Great new Strategies

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
All great teams have a good strategy behind them. There are simple strategies, such as just dishing out more damage than your opponent(as commonly seen on Hyper Offense teams), to deeper strategies such as indirectly beating the metagame by a series of intelligent switching to counter threats(commonly known as Stall).

Other such strategies are Spike-Stacking offense, as seen in This RMT, or teams that rely on Parahax, seen Here

I will ask around and add to this as much as I can, so feel free to post your ideas for good strategies!

Scouting team; Spam U-turn or Baton Pass. Usually, about two users will have very powerful U-turns (like Scizor, Staraptor or Azelf) which are even more fun to spam. Spinning is extremely important and entry hazards on the opponent's field are quite welcome too. Use lots of synergy. It's less useful now with Team Preview, unfortunately.

Bird team; Use birds. (Generally stuff like Empoleon and even Mud Sport is now viable and works well, Honchkrow, Blaziken, legendary birds, Staraptor, etc.)

Bad team; Slop crap together and see what happens.

That pretty much sums up the teams I have used.

Also, why is this in Stark Mountain if it is Great New Strategies? Black and White are pretty new, and a lot newer than generation 4.

^^^ Volt Switch, Team Preview, and Genesect don't exist yet. This is in Stark Mountain.

--------------------

I don't have an example RMT to give, but Trick Room and Baton Pass teams definitely deserve a mention here.

Also, you mention HO and Stall teams, but Balanced teams are probably the single most common type of team.

This was a short post, but I can go into more detail if that's what this thread is about.

deinosaur

Also, why is this in Stark Mountain if it is Great New Strategies? Black and White are pretty new, and a lot newer than generation 4.
Okay well, some people like to play DPP until BW settles down a little. These teams still have potential, as the metagame is the best it's been in a while.

I like to use Anti-Stall. You use things like Heatrap and Mixnite to lure out common srall members and eliminate them.

Hmm. You know this is just going to turn into 'your favourite playstyle' ? :)
Anyway, to answer the question, I'd say quickstall, as its really been made possible by some of the new pokemon like Whimsicott, Nattorei, Poison Heal Gliscor and so on.

Something I love to do in gen 4 goes like this. You start with a bulky Spikes user not called Forretress (because I hate it). Then, if you want, add a Toxic Spikes user. These two cannot be the same pokemon.
Then, add two or three synergistic sweepers or wallbreakers.
Then add some more defensive backbone to your team with something like Gliscor, Hippowdon, Cresselia, Gyarados etc. Try and use a pokemon which complements or lures setup for existing members.

Bulky Offense? Have some bulky 'mons who are also capable of dishing out some damage when used right (like Celebi, Heatran, Zapdos (yay there goes my standard core)). Add a a lead that can take a hit and set up SR and then add a real sweeper or maybe a spinner/spinblocker to your liking. Quite easy to do, and worked out pretty well for me in Gen IV, even though I suck as a player :)

deinosaur

Another effective strategy I have seen is basic Balance teams.
You have a good lead, 1-2 physical walls, a special sponge, a sweeper, and a revenge killer.
See it absolutely everywhere, and a few of the teams in the RMT archive are balance.

i use a good lead, walls for each stat two revenge killers and my main sweeper. i use my lead to cripple stuff and set up hazards, my walls to break other walls and cripple dangerous threats and also to sacrifice for my later revenge killers (both physical) to come in and when i have a chance my main sweeper to make a huge dent after threats are gone and clean up with revenge guys

I'm a fan of U-turn teams; putting on pressure through forcing constant switches and being able to scout is great and it's very effective. It's basically a twist on hyper offense.

^ I second that.

Another team strategy I've enjoyed is all choice. It can be a little difficult to pull off effectively in standard play, but it's really fun. Especially when you have an all choice tournament.

I tend to use gimmicky strategies, that win due to surprise value (or, more likely, don't win at all). Stuff like Setting up Trick Room and sweeping with FEAR Pokémon, using Assist to shuffle the opponent around hazards with speed, trying to baton pass an awesome number of boosts to a single sweeper...

Here's something that can only work in pre-BW:

Lead with Smeargle. Max speed. Focus sash.

Obviously any taunt lead or anti-lead will destroy you. This can only be set up against things like swampert; basically slower pokemon that set up hazards.

The idea is to use Spider Web or something of the like first turn when a metagross is using SR. Although, most players would go for Meteor Mash versus a smeargle.

Anyways, the foe is now trapped, and they just set up rocks. Smeargle then proceeds to Encore, thus disabling their lead altogether for the next 5-8 turns. As for the last move, well, there are a few options, Spore and Ingrain. It's very situational, Spore can help with leads that will completely mess you up anyways, things like TrickScarf Jirachi. Ingrain obviously gives recovery and prevents phazing, but you'll find that if you can pull this strategy off, Cradily or Octillery will be more than good enough to sweep. Here's where the magic happens:

Baton Pass into one of the few Pokemon that can learn Trick/Switcheroo and and Baton Pass. I suggest Drifblim, as it can outspeed a lot of things when max speed with a Choice Scarf, and even more things with an Unburden boost after you Trick your foe into the scarf. The foe is now at your mercy. They cannot switch, they cannot attack, they can't do anything. Do what you want with Drifblim. You can set up a super bulky Substitute and Stockpile up, or just Baton Pass to something like Gorebyss to set up Amnesia/Iron Defense/Aqua Ring.

After you have your defenses set up, proceed to Baton Pass to something like Ninjask or Gliscor that can set up Speed and Attack for a Physically-oriented Baton Pass receiver. Or, if you prefer to pass to a Specially-Oriented receiver, Minun/Plusle and Ambipom/Aipom are available for having the handy ability to be able to Baton Pass Agility and Nasty Plot.

Time for the sweep. Make sure you have a Substitute for blocking status and critical hits up, because right about now your foe is about to Struggle. Literally any Pokemon can pull this off. I've done it before with Pichu and Chimchar.

Well, good luck, and have fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)