Walrus I like media - Won by Blazade

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
P2X7 and KnightsofCydonia
One Winged Angel (Final Fantasy VII)

TBH this dupe is my fault for being a disorganised fuck. Not played any Final Fantasy, but I can instantly tell that this is either boss fight music or for some kind of dungeon (probably the former). It is great too! I miss the days when games still used these old-school sounds.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oddish.
Yuki Kajiura - Sis Puella Magica (Madoka Magica)

Now THIS is some of the better music on the Madoka OST. It perfectly captures the feel of the show and works as an excellent central theme. That said, Decretum and Symposium Magarum are still the best things on this show’s OST ahead of this in my opinion, with this coming behind a few other tracks too.

Martin

Granny Pie
Dialga’s Fight to the Finish (PMD: Explorers of Sky)

I have committed a mortal sin in that I have never played a PMD game. I know! I need to at least play the Explorers games! Anyway, from this I can tell that its music is spectacular. I love everything about this. Oh also I really like those old instruments that they use on old games consoles and think that they are a lost art.

Martin

TIED FIRST PLACE

Myzozoa
Green Bird (Cowboy Bebop)

Cardinal sin time: I’ve never watched Bebop. This is genuinely stellar though. I love this sound so much; it’s just beautiful.
Walrein
Laura Shigihara - Everything’s Alright (To The Moon)
This is exceptionally beautiful. I felt myself tearing up as I listened to it. Whether it is the beautiful, emotional piano, the beautiful lyricism, or the heartfelt lyrics, this song is just about perfect in my opinion. This has singlehandedly made me want to play To The Moon, and I feel like it will be able to really push out an emotional response from me in the same way that Anohana’s use of Secret Base does. This feels like perfect cut scene music, which I am assuming it is.

Last edited:

Martin

Eden's Embrace
Fly Me To The Moon versions 1-5 (from Neon Genesis Evangelion)

I like when anime uses English songs; SukaSuka with Scarborough Fair, Evangelion with this and Komm Süsser Todd etc. etc. This is good, although the fact that there are five of them (versions 3 and 4 being by Eva seiyuus) is a bit offputting for me when scoring for something like this, and I marked this down for this. If you had sent me version 3 or 4 on its own I would've probably scored this as a high 7.

Martin

Eagle4
Simple Song #3 (from Youth)

Yeah, simple is definitely the right word to describe this. I don't like this style of singing, and it is just so simple that I found myself getting bored. That isn't to say that the first half is terrible, just very average. That is, until the second half starts. I really like the second half of this; the singing becomes more beautiful and the violin line+rest of backing stops being boring. And then that dissonance at this end is just great. Scoring this was difficult.

Martin

shubaka17
You'll Be Back (from Hamilton)

``My apologies if this isn't the version you submitted; the thing was blocked in my country, and I left doing this kinda late due to having a load of other things on my plate over the past few days. This is good. It's not something I can imagine myself coming back to, but it's definitely not fucking horrendous like a lot of broadway music is (looking at you Wicked).``

Martin

Steven Snype
Taron Egerton - I'm Still Standing (from Sing)

This has an addictive feel-good sound to it, which I absolutely love. Between the stylish backing track and the positive lyrics, I can't help but find myself dancing along to it as I listen.

Martin

Walrein
Kitauji High School Concert Band - Crescent Moon Dance (from Hibike! Euphonium 2)

I feel like you took inspiration from me putting another Hibike performance in my examples lol. Anyway, I haven't seen season two of this show, but I love concert band music so much, in large part because I play the french horn in one (soon two). I also like this piece of music a lot. As such, it scores highly. Pretty simple.

Martin

Myzozoa
Georgia on my Mind (from House)

This has a nice sound to it. I like this style of piano a lot, and this doesn't fail to impress. The way the video you sent just kinda cuts off at the end feels kinda weird though, granted I didn't mark it down for this.

Martin

Da Letter El
ENOZ - God Knows (from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

I've never seen Haruhi (it's on my ptw for Soon(tm)), but I've heard this before and I loved it before the walrus. This is a good song.

Martin

Blazade
Final Duet (from The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks)

This is the only video game submission, so kudos on that. (I would've loved any of the 'magical instrument' music from this series btw: especially Bolero of Fire. Also wouldn't have minded the vocal version of Lon Lon Ranch.) This sounds really good tbh; Koji Kondo is such a great composer, and it really shows here. This sounds so fucking cool!

Martin

P2X7
The Trolley Song (from Meet Me In St. Louis)

I recognised this instantly, and I like this a lot. The backing is very interesting, the singing is good, and the song is great. I wish more people listened to pre-1960 music 'cause I honestly love it (and want ppl to give me reccs so that I don't have to go out of my way to find it :[)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)