Hilarious NPC Quotes

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It took me a while to understand too, but I think the idea is that this line has ~risqué~ implications. In my experience, if any NPC (but especially a female one) ever talks about 'having fun' with the player character, a certain segment of Pokemon fans immediately infer something vaguely sexual. Often it's cloaked in a layer of irony or self-deprecation (e.g. "I know I have a dirty mind, but..."), but it still strikes me as a little weird.
Part of me just wonders if it just has to do with how people have grown up with Pokemon for years (and some its been there their whole life). Pokemon does not shy away from sexy designs (for trainers or certain Pokemon; oh, and for both genders though obviously woman are more subject to this), or having a character that's cute, wholesome, or likeable in other ways. For kids these are just fun and interesting characters, though for older and teen fans it's not hard to think these characters serve as a bit of eye candy, especially if the character has a lot of interactions with the players and develop their relationship with them.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think it's deliberate maybe 20% of the time people claim it is? Probably more like 5% in Pokemon specifically.
Yeah nah its a huge thing in games marketed mainly towards children (e.g a lot of Nintendo games, especially Pokemon) that also have an older audience. Nice little things that kids can harmlessly skip over but adults/teens might get a chuckle out of.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
There's a move that gets stronger when you keep using it in a row.

It's a BUG-type move, and it is wickedly cool.

It's called FURY CUTTER.
Want me to teach it to a POKéMON?

YES
>NO

We're not on the same wavelength.
So many of the Emerald and FRLG tutors are brilliant!

Some personal favourites:

Mimic (Emerald):

Ah, young one!
I am also a young one, but I mimic the styles and speech of the elderly folks of this town.
What do you say, young one?
Would you agree to it if I were to offer to teach the move MIMIC?

No: Oh, boo! I wanted to teach MIMIC to your POKéMON!

Yes: Fwofwo! And so I shall!

Double-Edge (Emerald)

Sigh... SOOTOPOLIS's GYM LEADER is really lovably admirable. But that also means I have many rivals for his attention.
He's got appeal with a DOUBLE-EDGE. I couldn't even catch his eye. Please, let me teach your POKéMON the move DOUBLE-EDGE!

No: Oh...
Even you rejected me..
Yes: [...] I won't live for love anymore! I'll become tough!

Mega Punch/Mega Kick

A punch of roaring ferocity! Packed with destructive power! When the chips are down, MEGA PUNCH is the ultimate attack! You agree, yes?
Now! Let me teach it to your POKéMON!

No: You’ll be back when you understand the worth of MEGA PUNCH.
Yes: [...] Now, we are comrades in the way of punching!
You should go before you’re seen by the misguided fool who trains only his silly kicking over there.

A kick of brutal ferocity! Packed with destructive power! When you get right down to it, MEGA KICK is the ultimate attack! Don’t you agree?
Okay! I’ll teach it to your POKéMON!

No: You’ll come crawling back when you realize the value of MEGA KICK.
Yes: [...] Now, we are soul mates in the way of kicking!
You should run before you’re seen by the deluded nitwit who trains only simple punching over there.

Dynamicpunch

I can't do this anymore! It's utterly hopeless!
I'm a FIGHTING-type TRAINER, so I can't win at the MOSSDEEP GYM no matter how hard I try!
Argh! Punch! Punch! Punch! Punch! Punch! Punch!
What, don't look at me that way! I'm only hitting the ground! Or do you want me to teach your POKéMON DYNAMICPUNCH?

No: Darn! You're even making fun of me? Punch! Punch! Punch!
Yes: What? You do? You're a good person! [...] I want you to win at the MOSSDEEP GYM using that DYNAMICPUNCH! Sigh...

Emerald Frontier tutors (and their onlookers)

Buhahaha! You couldn't tell it from looking now, but I used to be one tough TRAINER. I had a reputation as the toughest BEAUTY around, I tell you!
.. .. .. .. .. ..
What is it now? You don't believe me. I'm not like that blowhard woman over there. I'm actually talented!
Let me prove it to you. I can teach your POKéMON special and yet cute moves.
[...] Do you see how skilled I am now? I'll take your Battle Points, thanks!

Ihihihi! I know it's hard to see now, but I used to be one fantastic TRAINER. I had a reputation as the most invincible SWIMMER around, I tell you!
.. .. .. .. .. ..
What's wrong? You don't believe me. I'm not like that buffoonish woman over there. I'm actually experienced!
I can prove it to you. I can teach your POKéMON hard and yet pretty moves.
[...] Do you see how skilled I am now? I'll take your Battle Points, thanks!

Those ladies, the way they bad-mouth each other, you probably think that they don't get along.
But if that were true, they wouldn't stay out here together, would they?

When I was just a wee YOUNGSTER, those ladies were strong and beautiful. They were idols among us TRAINERS.
Even now, age hasn't dulled their abilities. In fact, their POKéMON moves have grown even more polished.
But... For some reason, I can't help but feel this...
Time is so cruel...

Last edited:
Poor DynamicPunch dude. If he has relatives in Kanto, he should ask for a Poliwrath and then Surf with it to Safari Zone in order to catch a Heracross and then Spam Surf + Megahorn to those floating rocks.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Two particularly funny ones from RBY I discovered in my ongoing RB 3DS VC playthrough:

One between two people trading in Celadon:
"Alright! My buddy's going to trade his KANGASKHAN for my GRAVELER!"
"Come on GRAVELER! I love GRAVELER! I collect them! Huh? GRAVELER turned into a different POKEMON!"

And one Roughneck (Cue Ball) in the bike road:
"My POKEMON won't evolve! Why?"
(You battle him, his Pokemon turns out to be a Machoke)
After beating him:
"Maybe some POKEMON need element STONEs to evolve"

It's pretty funny how these two are showing off two of the trade evos in weird ways. One of them indirectly hints at Golem's existence, which is very notable since no in-game Trainer at all uses Golem, so hypothetically a new player could go the whole game without realizing Golem exists. The other is a Machoke, who one NPC wants to evolve but can't, and maybe by process of elimination and reading the report in Silph Co (there's a report in Silph Co noting four Pokemon evolve via trade) they'll figure out Machamp is another one of the two.

I didn't exist in the 90s so I don't know how Gen 1 was played at the time, but this is pretty funny and a nice way to put a number of hints together that trade evos existed and that Golem and Machamp were two of them. I wonder how kids at the time managed to figure out that Alakazam and Gengar were the other two.

I didn't. Trained my Kadabra up to Lv. 55 thinking it was a late-evo like Dragonair and then someone told me it wasn't.

I've been hating on trade evos ever since. :fukyu:
Big same on hating Trade Evos, at the very least they should have items that let you do it on their own, with Trading being the faster & easier to repeat method.

But I at least have a DS & 3DS, two GBAs and a GBA link cable (only thing I had to go out of my way to get as the others were gifts from over the years) so I can easily trade with myself for the Gen 3, 4, and 5 games, but that is still kind of gaming the system.

Last edited:
Two particularly funny ones from RBY I discovered in my ongoing RB 3DS VC playthrough:

And one Roughneck (Cue Ball) in the bike road:
"My POKEMON won't evolve! Why?"
(You battle him, his Pokemon turns out to be a Machoke)
After beating him:
"Maybe some POKEMON need element STONEs to evolve"

It's pretty funny how these two are showing off two of the trade evos in weird ways. One of them indirectly hints at Golem's existence, which is very notable since no in-game Trainer at all uses Golem, so hypothetically a new player could go the whole game without realizing Golem exists. The other is a Machoke, who one NPC wants to evolve but can't, and maybe by process of elimination and reading the report in Silph Co (there's a report in Silph Co noting four Pokemon evolve via trade) they'll figure out Machamp is another one of the two.

I didn't exist in the 90s so I don't know how Gen 1 was played at the time, but this is pretty funny and a nice way to put a number of hints together that trade evos existed and that Golem and Machamp were two of them. I wonder how kids at the time managed to figure out that Alakazam and Gengar were the other two.
And then in Yellow you can trade a Cubone to a kid on Route 5 for RICKY the Machoke and instantly get yourself a Machamp, so now you can figure this out much earlier than Silph co, and even taunt the poor Roughncek by beating him with RICKY!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)