Not open for further replies.

Name: Guard Split
Power: --
Accuracy: 100
Type: Psychic
Category: Status
PP: 10 (max. 16)
Targets: Any 1 Pokemon adjacent to the user
Effect: Averages out Def. and Sp. Def of user and target, then distributes them evenly. Note that this does not combine Def + Sp. Def, and calculates them individually. This attack is unaffected by stat modifiers.

Pokemon that learn Power Split:
Pokemon |
Type | Method
Shuckle
| Bug / Rock | Level (55)
Baltoy | Ground / Psychic |Level (48)
Claydol | Ground / Psychic |Level (54)
Latias | Dragon / Psychic | Level (75)
Yanmask | Ghost | Level (33)
Cofagrigus | Ghost | Level (33)
Elgyem | Psychic | Level (50)
Beheeyem | Psychic | Level (56)
Abra | Psychic | Breeding
Shelmet | Bug | Breeding

Competitive Value:
This move would have the greatest value if either you're using a frail sweeper (such as Alakazam), and want it to become more durable (although I don't really see that happening) by using it on an opponent's wall, or switching in to a predicted Guard Split with a frail sweeper (such as Deoxys-A) and getting a massive defensive boost.

-----------------------------------------------------------

E.G. Alakazam vs. Special Wall
(Zam has 252 Sp. Atk Modest in each calculation, and is at Lv. 100)
(Everything has 31 IVs)
Zam vs. 252 Def, 4 Sp. Def Bold Blissey: Def: 128 (a difference of... 2!!) Sp. Def: 257
Zam vs. 252 Def, 252 Sp. Def Impish Shuckle: Def: 370, Sp. Def: 383.

-----------------------------------------------------

A possible Alakazam set for this could be:
Alakazam @Life Orb
Magic Guard
Modest / Timid, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
Moves:
Guard Split
Focus Blast
Psyshock
Shadow Ball

This gets basic coverage, and gives Alakazam a chance to boost its crap defences enough (hopefully) that it can take a hit or two. Magic Guard means it doesn't have to worry about status or LO recoil, so that's good.

Counters:
Anything faster that has a (preferably Physical) strong STAB or Super-Effective attack. CB Scizor w/ BP would be perfect, as it would most likely hit on it's horribly low base 45 Def and base 55 HP.

Doubles / Triples viability:

I think that this is more viable in Doubles/Triples than not. In Ubers, one could have a frail sweeper such as Deoxys-A and a defensive wall such as Shuckle and give Deo-A super-high defences w/o the need for setup from Cosmic Power, etc. (like it has the time for that anyways).

Overall, Guard Split is a neat move that can potentially save you, or ruin you. Compared to its counterpart, Power Split, it has less uses, as most users are more commonly walls, but has an advantage over it, being that it can make "glass cannons" durable. Would that make them "metal cannons" instead?

I'd say the term would be more "Lightning Bruiser."

However, most of the fast and frail monsters that learn this move would be better off focusing on their attacking prowess and coverage. I could see it being used on a gimmick set to soften walls, but something tells me that if this move is unaffected by stat boosts (that is, it calculates Def and SDef before boosts, distributes those and then re-applies stage changes), you shouldn't use it against mons that have already boosted their defenses.

Also, it's 16 PP, not 18.

Doubles/Triples would be interesting...

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Impish
252 HP/252 DEF/4 SPDEF
Sturdy
--Guard Split
--Defense Curl
--Rollout
--Power Split

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold
252 HP/252 DEF/4 SPDEF
Natural Cure
--Heal Bell
--Toxic
--Softboiled
--Heal Pulse

major taunt bait but you need to double taunt to smash this one.

First turn, Guard Split on Blissey. You can let Shuckle die afterward, but Blissey is now some sort of impenetrable mofo.

Accelgor is an interesting user of Guard Split, thanks to his blazing speed and poor defenses (like Alakazam). I've tried him out in the past and it went... okay. Not great for OU, but I think I should mention it.

Accelgor @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Focus Sash
Hydration
252 Hp / 4 Sp.A / 252 Spe
- Guard Split
- Rest
- Bug Buzz
- HP Ice / filler coverage move

Status-proof and full instant recovery!
Unfortunately, this set needs Permarain to work, and Toxic Spikes help. Accelgor usually forces out fast sweepers and lures walls, but this set can also mess with bulky 'mons by stealing their defenses. Then, after you've made yourself bulkier, you can chip away at their health between healing with your blazing fast HydraRest. Or just stall with T-Spikes. A lot of things force it out, but it's Accelgor... And you can still abuse Accelgor's speed for revenge killing. The set's a little gimmicky, but fun.

A very fun gimmicky set. Accelgor I think is one of the best users of it. Ru is full of bulky mons and leads he can take advatage of. Besides this will also help his offensive capabilities aswell.

I can't really see it being used. It's okay when you're tolololing against Forry and you happen to make his Defense suck, but it's waay too gimmicky.

Pen Ink:
I think that the X+Forry would work in a different way: doubles:
Shuckle + Ferrowith Shuckle Sp. Def and Ferro Def. Use Guard Split and Ferro has better defenses. Then switch Shuckle out, then back in (use Protect), then use that again. It keeps adding to Ferro's defenses, until they're at Shuckle's level. Then you'll have a perfect defensive beast with the amazing defences of Shuckle, usable attack, good typing, hazards+seeding, and the perfect way to troll ur opponent.

i used it a few times, more as a joke, with a level 1 abra with guardswap(since he can come in always due to magic guard and get it off) then stuntank would come in and pursuit + sucker punch meaning I would get the kill provided I predicted right. it was weird and didn't work as much as i would have liked but it wasn't tooo bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)