton Pass (Mew and Gliscor).

TTar is actually in the ranking, it's A+

Nominating Latias for A-

I assumed that this would be ranked because nv made a post about this, which is why I didn't nominate it in my earlier post. Latias is a really good utility mon in this meta, thanks to Item Clause. I find myself having Latias on every second team because it just fits on so many teams. It's great on both balanced and ho thanks to it having great support moves like Healing Wish, Defog or even screens. Latias' offensive movepool is also great, soul dew boosted Draco does a respectable amount of damage and psyshock is a great stab to have with all the AV users in this tier. EQ and HP Fire are great coverage moves to have and deal with Latias' main counters, TTar and steels like Scizor and Metagross. It also has a great defensive typing, letting it switch in on water, fighting, fire and ground moves. That together with having Recover makes Latias a great pivot for most teams. The biggest problem that Latias has rn is the popularity of TTar, so I would be fine with B+ too.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Ok so time for a VR update since it is needed...

Rises:
Sylveon: B+ -> A
Regice: A- -> A
Doublade: A- -> A
Zygarde: B -> B+

Drops:
Accelgor: A+ -> B+
Aerodactyl: A -> A-
Mega Sableye: A -> A-
Araquanid: A -> A-
Umbreon: A- -> B
Electrode: B+ -> B
Blissey: B -> C+
Diglett: B- -> C
Lycanroc: B- -> C+

Added:
Latias: UR -> A-
Cyrogonal: UR -> B+
Ash Greninja: UR -> B+
Zygarde-10% UR-> B+
Mew: UR -> B
Tapu Lele: UR -> B
Whimisicott: UR -> B-
Probopass: UR -> C+

I feel most of these are pretty self-explanatory, but if ever you want reasonings for a specific change, feel free to PM any of the council members.

Keep up the good posting :)

Some people posted about Celesteela earlier. I tried using it pre-Alolan Raichu ban and it was tough to use but it's a lot better now. The main set is Autotomize with max speed, and it can get some surprising sweeps thanks to Beast Boost. Notably, it's faster than Scarf Tapu Koko when it's at +3 Speed, meaning some teams just can't revenge kill it outside of priority once it gets a kill. Personally, I used Z-Fly so that I could dunk AV users. The main flaw with Celesteela is that it's pretty weak without a boost, and it faces a ton of competition with way faster Agility users. Mew's Rock Polish set has similar bulk to Celesteela but better speed and immunity to priority when Psychic Terrain is up. Despite it should still be ranked because it has a really good typing and Beast Boost can make up for its bad speed.

Celesteela's defensive sets are probably still somewhat viable too, but I haven't seen anyone using them. Being able to hit off its higher stat while still getting stronger if it gets a kill is pretty neat but it probably fills similar roles as in OU. Just by virtue of typing alone it can check some things like Ferrothorn, Alakazam, Steelix, Sylveon but it's not always a sure thing in this metagame, as things can prey on Celesteela's lower defensive stat.

SaturnZelda

formerly TylerWithNumbers
Some people posted about Celesteela earlier. I tried using it pre-Alolan Raichu ban and it was tough to use but it's a lot better now. The main set is Autotomize with max speed, and it can get some surprising sweeps thanks to Beast Boost. Notably, it's faster than Scarf Tapu Koko when it's at +3 Speed, meaning some teams just can't revenge kill it outside of priority once it gets a kill. Personally, I used Z-Fly so that I could dunk AV users. The main flaw with Celesteela is that it's pretty weak without a boost, and it faces a ton of competition with way faster Agility users. Mew's Rock Polish set has similar bulk to Celesteela but better speed and immunity to priority when Psychic Terrain is up. Despite it should still be ranked because it has a really good typing and Beast Boost can make up for its bad speed.

Celesteela's defensive sets are probably still somewhat viable too, but I haven't seen anyone using them. Being able to hit off its higher stat while still getting stronger if it gets a kill is pretty neat but it probably fills similar roles as in OU. Just by virtue of typing alone it can check some things like Ferrothorn, Alakazam, Steelix, Sylveon but it's not always a sure thing in this metagame, as things can prey on Celesteela's lower defensive stat.
It has a much higher base SpD than Spe, and so Assault Vest also works. Beast Boost would boost Special Defense when it gets a KO.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
It's ANNOUNCEMENT time!!!

So first off, we finally got ourself a wonderful banner created by the amazing HotFuzzBall and here it is...

The second announcement is that, with the month wrapping up, I would love to see some people start to post out their sample teams. I'm going to start an archive in the second post (and hide the ban history stuff) so feel free to start posting teams you guys have had success with (providing replays / peaks would help your cases for sure, but aren't necessary).

Lastly, instead of providing sets, I figured I would go ahead and post out some nominations for you guys to mull over for the VR one last time before the month is over.

Tyranitar: A+ to S

This may be a bit of a controversial nomination, but I really feel like Tyranitar is arguably S rank material. While it does have the most weaknesses in Pokemon history (a whopping 7), that is arguably where it's faults end. Tyranitar, with an Assault Vest, can give itself effectively +2 (with Sand Stream) on all of it's attacks. On top of that, it has a plethora of coverage and STAB moves at its disposal so much so that it can customize itself to pick and choose what it can beat. It can run Dark Pulse to beat out Doublade, Fire Blast / Earthquake to nail Steel-types, Thunderbolt to nail Toxapex, all the while being able to tank special hits as well as being immune to Psyshock, forcing a Pokemon to run an actual physical coverage move for it. Furthermore, it can even serve an utility role by using STAB Rock Tomb to weaken Speed abusers such as Tapu Koko.

Aerodactyl: A- to B+

Aerodactyl was initially ranked at A- as it was found to be a very decent suicide lead that could reliably set up SR while abusing its base 130 Speed. With the more recent bans, Aerodactyl's effectiveness has shifted a bit, leaving its role as a fast SR setter still unparalleled at the cost of having more competition for the SR spot on a team as a lot of common Pokemon such as Chansey, Diancie, and Steelix have gained a bit more popularity with the hampering of "Speed Abuse". For this reason, Aerodactyl still deserves to be recognize as a fast SR mon (since most of them tend to be bulky and slow), but its effectiveness as that has been somewhat compromised due to the popularity of the slow, bulky SR setters.

Porygon2: A- to B

Honestly, I don't know why this thing is in the same rank as other Eviolite "heavyweights" such as Chansey and Dusclops due to its lack of "impossibly high" bulk and the lack of a truly solid ability. While it does serve a nice utility role, it is outclassed by Chansey as an Eviolite Normal-type and it lacks the power to actually abuse the +1 boost due to its less than 100 defenses. Furthermore, it leaves much to be desired due to suffering from 4MSS. It does have better all around bulk than Chansey, but then it encroaches on Dusclops' niche as an all-around bulky Eviolite user, which has priority and a better "spammable" STAB typing to circumvent its weaknesses (i.e. low speed, weak to Knock Off, etc.) while P2 has to tank a hit most of the time before it can dish one out.

charizard8888

Catch The Wave
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The banner looks great!

Tyranitar A+ ---> S
Agree

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stone Edge
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Earthquake / Rock Tomb

Although it has 7 weaknesses and is quite slow but its a huge threat in Full Potential. Thanks to Sand Stream, Rock Typing, and Assault Vest it reaches 738 SpD on switch in and with high base power coverage moves, it is capable of KOing a lot of Pokemon while tanking special hits at the same time, unprepared teams would face a hard time against this with all of this, Tyranitar is a force to reckon in Full Potential and deserves S Rank.

Some more nominations

Talonflame: B- ---> B+/A-
Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Agility
- Brave Bird
- Heat Wave / Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing

This is another Talonflame set. Its awesome Speed lets it hit really hard and Agility further boosts its speed making it the fastest Pokemon (772 Speed) but in a fast paced tier like this, its not easy to set up and it also suffers 4x Rock weakness but if it does setup, its hard to stop. The best time to setup is early game or after your Pokemon faint then switch into Pokemon like Scizor which can't do much to Talonflame. Sending Talonflame as the lead in every battle is another option as it might get a chance to set up if the opponent sends a Pokemon which can't do much against it. Leftovers for longevity and Steel Wing hits Tyranitar, Onix and Diancie and gives it coverage against Rock. It appreciates Stealth Rock on the foe's side of the field for converting some 2HKOs into OHKOs. It has several flaws (Rock Weakness, incapability of setting up in every battle, weak to Priority attacks) but with the power and high speed it should move to either B+ or A-
On low ladder but there's not much you can do about it after it sets up.
Replay
+2 252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: (48 - 56.4%) 87.5% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Talonflame Steel Wing vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: (75.2 - 88.6%) guaranteed 2HKO
So Tyranitar can't switch into this after Agility
+2 252+ SpA Talonflame Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: (150.8 - 177.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Talonflame Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Steelix-Mega: (154.2 - 181.9%) guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Dusclops: (65.4 - 77.1%) guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Toxapex: (81.2 - 96%) guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Sableye-Mega: (118.2 - 139.4%) guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: (79.4 - 93.4%) guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 200-236 (51.8 - 61.1%) guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Steelix: Unrakned ---> A+
Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Filler

Mega Steelix just got released an looks pretty scary. With max investment, it reaches 614 Defense which walls a lot of top tier threats and also has a great typing which lets it wall Tapu Koko completely. 0 IVs Relaxed Nature enables Gyro Ball to hit as hard as possible, Stone Edge with Earthquake provides EdgeQuake coverage. It can go for Ancient Power in place of Stone Edge to avoid misses and that'll give it AncientQuake coverage. The last slot can be filled by any special move or Stealth Rock. It also gets Curse which makes it even more bulky and makes Gyro Ball more powerful against slow Pokemon. With all this power, bulky and resistances Mega Steelix is really solid in the meta, so A+ is where I think it should land.

Some sets which some include not so popular Pokemon. Would not nominate them for any rank right now (would do that in another slate later) Here they are

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Filler (Fling?)

Knock Off is a pretty useful move in Full Potential. Krookodile can Knock Off the opponent's Scarf, Assault Vest, Eviolite and other items making them weak. The opponent would fear switching any Pokemon against this. Moxie is chosen over Intimidate as all the Pokemon won't be using their Attack and must this KO a Pokemon, its next move would become more powerful. This set does not deal a lot of damage like others but it heavily dents the opponent leaving their Pokemon devoid of their key items.

Zoroark @ Focus Sash
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Agility / U-Turn
- Flamethrower / Sludge Bomb
- Low Kick / Low Sweep

This can play a pretty similar role but at the same time it can disguise itself and even setup to sweep. However, its a bit frail as compared to Krookodile. The best time to send this is mid-game. It also leaves the opponent guessing thanks to Illusion. Low Kick hits Tyranitar and Regice. Sludge Bomb can be used to defeat Fairy types like Tapu Koko, Flamethrower for defeating Pokemon like Scizor, Mega Steelix, and Ferrothorn and Knock Off removes their items. With Illusion its easy for Zoroark to defeat the common threats.

I can't write much rn because I'm not on pc, but M-Steelix should be C+. Its only niche is being a better koko check, but other than that it's outclassed by regular steelix. M-Steelix needs hp invesment to check koko, which means that it can't run max speed like regular Steelix. Also M-Steelix isn't even that good at checking koko, because it needs to mega evolve to be able to check it. And that's not easy because you need health to check koko, which means that m-steelix needs to pretend that it's regular steelix to scare something out, which is really dumb when you think about it.

Instead of making TTar S Rank I think the better option would be to drop koko to A+. Koko is a great mon and only has a few counters, however most teams prepare or even overprepare for koko, making it less dominant than it was early in the metagame. And I think the same applies to TTar. There are more and more mons that use Fighting/Ground moves to prevent TTar from safely countering them (Latias/Dusclops) and there are also sets like Waterium Z Furfrou, invented by yours truly, that are made to ohko ttar.

This has been bothering me for a while and I haven't really had the chance to talk about it earlier, but ffs can you use the D Rank as an actual rank? Not having an actual D rank really hurts the lower ranks as you can see with both B and C rank. There's no point in having a rank that tells newer players "don't use these mons" unless it's something like RU Ambipom, which E Rank was used for. Full Potential doesn't have anything to do with usage stats tho, so having a "don't use rank" is pointless. Everything in C rank should drop down a rank and things like Serperior, Florges, and Galvantula should drop down to C+.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Hey nv as promised :pimp:

Here are two sample teams that had helped me get to #4 on ladder (srry no screenshot but no lies), and I would like to share them since the OMoTM period has ended.

Toxic Spikes Toxapex Bulky Offense

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Toxic Spikes
- Iron Defense
- Surf

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Bold Nature
- Venoshock
- Liquidation
- Stockpile
- Recover

Kecleon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Flamethrower
- Fake Out
- Ice Beam

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 204 SpD / 52 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 48 HP / 208 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Ball
- Soft-Boiled
- Hyper Voice

Diglett @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Arena Trap
Timid Nature
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Probably the team I had the most fun building and using throughout the month. Initially, I really wanted to try out Merciless Toxapex due to 100% chance crits from boosted Venushock off of 152 Base stat offense sounded very appealing and oh boy it didn't disappoint. From there, I decided to pair it with Toxic Spikes support from Cloyster due to it also receiving a huge buff in this meta, due to it hitting off a 180 stat. Assault Vest Keckleon is here as a special attacker sponge and can also decimate slower teams thanks to its coverage + Protean. Mega Scizor is the main Mega Metagross check if they are not running HP Fire (which later on in the month they had started to do) and also is the main form of hazard removal. Chansey is another bulky pivot which helped check Tapu Koko and Dusclops. Diglett was added to trap and KO threats such as Tyranitar, Mega Alakazam, Ferrothorn, and the rare non-Scarf Tapu Koko. Really fun team.

Trick Room Mega Slowbro Offense

Diancie @ Focus Sash
Ability: Clear Body
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Explosion
- Diamond Storm

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Trick Room

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Slack Off

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room

Araquanid @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Ice Beam
- Poison Jab

Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Relaxed Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Dark Pulse

Tbh, Trick Room was pretty dumb in FP. With the multitude of powerful attacker such as Dusclops, Mega Slowbro and Steelix that basically have no safe switchins, setting up a TR could turn the game in one turn most of the time. The only issue I had most of the time when using this team was the limited amount of turns TR had and the turn wasted to set it up usually meant one of my setters dying due to Electro Ball Choice Scarf Tapu Koko and Electrode always netting a KO. Besides this issue, the team is very solid and defintely one that can peak the ladder (rip not here anymore).

Anyways thats it from me, I encourage others to send in there teams they had the most success with to add to the collection. FP was super fun to play throughout the month of March, although some balance issues could have been addressed (mainly Eviolite), was still relatively enjoyable.

Cheerios ;)

SaturnZelda

Hey nv as promised :pimp:

Here are two sample teams that had helped me get to #4 on ladder (srry no screenshot but no lies), and I would like to share them since the OMoTM period has ended.

Toxic Spikes Toxapex Bulky Offense

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Toxic Spikes
- Iron Defense
- Surf

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Bold Nature
- Venoshock
- Liquidation
- Stockpile
- Recover

Kecleon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Flamethrower
- Fake Out
- Ice Beam

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 204 SpD / 52 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 48 HP / 208 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Ball
- Soft-Boiled
- Hyper Voice

Diglett @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Arena Trap
Timid Nature
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Probably the team I had the most fun building and using throughout the month. Initially, I really wanted to try out Merciless Toxapex due to 100% chance crits from boosted Venushock off of 152 Base stat offense sounded very appealing and oh boy it didn't disappoint. From there, I decided to pair it with Toxic Spikes support from Cloyster due to it also receiving a huge buff in this meta, due to it hitting off a 180 stat. Assault Vest Keckleon is here as a special attacker sponge and can also decimate slower teams thanks to its coverage + Protean. Mega Scizor is the main Mega Metagross check if they are not running HP Fire (which later on in the month they had started to do) and also is the main form of hazard removal. Chansey is another bulky pivot which helped check Tapu Koko and Dusclops. Diglett was added to trap and KO threats such as Tyranitar, Mega Alakazam, Ferrothorn, and the rare non-Scarf Tapu Koko. Really fun team.

Trick Room Mega Slowbro Offense

Diancie @ Focus Sash
Ability: Clear Body
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Explosion
- Diamond Storm

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Trick Room

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Slack Off

Magearna @ Fairium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room

Araquanid @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Ice Beam
- Poison Jab

Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Relaxed Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Dark Pulse

Tbh, Trick Room was pretty dumb in FP. With the multitude of powerful attacker such as Dusclops, Mega Slowbro and Steelix that basically have no safe switchins, setting up a TR could turn the game in one turn most of the time. The only issue I had most of the time when using this team was the limited amount of turns TR had and the turn wasted to set it up usually meant one of my setters dying due to Electro Ball Choice Scarf Tapu Koko and Electrode always netting a KO. Besides this issue, the team is very solid and defintely one that can peak the ladder (rip not here anymore).

Anyways thats it from me, I encourage others to send in there teams they had the most success with to add to the collection. FP was super fun to play throughout the month of March, although some balance issues could have been addressed (mainly Eviolite), was still relatively enjoyable.

Cheerios ;)
A few things I'd like to mention. It's really funny how when Dugtrio was banned, Diglett was turned to as an alternate solution to do what it used to do, even though it's an LC Pokémon. Also, Trick Room was insanely stupid and broken. Lots of the time, it wasn't even that hard to set TR, which meant that someone running a fast team would have to stall out TR by priority spam until it got off the field, which doesn't work when Dusclops is on the field, as it's a Ghost type. (I would suggest taking a look at banning this, even though the month is over and the ladder is no longer here.)

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey guys, long time no see! (In terms of this OM anyways lol)

I figured it was high time I bumped this back into relevancy as it is only a matter of time before this is eligible for OMotM again (in October to be exact) and I wanted to start off this bump with a couple of things.

The "New" Megas
Since this died back in April, tons of the Mega stones were released and as such has released some potentially interesting threats into the Full Potential metagame. I want to go through the ones I feel are worth taking a look at and going over what they could possibly achieve in such a "defensively offensive" OM.

Mega Aggron
With this beast of a Mega boasting 230 Defense, Mega Aggron is bound to become a behemoth in Full Potential. Not only does it have a pure Steel typing, it also has Filter to back up its defenses while on the offensive side of things he has Iron Defense as well as a powerful Heavy Slam. While Steel isn't the best offensive typing, and with the multitude of mixed attackers being able to now take advantage of his uninvested Special Defense, Mega Aggron is still something to look out for and is arguably better than say Mega Steelix, who much appreciates staying un-Mega'd to take advantage of Sheer Force.

Mega Altaria
Omg, this is the monster we have been waiting for. With Cotton Guard to boost its Defense by three stages all while having a spammable STAB, great coverage, and recovery, Mega Altaria is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Not only does it have all that going for it, it can go mixed very easily thanks to having Hyper Voice for special STAB or Return for physical STAB with its coverage extending from Earthquake to Flamethrower. This is definitely going to be a threat despite losing to the top dogs of Full Potential (Tapu Koko, Mega Scizor, etc.)

Mega Audino
While this may not make as much of a splash as the first two "new" Megas, Mega Audino definitely has things going for it. It has great coverage (being part Normal-type helps with that lol) and it has Amnesia to boost its Special Defense with ease. It also can become a pretty neat pre-Mega thanks to having Regenerator, allowing it to pivot when necessary.

Mega Swampert
While this may seem a bit of an oddball to talk about, I feel it is warranted because Swampert gets Barrier and a nice boost to its bulk upon Mega Evolving. Swampert also can serve as offensive support with Stealth Rock to hinder pivoting (which is done a lot thanks to top mons such as Tapu Koko and Mega Scizor) and Scald to spread burns to hinder physical attacks. It also has a very nice defensive typing thanks to most mons not even having Grass STAB/coverage, leaving it to tank hits fairly easily.

My Team

Welcome to Homeworld, home to all sorts of Gems (and the evil Diamonds)! Latias + Diancie are the main core of this team as they have extremely good synergy and bring a lot of resists to the table. Latias provides Defog support while also being able to spam Draco Meteors like no one's business thanks to not having to worry about the Special Attack drop anymore. Diancie provides the support for the team as she can use Trick Room to either usurp opposing TR teams or to facilitate her team to overpower the opponent. Next up, Mega Scizor was added to help patch up the Steel weakness that Diancie brought on while also giving the team a much needed pivot. Hidden Power Fire is there specifically for Ferrothorn and opposing Scizors, but it can be replaced with other Hidden Powers such as HP Grass for Mega Swampert. Chansey is the offensive support of the team (never thought I would say that) as she provides 60% chance to paralyze mons with STAB Body Slam as well as laying down Stealth Rock when necessary. Toxapex was added to take care of the power Steel-type sweepers that would try and set up on this team due to the lack of a surefire way to get rid of them. Regice was the last add and wasn't there initially. I couldn't think of a 6th man for the life of me and when I found Regice, I was hooked. The coverage it has coupled with an Assault Vest makes it a very potent wallbreaker in Full Potential.

Anyways, I am hoping with this bump, this OM can come back into the spotlight and people will want to try and build and play despite this not being on the main server since this seemed to be so popular when it was OMotM.

Also, tagging Funbot28 so she can update the VR (particularly get rid of Mega Metagross) and maybe pose some VR-related questions for us all to discuss :)

SaturnZelda

Hey guys, long time no see! (In terms of this OM anyways lol)

I figured it was high time I bumped this back into relevancy as it is only a matter of time before this is eligible for OMotM again (in October to be exact) and I wanted to start off this bump with a couple of things.

The "New" Megas
Since this died back in April, tons of the Mega stones were released and as such has released some potentially interesting threats into the Full Potential metagame. I want to go through the ones I feel are worth taking a look at and going over what they could possibly achieve in such a "defensively offensive" OM.

Mega Aggron
With this beast of a Mega boasting 230 Defense, Mega Aggron is bound to become a behemoth in Full Potential. Not only does it have a pure Steel typing, it also has Filter to back up its defenses while on the offensive side of things he has Iron Defense as well as a powerful Heavy Slam. While Steel isn't the best offensive typing, and with the multitude of mixed attackers being able to now take advantage of his uninvested Special Defense, Mega Aggron is still something to look out for and is arguably better than say Mega Steelix, who much appreciates staying un-Mega'd to take advantage of Sheer Force.

Mega Altaria
Omg, this is the monster we have been waiting for. With Cotton Guard to boost its Defense by three stages all while having a spammable STAB, great coverage, and recovery, Mega Altaria is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Not only does it have all that going for it, it can go mixed very easily thanks to having Hyper Voice for special STAB or Return for physical STAB with its coverage extending from Earthquake to Flamethrower. This is definitely going to be a threat despite losing to the top dogs of Full Potential (Tapu Koko, Mega Scizor, etc.)

Mega Audino
While this may not make as much of a splash as the first two "new" Megas, Mega Audino definitely has things going for it. It has great coverage (being part Normal-type helps with that lol) and it has Amnesia to boost its Special Defense with ease. It also can become a pretty neat pre-Mega thanks to having Regenerator, allowing it to pivot when necessary.

Mega Swampert
While this may seem a bit of an oddball to talk about, I feel it is warranted because Swampert gets Barrier and a nice boost to its bulk upon Mega Evolving. Swampert also can serve as offensive support with Stealth Rock to hinder pivoting (which is done a lot thanks to top mons such as Tapu Koko and Mega Scizor) and Scald to spread burns to hinder physical attacks. It also has a very nice defensive typing thanks to most mons not even having Grass STAB/coverage, leaving it to tank hits fairly easily.

My Team

Welcome to Homeworld, home to all sorts of Gems (and the evil Diamonds)! Latias + Diancie are the main core of this team as they have extremely good synergy and bring a lot of resists to the table. Latias provides Defog support while also being able to spam Draco Meteors like no one's business thanks to not having to worry about the Special Attack drop anymore. Diancie provides the support for the team as she can use Trick Room to either usurp opposing TR teams or to facilitate her team to overpower the opponent. Next up, Mega Scizor was added to help patch up the Steel weakness that Diancie brought on while also giving the team a much needed pivot. Hidden Power Fire is there specifically for Ferrothorn and opposing Scizors, but it can be replaced with other Hidden Powers such as HP Grass for Mega Swampert. Chansey is the offensive support of the team (never thought I would say that) as she provides 60% chance to paralyze mons with STAB Body Slam as well as laying down Stealth Rock when necessary. Toxapex was added to take care of the power Steel-type sweepers that would try and set up on this team due to the lack of a surefire way to get rid of them. Regice was the last add and wasn't there initially. I couldn't think of a 6th man for the life of me and when I found Regice, I was hooked. The coverage it has coupled with an Assault Vest makes it a very potent wallbreaker in Full Potential.

Anyways, I am hoping with this bump, this OM can come back into the spotlight and people will want to try and build and play despite this not being on the main server since this seemed to be so popular when it was OMotM.

Also, tagging Funbot28 so she can update the VR (particularly get rid of Mega Metagross) and maybe pose some VR-related questions for us all to discuss :)
Put me in council when
Seriously though, I agree. Some of these new Megas are going to be doing some things. I also like how you didn't focus on Speed at all during this post, because a bunch of people that dislike the metagame make the point of "They meant for it to have walls with offensive pressure. Instead there's only Speed!!1!1!!1!" Grats to you

Reactions: nv

nv

The Lost Age
Welp, it's that time of the month again where I bump this in hopes of it making OMotM. This time, though, we actually have a shot because people have been talking about this OM a lot more recently, which has me super excited. There are some things I need to go over before this (hopefully) becomes OMotM again :)

First off, TylerWithNumbers brought to my attention that Dugtrio should be unbanned due to OU banning Arena Trap, leaving Dugtrio to be nowhere near the threat it originally was in Full Potential. I also wanted to mention that Funbot28 ’s team will be archived as Arena Trap is now banned and Diglett serves no purpose with Dugtrio allowed again. Tyler also mentioned that TheBurgerKing99 said that Swampertite is still legal despite Swift Swim being banned and therefore it needs to be banned as well. Tagging urkerab and Spandan to unban Dugtrio and ban Swampertite on ROM and DH respectively.

Secondly, with this in the running for OMotM, I figured it was high time that the VR gets a major overhaul to reflect Pokemon that are prominent in the meta.

A ---> A+
B ---> B+
A+ ---> A
B+ ---> C
A- ---> B+
A- ---> B+
B+ ---> B-
B+ ---> B-
B ---> C
B- ---> UR
C ---> UR
C- ---> UR
C ---> UR
Lastly, as I always do, I am going to provide a couple of fun sets that I have been looking into and messing with.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge / Waterium Z
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Poison Jab
- Scald
- Recover

While this looks very similar to the common set on Toxapex, it is a more offensive take on it due to Merciless being ran over Regenerator as well as the potential use of Waterium Z. What this gives Toxapex is a more offensive output to its already stellar 152 offensive stat, allowing it to drop down TSpikes and proceed to crit its way to victory. Waterium Z can help with Steel-types that can avoid being Poisoned and potentially allow Toxapex to nuke a bulkier target.

Primarina @ Waterium Z
Ability: Torrent
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Aqua Jet
- Amnesia

While Primarina lacks the ability to have any sort of physical coverage, it has STAB priority, which is heavily appreciated in a meta like this. Being able to break through bulkier teams with Amnesia + its great neutral STAB coverage allows it to potentially clean up as well. This is definitely not meta defining, but it shines as an unique sweeper as most bulky setup mons tend to lack priority to circumvent their Speed.
To spark some lively discussion, in hopes that this wins OMotM, I would love to see sample sets and ideas that you guys have and anything you want to discuss VR-wise as well as any sample teams that you guys might have to add to the archive (because I want to eventually host tours and the more good sample teams we have, the better lol).

Thanks for nominating this to the voting stage and let's hope it wins :D

Starboy (Mew) @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rock Polish
- Psychic
- Drain Punch
- Overheat

Stargirl (Sylveon) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hyper Voice

Secrets (Zygarde-10%) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power

Die For You (Skarmory) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Brave Bird

Sidewalks (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Bullet Punch
- Vacuum Wave
- Hidden Power [Electric]

True Colors (Latias) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Healing Wish

This is the only I could find unfortunately. I had a lot more teams but I lost them somehow. The team is just basic HO. Skarm is one of the best leads in the meta, or at least it was back then, I don't know how much the meta changed. Custap Berry is still unreleased tho, so Skarm has to run Salac Berry. Those 50% recovery berries are an option too. I even used BrightPowder for a while, don't ask me why. Mew is a really fun mon because Genesis Supernova cockblocks priority which is, for some teams, the best or sometimes even only way to deal with fast mons. It also blocks your own priority and this team has lots of it, so you have to find the right time to sweep with Mew. Sylveon isn't as stupid anymore because of the new megas, but it should still be really good. Scizor got even better with all the changes and beats like 70% of the meta once it's at +2. The only problem with that is that it has to get to +2 first, which can be difficult because so many mons run fire coverage. Scarf Zydog is a great revengekiller and is really difficult to switch in becuase of thousand arrows. Epower is good against Scizor, Altaria and Furfrou which might try to set up. Latias provides Healing Wish support and makes the team even weaker against TTar than it already is, EQ over Psyshock might be an option.

I hope this meta wins OMotM and I'll help with the VR if it does, because there are still some things wrong with it. Like how the fuck is Electrode B+, I already talked about this. Also, put me in council when

Last edited:
Reactions: nv
Hey y'all the psycho is back
Just wanted to say yay congrats to this meta for winning this month's om. Im just glad a meta i like finally won this time so i can finally return to playing omtms

To celebrate, im gonna share some mons that may have potential/i would like to use

Warning: very long post
(180 def): pretty nice coverage, learns iron defense and slack off, too bad weak from special
(152 def): merciless is gonna be goood
(131 def): defensive and hits hard, nice
(140 def): weak armor iron defense set?
(125 def): now gets to use move like fire blast to round off its coverage, nice
(130 spd): calm mind set sounds nice
(130 spe): yea its broken as shit

(230 def): mmMM, also learns iron defense
(140 def): learns iron defense and has decent movepool
(110 def): learns cotton guard and has godly typing, nuff said
(140 spd): nice typing and surprisingly good movepool
(135 spd): godly bulk + godly movepool + good spdef? haha no thanks
(130 spd): pixilate quick attack memes finally becomes true
(150 spe): agility 3 attacks set?
(130 spe): scarf set maybe?

(180 def): eh too bad movepool sucks
(150 def): iron defense + eviolite = profit
(150 spd/def): sounds decent
(154 spd): good spdef, ass movepool
(150 spd): good movepool, maybe av set?
(132 spd): mm water bubble + av + rain sounds real nice
(130 spe): bootleg tapu koko, also a decent electric switchin
(130 spe): scarf double edge? Idk
(126 spe): i mean cmon, its talonflame
(125 spe): Screech

(135 spd): decent speed and good spdef, sounds nice
(130 spd): fat and good movepool
(129 spd): idk anything about it but seems like a cool typing
(145 spe): decent scarfer?
(120 spe): deserves a mention cause its sceptile
(120 spe): sounds broken with shell smash, i love it
(116): deserves a mention since it has decently powerful priority in nature power

(160 spe): agility set sounds nice
(150 spe): scarf sounds interesting
(200 spd): av set with good coverage
(150 spd): maybe useable as a magnet pull user?
(184 def): yummy high def with iron defense

I didnt realize alot of the mons i mentioned are already on the vr haha, oh well then sorry for making this unneccesarily long

Yea thats pretty much it, looking forward to play this!

Edit: few corrections

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Hey y'all the psycho is back
Just wanted to say yay congrats to this meta for winning this month's om. Im just glad a meta i like finally won this time so i can finally return to playing omtms

To celebrate, im gonna share some mons that may have potential/i would like to use

Warning: very long post
(180 def): pretty nice coverage, learns iron defense and slack off, too bad weak from special
(152 def): merciless is gonna be goood
(131 def): defensive and hits hard, nice
(140 def): weak armor iron defense set?
(125 def): broken as shit
(130 spd): calm mind set sounds nice
(130 spe): yea its broken as shit

(230 def): mmMM, also learns iron defense
(140 def): learns iron defense and has decent movepool
(110 def): learns cotton guard and has godly typing, nuff said
(140 spd): nice typing and surprisingly good movepool
(135 spd): godly bulk + godly movepool + good spdef? haha no thanks
(130 spd): pixilate quick attack memes finally becomes true
(150 spe): agility 3 attacks set?
(130 spe): scarf set maybe?

(180 def): eh too bad movepool sucks
(150 def): iron defense + eviolite = profit
(150 spd/def): sounds decent
(154 spd): good spdef, ass movepool
(150 spd): good movepool, maybe av set?
(132 spd): mm water bubble + av + rain sounds real nice
(130 spe): bootleg tapu koko, also a decent electric switchin
(130 spe): scarf double edge? Idk
(126 spe): i mean cmon, its talonflame
(125 spe): Screech

(135 spd): decent speed and good spdef, sounds nice
(130 spd): fat and good movepool
(129 spd): idk anything about it but seems like a cool typing
(145 spe): decent scarfer?
(120 spe): deserves a mention cause its sceptile
(120 spe): sounds broken with shell smash, i love it
(116): its the only special priority user (nature power) so it deserves a mention

(160 spe): agility set sounds nice
(150 spe): scarf sounds interesting
(200 spd): av set with good coverage
(150 spd): maybe useable as a magnet pull user?
(184 def): yummy high def with iron defense

I didnt realize alot of the mons i mentioned are already on the vr haha, oh well then sorry for making this unneccesarily long

Yea thats pretty much it, looking forward to play this!
Whimsicott isn't the only user of special priority because Vacuum Wave exists, and actually has viable users in FP, the best being Hitmontop but Kartana, Mew, and Scizor all get it too (altho I suspect Scizor has better things to do).

(125 def): broken as shit
just a quick thing, mawile will always use it's attack stat because of huge power (0 IVs 0 evs bold will manage to have 3 points more than max defense) so you're just better off using max attack.

besides that, mawile does get to use fire blast and ice beam coming off of it's big attack stat (fire blast gets to hit steelix, ferrothorn, msciz, doulade, and maggron for nice damage.

e: unless if you use iron defense...
excited for this meta to be omotm again!

Last edited:
Whimsicott isn't the only user of special priority because Vacuum Wave exists, and actually has viable users in FP, the best being Hitmontop but Kartana, Mew, and Scizor all get it too (altho I suspect Scizor has better things to do).
Oh ye true, easy to forget vaccum wave exists when it has bad destribution and not many good users
just a quick thing, mawile will always use it's attack stat because of huge power (0 IVs 0 evs bold will manage to have 3 points more than max defense) so you're just better off using max attack.

besides that, mawile does get to use fire blast and ice beam coming off of it's big attack stat (fire blast gets to hit steelix, ferrothorn, msciz, doulade, and maggron for nice damage.

e: unless if you use iron defense...
excited for this meta to be omotm again!
Oh i didnt know that thanks for pointing it out. Still, as u mentioned it got buffed thanks to new being able to use fire blast/focus blast

Hey guys, I would like to know what stat the furfrou will use to attack in this way, he will use the speed or he will use the defense, being that he has fur coat and I will use cotton guard. if he uses the speed to attack, should I use the defense naturally higher?

Furfrou @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 Def / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Cotton Guard
- Return
- Dark Pulse
- Surf

SaturnZelda

Hey guys, I would like to know what stat the furfrou will use to attack in this way, he will use the speed or he will use the defense, being that he has fur coat and I will use cotton guard. if he uses the speed to attack, should I use the defense naturally higher?

Furfrou @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 Def / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Cotton Guard
- Return
- Dark Pulse
- Surf
You’d use Defense, and just so this isn’t a one liner, let me share a set that I think could be pretty fun under Trick Room.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Aura Sphere
- Explosion
So, it’s a pretty standard Magearna set, except with Iron Head over Flash Cannon, a spammable Fleur Cannon, and Explosion to go out with a bang. Yes, Soul-Heart does boost SpA, but spammable Fleur Cannon is very useful. Explosion and Iron Head are there to hit on the physical side

Last edited:
I apologize if this has already been answered: does tailwind double speed stats of affected Pokemon? In other words does it boost the calculated stat and make things ridiculously powerful for its duration?

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
I apologize if this has already been answered: does tailwind double speed stats of affected Pokemon? In other words does it boost the calculated stat and make things ridiculously powerful for its duration?
Yes, at least that's how it worked last season, and I don't see that it would have changed in the meantime! What usually limits the utility is how dang short it lasts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)