[Gen7] S/M CAP Sample Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by HeaLnDeaL

The main goal of this thread is to archive teams that do a great job of showcasing a certain style of play or archetype that's prominent (or at least good) in the current metagame. This can help beginner and intermediate level players get acclimated to the CAP metagame, making the tier more accessible. I'll be actively looking for teams to archive, and I'll be consulting a variety of people when making these decisions to ensure high quality teams are added. I will post when new teams are added to the archive.

In addition to that, this thread will definitely be used to add teams, of course. For those interested in submitting a team, the guidelines are simple:
  • Provide an importable of your team
  • Provide an explanation of your team
  • Provide replays or some other form of success with the team
Other resources:

Team Archive

Ghost Spam - Drapionswing

Necturna @ Rockium Z
Ability: Forewarn
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Shell Smash
- Shadow Claw
- Stone Edge

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 24 SpD / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Mollux @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 128 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Rain Offense - sparktrain

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Hurricane
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Tomohawk @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Nature Power
- Healing Wish

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- U-turn

Sticky Web Offense - cbrevan

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes
- Water Shuriken

Syclant @ Groundium Z
Ability: Mountaineer
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Necturna @ Focus Sash
Ability: Forewarn
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Power Whip
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stone Edge

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Fang

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Trick Room Offense - snake_rattler

Fidgit @ Black Sludge
Ability: Persistent
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD
Bold Nature
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Swords Dance

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Fly

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 22 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Curse

Last edited:
Z Gyarados And balanced

Colossoil @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 20 HP / 220 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Pyroak @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
Calm Nature
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Synthesis

Cyclohm @ Leftovers
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Slack Off
- Discharge
- Ice Beam

Tomohawk @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- Earth Power

EXPLAIN

Ok this is my first sample team. The team's strategy is to pressure the opponent and let Gyarados boost and sweep. It's a bulky offensive team with Pokemon that can play offensively while taking hits at the same time, like Colossoil and Mega Metagross. Pyroak puts up rocks for chip damage against walls and sash mons.

Gyarados: Flyinium Z makes it a really good setup sweeper because 160 BP Supersonic Skystrike easily kills Tomohawk, one of the strongest defensive walls now. The only problem is Cyclohm, but you have Colo and LO Tomo to defeat that.

Pyroak: This mon is the Stealth Rock lead and a specially defensive mon for strong attackers like Tapu Koko and LO Kyurem which are big threats to the team. With Roar, it says bye to all setup sweepers.

Colossoil: The purpose of this mon is to kill Electric-types who beat Gyarados like Cyclohm, Xurkitree, and Thundurus, as well as Rock-types like Nihilego and Stratagem. It is also the Rapid Spinner.

M-Metagross: The role of this mega is to kill some specific mons that destroy the team like LO Tomohawk and Tapu Lele. It is the 2nd sweeper.

Cyclohm: The support mon and the defensive wall, checks Zygarde with Ice Beam. With Heal Bell, it helps heal the team of burn, para, or toxic, especially on M-Metagross, Gyarados, and Pyroak.

Tomohawk: The team's only special sweeper. It beats Cyclohm and most defensive walls which cause more problems, and is just really good.

CHECKS AND COUNTERS

Tapu Koko: The strongest check for the team because his Speed and Special Attack allow him to easily kill Tomohawk, Metagross, Cyclohm, and Gyarados.

Skarmory + Chansey: The duo resists everything, and if Gyara gets a boost the opponent can just switch into Skarmory and click Whirlwind.

Flyinium Z Landorus-T: It kills everything, but you can hit it hard with attacks like Ice Beam from Cyclohm.

Zygarde: Make problems but it's not too bad thanks to Roar Pyroak and Ice Beam Cyclohm, but if it gets boosts there's no chance to live.

Cawmodore: is one of the most problematic checks. It has a lot of opportunities to set up a Belly Drum because all of the mons are a little slow. And if it gets the boost it can cause problems, since it can kill everything except for Cyclohm

REPLAYS :D
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-523216210
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-523229694
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-523234800
And ty to box help me with the writte

Last edited:
snake_rattler's PheroPlas Offense and Airwind's Flyinium Z Gyarados Balance have been added to the archive. Airwind, we did make some very small edits to the team since Gyarados was missing 16 EVs, Pyroak had Rock Head, et cetera. Nothing major though. Thank you for the submissions!

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/a-mega-crucibelle-tomohawk-balance.3594813/
I explained everything in my rmt, but basically this is a balance team that aims to get chip damage with its walls for a crucibelle or zygarde sweep later. However, a lot of this team is basically just walling stuff.

Mega Crucibelle - revenge killer that dishes out a huge amount of dmg, counters some fire and flying types like mollux, pyroak, zapdos, and torn-t. Grabs momentum w/ uturn and immense coverage allows it to wallbreak. Primary physical attacker

Tomohawk - 2nd revenge killer, except it targets very fast threats that are weakened w/ nature power, like a cawmadore that is at low health after belly drumming + chip. Hurricane and epower are the infamous coverage tomohawk gets to hit a bunch of mons supereffective/neutrally. roost is used in conjunction w/ prankster to have recovery as to prevent being worn down by colossoil's chip dmg. Primary special attacker

Celesteela - 1st wall. walls flyinium lando-t, offensive tomohawk, and tapu lele. leech seed + protect is great for recovery, and generally is helpful for forcing switches. air slash can be used to hit tomo and gyarados harder, but eq hits mollux and magnezone. heavy slam is for stratagem, syclant, and fairies.

Pyroak - my rocker that is very good in a variety of matchups, as a lot of teams run electric types and mega metagross. pyroak walls mega-meta, krilowatt, tapu koko, and soft counters syclant

Tapu fini - water counter and hazard remover. counters volkraken, battle bond greninja, and mega sharpedo. protect vs nature's madness is explained in my rmt, but protect is used to stall out TR and tailwind turns, rack up lefties recovery, and punish opponent's doubles and choice scarfed locked moves. Nature's madness is used as a great chip dmg move.

Zygarde - the only thing that prevents me from being obliterated by dugtrio stall. it is also great vs balance, as it can just use sub + toxic on walls and then watch toxic dmg rack up if they stay in. if they switch, i can sub and be safe to setup w/ coil or toxic another mon. my only counter to mega crucibelle and secondary counter to mollux. Play carefully against teams w/ mega cruci, as mega crucibelle can use uturn to wear down zygarde rather easily and/or if u sub too much, you wont have enough hp to counter mega crucibelle anymore.

CHECKS AND COUNTERS
U-turn Mega Crucibelle and Life Orb Pherosmosa
These things can just threaten certain members of my team, and pivot against my counters, easily weakening said counters.

Grassium-Z Fire types
Volcanion and heatran just has coverage for my entire team w/ bloom doom. Thankfully i can check them with mega crucibelle and/or zygarde.

Cawmadore
Once it sets up belly drum, i have no checks or counters.

REPLAYS
vs Heaven Jay. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-524611184
vs snake rattler's Trick Room team. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-527863048

Hoopa-Unbound Balance

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Volkraken @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- U-turn

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z/focus sash
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Tomohawk @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Roost
- Rapid Spin
- Air Slash

Hoopa-Unbound @ Shed Shell
Ability: Magician
Timid/Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Nasty Plot

Slowbro: This is a mega slowbro as it is my main Mega Metagross counter. It is also my mollux and volkraken counter. Mega slowbro is on this team because it can be a great wincon late game when everything is weakened. Mega slowbro is also a solid fire and water resist. To sum it up, Mega bro is my mixed wall.

Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn pairs really well with Mega bro. It can put up leech seeds to aid Mega bro who has no lefties recovery. This also checks Metagross if Mega bro goes down. THis is my manaphy, crucibelle, Krillowat counter. Ferrothorn also checks lele and syclant. This is my electric resist, dragon resist, fairy resist, and other water resist.

Volkraken: This is my revenge killer. Volkraken helps me beat aurumoth at +1 as well as check cawmodore. This is my offensive heatran check as well. This is a great scarfer as it can revenge kill protean gren not locked into water move, koko, and syclant. Volkraken hits very hard with analytic.

Garchomp: This is my stealth rocker. I have dragonium z because it helps me check zygarde. This garchomp can be threathening for other balance teams. Garchomp can help me take fire hits and rock hits. this is one of my sweepers.

Tomohawk:This is my secondary cawm check and my colo, bulu counter. This helps me beat sd sweepers and dd sweepers. Tomohawk is also a last ditch effort to beat aurumoth if i have to haze all the stats aways.

Hoopa-Unbound: You may be asking "why do u have shed shell?" Well the answer is Hoopa-unbound is my stall breaker and I don't want to eb trapped by dugtrio. Stall gets annoyed by this very easily. This is my wallbreaker as well. Hoopa-unbound gives me a psychic immunity.

Annyoing mons to deal with:
Greninja( both forms)- greninja is very annoying for this team to handle, especially protean gren. I have no switchins to protean gren.

Zygarde- My answer to that is my chomp and possible hazing and cming with bro. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-530885303
Celesteela-this thing will sit here for hours. I either have to kill it will fire blast or burning it with bro.

LO tomohawk- no switchins, and have to revenge kill with volk or hoopa(lives one hit).

Stratagem:Slowbro can tank one hit, tomo have to roost stall, and hoopa lives one hit if lo, 2 if non lo.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-530879864
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-530897253
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-530942667 The Bro sweep

Last edited:

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Spikes Voltturn

Volkraken @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip

Crucibelle-Mega @ Crucibellite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

How it Works:

The team is just meant to restrain your opponents switchins as much as possible, while building your momentum until you get to the point where you can just click moves on your cleaners and win.

Scarf Volkraken is the teams cawm check using surf over hydro to safely k.o cawm.

Tapu koko is used to weaken ferros slowly with volt switch enough to put it in range of crucibelles low kick.

Ferrothorn as thunderwave to stop this team from just instantly losing to settup sweepers like salamence, volcarona and charizard. Spikes and rocks are also nice for racking up residual damage.

Crucibelle is carrying low kick because if it didn't this team would struggle a lot with ferro (don't tell me phero and kraken can kill it, common pairs with ferro beat them so the core just destroys the team).

Rotom is here for a ground check and flying check nothing really special about it.

Pheromosa is carrying spin because this team is weak to hazards and to lessen that strain it helps. Scarf is chosen to give me another revenge killer for faster setup sweepers or scarfers.

Threats:
Hazards
Pheromosa
Psychic Spam
Colossoil
Tapu lele's with HP fire
Zygarde

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-543475879
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-543472080
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-543435619 (In this replay kraken was specs but that got changed as you can see)

mxmts casts revive thread!

AuruNavi Balance

Aurumoth @ Psychium Z
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 SpA /4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Psyshock
- Blizzard

Naviathan @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Heavy Slam
- Waterfall
- Slack Off

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
IVs: 9 Spe
- Haze
- Knock Off
- Scald
- Recover

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

Aurumoth is the first half of the main offensive core of the team, and while it has some trouble switching in due to its multitude of common weaknesses, it's able to set up easily against passive mons like Arghonaut, Toxapex and defensive Landorus-T, and thanks to its amazing movepool, it's able to break past opposing Ferrothorn, Chansey, Zygarde and Cyclohm, threats that the rest of the team would struggle against. It also serves as a good check to some very dangerous threats like Zygarde and M-Medicham

Naviathan serves as Auru's partner in crime, as, unlike the Legendary Bug, it is able to outspeed the common 95 Speed Scarfers after a boost, making it significantly harder to revenge kill. Slack Off might be an unusual pick for the last move, but it allows Navi to win against Tomohawk 1v1 most of the time, and generally makes you much harder to wear down, besides Aurumoth already takes care of Toxapex/Arghonaut. However, Psychic Fangs is also a decent option for this moveslot, as it allows you to beat those bulky Water-Types, and it can be boosted by Psychic Terrain.

Ferrothorn is my Stealth Rock setter, and my main answer against the Tapus, Krilowatt and M-Swampert, as Power Whip and Gyro Ball deals heavy damage against them. A more physically defensive spread than usual is used here, as Toxapex already provides an answer to Ash-Greninja, and this reduces the damage taken against M-Swampert, which would be able to destroy the rest of the team under rain.

Toxapex checks special attackers, such as Offensive Tomohawk, Volkraken, Volcarona, Keldeo and of course, Ash-Greninja. I chose Pex instead of Arghonaut because it's much harder to wear down thanks to Regenerator, and makes this team less vulnerable to Hawlucha. Only 9 Spe EVs are needed to let you outspeed A-Marowak under Trick Room, so you're knock off its Thick Club before it's able to KO you with Bonemerang.

Tapu Lele is the team Scarfer, as not only it's able to revenge kill things like SD Kartana and M-Pinsir, but it also provides valuable support for the team, boosting the power of Aurumoth's Psyshock, and making it harder to revenge kill.

Landorus-Therian is the final member of the team, providing valuable immunities against Ground and Electric attacks, Hazard Removal and answers to threats like DD Charizard-X and opposing Landorus-T. The Speed EVs allows you to outspeed Timid Heatran.

Threats:

Trick Room: M-Camerupt in particular is particularly dangerous to this team, as my main answer to Fire-Types is Toxapex, but other TR staples like M-Mawile, Bulu and A-Marowak are more than capable of making huge holes in the team.

Volkraken Rain: While my defensive core is usually able to take care of Ash-Greninja or Kingdra variants, Specs Volkraken is able to 2HKO even Toxapex with boosted Hydro Pumps, so my best option is to apply offensive pressure.

Tapu Koko: HP Fire Variants are able to 2HKO Ferrothorn, my main check, so prediction is key in this match-up

Tapu Bulu: Ferrothorn is OHKO by All-Out-Pummeling, dislikes switching into Superpower or Nature Madness. Aurumoth is my second best Grass resist, but takes heavy damage from Stone Edge and it's unable to OHKO Assault Vest variants even after a boost. However, Naviathan should always be able to revenge kill it if necessary.

Magnezone: This team is very dependent on Ferrothorn to check certain mons, and Zone is able to remove it, letting its teammates break through the rest of my team.

Colossoil: Landorus-T is my best check, but even him takes a lot of damage from Gut's boosted Knock Off

Hawlucha: My best answer are Lando and Toxapex, but they don't like taking boosted Acrobatics repeatedly

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-699731303
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-696046891
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-688105705

A very fat and redwhiteandblue team for America Day!

FerroPex Toxic Spikes Semi-Stall

This (Latias) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Recover
- Ice Beam

Kong (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Scald
- Baneful Bunker

Has (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

A (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Funny (Tomohawk) @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Rapid Spin
- Hurricane
- Haze

Face (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

20180704_041127.png

Topping in at 9th on ladder, this semi-stall team focuses on the core of Ferrothorn and Toxapex, supported by surprisingly hefty amounts of passive and direct damage, and ideally finished by a good, clean Calm Mind Mega Latias sweep.

Specially Defensive Toxapex is the typical team lead, setting up one or two layers of Toxic Spikes as soon as possible, scouting and poisoning common opposing leads like Choice users, Knock Off Colossoil, U-Turn Fidget, U-Turn Tapu Koko, and other Knock Off or Taunt users with Baneful Bunker, as well as restoring lost HP upon switching with Regenerator and Recover.

Physically Defensive Ferrothorn, the other half of the team's core, can set Spikes, but is mostly a common switch-in to the many Electric and Ground-type moves plagueing Toxapex. Leech Seed ensures passive damage on all but grass types, Protect maximizes Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery and Toxic Spikes damage, while Gyro Ball is a surprisingly powerful answer to Toxapex's common threats like Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Landorus-T.

Specially Defensive Clefable is the Stealth Rock setter and Cleric, Wish-passing with Wish and Protect. Clefable also functions as a viable Special Setup counter, stopping setup sweepers like Tail Glow Syclant, Quiver Dance and Tail Glow Aurumoth, Calm Mind Mega Diancie, and Calm Mind Mega Latias in their tracks with Unaware and Moonblast.

Tomohawk and Clefable are mirrors to each other, in my opinion. Where Clefable stops Special setup, Tomohawk stops Physical setup with Pranskter Haze and confusion-inflicting Hurricane. Where Clefable passes HP, but inefficiently heals itself, Tomohawk is the most efficient self-healer on the team with Prankster Roost. And where Clefable sets up Rocks, Tomohawk removes them with Rapid Spin.

Heatran is the least used member of the team, but a very important glue. This team started with Double Dance Landorus-T as the Fire and Ground-type check and sweeper, but I found a lot of trouble with Mollux, and other defensive Fire and Poison types. Specially Defensive Heatran took that slot, rendering Poison and Fire type moves all but pointless, and trapping key defensive Pokemon such as Chansey, Tomohawk, and Mollux with Magma Storm, Toxic, and Taunt.

Calm Mind Mega Latias is another good poison check, but is similar to Ferrothorn in that she checks the Electric, Psychic, and Ground type moves that plague Toxapex. However, her main purpose is to clean up at the end of games with a Calm Mind Stored Power sweep. Recover keeps her healthy, while Ice Beam hurts Colossoil and other common Dark types.

Threats:

Mega Gyrados counters Mega Latias very well, and can break through Ferrothorn and Tomohawk with Dragon Dance boosted Crunch and Waterfall, respectively. However, Mega Gyrados is incredibly weak to the passive damage of Iron Barbs, Rocky Helmet, and Toxic Spikes.

Heal Block Pajantom ignores all effects of Toxic Spikes, and Spirit Shackle and Heal Block can target and eliminate nearly all of the Pokemon in the team. Pajantom seems to struggle against Ferrothorn, however, and a Clefable switch in usually forces Pajantom out.

Zeraora, the new release, can use Bulk Up and threaten much of the team with Life Orb boosted Plasma Fists or Close Combat coverage, or even a boosted Gigavolt Havoc coming off of Plasma Fists. Zeraora, much like Mega Gyrados, is very weak to passive damage, however, especially the Life Orb variant.

Non-Choice Tapu Lele threatens much of the team, as it outspeeds all but Mega Latias, and can hit every single member super-effectively with Psychic, Moonblast, and Focus Blast coverage. If Mega Latias switches in on a Psychic or Focus Blast, however, she can outheal Moonblast with Calm Mind and Recover, and the incredibly common Choice variants of Lele are easy to counter, especially when half of the team packs a form of Protect to scout the Choice, passively heal, and rack up Toxic Spikes damage.

Belly Drum Cawmodore is a threat whenever Tomohawk is off of the field, and can still be a threat if Tomohawk's Rocky Helmet is gone. Cawmodore is most commonly dealt with via Haze and Rocky Helmet damage, but without the Rocky Helmet, Tomohawk usually has to resort to Hazing and switching to bait out a second Belly Drum, often sacrificing a teammate in the process.

Other common Steel-types like Taunt Heatran and SD Mega Mawile also pose threats, with Heatran trapping exterminating key team members like Toxapex, and Mawile overwhelming much of the team with boosted Play Rough and Iron Head.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)