SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

More info on the characters:

Soji (Partner Pokemon: Lucario): A young male Trainer aiming to become a Pokémon Professor. His catchphrase is "Be advised that...".
Makoto (Partner Pokemon: Piplup): An energetic and masculine girl Trainer. She appears to enjoy adventures, but the truth is...
Bonji: A researcher that has chased after Ho-Oh for a long time. The author of "My Life is Ho-Oh".
Cross (Partner Pokemon: Incineroar): A boy that believes strength is everything and that aims to become the ultimate Trainer.

So they replaced Misty and Brock... for Misty 2.0 and Brock 2.0.
I find it weird and confusing too.
I don't know why the marketing team greenlighted this.
To be fair, Brock never wanted to be a professor, and Misty was never the energetic, adventurous girl. The girl sounds more like a less annoying Iris than Misty. Cross, on the other hand, is Gary through and through, apparently.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To be fair, Brock never wanted to be a professor, and Misty was never the energetic, adventurous girl. The girl sounds more like a less annoying Iris than Misty. Cross, on the other hand, is Gary through and through, apparently.
I was more making loose connections. They're not exact 1:1 copies, but they share similar parallels:

Brock/Soji: Skilled trainers (Gym Leader/Has a Lucario) who want to enter a Pokemon-related profession (Breeder/Professor) that doesn't involve battling but rather taking care and understanding Pokemon on a more interpersonal level.
Misty/Makoto: A young girl with boyish qualities and a dynamic personality who has an affinity for (at least one) Water-type and carries around one of their Pokemon like a baby.
Gary/Cross: A trainer also seeking to be a Pokemon Master like Ash but does so with a meaner attitude, especially towards Ash, and believes their Pokemon being physically/powerfully strong is key.

"His catchphrase is: Be advised that..."
Good lord, I hate this dude already.

Btw I'm just gonna leave this here...

The hat has been altered a little bit but the overall design is still pretty much the same. Would be interesting if this turns out to be something more than just an easter egg.

What I hate about the Pokemon series is that the plot regarding Ho-oh and Ash never resolved. Wasn't that amazing to see that there are still Pokemon that aren't discovered yet? Nope, they just repeated the same mistake with Zekrom and Suicune while Ash also did meet Suicune, I don't feel like either Ho-oh nor Suicune acknowledged ever meeting Ash.

I hope this movie does something and also first official Movie in which Ho-oh stars in and not a cameo by Mew.

Also isn't that old man the guy from the Pokemon League who has something to do with the holy flame of Moltres or Ho-oh?

Also isn't that old man the guy from the Pokemon League who has something to do with the holy flame of Moltres or Ho-oh?
Looks like him, but context matters. You're thinking of Mr. Goodshow, the Pokemon League's president. Well, we know this movie will cover the beginning of the series ( no way in hell they can shoehorn the entire Indigo League in ), so why dedicate screentime in the trailer for some minor supporting character with no relevance whatsoever at that point in the story?

And, most importantly, that's not how Mr. Goodshow wore his hat. That's all.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm watching an episode of XY right now because I'm bored and it's on.

God this show is patronizing. The voice acting in the dub isn't bad but the script is just... ugh. It treats its audience like they're morons (there's been like 5 separate info dumps in a row in this episode and a bunch of "captain obvious" statements) and does nothing to try appeal to anybody older than 10 or pretend it's anything but a giant commercial. Also, the villain of the week is named Dolan and that's super distracting.

Animation looks fine at least.

Even if sources claim the Pokémon anime is not dubbed by 4kids, it feels like it somehow is, mostly due to the dub's patronizing script. Karxrida has a valid point, and I can relate to it quite well when a real-life friend of mine tries to show me an episode of the dub, in addition to the recent Yu-Gi-Oh dubs. Does the Japanese version do this as well? I don't remember it back in Diamond and Pearl, but that series was the one good saga among the Pokémon anime.

No fucking wonder I prefer abridged series of anime over official dubs, especially Pokémon 'Bridged by 1KidsEntertainment.

The latest episode was a really letdown. I don't know, It didn't make much sense other than the sheer desire of introducing how menacing Palossand can be.

I want all of you to quote this from me the second the 20th movie premiers in Japan:

Ash is going to win the Pokemon League at the end

You're welcome :)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I want all of you to quote this from me the second the 20th movie premiers in Japan:

Ash is going to win the Pokemon League at the end

You're welcome :)
Why not, they're already changing so much they might as well have an alternate timeline Ash win the Indigo Leagu...

Alternate timeline... ALTERNATE TIMELINE! That's how this all fits together! Are they setting up some kind of alternate timeline Faller Ash?

Why not, they're already changing so much they might as well have an alternate timeline Ash win the Indigo Leagu...

Alternate timeline... ALTERNATE TIMELINE! That's how this all fits together! Are they setting up some kind of alternate timeline Faller Ash?
inb4, the guy with the hat is Ash, after winning the Indigo League and awakening from his coma.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Gladion will be making his appearance, though he owns a Midnight Lycanroc in the anime:

Some thoughts:
1. Being they already revealed their relation (and them diverging from the game's story), I wonder what Gladion's deal is going to be in the anime? Is he still working for Team Skull? In the pics it looks like he's having a plain conversation with Lillie and his Lycanroc is giving Ash's Rockruff a nice pat on the head (ominous as it looks).
2. Well, guessing Ash is going to evolve Rockruff to Midday, now that we may have his rival for Alola (and Hau doesn't look like he's making an appearance any time soon).
3. Not only does it look like he has Lycanroc in an Ultra Ball, it looks like it's using the Rock-type Z-Move, Continental Crush. So Gladion can use Z-Moves? I don't see his Z-Ring.
4. Why don't Gladion have a Midnight Lycanroc in the games? It's astonishingly how fitting it is for him. The color scheme (and clothing damage going along with Lycanroc's claws), wily hair, attitude, and Gladion's earrings sort of match Lycanroc Midday's "ribs".
5. So Lillie doesn't have Cosmog and Gladion doesn't have Type: Null, where are we going with this story, Pokemon Company? Are you just setting up things for Alola's second season which will start having a story (hopefully matching close to the games)?

Gladion will be making his appearance, though he owns a Midnight Lycanroc in the anime:

Some thoughts:
1. Being they already revealed their relation (and them diverging from the game's story), I wonder what Gladion's deal is going to be in the anime? Is he still working for Team Skull? In the pics it looks like he's having a plain conversation with Lillie and his Lycanroc is giving Ash's Rockruff a nice pat on the head (ominous as it looks).
2. Well, guessing Ash is going to evolve Rockruff to Midday, now that we may have his rival for Alola (and Hau doesn't look like he's making an appearance any time soon).
3. Not only does it look like he has Lycanroc in an Ultra Ball, it looks like it's using the Rock-type Z-Move, Continental Crush. So Gladion can use Z-Moves? I don't see his Z-Ring.
4. Why don't Gladion have a Midnight Lycanroc in the games? It's astonishingly how fitting it is for him. The color scheme (and clothing damage going along with Lycanroc's claws), wily hair, attitude, and Gladion's earrings sort of match Lycanroc Midday's "ribs".
5. So Lillie doesn't have Cosmog and Gladion doesn't have Type: Null, where are we going with this story, Pokemon Company? Are you just setting up things for Alola's second season which will start having a story (hopefully matching close to the games)?
1) I'm hoping he becomes an antagonistic rival to Ash, or at least is distant with everyone but Lillie because after XY we need someone that doesn't idolize Ash. Also because it might cause Alola to set up a league.
2) Or they'll have a special third form for Ash (which I don't want to see but eh). Midday is fine, would have preferred Midnight though.
3) In other picture as pointed out.
4) Probably to show off the different 'friendship' evolution Pokemon to show Gladion changed in the games. Do agree that Midnight would be perfect for him.
5) Lillie still has problems with touching Pokemon, can't exactly steal Nebby if one can't touch (unless they bring her spacesuit back from SM005).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
1) I'm hoping he becomes an antagonistic rival to Ash, or at least is distant with everyone but Lillie because after XY we need someone that doesn't idolize Ash. Also because it might cause Alola to set up a league.

2) Or they'll have a special third form for Ash (which I don't want to see but eh). Midday is fine, would have preferred Midnight though.

5) Lillie still has problems with touching Pokemon, can't exactly steal Nebby if one can't touch (unless they bring her spacesuit back from SM005).
1) I would like it if they followed the games as close as they could, but I'm crazy like that.

2) Ugh, don't even joke. But at the same time I can totally see them doing like a Twilight Form. Not sure what it would be, Midday is a normal wolf and Midnight is a werewolf so not sure what they can do. Something between? Maybe go Ultra Beast on it and make it a wolf made out of stone (or wearing stone armor, I imagine it looking like Necrozma (which is sort of appropriate as you find Rockruff at Ten Carat Hill)).

5) Well I was thinking by the point of the story where she would get Nebby either she'll be better at physically interacting with Pokemon or Nebby would be another special case like her Alolan Vulpix.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I see what you accidentally did there.

They are introducing Gladion surprisingly early in the anime IMO. I wonder if this is the sign of something...
Yeah, it's hard to use the word Twilight nowadays (which is a shame, it's a cool sounding word). Was hoping we could ignore those books/movies, even if the Pokemon in question does have a werewolf form. Was thinking of another name but decided, no, if the word Twilight fits it should be used and not sidelined because it was unfortunately linked with a popular but bad franchise.

Don't mind them having Gladion appear early. In the games they didn't have him show up early as they didn't want you to encounter him when your with Lillie, their relation supposed to be a twist (they also maybe wanted to better establish Team Skull before going into Gladion's deal with them). But the anime already revealed their relation so there's no point in not using him, would actually be nice to see more interaction between him and Lillie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)