ORAS UU 'Holding U' Final RMT (#5 on Ladder)

"Holding U" Top 5 UU Team

Hey everyone!
Some of you may know me as the co-founder of DTA or have come across me on the ladder a few times. In any case, Pokemon Sun & Moon has just been released and with a new meta dawning on us, I want to share the team I've been using towards the end of ORAS UU's life-span.
I don't consider myself to be a top team-builder, however, I feel that in this instance, I've created a well-rounded and solid team which, when played correctly, can be a threat to anyone.

The team is essentially Bulky Offence, with 3 set-up mons, a specs user, a cleric and hazard control - anything can be a threat if left alive!
With that being said, I'll take you through the making of the team:

Cresselia/Florges:

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 44 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

I feel that with any BO team, it is essential to start with a solid defensive core. Cresselia and Florgess compliment each other perfectly as Cresselia can take physical hits while Florges can take the special attacks. The typings also compliment each other as Florges can take the Bug/Dark type moves that Cresselia can't.
Cresselia gives great utility to the team as paralysis is HEAVILY crippling in Gen 6, while Florges can Wish-Pass and heal any status inflictions on the team.

Empoleon:

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 220 HP / 164 Def / 124 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

Adding to my defensive core, as well as providing reliable hazard control, this Empoleon set, inspired by Youthberry is a great fit for the team. Cresselia assists it's weakness to Ground/Fighting type moves while Empoleon can absorb Poison type moves for Florgess.
Shuca Berry alongside this spread allows Empoleon to take a hit from Nidoking/queen, Krookodile and Mamoswine and return with a Torrent boosted Scald.

Moltres:

Moltres @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Air Slash
- U-turn

Very few people use Choice Specs Moltres and it baffles my why this is the case! With a decent speed, access to base 110 moves such as Fire Blast and Hurricane, and 125 base SpAtk, Moltres is very capable of outspeeding and OHKOing a lot of threats in the tier including Offensive Gyarados, Nidoking and Sableye.
Air Slash allows for a less risky attack which still hits hard! And U-Turn can be used against special walls such as Blissey keep up momentum.

Conkeldurr:

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 168 HP / 88 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Conk provides my team with a physical attacker allowing me to deal with the likes of Blissey and Empoleon. This set can be extemely dangerous to the opposing side, especially if they lack a Fairy type. After one Bulk Up, Conkeldurr is capable of taking on Pokemon it could not prior to the boost including Crobat and Aerodactyl. This set can safely set up on passive utility mons such as Foretress and Bronzong.

Mega Sceptile:

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Mega Sceptile is truly the "final piece of the puzzle" for this team. It provides my team with some speedy offence as well as an Electric immunity. I chose to use X-Scissor over Dragon Claw as Celebi with a Nasty Plot boost would otherwise be able to sweep my team. The strongest part about this set is the surprise factor: not many people expect physical offence from Mega Sceptile which could cause them to make a fatal error.
The Team:
Replays:

Evidence:

ShoutOuts:
Everyone in DTA! You guys are the best! Youthberry, Haate, CBU, Bad Rap Sample, Bhris Brown, cubonesmotherr, Lord Iroh, Island Spices, edaKiwi, FindingTrueLove, Accelgor, J0RIS, Low Ladder Heroes, Elise, eht, ChillShadow, Zben, Horsehead3, Icey Krook, DrReuniclus3, Varsen and my boy Sparrow!

Please let me know what you think, any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
yo yo wisp we talked about this on showdown, but ill just post my thoughts down here as well:

-Basically we agreed the entei check was a tad bit wonky so to try and fix some of these issues we moved forward with this:
---------->

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP / 144 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Return
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

• This ended up giving wisp a much better way of dealing with entei and gave the fairy on the team a lot more leeway to be offering support since it didnt need to hold on to dear life every time an entei came in. It also allows us to still continue to run some slow setup on the team in replacement.
-Sadly this change left us open to dark types and in order to fix that I had to make a few quick fixes like so:

Cresselia @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

• The spread allows us to out speed and kill crawdaunt with moonblast when we are at +1 as well as let us take important hits from mons like krook in order to do serious damage which in the long run can allow moltres some more nuking space.
-After that I just wanted to make dark types have just a tad bit less presence versus your team and in order to do that I:

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

• Sylveon carries bigger wishes and can support empoleon a bit better than florges can, the 24+ sp.def lets us take on threats like blastoise a lot like a sp.def wall should.
Thats mostly what I thought of when I looked at your team, and just one little nitpick would be to use willo or flamethrower>air slash mostly because if you're going for a move with higher accuracy you want it to hit 100% of the time right? so flamethrower would be a lot safer and prevent any sort of bullshit from occurring to you. Willo will allow you to cripple people that may have issues with but if you're specs you probably don't need this. Cool team man I definitely need to try this out in my free time seya around and I hope my changes were not too aggressive n_n/

yo yo wisp we talked about this on showdown, but ill just post my thoughts down here as well:

-Basically we agreed the entei check was a tad bit wonky so to try and fix some of these issues we moved forward with this:
---------->

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Return
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

• This ended up giving wisp a much better way of dealing with entei and gave the fairy on the team a lot more leeway to be offering support since it didnt need to hold on to dear life every time an entei came in. It also allows us to still continue to run some slow setup on the team in replacement.
-Sadly this change left us open to dark types and in order to fix that I had to make a few quick fixes like so:

Cresselia @ Colbur Berry
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

• The spread allows us to out speed and kill crawdaunt with moonblast when we are at +1 as well as let us take important hits from mons like krook in order to do serious damage which in the long run can allow moltres some more nuking space.
-After that I just wanted to make dark types have just a tad bit less presence versus your team and in order to do that I:

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

• Sylveon carries bigger wishes and can support empoleon a bit better than florges can, the 24+ sp.def lets us take on threats like blastoise a lot like a sp.def wall should.
Thats mostly what I thought of when I looked at your team, and just one little nitpick would be to use willo or flamethrower>air slash mostly because if you're going for a move with higher accuracy you want it to hit 100% of the time right? so flamethrower would be a lot safer and prevent any sort of bullshit from occurring to you. Willo will allow you to cripple people that may have issues with but if you're specs you probably don't need this. Cool team man I definitely need to try this out in my free time seya around and I hope my changes were not too aggressive n_n/

Thanks for the feedback man, I'll try out the changes you've mentioned and let you know how it goes!:)

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey mate, nice team, you've always managed to out hax vs me on ladder with it :^] I myself have a Specs Moltres team and I can see some common weakness' when it comes to running the monster on a team.

Basically you kinda forego any kind of Fire-Type switch-in in favour of offensive synergy when running Specs Moltres. Killintime has already pointed out the glaring Entei weakness but you also have nothing to switch into opposing Specs Moltres and Specs/Sub CM Chandelure.

Seconding Astasis' (Killintime) suggestion of Snorlax I propose a slightly different set.
Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam / Return
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Curse
Earthquake functions nicely during the mid-game where you may be utilising Snorlax as a pivot, similar to how you use Conkeldurr quite aggressively.

The next change I propose is optional, but I am going to suggest running M-Swampert over M-Sceptile. In this case, having Snorlax over Conkeldurr gives you a nicer match up vs the onion. M-Swamp provides you with another Fire spam switch-in and loves cleric support from Florges / Sylveon.
Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Rain Dance
The set itself being quite flexible, you can choose to run Jolly and Power-Up Punch, but Ice Punch is nice vs a weakened Celebi.

I can't echo what was already suggested enough so I am also on board with the Sylveon over Florges change, the only issue you may come across being a free switch-in for M-Aboma which is a pain for you to face if rocks are up.

Pillow. n_n

I've fought this team several times and it's very, very well built. There are multiple checks or counters to every major threat in the tier. I have seen first hand how effective it can be. However, I'm not sure I'd classify it as bulky offense. I think of this as being a straight up balance team, although that's neither here nor there.

If I had to pick out a flaw I'd say the defensive core is a bit passive. Specs Moltres is a huge momentum grabber vs. balance and offense and I feel that's not fully being taken advantage of. Empoleon is a very reliable defogger (in that it will almost always be able to remove hazards once or twice a game) but it's so crushingly passive and I'm not sure I like that on this team.

I'd be interested in trying a version that messes with the defensive core a bit. Maybe Tentacruel > Empoleon. Tentacruel is also fairly reliable and I think Toxic Spikes would pair very nicely with mons like Specs Moltres and Mega Sceptile which force a lot of switches. With Klefki in the tier, and Killintime mentioning a slight Entei weakness, I might also try Cune > Cress.

In fact, I think I will try that! I'll try to ladder some this weekend and report back. n_n

Overall, it's important to keep in mind these are just minor quibbles. This is a very, very nice team you have.

(P.S. Thanks for the shoutout! I finally made DTA-Love so I'm a real member of the DTA clan now. n_n)

Last edited:

---------->

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Return
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Cresselia @ Colbur Berry
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Hey Killintime, sorry for the delayed response. I've had a chance to try out your suggestions and I must say, I've had some great matches with it:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-482671973

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-482663865

The problem I'm finding now, however, is that I'm struggling to deal with some steel types such as Empoleon and Cobalion with the changes. Although there are still ways to beat these mons with the improved team, it can be tricky...
Sparrow's suggestions cover these options, so I'm going to try his changes and see if it makes it any easier.
Thanks again for your comment on my post, really helped!:)

Hey mate, nice team, you've always managed to out hax vs me on ladder with it :^] I myself have a Specs Moltres team and I can see some common weakness' when it comes to running the monster on a team.

Basically you kinda forego any kind of Fire-Type switch-in in favour of offensive synergy when running Specs Moltres. Killintime has already pointed out the glaring Entei weakness but you also have nothing to switch into opposing Specs Moltres and Specs/Sub CM Chandelure.

Seconding Astasis' (Killintime) suggestion of Snorlax I propose a slightly different set.
Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam / Return
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Curse
Earthquake functions nicely during the mid-game where you may be utilising Snorlax as a pivot, similar to how you use Conkeldurr quite aggressively.

The next change I propose is optional, but I am going to suggest running M-Swampert over M-Sceptile. In this case, having Snorlax over Conkeldurr gives you a nicer match up vs the onion. M-Swamp provides you with another Fire spam switch-in and loves cleric support from Florges / Sylveon.
Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Rain Dance
The set itself being quite flexible, you can choose to run Jolly and Power-Up Punch, but Ice Punch is nice vs a weakened Celebi.

I can't echo what was already suggested enough so I am also on board with the Sylveon over Florges change, the only issue you may come across being a free switch-in for M-Aboma which is a pain for you to face if rocks are up.

These changes actually work really well! I've had a few games with these suggestions, and not only is shutting down Entei a lot easier, but the synergy between Mega Pert's Rain Dance and Moltres' Hurrican can be devastating to the opponent:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-483818398

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-483814083

The only weakness this leaves me is speed - Although this team was intentionally supposed to be Bulky Offense, without Sceptile, the team's fastest mon is Moltres (Base 90) making certain Pokemon such as Haxarous and Celebi a huge threat after one boost. Again, this isn't impossible to deal with as my team has speed control (T Wave on Cress and Rain Dance on Pert), but it can still be tricky.

Overall a great help to the team, I've been using it high ladder and it's been doing very solidly!

CBU

Banned deucer.
Ok ok time to evaluate my man's BO god squad... i've faced off against you many times with this team. won some, lost some but i always was pissed off because it is actually a very good team.now i do get that oras is essentially dead and any suggestions won't have a crazy impact but here are my thoughts. The only thing that throws me off is your innability to punish/block volt-turn or turn-turn (yes sceptile is there but it is not a class-a switchin per say :P .Also flame body has luck factor involved ). i could see a rocky helmet mandi over emp and like maybe krook over conk. would give u solid immunity to electric, a trapper and also empoleon sucks dick. mandi can support the helmet with its reliable recovery (where is your roost empoleon)punishing turners . But for the most part its a great team and i really like it. Gj my dude :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)