Walrus I like media - Won by Blazade

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
11th place - 6.0 (Jalmont)

Survival Fiji theme

Well this certainly allows Survivor to make an entrance, so as an OP it definitely succeeds in that regard. As a piece of music though? I’m not as convinced about that tbh. It’s the kind of thing that only works in the context of being an OP and not really as anything else. It sure as hell beats Modern Family though.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
10th place - 6.1 (LightWolf)

FE: Echoes theme

I haven’t played that much Fire Emblem, but I grew up with Brawl as a kid so choral versions of the main theme aren’t anything new to me. Personally, I prefer the version of this used on the title screen in Awakening to the Echoes version of this.

Martin

9th place - 6.2 (RODAN)

Butter-Fly from Digimon

I don’t have any nostalgia for Digimon to fall back onto unfortunately, so I can’t rose-tint my view of this. I really want to like this, and it has plenty of musical integrity, but it doesn’t really strike me either as the type of music that I’d find myself wanting to particularly listen to again and again. Normally when I listen to something over and over again it grows on me for a while before staling, but every time I listen all the way through this I like it less than before (I originally had this at seven-point-something). It is very samey all the way through outside of the guitar solo, and while this isn’t necessarily something I will always mark a song down for, I just find myself getting bored as it goes on, and it isn’t interesting enough to make up for its repetitiveness.

Martin

8th place - 7.0 (TMan87)

STEREO DIVE FOUNDATION - Daisy (Kyoukai no Kanata)

I watched Kyoukai no Kanata explicitly because I heard this song and wanted to hear it more; I do this with shows all the time when they have a good OP or ED. While it probably isn’t STEREO DIVE FOUNDATION’s best work, it does a very good job of pulling you into its very laid back sound and wrapping itself around you. My reason for not scoring it higher just comes down to the fact that I don’t think it matches up as well as the stuff above it and because I have kinda worn myself out on this song in the past.

Martin

7th place - 7.6 (Granny Pie)

Stellaris Suite: Creation and Beyond

This starts out very grand; I can picture myself drifting through the depths of space as I listen, and as it goes on we get more tonal music as we get something a little more menu-y taking the place of the much grander music for a while before getting more grand strings+horns+timpani to really build up the idea of some kind of warfare going on; a fleet of battleships heading to the battlefield? This is a lot of really epic orchestration going on here, and it does a really stellar job of setting up an atmosphere for what is to come. With all that said, as epic as some sections of this are, I can’t help but shift a feeling of dissatisfaction in places, whether it be me getting bored at how nothing is really happening for prolonged periods of time or whether it just comes down to something else, and as such I can’t put this as high as I think it very easily could be. That said, it is excellent at building towards something (I was actually listening to this while waiting for the reveal to start), which makes it thoroughly succeed as a main theme.

Martin

6th place - 7.8 (KnightsofCydonia)

Firefly theme

I’ve only seen some of Firefly when I was flying either to or from Australia last year. This song is just such a perfect fit for the show, contrasting hopeful lyrics with a desolate, lonely tune+backing track, and it really does hit home as a song. This would score higher if there was a full version, but out of what I can find there are only extensions.

Martin

5th place - 8.1 (shubaka17)

Love Like You from Steven Universe

I have seen a grand total of 2 episodes of Steven Universe in my life, and that was when I was in Singapore when the other option was some shitty Chinese romcom. Anyway, this is nice; it has a very laid-back backing track, and the singer has a nice voice. I like the jazzy backing a lot even if doesn’t necessarily try to do much new stuff, and is the type of thing I would happily have playing in the background if I was doing something with my family just because it is uninvasive (and I LOVE uninvasive music).

Martin

4th place - 8.5 (Oddish.)

Sono Chi no Sadame (JJBA)

Yeah this is 100% pandering, but honestly I don’t even care enough to mark it down for it. Jojo music is great, this song is great, and it’s got an EPIC line to sing along to at the end of its chorus.

Martin

3rd place - 8.7 (Eagle4)

The Double theme

Everything about this piece of music is good. It is the type of thing where I feel my heart rate rising as it plays, and it leaves me feeling shaken almost. There is something unsettling about it that just really hits home for me, and it is a perfect example of how to use violins well for this medium. Very well done. The only real thing holding this back is memorability.

Martin

2nd place - 8.9 (Da Letter El)

Taneda Risa - Wareta Ringo (Shinsekai Yori)

Shinsekai Yori is a candidate for my favourite anime of all time, and I really love all of the show’s OST. The first ED of the show is not only immensely visually interesting, but it also has this stunning song played over the top of it, and it is one of the many things that makes the show memorable, from the great guitar at the start to the repeating sequence of notes in the chorus to the incredible rim beats and the eerie reversed guitar notes. I love this song.

Martin

1st place - 9.2 (Sam Testings)

FLIP FLAP FLIP FLAP

I *LOVE* FLIP FLAPPERS! I also love this song! While it certainly loses something without the Grimm’s fairy tale backdrop presented in the show, it makes up for it with its stunning number of key changes (I read somewhere that it changes key 42 times, which is just insane) and interesting, varying sound throughout to really stand out as a piece of music.

Martin

UNKNOWN PLACEMENT - 8.2 (Blazade)

To Zanarkand

This is very pretty. I’ve never played a Final Fantasy game in my life (I should probably do that at some point…), but this is the perfect example of how the main theme to something can work without being grand (like the main theme of Xenoblade Chronicles) or fast but instead taking a much more subtle, melodic route.

Martin

16th place
shubaka17
Rick Martin ft. Maluma - Vente Pa' Ca

I can't tell what it is about this I don't like it, but whatever it is is very noticable. This sound is just... eugh. I don't like it. Also it has one of those popular singing styles which I don't understand the popularity of at all.

Last edited:

Martin

15th place
vonFiedler
Latin Theme no. 4 (from The Sims)

I'm not sure whether this is a joke submission or whether it's trying to tie in with the theme of most of my walrus, but this isn't particularly bad. Just a bit... uninspiring; it's a piece of music written in the latin style, and you get exactly what you expect.

Martin

14th place
Steven Snype
Shakira - Chantaje

I've never liked this type of sound at all, and I still don't like it. Shakira has some songs that click with me, but this isn't one of them.

Last edited:

Martin

11th place
TMan87
Gloria Estefan - Conga

This is kinda latin funnily enough, but also kinda conga. This gets my head bobbing and my foot tapping, but that's about it. It gets tiring to listen to towards the end, ven if it's enjoyable particularly earlier on in the song.

Last edited:

Martin

10th place
KnightsofCydonia
Manu Chao - Me Llaman Calle

``This just clicks for me a lot better than some of the other stuff that has been submitted. The most important thing for a song to do is hold its listener's interest throughout, and this just manages to hold on throughout. Keyword: just.``

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)