I Had to Strike Twice Cuz I Zapdos - an SPL 8 Team Dump

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Howdy friends, resident Doubles Illuminati member and world traveler MajorBowman here. Since I've clicked my last move in this year's SPL and I am about to be country hopping for a couple weeks, I figured I would get my team dump out of the way. This SPL has been an amazing experience, and as of writing this post my team, the Circus Maximum Tigers, is currently locked in an intense tiebreak in the finals against the Indie Scooters. I'm so happy I was retained, being on the Tigers this season has been so much fun. But you didn't come here to watch me wax poetic, you want some spicy teams. Lucky for you, my teams are the spiciest. The title and video were chosen because I have low key been obsessed with the cypher for the last couple weeks, and I found this line particularly poignant considering a certain set that will come up multiple times.

Week 1 vs Stax (W)

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 140 SpA / 80 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 104 HP / 112 Atk / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 232 HP / 40 SpA / 124 SpD / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Protect

Milotic @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect

This was legitimately the first team I built in SM lol. I had just been messing around with teams I got passed from some friends before SPL to get a feel for the format, so when SPL started I wanted to start from scratch. Since the last teams I had built were in ORAS and I had no experience building with the new SM Pokemon yet, I tried to stay mostly within my comfort zone. Charizard + Landorus + Aegislash was something I had used a whole lot in ORAS and I didn't see a reason why it couldn't be successful in SM, so that's where I started. Sticking to comfort picks, I went with AV Landorus and Substitute + Wide Guard Aegislash, but my secretary and expert building/testing partner miltankmilk suggested Tailwind Charizard and I was on board. I knew from the few SM teams I had played around with that Deoxys-A + Lele is pretty stupid, and Deoxys has some really good coverage with Ice Beam + Superpower can take out some pokemon that give Charizard trouble like Salamence, Landorus, and Heatran. I didn't have a Z move yet so I just stuck Psychium Z on Lele, and used Taunt as a way to block Trick Room or other setup moves. Finally, I wanted some speed control and another deterrent to Landorus, and Milotic fit the bill. My favorite set from VGC2015/ORAS DOU was easily Maranga Berry, but Psychic Seed is just a better version that doesn't rely on taking a hit before you get the Special Defense boost. I went with a TurboSnake™ spread that outsped Mega Salamence at -1 speed so I could take it out with 2 consecutive Icy Winds. This team was pretty cool, and it was nice to start off SPL with a solid win.

Week 2 vs kamikaze (W)

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 232 HP / 136 Atk / 8 Def / 132 SpA
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 220 HP / 164 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 152 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
Ability: Static
EVs: 232 HP / 136 Def / 84 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Explosion

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Dear god I love this team. This is easily my favorite team so far in the format. I just love the way it plays and how cool some of the sets are. This is also the beginning of the infamous Seed Zapdos, a set that I believe I invented and I will fight you until Stratos is unbanned if you claim otherwise. I posted a pretty detailed description of it in the SPL 8 Creative Sets thread so check that out if you want. This team was the product of miltankmilk throwing some sick ideas at me, and me filling in a couple holes. The Aegislash set was all his and I think it's both hilarious and amazing. Shadow Sneak is super underrated, and HP Ice was great to pick off Landorus and Salamence immediately. I loved this Tyranitar set as well, Chople Berry means it can take a Superpower from both max attack Deoxys and Jolly Life Orb Landorus and KO back with either Crunch or Ice Beam. Ice Beam also gives it a way to dunk on Mence, as Mence really can't touch Tyranitar at all. Fini is just a standard Calm Mind Spread, and Salamence is pretty standard too. Landorus was originally Scarf, but I felt like I didn't need the extra speed and Band gave it a way to deal a ton of damage. Explosion is really cool, especially since I have a Ghost to boom next to. I went with Adamant since there isn't a whole lot in that speed tier and more power is neat. I love love love this team and will probably continue to use it for a while.

Week 3 vs I Am a Rookie (L)

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Follow Me
- Trick Room
- Protect

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 176 HP / 108 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Araquanid @ Mystic Water
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Atk / 16 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Liquidation
- Wide Guard
- Toxic
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 232 HP / 136 Atk / 8 Def / 132 SpA
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Honestly this team isn't anything special. I think I was trying to do a little bit too much with it. Araquanid is pretty underwhelming, and forcing TR onto Jirachi made it a little less flexible than I would have hoped. I don't think the team is bad or anything, but it's definitely not my best work.

Week 4 vs Braverius (L)

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Tailwind
- Protect

EVs: 104 HP / 112 Atk / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Milotic @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect

I went a bit more offensive with this team than I normally do. I reused Seed Milotic and Vest Landorus from week 1, and tried to go a little bit more aggro with Pokemon like fast Firium Heatran and Scarf Tapu Lele. Looking back this team was probably a bit too much of a departure from my style, I generally don't play hyper offense very well. Still think it's a decent team though, not disappointed with it like I am with the week 3 team.

Week 5 vs Memoric (L)

Volcanion @ Firium Z
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 21 Spe
- Overheat
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Protect

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Tapu Lele @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 232 HP / 40 SpA / 124 SpD / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Protect

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Healing Wish
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magician
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Def
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

This team isn't something I built from scratch, but instead an edited version of a team GenOne posted, I believe in the teambuliding competition thread. He originally had Araquanid and Heatran instead of my Volcanion and Shaymin, but I felt like the edits I made made the team a bit more flexible outside of Trick Room. I think I changed some movesets and items too, I don't remember exactly what was on the original squad. Notable team choices included Firium Z on Volcanion, after I had seen it used to some success in previous weeks, and Healing Wish Shaymin, an idea miltankmilk came up with after we decided that we didn't really need Tailwind on this team. Sadly, a poorly timed Seed Flare miss prevented me from showing off Healing Wish, but it's still a fun squad.

Week 6 vs SamVGC (W)

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 104 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Seismic Toss
- Substitute
- Protect

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Protect

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 104 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 232 HP / 136 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 16 HP / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

After losing three straight I was pretty desperate to break the streak, so I tried to build something that was just solid in most matchups. Kangaskhan fit that bill pretty well and I hadn't used it yet, so I went with this sort of Balance team with a setup option in Zygarde + Jirachi + Kangaskhan. Stealth Rock Heatran was something miltankmilk had been hounding me to use it for a couple weeks, and I have to admit it was pretty cool. Rotom-Wash isn't getting much love this generation, but I still think it's usable and it does its jobs well. It is a great check to both Landorus and Salamence, and having Speed control, though nerfed, is still valuable. It has a lot of options for that 3rd move, so I think it deserves to be used a bit more. I also caved on trying out Tapu Bulu due to its synergy with Heatran and Grassy Terrain's benefits for bulkier teams like this one, and it didn't really disappoint. It hits stupid hard with Wood Hammer, and Assault Vest + Terrain + Horn Leech means it can stick around for a while. I think this was just overall a decent team with a lot of flexibility, and I liked using it. Poor Jirachi.

Week 8 vs Biosci (W)

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 28 Def / 172 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 112 SpD / 84 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Seismic Toss
- Crunch
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 152 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

Heatran @ Firium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

I really wanted to use Celesteela this week. I had some other ideas flying around that happened to include Celesteela, but at one point I told miltankmilk "I scrapped everything but Celesteela because this thing is so good" and started over. I stuck with the bulky offense theme here and went with the famed Fini + Zapdos + Kangashan core. Landorus was great for Intimidate and for the speed, and Heatran was the unintentional MVP during this match after I managed to knock out Biosci's +6 Azumarill with a couple Heat Waves. There was a specific reason why I used Flash Cannon instead of HP Ice as a 3rd attack but I don't remember it, I think it was just because I hadn't seen much Salamence from Biosci and I wasn't in any position to HP Ice against Landorus since it wasn't Shuca Berry.

Week 9 vs njnp (W)

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Seismic Toss
- Crunch
- Protect

EVs: 40 HP / 212 Atk / 172 Def / 84 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 7 Spe
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 12 Spe
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Nature's Madness
- Superpower

Bronzong @ Psychium Z
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Hypnosis
- Trick Room
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Earth Power

Since Jirachi had just been banned but was still legal for this week, I had a team built around bulky DD Mega Salamence + Jirachi that I was testing all week as a sort of farewell to Jirachi. However, as the game drew nearer I started feeling incredibly uncomfortable with the team, as I felt like it relied too much on Salamence to deal damage and I'm not a fan of single wincon teams. With not much time left, I just decided to use the team miltankmilk brought against dad1 Week 7, since I had just used it a bunch to get reqs for the Jirachi test. I made a couple changes, like Earth Power over Dragon Claw on Kyurem with a bit more Special Attack investment and Shuca Berry over Charcoal on Heatran, but the rest is all his. This is a really good team, one of the best ZTR Zong teams in my opinion. Thanks for the squad friendo.

Semifinals vs Stax (W)

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 20 HP / 168 SpA / 68 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Disable
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Rockium Z
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Low Kick
- Protect

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 28 Def / 172 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 148 SpA / 32 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

This is basically just the team I used vs Biosci but with Gengar/Tyranitar over Kangaskhan/Heatran. I wanted to give Gengar another chance since it had a very good track record against Kangaskhan, and I knew Stax liked Kangaskhan a lot. Tyranitar is also very good against Zapdos and Ninetales, which is known for using as well. Since I had no Z move I went with faster Rockium Ttar to take advantage of Tailwind instead of the slow Chople Ice Beam set I had been using. I also went back to Bandorus since I wasn't impressed with Scarf and enjoyed the huge damage output.

Finals vs Biosci (L)

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Protect

Heatran @ Firium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 7 Spe
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

EVs: 180 HP / 164 SpA / 16 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

EVs: 124 HP / 132 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

Since I was traveling for the majority (if not all) of this week, I didn't have time to build from scratch. Instead, I got this team from qsns and made some small changes. I like this squad a lot, as it felt super flexible and was able to function pretty well both in and out of Trick Room. Amoonguss is really good and criminally underused right now, and as long as you can keep Electric/Misty terrains away it basically has free reign to put entire teams to sleep. I think this team would have shined and shown how strong it was at playing the fast and slow game but I was unfortunately flinched as I was trying to set what was basically a tournament winning Trick Room. Still was a very fun team with a lot of threats.

Can't end this team dump without a huge shoutout to miltankmilk. You were such an amazing teammate and building/testing partner. I think we developed a really great dynamic over these 11 weeks and I hope we keep building together after SPL comes to a close. I was lucky to have you on my team and I'm glad you got your W in too. I'd love to have you back next year but I think you've shown that you're deserving of your own spot, so I'll be rooting for that instead.

Well that's it. Aside from the teams with Jirachi (and maybe soon Kangaskhan), feel free to steal these and use them however you'd like. Like I said, SPL 8 was so much fun and I'm stoked that I got to be a part of it. Can't wait to do it all again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)