Research Gen 7 RBY VC - Notable Tradeback Moves

Hi!

I made a list of moves that I think are notable that are only available through tradeback from RBY.

Note that the definition of viable/notable, for this list, is very loose. The moves listed will almost always be inferior to the better, more reliable movesets these Pokemon can run, with the few exceptions being Counter Alakazam and Body Slam Tauros.

Notable options
Tri Attack Alakazam
Double-Edge Fearow (was available in gen 3, but it now becomes legal with Sniper)
Focus Energy Eevee
Focus Energy + Leaf Blade Leafeon
Psywave Chansey, Blissey (Mainly for Ubers since Mega Gengar beats Seismic Toss variants of both of them)
Reflect Chansey, Blissey
Body Slam Tauros (was available in gen 3, but it now becomes legal with Sheer Force, making it more reliable, albeit 5BP weaker than Rock Climb)
Counter Alakazam (was available in gen 3, but now it becomes legal with Magic Guard, preventing status and Leech Seed damage)
Reflect Umbreon
Reflect Vaporeon
Reflect Dragonite
Reflect Tentacruel
Reflect Blastoise
Tri Attack Wigglytuff
Reflect + Light Screen Electrode
Reflect + Light Screen Zapdos
Skull Bash Hitmonlee + Power Herb
Skull Bash Porygon2 (a bit gimmicky since it takes two turns to charge but a STAB move that can get a Defense boost and hit decently hard with an Analytic boost makes this a considerable option. No Download and the previously mentioned charge time is still a shame, though.)
Mind Reader + Fissure Poliwrath (The only other example of the competitively horrid OHKO move strategy that might have a shot for in-game teams - however, Articuno is vastly superior as it's way faster than Poliwrath, except under rain)

Please contribute anything you think might have a small niche that is not already listed! As for GSC, I might tackle that one soon enough, but I can't think of anything that GSC might have that we don't already aside from Curse Porygon2, Marowak, Tangrowth, Lugia and some others, I'm sure. I definitely plan to try to find interesting moves for GSC in the future.

This is a good resource for anyone looking for moves to contribute, if you're interested.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Hi!

I made a list of moves that I think are notable that are only available through tradeback from RBY.

Note that the definition of viable/notable, for this list, is very loose. The moves listed will almost always be inferior to the better, more reliable movesets these Pokemon can run, with the few exceptions being Counter Alakazam and Body Slam Tauros.

Notable options
Tri Attack Alakazam
Focus Energy Eevee
Focus Energy + Leaf Blade Leafeon
Psywave Chansey, Blissey (Mainly for Ubers since Mega Gengar beats Seismic Toss variants of both of them)
Reflect Chansey, Blissey
Body Slam Tauros (was available in gen 3, but it now becomes legal with Sheer Force, making it more reliable, albeit 5BP weaker than Rock Climb)
Counter Alakazam (was available in gen 3, but now it becomes legal with Magic Guard, preventing status and Leech Seed damage)
Reflect Umbreon
Reflect Vaporeon
Reflect Dragonite
Reflect Tentacruel
Reflect Blastoise
Tri Attack Wigglytuff
Reflect + Light Screen Electrode
Reflect + Light Screen Zapdos
Skull Bash Hitmonlee + Power Herb
Skull Bash Porygon2 (a bit gimmicky since it takes two turns to charge but a STAB move that can get a Defense boost and hit decently hard with an Analytic boost makes this a considerable option. No Download and the previously mentioned charge time is still a shame, though.)
Mind Reader + Fissure Poliwrath (The only other example of the competitively horrid OHKO move strategy that might have a shot for in-game teams - however, Articuno is vastly superior as it's way faster than Poliwrath, except under rain)

Please contribute anything you think might have a small niche that is not already listed! As for GSC, I might tackle that one soon enough, but I can't think of anything that GSC might have that we don't already aside from Curse Porygon2, Marowak, Tangrowth, Lugia and some others, I'm sure. I definitely plan to try to find interesting moves for GSC in the future.

This is a good resource for anyone looking for moves to contribute, if you're interested.
This allows new parent movepool combinations to be passed down, as this means Pokémon that can now be partnered with a Pokémon that learns new movepool combinations.

My post combined Gen I, Gen II, and Gen VII relevance all at once.

Trading a Yellow Version starter Pikachu to GSC guarantees it will carry a Light Ball, which when held by a Pikachu in later generations breeds a Volt Tackle Pichu, which when evolved into Pikachu and given a Pikachuinium- can use Catastropika with Volt Tackle.

Light Ball also doubles Pikachu’s Attack and Special Attack so you can replace Pikachunium-Z and basically get a free Weakness Policy or Growth (under Sun).

Volt Tackle can also be used for Alolan-Raichu forms under Surge Surfer and Electric Surge (Choice Band? Life Orb?) means it hits like a self-imploding train coming at you fast.

At the very least, we now have a reason to use the Yellow Version Starter Pikachu! You know, the one that just can’t evolve! ;)

————
I hope this serves as a small or medium niche for having Pikachu or Alolan-Raichu of some value and use.
————
Bulbapedia facts on Light Ball:

Pokémon Emerald onward
If held by either parent of a Pichu when the Egg is produced, the Pichu that hatches will know the move Volt Tackle. From Generation VI onward, if a Pichu knows Volt Tackle this way (and was bred in Generation VI onward), it can be taught Volt Tackle again at the Move Reminder if it forgets the move.

Easy Obtain:
Held by the starting Pikachu from Pokémon Yellow if traded to Generation II

(So use Yellow Version to trade to Gold Or Silver Version to trade to Gen VII so you can get a Pikachu holding Light Ball to breed with a Gen 7 Pikachu to produce a Volt Tackle Pichu, which can evolve to produce a Pikachu that can use Catastropika! Or simply evolve that Pikachu that can use Catastropika into Alolan Raichu to get a strong and fast Electric Terrain sweeper!
———
As for Gen 2:
Whirlpool, Perish Song Sap Sipper Azumarill (give it Protect and Rest) so it can trap, Perish Song, and get it’s beauty sleep before it switches out. Keep in mind Sap Sipper means it is now only weak to Electric and Poison and is immune to Spore, Sljeep Powder, Stun Spore, Leech Seed antics.

Curse Scizor?

Last edited:
This allows new parent movepool combinations to be passed down, as this means Pokémon that can now be partnered with a Pokémon that learns new movepool combinations.

My post combined Gen I, Gen II, and Gen VII relevance all at once.

Trading a Yellow Version starter Pikachu to GSC guarantees it will carry a Light Ball, which when held by a Pikachu in later generations breeds a Volt Tackle Pichu, which when evolved into Pikachu and given a Pikachuinium- can use Catastropika with Volt Tackle.

Light Ball also doubles Pikachu’s Attack and Special Attack so you can replace Pikachunium-Z and basically get a free Weakness Policy or Growth (under Sun).

Volt Tackle can also be used for Alolan-Raichu forms under Surge Surfer and Electric Surge (Choice Band? Life Orb?) means it hits like a self-imploding train coming at you fast.

At the very least, we now have a reason to use the Yellow Version Starter Pikachu! You know, the one that just can’t evolve! ;)

————
I hope this serves as a small or medium niche for having Pikachu or Alolan-Raichu of some value and use.
————
Bulbapedia facts on Light Ball:

Pokémon Emerald onward
If held by either parent of a Pichu when the Egg is produced, the Pichu that hatches will know the move Volt Tackle. From Generation VI onward, if a Pichu knows Volt Tackle this way (and was bred in Generation VI onward), it can be taught Volt Tackle again at the Move Reminder if it forgets the move.

Easy Obtain:
Held by the starting Pikachu from Pokémon Yellow if traded to Generation II

(So use Yellow Version to trade to Gold Or Silver Version to trade to Gen VII so you can get a Pikachu holding Light Ball to breed with a Gen 7 Pikachu to produce a Volt Tackle Pichu, which can evolve to produce a Pikachu that can use Catastropika! Or simply evolve that Pikachu that can use Catastropika into Alolan Raichu to get a strong and fast Electric Terrain sweeper!
———
As for Gen 2:
Whirlpool, Perish Song Sap Sipper Azumarill (give it Protect and Rest) so it can trap, Perish Song, and get it’s beauty sleep before it switches out. Keep in mind Sap Sipper means it is now only weak to Electric and Poison and is immune to Spore, Sljeep Powder, Stun Spore, Leech Seed antics.

Curse Scizor?
Light Ball has no relevance since items can't be transferred from Gen II to Bank. Besides, Volt Tackle is a tutor move for Pikachu in Gen VII anyway.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
OM! Items can't go through Bank.

Light Ball from the Yellow starter is impossible to reach Gen 7. You can however catch Pikachu's with Light Balls from SOS Encounters on Route 1. Also Volt Tackle is a tutor move either way.

Also I am sure I have seen a post very similar to this somewhere else, but I am not sure where. If I find it, I will likely merge the two threads as they have very similar content.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
OM! Items can't go through Bank.

Light Ball from the Yellow starter is impossible to reach Gen 7. You can however catch Pikachu's with Light Balls from SOS Encounters on Route 1. Also Volt Tackle is a tutor move either way.

Also I am sure I have seen a post very similar to this somewhere else, but I am not sure where. If I find it, I will likely merge the two threads as they have very similar content.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...clusive-to-the-virtual-console-games.3577468/

I think the other thread encompasses everything in here, though I only skimmed it.

While not actually good, here are some interesting Combos:

-Submission/Double-Edge Reckless Rhydon/Rhyperior (Previously the only recoil move that was compatible with Reckless was Take Down)
-Submisson Rock Head Alolan Marowak
-Electrium Z Zap Cannon Espeon/Slowbro/Slowking/Alakazam/Hypno (The only fully-evolved Pokemon I could find that get Zap Cannon, but do not have any Electric moves or not anything better on the special side than Shock Wave, and additionally can actually use special moves pretty well)
-Curse in general, everything that can learn TMs in Gen II can learn the move.

For for shit 'n' giggles, Curse/Gyro Ball Analytic Magnezone. You should never use this set, but it is a very unique combination of moves and abilities no other Pokemon can pull off.

EDIT: Also nice to see people remember my thread, I spent a lot of time on that only because I wanted to, I found it fun going through the movepools of all of the Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon one at a time to find stuff.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...clusive-to-the-virtual-console-games.3577468/

I think the other thread encompasses everything in here, though I only skimmed it.
That is an amazing list - thanks for sharing! However, Nokocchi's list isn't a list for notable moves from what I've seen, it appears to just be a list of moves Pokemon only learn in the VC games, rather than moves that may be notable. It's a lot more comprehensive than the reddit link i had linked in the OP though, so I really like it.

While not actually good, here are some interesting Combos:

-Submission/Double-Edge Reckless Rhydon/Rhyperior (Previously the only recoil move that was compatible with Reckless was Take Down)
-Submisson Rock Head Alolan Marowak
-Electrium Z Zap Cannon Espeon/Slowbro/Slowking/Alakazam/Hypno (The only fully-evolved Pokemon I could find that get Zap Cannon, but do not have any Electric moves or not anything better on the special side than Shock Wave, and additionally can actually use special moves pretty well)
-Curse in general, everything that can learn TMs in Gen II can learn the move.

For for shit 'n' giggles, Curse/Gyro Ball Analytic Magnezone. You should never use this set, but it is a very unique combination of moves and abilities no other Pokemon can pull off.

EDIT: Also nice to see people remember my thread, I spent a lot of time on that only because I wanted to, I found it fun going through the movepools of all of the Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon one at a time to find stuff.
All real cool ones - I particularly like Zap Cannon on Slowbro/king to pressure bulky waters with Z-Zap Cannon. May I add:
  • Pursuit Rhyperior
  • Zap Cannon + Gravity Clefable / Starmie
  • CroTei (Sacred Fire + Curse + RestTalk)
EDIT: OH AND CURSE WHITE HERB HITMONLEE TOO

Last edited:
That is an amazing list - thanks for sharing! However, Nokocchi's list isn't a list for notable moves from what I've seen, it appears to just be a list of moves Pokemon only learn in the VC games, rather than moves that may be notable. It's a lot more comprehensive than the reddit link i had linked in the OP though, so I really like it.

All real cool ones - I particularly like Zap Cannon on Slowbro/king to pressure bulky waters with Z-Zap Cannon. May I add:
  • Pursuit Electivire / Rhyperior
  • Zap Cannon + Gravity Clefable / Starmie
  • CroTei (Sacred Fire + Curse + RestTalk)
EDIT: OH AND CURSE WHITE HERB HITMONLEE TOO
Ummm... Pursuit Elekid was a Pokemon Center event, none of those(Which includes all of those Lovely Kiss users, Rapid Spin Geodude, Growth Eevee, ect) are available in the VC games and even if you have them hacked into your GS save file they will not transfer to Gen VII.

Last edited:
Ummm... Pursuit Elekid was a Pokemon Center event, none of those(Which includes all of those Lovely Kiss users, Rapid Spin Geodude, Growth Eevee, ect) are available in the VC games and even if you have them hacked into your GS save file they will not transfer to Gen VII.
Oh yeah I'm aware, I just didn't know Elekid was PCNY - sorry :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)