GRAMMAR DOJO: see post #61

Add
Remove
(Comments)

Keldeo's unique Water / Fighting
- (Remove hyphen) typing allows it to check many common threats in the metagame, making it a great specially- (Remove hyphen) based attacker. This includes, but is not limited to Heatran, Landorus-T, Bisharp, Tyranitar, (AC) and Mega-Kangashkan Mega-Kangaskhan. Keldeo also sports a very high base 108 Speed stat and very strong base 129 Special Attack, allowing it to not only outspeed the aforementioned threats but kill eliminate them when holding a LO Life Orb, a rarity in this metagame. Keldeo's 91/90/90 defenses aren't that bad either, helping it take a neutral hit or two and retaliate back hard. It also has a few solid support options, including Icy Wind and Quick Guard. While all this makes Keldeo seem amazing, it does have its flaws. However, Keldeo's The Water-typing, (Add hyphen, AC) which gives Keldeo it such a large offensive precense presence also gives it a weakness to common Electric-types in the metagame, such as Rotom-W, (AC) and Thundurus-I. While its bulk isn't bad, it is not amazing either, this when coupled with Keldeo's reliance on its high Speed stat, (RC) leaves it vulnerable to Speed control. Also, since Keldeo has a very limited movepool, it is predictable and therefore easier to play around. However, play to Keldeo's strengths and it will be a great contribution to your team. (Fluffity fluff)

Last edited:
additions/changes
remove

Keldeo's unique Water / Fighting- typing allows it to check many common threats in the metagame, making it a great specially-based attacker. This including but is not limited to Heatran, Landorus-T, Bisharp, Tyranitar and Mega-Kangaskhan. Keldeo also sports a very high base 108 Speed stat and strong base 129 Special Attack, allowing it to not only outspeed the aforementioned threats but kill KO them when holding a LO, a rarity in this metagame. Keldeo's 91/90/90 defenses aren't that bad either, helping it take a neutral hit or two and retaliate hard. It also has a few solid support options, including Icy Wind and Quick Guard. While all this makes Keldeo seem amazing, it does have its flaws. The Water typing which gives Keldeo such a large offensive presence also gives it a weakness to common Electric-types in the metagame, such as Rotom-W and Thundurus-I. While its bulk is not bad, it is not amazing either, this which when coupled with Keldeo's reliance on its high Speed stat,(RC) leaves it vulnerable to Speed control. Also, since Keldeo has a very limited movepool, it is predictable and therefore easy to play around. However Nevertheless, if you play to Keldeo's strengths and it will be a great contribution to your team.

Remove
Add
Comments

Keldeo's unique Water / Fighting- (RH) typing allows it to check many common threats in the metagame, making it a great specially-based special attacker. This includes, but is not limited to, (AC) Heatran, Landorus-T, Bisharp, Tyranitar, (AC) and Mega-Kangashkan Mega Kangaskhan. Keldeo also sports a very high base 108 Speed stat and strong a massive base 129 Special Attack, allowing it to not only outspeed the aforementioned threats but kill also KO them when holding a LO equipped with a Life Orb. (AP) , (RC) a rarity in this metagame. Keldeo's 91/90/90 91 / 90 / 90 defenses Defenses aren't that bad either, helping it take a neutral hit or two and retaliate hard back with a powerful attack. It also has a few solid support options, including such as Icy Wind and Quick Guard. While all this makes Keldeo seem amazing, it does have its flaws. The Water typing which gives Keldeo such a large offensive precense presence also gives it a weakness to common Electric-types in the metagame, (RC) such as Rotom-W and Thundurus-I Thundurus. While its bulk isn't bad, it is not amazing either, this and when coupled with Keldeo's reliance on its high Speed stat, leaves it is left vulnerable to Speed many forms of speed control. Also, since Keldeo also has a very limited movepool, it is making it predictable and therefore easier to play around. However, play to Keldeo's strengths and it will be a great contribution to your team. (These sentences tend to be a bad filler and don't add anything to the paragraph. If you'd like to add a conclusion, make sure it actually contributes something)

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Well this should be fun, let's give it a shot
remove
add

(comments)
Keldeo's unique Water / Fighting- (remove hyphen) typing allows it to check many common threats in the metagame, making it a great specially-based special attacker. This These includes, (congruention) but is not limited to among others, Heatran, Landorus-T, Bisharp, Tyranitar, (add comma) and Mega- (remove hyphen) Kangashkhan. Keldeo also sports a very (fluff) high base 108 Speed stat and strong an excellent (contamination) base 129 Special Attack, allowing it to not only outspeed the aforementioned threats but kill KO them when holding a Life Orb, a rarity in this metagame. Keldeo's 91/90/90 defenses aren't that bad either, helping it take a neutral hit or two and retaliate hard (fluff+its defenses are not what makes it hit hard, that would be its SpA). It also has a few solid support options, including such as Icy Wind and Quick Guard. While all this makes Keldeo seem amazing, it does have its flaws. For instance, (better flow) the Water typing which gives Keldeo such a large offensive precsense also gives it a weakness to common Electric-types in the metagame (superfluous), such as Rotom-W and Thundurus-I. While its bulk isn't bad, it is not amazing either,; (remove comma, add semicolon) this, (add comma) when coupled with Keldeo's reliance on its high Speed stat, leaves it vulnerable to Speed control. Also, since Keldeo has a very limited movepool, it is predictable and therefore easier to play around. However, play to Keldeo's strengths and it will be a great contribution to your team (fluff)

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Add
Remove
Comments

Keldeo's unique Water / Fighting
- typing allows it to check many common threats in the metagame, making it a great specially-based attacker this doesn't necessary correlate but it is technically correct. This includes, but is not limited to Heatran, Landorus-T, Bisharp, Tyranitar,(AC) and Mega-Kangashkan. Keldeo also sports a very high base 108 Speed stat and strong base 129 Special Attack, allowing it to not only outspeed the aforementioned threats,(AC) but kill them when holding a Life Orb, a rarity in this metagame. Keldeo's 91/90/90 add spaces between slashes defenses aren't that bad either, helping allowing it to take a neutral hit or two and retaliate back hard. It also has a few solid support options, including Icy Wind and Quick Guard. While all this makes Keldeo seem amazing, it does have its flaws. The While its Water typing which gives Keldeo such a large good offensive precense presence also gives it a weakness to common Electric-types in the metagame, such as Rotom-W and Thundurus-I. While its bulk isn't bad, it is not amazing either,. This when coupled with Keldeo's reliance on its high Speed stat,(RC) leaves it vulnerable to Speed control. Also, since Keldeo has a very limited movepool it's not too bad, it is predictable and therefore easier to play around. However, play to Keldeo's strengths and it will be a great contribution to your team. Why do people do this. It adds nothing to the analysis and it's just fluff. Either come up with a sentence that adds something or remove it entirely.

For future reference, you should probably add whether it is doubles or singles.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As Calm Pokemaster has taken ill, I'll be providing the answers! For this paragraph, I wanted to try and more subtley mess up the grammar rather than just slandering it with errors left and right. With that as well, I wanted to put in specific errors I've seen people making over the course of some weeks! Before I messed this one up, CP and I found a paragraph we thought was just about perfect already on site. It's interesting to see what some of you thought was "wrong" with the original paragraph that I didn't even touch! But that's ok; everything can be improved.

Keldeo's unique Water / Fighting- typing allows it to check many common threats in the metagame, making it a great specially-based attacker. This includes, but is not limited to Heatran, Landorus-T, Bisharp, Tyranitar and Mega-Kangashkan. Keldeo also sports a very high base 108 Speed stat and strong base 129 Special Attack, allowing it to not only outspeed the aforementioned threats but kill them when holding a LO, a rarity in this metagame. Keldeo's base 91/90/90 defenses aren't that bad either, helping it take a neutral hit or two and retaliate hard. It also has a few solid support options, including Icy Wind and Quick Guard. While all this makes Keldeo seem amazing, it does have its flaws. The Water typing which gives Keldeo such a large offensive precense also gives it a weakness to common Electric-types in the metagame, such as Rotom-W and Thundurus-I. While its bulk isn't bad, it is not amazing either, whichwhen coupled with Keldeo's reliance on its high Speed stat, leaves it vulnerable to Speed control. Also, since Keldeo has a very limited movepool, it is predictable and therefore easier to play around. However, play to Keldeo's strengths and it will be a great contribution to your team.
Keldeo's unique Water / Fighting- typing allows it to check many common threats in the metagame, making it a great specially based attacker. This includes, but is not limited to, (AC) Heatran, Landorus-T, Bisharp, Tyranitar, (AC) and Mega Kangashkan. Keldeo also sports a very high base 108 Speed stat and strong base 129 Special Attack, allowing it to not only outspeed the aforementioned threats but kill KO them when holding a Life Orb LO, a rarity in this metagame. Keldeo's base 91 / 90 / 90 defenses aren't that bad either, helping it take a neutral hit or two and retaliate hard. It also has a few solid support options, including Icy Wind and Quick Guard. While all this makes Keldeo seem amazing, it does have its flaws. The Water typing which gives Keldeo such a large offensive presence also gives it a weakness to common Electric-types in the metagame, such as Rotom-W and Thundurus-I. While its bulk isn't bad, it is not amazing either, which, (AC) when coupled with Keldeo's reliance on its high Speed stat, leaves it vulnerable to speed control. Also, since because Keldeo has a very limited movepool, it is predictable and therefore easier to play around. However, play to Keldeo's strengths and it will be a great contribution to your team.
Keldeo's unique Water / Fighting typing allows it to check many common threats in the metagame, making it a great specially based attacker. This includes, but is not limited to, Heatran, Landorus-T, Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Mega Kangashkan. Keldeo also sports a very high base 108 Speed and strong base 129 Special Attack, allowing it to not only outspeed the aforementioned threats but OHKO them when holding a Life Orb, a rarity in this metagame. Keldeo's base 91 / 90 / 90 defenses aren't that bad either, helping it take a neutral hit or two and retaliate hard. It also has a few solid support options, including Icy Wind and Quick Guard. While all this makes Keldeo seem amazing, it does have its flaws. The Water typing which gives Keldeo such a large offensive presence also gives it a weakness to common Electric-types in the metagame, such as Rotom-W and Thundurus. While its bulk isn't bad, it is not amazing either, which, when coupled with Keldeo's reliance on its high Speed stat, leaves it vulnerable to speed control. Also, because Keldeo has a very limited movepool, it is predictable and therefore easier to play around.
1. Hyphens should not be used when a typing is set up as X / Y typing, or when the word "typing" is used at all for that matter!
2. "specially" is an adverb, meaning it directly modifies "based". A hyphen between two words makes it a compound adjective; a term that describes something else. However, because the first word describes the second here, it's not a compound adjective. That's the official reasoning behind it, which applies to non-adverbs as well, but also know that any adverb (ending in "ly") will never have a hyphen to make it a compound adjective.
3. This comma is difficult to describe, but basically, if you start to close of a bit of a sentence with a comma, you have to continue with that clause. Either no commas or two, no going halfway!
4. Serial commas for lists!
5. Mega Pokemon are described as "Mega [Pokemon's name]", not anything else. This goes for "Mega Charizard X", too!
6. Pokemon aren't killed, they're KOed or fainted
7. Abbreviations for things like "LO" instead of "Life Orb" aren't to be used. Technically, it would be "an LO," too!
8. Spaces are to be used between slashes when talking about EVs or stats, but not when saying something like and/or.
9. Simple misspelling of "presence"!
10. Thundurus's normal forme is called "Thundurus," not "Thundurus-I".
11. Same as #3, but this time the missing comma is at the start of the clause.
12. "speed control" refers to the order in which Pokemon in Doubles or VGC move. "Attack control" is about controlling the opponent's Attack stat, and "attack control" is using something like Follow Me or Rage Powder to influence where attacks land.
13. "Since" refers to time only...like "Since the ban of Gengarite". "As" or "because" are for these instances. I've noticed people talk like this normally--cut it out! You can't GP correctly if you don't talk incorrectly :)
14. This sentence is just fluff and adds nothing. Anything if played to its strengths or with its counters remove will be a great contribution to a team, even if it's...bidoof or something. I noticed many also removed the sentence "While all this makes Keldeo seem amazing, it does have its flaws." In my opinion, I think this sentence is OK, because it serves as a nice transition between the good and bad points of Keldeo. A sentence like "However, it's not all sunshine and rainbows for Keldeo" is just fluff! Use your judgement when these sentences aren't necessary, but don't remove them if they would kill the phrasing of the paragraph.

Unfortunately, I don't have a new paragraph for you all yet, but just sit tight and we'll get one soon enough. Good work!

As Calm Pokemaster has taken ill, I'll be providing the answers! For this paragraph, I wanted to try and more subtley mess up the grammar rather than just slandering it with errors left and right. With that as well, I wanted to put in specific errors I've seen people making over the course of some weeks! Before I messed this one up, CP and I found a paragraph we thought was just about perfect already on site. It's interesting to see what some of you thought was "wrong" with the original paragraph that I didn't even touch! But that's ok; everything can be improved.

Keldeo's unique Water / Fighting- typing allows it to check many common threats in the metagame, making it a great specially-based attacker. This includes, but is not limited to Heatran, Landorus-T, Bisharp, Tyranitar and Mega-Kangashkan. Keldeo also sports a very high base 108 Speed stat and strong base 129 Special Attack, allowing it to not only outspeed the aforementioned threats but kill them when holding a LO, a rarity in this metagame. Keldeo's base 91/90/90 defenses aren't that bad either, helping it take a neutral hit or two and retaliate hard. It also has a few solid support options, including Icy Wind and Quick Guard. While all this makes Keldeo seem amazing, it does have its flaws. The Water typing which gives Keldeo such a large offensive precense also gives it a weakness to common Electric-types in the metagame, such as Rotom-W and Thundurus-I. While its bulk isn't bad, it is not amazing either, whichwhen coupled with Keldeo's reliance on its high Speed stat, leaves it vulnerable to Speed control. Also, since Keldeo has a very limited movepool, it is predictable and therefore easier to play around. However, play to Keldeo's strengths and it will be a great contribution to your team.
Keldeo's unique Water / Fighting- typing allows it to check many common threats in the metagame, making it a great specially based attacker. This includes, but is not limited to, (AC) Heatran, Landorus-T, Bisharp, Tyranitar, (AC) and Mega Kangashkan. Keldeo also sports a very high base 108 Speed stat and strong base 129 Special Attack, allowing it to not only outspeed the aforementioned threats but kill KO them when holding a Life Orb LO, a rarity in this metagame. Keldeo's base 91 / 90 / 90 defenses aren't that bad either, helping it take a neutral hit or two and retaliate hard. It also has a few solid support options, including Icy Wind and Quick Guard. While all this makes Keldeo seem amazing, it does have its flaws. The Water typing which gives Keldeo such a large offensive presence also gives it a weakness to common Electric-types in the metagame, such as Rotom-W and Thundurus-I. While its bulk isn't bad, it is not amazing either, which, (AC) when coupled with Keldeo's reliance on its high Speed stat, leaves it vulnerable to speed control. Also, since because Keldeo has a very limited movepool, it is predictable and therefore easier to play around. However, play to Keldeo's strengths and it will be a great contribution to your team.
Keldeo's unique Water / Fighting typing allows it to check many common threats in the metagame, making it a great specially based attacker. This includes, but is not limited to, Heatran, Landorus-T, Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Mega Kangashkan. Keldeo also sports a very high base 108 Speed and strong base 129 Special Attack, allowing it to not only outspeed the aforementioned threats but OHKO them when holding a Life Orb, a rarity in this metagame. Keldeo's base 91 / 90 / 90 defenses aren't that bad either, helping it take a neutral hit or two and retaliate hard. It also has a few solid support options, including Icy Wind and Quick Guard. While all this makes Keldeo seem amazing, it does have its flaws. The Water typing which gives Keldeo such a large offensive presence also gives it a weakness to common Electric-types in the metagame, such as Rotom-W and Thundurus. While its bulk isn't bad, it is not amazing either, which, when coupled with Keldeo's reliance on its high Speed stat, leaves it vulnerable to speed control. Also, because Keldeo has a very limited movepool, it is predictable and therefore easier to play around.
1. Hyphens should not be used when a typing is set up as X / Y typing, or when the word "typing" is used at all for that matter!
2. "specially" is an adverb, meaning it directly modifies "based". A hyphen between two words makes it a compound adjective; a term that describes something else. However, because the first word describes the second here, it's not a compound adjective. That's the official reasoning behind it, which applies to non-adverbs as well, but also know that any adverb (ending in "ly") will never have a hyphen to make it a compound adjective.
3. This comma is difficult to describe, but basically, if you start to close of a bit of a sentence with a comma, you have to continue with that clause. Either no commas or two, no going halfway!
4. Serial commas for lists!
5. Mega Pokemon are described as "Mega [Pokemon's name]", not anything else. This goes for "Mega Charizard X", too!
6. Pokemon aren't killed, they're KOed or fainted
7. Abbreviations for things like "LO" instead of "Life Orb" aren't to be used. Technically, it would be "an LO," too!
8. Spaces are to be used between slashes when talking about EVs or stats, but not when saying something like and/or.
9. Simple misspelling of "presence"!
10. Thundurus's normal forme is called "Thundurus," not "Thundurus-I".
11. Same as #3, but this time the missing comma is at the start of the clause.
12. "speed control" refers to the order in which Pokemon in Doubles or VGC move. "Attack control" is about controlling the opponent's Attack stat, and "attack control" is using something like Follow Me or Rage Powder to influence where attacks land.
13. "Since" refers to time only...like "Since the ban of Gengarite". "As" or "because" are for these instances. I've noticed people talk like this normally--cut it out! You can't GP correctly if you don't talk incorrectly :)
14. This sentence is just fluff and adds nothing. Anything if played to its strengths or with its counters remove will be a great contribution to a team, even if it's...bidoof or something. I noticed many also removed the sentence "While all this makes Keldeo seem amazing, it does have its flaws." In my opinion, I think this sentence is OK, because it serves as a nice transition between the good and bad points of Keldeo. A sentence like "However, it's not all sunshine and rainbows for Keldeo" is just fluff! Use your judgement when these sentences aren't necessary, but don't remove them if they would kill the phrasing of the paragraph.

Unfortunately, I don't have a new paragraph for you all yet, but just sit tight and we'll get one soon enough. Good work!
Pretty sure this wasn't intended but "Mega Kangaskhan" was misspelled in both the mark-up and the Copy / Paste.

Anyway, here's your next paragraph... for reference, it is from a(n old) singles analysis.

The inability of this set to switch its moves makes Ghost-types like Chandelure potent counters, particularly with Hi Jump Kick's dumb side effect. Thus, team support is all the more determining to Mienshao's success. Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Scizor are great partners, as they can trap and eliminate the Ghost and Psychic-types which act as roadblocks to Mienshao's sweep. Additionally, Tyranitar can setup Stealth Rock, enabling Mienshao to hold the OHKO with Gliscor with Hidden Power Ice. Bulky physical walls such as Skarmory can take a Hi Jump Kick and stall for a miss with Roost, meaning wall breakers such as Salamence pair well seamlessly with Mienshao. Dragon-types in particularly make good partners for this set, as they can take advantage of having the opponent's Steel-types taken out and sweep with Outrage. Finally, entry hazards support is also excessively useful, as they limit switching and weakens walls into Mienshao's KO range. Good candidates for this role include Forretress and Ferrothorn, that can take hits well with their outrageous bulk, as well as Deoxys-S, if you are using Mienshao on an offensive team.

Don't forget: though it's from an old analysis, you're supposed to GP it to our current standards ;)

Remove
Add
Comments

The inability of this set to switch its moves on this set makes Ghost-types like such as Chandelure potent counters, particularly with Hi Jump Kick's dumb damaging side effect. Thus, team support is all the more determining to Mienshao's success. As such, Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Scizor are great partners, as they can trap and eliminate the Ghost Ghost- and Psychic-types which act as roadblocks to Mienshao's a Mienshao sweep. Additionally, Tyranitar can setup set up Stealth Rock, enabling Mienshao to hold the OHKO with Gliscor with Hidden Power Ice. Bulky physical walls such as Skarmory can take a Hi Jump Kick and stall for a miss with Roost, meaning wall breakers wallbreakers such as Salamence pair well seamlessly with Mienshao. Dragon-types in particularly make good partners for this set, as they can take advantage of having Mienshao's ability to remove the opponent's Steel-types taken out and sweep with Outrage. Finally, entry hazards hazard support is also excessively extremely useful, as they limit it limits the opponent's switching and weakens walls into Mienshao's KO range. Good candidates for this role include Forretress and Ferrothorn for more defensive teams, (RC) that can take hits well with their outrageous bulk, (RC) as well as and Deoxys-S, (RC) if you are using Mienshao on an more offensive team teams.

Last edited:
Add
Remove
(Comments)

The inability
of this set to switch its moves makes Ghost-types like Chandelure a potent counters, particularly with Hi Jump Kick's dumb risky side effect. Thus, team support is all the more determining to Mienshao's success. (Unnecessary fluff) Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Scizor are great partners, as they can trap and eliminate the Ghost and Psychic-types which act as roadblocks a block to Mienshao's sweep. Additionally, Tyranitar can setup Stealth Rock, enabling Mienshao to hold the OHKO with Gliscor with Hidden Power Ice. Bulky physical walls such as Skarmory can take a Hi Jump Kick and stall for a miss with Roost, meaning wall breakers such as Salamence pair well seamlessly with Mienshao. Dragon-types in particularly make good partners for this set, as they can take advantage of having the opponent's Steel-types taken out and sweep with Outrage. Finally, entry hazards support is also excessively useful, as they limit switching and can weakens walls into Mienshao's KO range. Good candidates for this role include Forretress and Ferrothorn, that who can take hits well with their outrageous bulk, as well as Deoxys-S, if you are using who works well with Mienshao on an offensive team.

400 posts ^.^

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
getting into shape for amchecking shaymin
remove
add
comments

The inability of this set to switch its moves on this set makes Ghost-types like such as Chandelure potent counters, particularly with High Jump Kick's dumb damaging side effect. Thus, team support is all the more determining to Mienshao's success. (fluff) Therefore, Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Scizor are great partners, as they can trap and eliminate the Ghost- (add hyphen) and Psychic-types which act as roadblocks to Mienshao's sweep. Additionally, Tyranitar can set up (two words) Stealth Rock, enabling Mienshao to hold the OHKO with (awkward phrasing) Gliscor with Hidden Power Ice. Bulky physical walls such as Skarmory can take a High Jump Kick and stall for a miss with Roost, meaning wallbreakers (one word) such as Salamence pair well seamlessly (tautology) with Mienshao. Dragon-types in particularly make good partners for this set, as they can take advantage of having the opponent's Steel-types taken out and sweep with Outrage. Finally, entry hazards support is also excessively very (there's no such thing as too useful lol) useful, as they it limits (didn't correspond properly with subject) switching and weakens walls into Mienshao's KO range. Good candidates for this role include Forretress and Ferrothorn, that as they can take hits well with their outrageous bulk, as well as Deoxys-S, if you are using Mienshao on an offensive team.

amcheck =)
AddRemove – Comment

The inability of this set to switch its moves on this set makes Ghost-types likesuch as Chandelure potent counters, particularly with Hi Jump Kick's dumb side effect. T; thus, team support is all the more determiningcrucial to Mienshao's success. Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Scizor are great partners, as they can trap and eliminate the Ghost- and Psychic-types which act asre roadblocks to Mienshao's sweep. Additionally, Tyranitar can setup Stealth Rock, enabling Mienshao to hold the OHKO with Gliscor with Hidden Power Ice. Bulky physical walls such as Skarmory can take a Hi Jump Kick and stall for a miss with Roost, meanaking wall breakers such as Salamence pair well seamlessly with Mienshao. Dragon-types in particularly make good partners for this set, as they can take advantage of having the opponent's Steel-types tbeing weaken out anded; enabling them to sweep with Outrage. Finally, entry hazards support is also excessivtremely useful, as they limit switching and helps weakens walls to the pointo where Mienshao's can KO range. Good candidates for this role include Forretress and Ferrothorn, both Pokemon that can take hits well with their outrageous bulk, as well as Deoxys-S, if you are using Mienshao on an offensive team.

The inability of this set to switch its moves makes Ghost-types like Chandelure potent counters, particularly with Hi Jump Kick's dumb side effect. Thus, team support is all the more determining to Mienshao's success. Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Scizor are great partners, as they can trap and eliminate the Ghost and Psychic-types which act as roadblocks to Mienshao's sweep. Additionally, Tyranitar can setup Stealth Rock, enabling Mienshao to hold the OHKO with Gliscor with Hidden Power Ice. Bulky physical walls such as Skarmory can take a Hi Jump Kick and stall for a miss with Roost, meaning wall breakers such as Salamence pair well seamlessly with Mienshao. Dragon-types in particularly make good partners for this set, as they can take advantage of having the opponent's Steel-types taken out and sweep with Outrage. Finally, entry hazards support is also excessively useful, as they limit switching and weakens walls into Mienshao's KO range. Good candidates for this role include Forretress and Ferrothorn, that can take hits well with their outrageous bulk, as well as Deoxys-S, if you are using Mienshao on an offensive team.

The inability of this set to switch its moves on this set (1) makes Ghost-types like such as Chandelure potent counters, particularly with High Jump Kick's dumb hazardous side effect (2). Thus, team support is all the more determining crucial (3) to Mienshao's success. Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Scizor are great partners, as they can trap and eliminate the Ghost- and Psychic-types which that (4) act as roadblocks to Mienshao's sweep. Additionally, Tyranitar can set up Stealth Rock, enabling Mienshao to hold net (5) the OHKO with Gliscor with Hidden Power Ice. Bulky physical walls such as Skarmory can take a High Jump Kick and stall for a miss with Roost, meaning wallbreakers such as Salamence pair well seamlessly (6) with Mienshao. Dragon-types in particularly general (7) make good partners for this set, as they can take advantage of having the opponent's Steel-types taken out and sweep with Outrage once Mienshao can sufficiently weakened or taken out opposing Steel-types (8). Finally, entry hazard support is also excessively highly (9) useful, as they it limits (10) switching and weakens walls into Mienshao's KO range. Good candidates for this role include Forretress and Ferrothorn, that which (11) can take hits well with their outrageous excellent (12) bulk, as well as Deoxys-S, if you are using Mienshao on an offensive team.

The inability to switch moves on this set makes Ghost-types such as Chandelure potent counters, particularly with High Jump Kick's hazardous side effect. Thus, team support is all the more crucial to Mienshao's success. Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Scizor are great partners, as they can trap and eliminate the Ghost- and Psychic-types that act as roadblocks to Mienshao's sweep. Additionally, Tyranitar can set up Stealth Rock, enabling Mienshao to net the OHKO with Gliscor with Hidden Power Ice. Bulky physical walls such as Skarmory can take a High Jump Kick and stall for a miss with Roost, meaning wallbreakers such as Salamence pair well with Mienshao. Dragon-types in general make good partners for this set, as they can sweep with Outrage once Mienshao can sufficiently weakened or taken out opposing Steel-types. Finally, entry hazard support is also highly useful, as it limits switching and weakens walls into Mienshao's KO range. Good candidates for this role include Forretress and Ferrothorn, which can take hits well with their excellent bulk, as well as Deoxys-S, if you are using Mienshao on an offensive team.

1. A 'set' cannot switch moves. I know we often do this, but it's technically wrong to talk about the ability / inability of a 'set', though we often refer to a Pokemon as a 'set' (e.g., "The Nasty Plot set can't get past Blissey"). As such, it's generally better to avoid phrases like this; here, 'inability of this set to switch its moves' is clearly wrong, and I thus changed it to "inability to switch moves on this set". However, in cases like the Blissey example I mentioned, it's better to consider whether changing it makes it sound worse.
  2. Three things here. First, 'like' --> 'such as' because you're providing an example of a Ghost-type here. Second, it's 'High Jump Kick' now, even though this is from an old analysis. Lastly, 'dumb side effect' is too informal. You should call it a 'hazardous', 'deadly', or 'unpleasant' side effect instead, as these terms are more formal.
  3. 'determining' is a weird word choice here. It's obviously an adjective, but it's a rather vague one at that. 'crucial' is far more better and to the point. Word choices like these can be important too, it's not just about the grammar and prose!
  4. It's 'Ghost-' (notice the missing hyphen?). 'which' --> 'that', because it's a restrictive clause here. You only use 'which' to set off a non-restrictive clause. Check out this link for more info.
  5. The verb form is 'set up', not 'setup'. Also, a Pokemon doesn't 'hold' a KO; it 'nets' or 'gets' one.
  6. Again, 'Hi' --> 'High'. According to our Spelling and Grammar standards, 'wallbreaker' is one word. Lastly, 'seamlessly' is redundant with 'well'; the technical term for this error is 'tautology', as TDP points out in his post, but let's not worry ourselves with all that now :3
  7. We're not talking about a particular case here ('in particularly' is obviously horrible). We had discussed about a particular case in the previous sentence (i.e., 'Salamence'), and now we're generalizing about all Dragon-types.
  8. Messy prose here. Shifting the stuff about 'Steel-types' to the end of the sentence makes the prose flow better. Run it through in your head: when can Dragon-types sweep? After Mienshao takes out Steel-types.
  9. We call it 'entry hazard support', not 'hazards support'. An exception to removing the 's' would be with 'dual screens support', because we simply call it dual screens. Secondly, nothing is 'excessively' useful; this is just a poor word choice. 'very' or 'really' or 'highly' works just fine.
  10. Subject-verb disagreement here. The entry hazard 'support' is useful, so it's supposed to be singular here: hence, 'it limits'.
  11. Opposite of #4 . It's a non-restrictive clause here (even if you remove the "which can take hits ... superb bulk, ... " part, the rest of the sentence would be grammatically correct), so 'that' --> 'which'.
  12. An example of hyperbole. Their bulk isn't 'outrageous', it's 'superb' or 'excellent' or the like.

As always, you folks get a day or so to have your doubts clarified. Have fun going through the explanations ^_^

Lumari

empty spaces
TFP Leader
Calm Pokemaster Question about the which vs. that thing: does this mean 'which'-clauses are always put between commas, and 'that'-clauses are never put between commas? (iirc, that's a rule for nonrestrictive and restrictive clauses resp. in my native language, but I don't know if this also applies to English)

Here's your next paragraph:

Kyurem's Dragon/Ice typing provides a decent defensive typing, resisting Grass-, Water-, and Electric- type attacks. It also has decent offensive coverage, only being resisted by Steel- types. Kyurem has Earth Power to take care of the Steel- types that tend to tank its STAB moves. It's typing on the defensive side, with its 125/90/90 bulk, means it can take hits, while its 130/130 offenses means it isn't a sitting duck. This allows its ability, Pressure, to shine as it means it can also effectively stall super-effective attacks, such as Stone Edge or Close Combat, from threats. Kyurem has reliable recovery which adds to its ability to Pressure stall. It is also the only pokemon in UU with the ability to use Pressure effectively and be offensively ready right off the bat. However, Kyurem does have its flaws that don't allow it to be a top tier threat. It has a hard time getting around special walls, such as Blissey, Umbreon, and Snorlax. It has to run a not commonly seen move on Kyurem: Focus Blast. However, with this, it still cannot get past Blissey or Florges, another Kyurem stop. Also as an offensive beast, it is stuck at the 95 speed tier. This speed tier seems awesome but there are many threats that can put a stop to Kyurem such as Hydreigon, Infernape, or Mienshao. Each one of these have a STAB move that can outright OHKO Kyurem.

I need to do this more often n_n

Kyurem's decent Dragon / Ice add spaces typing provides a decent defensive typing, resistingkey resistances to Grass-, Water-, and Electric-typespacing attacks. It also hasgrants it decent offensive coverage, only being resisted by Steel-typesspacing. Kyurem also has access to Earth Power to hitake care of the Steel-types that tend to tank its STAB moves. It's typing on the defensive side, with its 125/90/90 bulk, means it can takeresist its STAB moves super effectively. Kyurem's typing and good 125/90/90 bulk mean it has no problem taking hits, while its 130/130 offenses means it isn't a sitting duck. This allows iIts ability, Pressure, to shine as it means it can also effectively stall super-effective attacks, such as Stone Edge or Close Combat, from threats. Kyurem has reliable recovery which adds to its ability to Pressure stall. It is also the only pokemon in UU with the ability to use Pressure effectively and be offensively ready right off the bat.good defensive stats, and access to reliable recovery in Roost, allow it to effectively stall out super effective attacks woth low PP, such as Stone Edge or Close Combat. all fluff However, Kyurem does have its flaws that don't allow it to beprevent it from being a top tier threat. It has a hard time getting around special walls, such as Blissey, Florges, Umbreon, and Snorlax. It has to run a not commonly seen move on Kyurem: Focus Blast. However, with this, it still cannot get past Blissey or Florges, another Kyurem stop. Also as an offensive beast, it is stuck at the 95 speed tier. This speed tier seems awesome but there are many threats that can put a stop to Kyurem, the former two even winning should Kyurem opt to run Focus Blast. Also, it has a mediocre 95 speed tier, meaning many faster threats can outspeed and KO it, such as Hydreigon, Infernape, or Mienshao. Each one of these have a STAB move that can outright OHKO Kyurem.
Kyurem's decent Dragon / Ice typing provides key resistances to Grass-, Water-, and Electric-type attacks. It also grants it decent offensive coverage, only being resisted by Steel-types. Kyurem also has access to Earth Power to hit the Steel-types that resist its STAB moves super effectively. Kyurem's typing and good 125/90/90 bulk mean it has no problem taking hits, while its 130/130 offenses mean it isn't a sitting duck. Its ability Pressure, good defensive stats, and access to reliable recovery in Roost, allow it to effectively stall out super effective attacks woth low PP, such as Stone Edge or Close Combat. However, Kyurem does have its flaws that prevent it from being a top tier threat. It has a hard time getting around special walls, such as Blissey, Florges, Umbreon, and Snorlax, the former two even winning should Kyurem opt to run Focus Blast. Also, it has a mediocre 95 speed tier, meaning many faster threats can outspeed and KO it, such as Hydreigon, Infernape, or Mienshao.

Remove
Add
Comments

Kyurem's Dragon/Ice typing Kyurem provides a decent defensive typing, resisting Grass-, Water-, and Electric- type Electric-type attacks. It also has decent offensive coverage, only being resisted by Steel- types. Kyurem has with Earth Power to take taking care of the Steel- types Steel-types that tend to tank resist its STAB moves. It's typing on the defensive side, (RC) with its 125/90/90 Its 125 / 90 / 90 bulk, (RC) means it can take hits with relative ease, while its 130/130 130 / 130 offenses means offensive stats mean it isn't a sitting duck, (AC) either. This These defensive traits allows its ability, Pressure, to shine as it means it can also effectively stall super-effective super effective attacks, such as Stone Edge or and Close Combat, from threats. (Please list those threats) Kyurem also has reliable recovery in Roost, (AC) which adds to its ability to Pressure stall. It is also This makes Kyurem the only pokemon Pokemon in UU with the ability to use Pressure effectively and be offensively ready threatening right off the bat. However, Kyurem does have its flaws that don't allow it to be a top tier threat. (RP) It has a hard time getting around special walls, such as Blissey, Florges, Umbreon, and Snorlax, (AC) . (RP) It has to run a not commonly seen move on Kyurem: and has to run an uncommon move in Focus Blast in order to get around the latter two. However, even with this Focus Blast, it still cannot get past Blissey or Florges, (RC) another Kyurem stop. Also, (AC) while Kyurem has great as an offensive beast stats, it is stuck at the still only has 95 speed tier Speed, (AC) . (RP) This speed tier seems awesome but there are many leaving it vulnerable to faster threats that can put a stop to Kyurem such as Hydreigon, Infernape, or and Mienshao, (AC) . (RP) Each one of these have a STAB move that all of which can outright OHKO Kyurem.

(More of a QC thing, but isn't Kyurem's hazard weakness a big part of why it isn't as good as it could be? If it is, you may want to mention that somewhere.)

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Add
Remove
Comments

Kyurem's Dragon/Ice
(add spaces between the slashes) typing provides is a decent defensively Ice is a bad defensive typing as it is weak to Stealth Rock as well as Fighting- and Steel-type moves. You should PM a QC member about this typing, as it resists resisting Grass-, Water-, and Electric-(remove space)type attacks. It also has decent offensive coverage, as it is only being resisted by Steel-(remove space)types. Kyurem has Earth Power to take care of the Steel-(remove space)types that tend to tank its STAB moves. It's typing on the defensive alongside, with its 125/90/90 Add spaces between slashes defenses bulk,(RC) 125 / 90 / 90 are stats, not bulk. They simply translate into bulk means it can take hits fairly well, while its 130/130 Add spaces between slashes offenses means it isn't a sitting duck. This allows its ability, Pressure, to shine as it means it can also Pressure has one effect effectively stall super-(RH)effective attacks,(RC) such as Stone Edge or Close Combat, from threats Fluff. Kyurem has reliable recovery which adds to its ability to Pressure stall. It is also the only Pokemon in UU with the ability to that can use Pressure effectively and be offensively ready right off the bat This sounds a bit strange. However, Kyurem does have its flaws that don't allow it to be a top tier threat. It has a hard time getting around special walls,(RC) such as Blissey, Umbreon, and Snorlax. It has to run a not commonly seen move on Kyurem: a very unreliable move in the form of Focus Blast to be able to get past them If it isn't common, why are you mentioning it. However, even with Focus Blast this, it still cannot get past Blissey or Florges, another Kyurem stop. Also,(AC) though it is as an offensive beast, it is stuck at the 95 Speed tier. This speed tier seems awesome at a glance, but there are many threats that can put a stop to Kyurem such as Hydreigon, Infernape, or and Mienshao. Each one of these have a STAB move that can outright OHKO Kyurem.

add, remove, C/capitalization, comments
Kyurem's decent Dragon/Ice typing provides a decent it good bulk defensive typing, resisting Grass-, Water-, and Electric-[spacing]type attacks. It also has decent good offensive coverage, only being resisted only by Steel-[spacing]types. To it's advantage, Kyurem has access to Earth Power to take care of the Steel-[spacing]types Pokemon who that tend to tank its STAB moves. It[apostrophe]s typing on the defensive capabilities side, with notably its 125/90/90 bulk[RC] means it can take hits, while its 130/130 offenses means ensures that it is able to isn't a sitting duck penetrate lots of less bulky walls. This also means allows its ability, Pressure, to shine as it means it can also can come into play, effectively stalling super-effective attacks[RC] such as Stone Edge or and Close Combat, from threats. Kyurem has as it also has reliable recovery which adds to its the ability to Pressure stall. It is also the only Pokemon in UU with the ability to use Pressure effectively and be offensively ready right off the bat. However, Kyurem does have its flaws that don't allow it to be a top tier threat. It has a hard time getting around special walls[RC] such as Blissey, Umbreon, and Snorlax. as it has to run a not commonly seen move on Kyurem: has to necessarily run Focus Blast for those Pokemon only. However[RC] even with this that, it still cannot get past Blissey or Florges, another Kyurem stop which is also a threat. Also Another disadvantage is that, as an offensive beast, it is stuck at the 95 Speed tier. This speed tier seems awesome A base 95 Speed is good on paper, but there are many threats that can put a stop to Kyurem such as Hydreigon, Infernape, or and Mienshao. Each one of these have a STAB move that can outright OHKO Kyurem.

Kyurem's Dragon / Ice typing provides a decent defensive typing,useful resistingances to Grass-, Water-, and Electric- type attacks. It also ha, and offers decent neutral offensive coverage, with its STABs only being resisted by Steel- types. Kyurem has access to Earth Power as a coverage move to take care of the Steel- types that tend tocan otherwise tank its STAB moves. It's typing, combin the defensive side, with its 125 / 90 / 90 bulkdefenses, means it can take hits, while its 130 / 130 offenses means it isn't a sitting duck offensively. This allows Kyurem to effectively utilise its ability, Pressure, to shine as it means it can also effectively stalll out super- effective attacks with low PP, such as Stone Edge or Close Combat, from threats. Kyurem has reliable recovery in the form of Roost, which adds to its ability to PressureP stall. It is also the only pokemon in UU with the ability to uscombine Pressure effectively and bestalling with strong offensively ready right off the bat potential. However, Kyurem does have its flaws that don't allowkeep it tofrom being a top tier threat. It has a hard time getting ais unable to break throundgh special walls, such as Blissey, Umbreon, and Snorlax. It has to run a not commonly seen move on Kyurem:, without running Focus Blast. Howe as a coverage move, withand even thisen, its still cannot get pastwalled by Blissey orand Florges, another. Kyurem stop. Also as an's offensive beast, itpotential is stuck at thalso mitigated by its base 95 speed tier. This speed tier seems awesome but there are many, allowing it to be outsped by faster threats that can put a stop to Kyurem such as Hydreigon, Infernape, orand Mienshao. E, each one of these have a STAB move that can outright OHKO Kyuremwhich can OHKO Kyurem with a super effective STAB move.

Kyurem's Dragon / Ice typing provides useful resistances to Grass, Water, and Electric type attacks, and offers decent neutral offensive coverage, with its STABs only being resisted by Steel-types. Kyurem has access to Earth Power as a coverage move to take care of the Steel-types that can otherwise tank its STAB moves. Its typing, combined with 125 / 90 / 90 defenses, means it can take hits, while its 130 / 130 offenses means it isn't a sitting duck offensively. This allows Kyurem to effectively utilise its ability, Pressure, to stall out super effective attacks with low PP, such as Stone Edge or Close Combat. Kyurem has reliable recovery in the form of Roost, which adds to its ability to PP stall. It is also the only pokemon in UU with the ability to combine Pressure stalling with strong offensive potential. However, Kyurem does have its flaws that keep it from being a top tier threat. It is unable to break through special walls such as Umbreon and Snorlax, without running Focus Blast as a coverage move, and even then, is still walled by Blissey and Florges. Kyurem's offensive potential is also mitigated by its base 95 speed, allowing it to be outsped by faster threats such as Hydreigon, Infernape, and Mienshao, each one of which can OHKO Kyurem with a super effective STAB move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)