Grubbin, Charjabug, Vikavolt Discussion

Then you lose the only reason to use this over galvantula or dragalge (slow nuker)

Levitate - being able to switch into things is what really saves this from straight PU. Otherwise specs galvantula pretty much does damage, actually has a speed tier that's relevant, and offers utility in sticky web.

I don't think even speed boost would save it.

That's too small of a niche; let's face it, nearly anything with a ground move will have a SE coverage move (Stone Edge on lots of things, Fire coverage on Nidokiong/Queen... hell, even strong neutral hits like Outrage from D-Nite can spell it's demise). If it can come in on ground moves, it's so slow that will get murdered next round. Hell, it needs 220 EVs to outspeed a freaking Skarmory with no EVs, and that is lame.
It can get in against defensive grounds like Hippowdon, Mudsdale and Water/Ground pokes, and Choice pokes locked on EQ, and Levitate is good to avoid Spikes/Toxic Spikes and Sticky Web. It's also good when something needs EQ to get around an opponent to gain momentum... and the momentum is almost always lost when you see that the fastest Vikavolt you'll see wil have 203 speed.
Levitate is not a reason to use this over almost anything, it's that bad ):

At least with Sheer Force i could use Agility T-Bolt under Electric Terrain and hit my head on the desk with laughter

Trick Room solves any speed issues this thing will face in VGC. Its Defense looks good enough to survive a Rock Slide too. It'll be a VGC nuke, that's for sure.

That's too small of a niche; let's face it, nearly anything with a ground move will have a SE coverage move (Stone Edge on lots of things, Fire coverage on Nidokiong/Queen... hell, even strong neutral hits like Outrage from D-Nite can spell it's demise). If it can come in on ground moves, it's so slow that will get murdered next round. Hell, it needs 220 EVs to outspeed a freaking Skarmory with no EVs, and that is lame.
It can get in against defensive grounds like Hippowdon, Mudsdale and Water/Ground pokes, and Choice pokes locked on EQ, and Levitate is good to avoid Spikes/Toxic Spikes and Sticky Web. It's also good when something needs EQ to get around an opponent to gain momentum... and the momentum is almost always lost when you see that the fastest Vikavolt you'll see wil have 203 speed.
Levitate is not a reason to use this over almost anything, it's that bad ):

At least with Sheer Force i could use Agility T-Bolt under Electric Terrain and hit my head on the desk with laughter
I don't think you read my post.

Vikavolt gets a switch in opportunity over the others so it can do something, if it can't outspeed skarmory then it gets momentum when skarm gets scared out with volt switch.

Idk why we're still discussing an ability it doesn't get. The fact it has a time to be brought in alone is what makes this usable over gal. If I want a nuker I'll just play specs galvantula and clean up.

I don't think you read my post.

Vikavolt gets a switch in opportunity over the others so it can do something, if it can't outspeed skarmory then it gets momentum when skarm gets scared out with volt switch.

Idk why we're still discussing an ability it doesn't get. The fact it has a time to be brought in alone is what makes this usable over gal. If I want a nuker I'll just play specs galvantula and clean up.
Skarm was just a example; if SR is up Skarm can Brave Bird twice (one on the switch) to get rid of it if it's slower. And Skarm can Roost to survive said Volt Switch (again, only if Vikavolt is slower).

It's opportunities are lower than you think. It can be made, but don't think coming in with Levitate unscratched is enough for this poke. Gengar (RIP) worked because it's fast and could switch in on a lot of attacks, since it had 3 immunities. Rotom-W worked because it's typing is GOOD, and things that carried ground typing moves were punished for that. Vikavolt can't do either, being slow and commonly taken out by coverage moves. Just use Specs Galvantula; or better, find an actually good Specs user.

And you're right, scratch Sheer Force, it doesn't get it, so no need for discussion.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but has anybody figured out exactly how much of a boost Battery gives your allies?
Thought I read 1.5 somewhere, but not entirely sure...

I think his viability outside of VGC trick room all depends on what he can out speed after a single agility. If there's still allot of threats faster than him at +2 he's not going to be very good.

Tapu LeLe can help keep him safe from priority.

I think his viability outside of VGC trick room all depends on what he can out speed after a single agility. If there's still allot of threats faster than him at +2 he's not going to be very good.

Tapu LeLe can help keep him safe from priority.
no cuz it's not grounded

you outspeed mega lop and manectric at +2 (135) by literally a single point, which is the vast majority of the unboosted meta, but any scarfer base 74 and up outspeeds you.

Its Speed is kind of disappointing, but it's not as inexplicable as it seems IMO. It's a living railgun. I can't see it being particularly good for moving then attacking (even if it's fast at flying, as the Pokedex hints).

I guess it will stick to nuking things with Specs-boosted attacks in singles. Stealth Rock weakness is very bad, though, so I guess it will stick to doubles.

I feel like they tried to introduce slow mons without the appropriate item updates. If there was some kind of Assault Vest that allows non-damaging move if base speed is below 50 (or any item that rewards low speed) things would be a lot more interesting.

I feel like they tried to introduce slow mons without the appropriate item updates. If there was some kind of Assault Vest that allows non-damaging move if base speed is below 50 (or any item that rewards low speed) things would be a lot more interesting.
They missed a perfect opportunity to introduce a trick room extending item IMO. Granted Trick Room is already really good in doubles and with crazy mons with the current low speed, is going to be even better in VGC, it still would've been nice imo.

They missed a perfect opportunity to introduce a trick room extending item IMO. Granted Trick Room is already really good in doubles and with crazy mons with the current low speed, is going to be even better in VGC, it still would've been nice imo.
Maybe that's why it does not have an extender item.

Guys, think about it.
If you had a GIANT, fucking BADASS RAILGUN attached to your face, not to mention this said railgun is longer than your body...
You aren't gonna be going Sanic Speeds.
Now to stop whining about speed and actually discuss... This is one of the best TR sweepers Ive seen purely because of that delicious, enticing 145 SpA. And, of course, the "crippling" 43 speed. :^) Like, any amount of bulk or the fact it has levitate is gravy, I'm only gonna be running this on a Trick Room team.

Vikavolt's low speed makes me really sad. It also makes zero sense from a Pokedex standpoint, because the dex talks about its high speed and aerial maneuvering skills. You had one job and you failed horribly, Vikavolt, especially with such a barren movepool. At least it has a cool shiny.
The speed stat is shit I'll give you that, but it has energy ball, solarbeam, and hidden power which is all the coverage it really needs. Throw on a life orb with a timid nature and watch it fuck shit up with that special attack stat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)