Instacheck Hotspot -- a fast Pokémon checker for XY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
with thanks to Mat and xfr for research, Kazo for creating the original Trade Checker, and runxiadianqui and Chris Pietschmann for the Virtual Router Plus code.

If you played competitive VGC in the last generation, you probably heard of Pokécheck, a fake-GTS site which many players used to quickly check the details of their Pokémon. We may not have a Pokécheck for Gen 6 for quite some time, but until then Instacheck Hotspot will let us do the same for our Pokémon in X and Y.

How does it work?

Instacheck Hotspot uses your computer's wireless connection to create a wi-fi hotspot, which you must use to connect your 3DS to the internet. Your computer can then analyze all network traffic going to your 3DS, and find the data of all Pokémon shown or sent to you in a trade. Instacheck lets you view their details - even of unhatched eggs!

(Note: does not work for GTS trades, as the GTS is encrypted this generation.)

Download link
Download link for standalone Instacheck without integrated hotspot

Requirements
  • A computer running Windows Vista or later (XP has not been tested)
  • The computer must have an internet connection, and have a wi-fi connection not being used for internet. (A laptop with a wired connection not using its wi-fi adapter should work.)
  • WinPCap must be installed.
  • Microsoft .NET 3.5 or later must be installed. (You probably already have this if you're running Windows 7. If you've used RNG Reporter on your computer before, you definitely already have this.)
Note: Mac and Linux versions are in the works.

Installation Instructions
  • Install WinPCap if you haven't done so already.
  • Unzip InstacheckHotspot.zip and copy the files to a separate folder of your choice.
Usage
  • Run InstacheckHotspot.exe. This window should appear:

• In the Shared Connection box, select the network connection that provides your internet. If you are using a wired connection, this will probably "Local Area Connection".
  • Enter your desired network name and password, then click the "Start Hotspot" button.
  • Connect your 3DS to the newly created wi-fi hotspot.
  • Erase connection settings for any other nearby wi-fi connection your 3DS might attempt to connect to. If your 3DS connects to the wrong hotspot, Instacheck cannot check your Pokémon.
  • Once the hotspot is successfully created, click the "Start Instacheck" button. You'll see this window:

• In the box above the Start Scanning button, select the network adapter providing the wireless connection for your 3DS.
  • In your Pokémon game, connect to the internet.
  • Click the Start Scanning button. While scanning, Instacheck will automatically displays the stats of Pokémon that you are shown in a trade, or receive in a Wonder Trade.

Troubleshooting

My 3DS connects to the hotspot, but fails the connection test to the internet.

You may have selected the wrong Shared Connection - try again with a different one.

My 3DS is connected to the internet, and I'm trading but nothing is showing up.

First, check to see that you deleted all other connection settings from your 3DS system settings. You may be connecting to the wrong hotspot. If that is not the problem, try trading while scanning with all of the different network adapters. You may have selected the wrong one.

I clicked the Start Hotspot button but it tells me "Virtual Router Plus could not be started." It worked before, why isn't it working now?

This is a problem that, for now, requires you to reboot Windows. A better solution will be available later in the week.

My 3DS just disconnected from the hotspot and I tried to reconnect, but it isn't working.

One thing we've noticed is that if the 3DS disconnects from the hotspot, the hotspot MUST be restarted (just click the Stop Hotspot button) before the 3DS can connect to it again. We're not sure why, that's just how it works.

I am technologically inept and have no hope of ever getting this working.

Well, the good news for you is that you don't need to get the program working yourself in order to check your Pokémon. All you need to do is enter a trade with someone who does, and they can check your Pokémon for you. But please do try to get it working, so more people are available to help others.

Helpful Troubleshooting Guide By user: Pokemon Breeder Sophie

Step 1) Download and install WinPCap
If this fails or gives you an error, please see step #1A at the bottom of the post for NIC issues
Step 2) Download and unzip Instachecker

Step 3) Open the CMD prompt with administrator privileges.
Easiest way for Vista+7 users to do this is typing CMD into the search bar in the start menu. Windows 8 users just need to go to their main tile page and type CMD

Once you've open the command prompt you need to enable hosted networking by typing"
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow
****If you see anything other then whats below, please skip to step #1A at the bottom of the post

Step 4) Open Instachecker
Enter a Network Name (SSID) and a Password for the virtual network you'll be connecting your 3DS to. Where it says "Shared Connection" you'll want to ensure that you've choose whatever physical wireless adapter is called. See step #5 if you're unsure or can't locate it OR if you get an error
Then "Start Hotspot" you should get confirmation that this Virtual network is working,

Step 5) Verify network adapters are enabled
Use the same method to access the command prompt. Windows Vista+7 users please search for "NCPA.CPL" in the start bar, and Windows 8 users can just type that in the tile screen.

This will show you a list of your network adpaters. A succesful configuration will look exactly like mine. With both your physical and virtual networks enabled

If you do not see a "Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter" (I renamed mine 'Pokechecker' but as default it was called Wireless Network 2) then you'll need to right click on your physical wireless adparter and 'enable' it. A few moments after that the virtual network should appear. If not then you probably need to go back to Steps # 1 and # 3​

Step 6) Set-up and Connect on the 3DS

One thing to keep in mind while doing this, is you must have the Virtual network above your usual home wifi network on the connection list, or the 3DS will pick the wrong network. My home network is "SHAW-EE54BE" so I've placed PokeChecker above it.

If the test passes and connect to the Internet - Proceed to step # 7

If the test fails to connect to the access point - Verify the network is enabled in step # 6 then verify you entered in the right SSID / Password

If the test connects to the access point but not the Internet - This is usally caused by the scan being started early... so you weren't following my steps!! >:[ Just kidding! Try to connect again, if it fails twice please restart your computer and repeat steps # 4 (you may need to do #3 again if the hotspot gives you the error "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation")
Step 7) Load Pokemon and connect to the Internet

Step 8) Select your Virtual Network and "Start Scanning"

Step 9) Profit!
Start a trade and it should now be displaying the stats for any pokemon "shown" in a trade​

Step 1A) If you encounter any errors trying to enable hosted networks in the CMD prompt and you're sure you did it exactly as instructed, chances are good your wireless NIC does not support this feature. If you feel it worthwhile you can try to updated/reinstall your NIC driver encase it's just an error or out of date.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly this has similar hardware requirements as 5th gen emulator wifi?
If so I'll never get this to work for sure.

Or can I use the ''netsh wlan set hostednetwork''? gonna try.

I tried getting this to work but no matter what (I've reset like 3 times now) I get the "Virtual Router Plus could not be started." message. I'm running Windows Server 2012 and WinPCap and .NET 4.5 are installed. Oddly enough I see the "instacheck" wireless access point in my wifi settings but I can't connect to it.

Last edited:
Hey guys. Everything is working perfectly except that the network adaptor providing the wireless connection does not show up at all. This prevents me from starting the scan. Please help.

Can't connect to internet, and when I try local area connection, it says it can't be started.

just got it sweet gonna try it out

looking for people to check pokes with

Last edited:
I tried getting this to work but no matter what (I've reset like 3 times now) I get the "Virtual Router Plus could not be started." message. I'm running Windows Server 2012 and WinPCap and .NET 4.5 are installed. Oddly enough I see the "instacheck" wireless access point in my wifi settings but I can't connect to it.
I keep getting this problem too, I really want to try it out and help but it wont load up:[.

anyone else getting the problem "virtualrouterplus has stopped working"? this happens as soon as i start the application and i do not even see the first window

Is there any possible way to figure out IDs / IVs / etc. of your own Pokemon without initiating a trade with another party online? Or is that the only way to do so?

can someone please help im runing off A wireless network and i when i put it as a shared connection and try connect to the internet on my 2ds it dosent work please help now it also isnt connecting to the access point

Last edited:
try this go to control panel,network and internet,network and sharing center,to the left it should say change adapter settings there should be a connection being yours then another connection most likely with a 2 disable that connection then enable that connection and it should work. depending on the situation it might not work for everyone.

I've got 3 connections there. Local Area Connection(My main), Wirelss Network Connections and Wirless network connections 10. When I disable either of the wireless, my game goes offline.

I've got 3 connections there. Local Area Connection(My main), Wirelss Network Connections and Wirless network connections 10. When I disable either of the wireless, my game goes offline.
What do you have listed as the Instacheck Hotspot shared connection? Should be Ethernet...The program will create a virtual Local Area Connection appended with a number. After you select "start Instacheck" , select that virtual Local Area Connection...

Last edited:
try this go to control panel,network and internet,network and sharing center,to the left it should say change adapter settings there should be a connection being yours then another connection most likely with a 2 disable that connection then enable that connection and it should work. depending on the situation it might not work for everyone.
I don't see any extra connections...

Okay I found the problem. When it is blank, it's because WinPCap thinks it's installed, but it isnt. Here's how to install it.

1) Search for packet.dll on your computer

2) Delete it, requires admin power

3) If there is something using packet.dll, open Task Mangager, and Services tab, then stop the one that is using it

4) Run the WinPCap installer

5) ???

6) Profit!

Okay I found the problem. When it is blank, it's because WinPCap thinks it's installed, but it isnt. Here's how to install it.

1) Search for packet.dll on your computer

2) Delete it, requires admin power

3) If there is something using packet.dll, open Task Mangager, and Services tab, then stop the one that is using it

4) Run the WinPCap installer

5) ???

6) Profit!
Thanks this fixed the blank problem.

Other problems I encountered was
'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation'
To fix this:
1) Open an elevated Command Prompt window
2) type:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow

To open an elevated Command Prompt:
1. Right click desktop New>Shortcut
2. Type in location C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
3. Name it and finish
4. Run it

EDIT: there seems to be a time limit to long you can have it open, time to google more

Last edited:
I need some help here guys, I'm pretty much a tech inept person... I have a HP pavillion dm4 in hand right now, Win7, and I downloaded both wincap and Net but these were already installed...
I'm currently stuck here:

My 3DS connects to the hotspot, but fails the connection test to the internet.

You may have selected the wrong Shared Connection - try again with a different one.

Thing is, I don't have another shared connection!
I run Instacheck and the only shared connection I get is "Wireless Network Connection", I can run the hotspot and my 3DS connects to it and all but I can never get past the connection test.

I own 2 internet services(and therefore 2 modems) and I have a wire to connect my laptop to one of these modems, but the first post says that it shouldn't have access to internet, and it does.
Is my hotspot fine? I don't really know how do you tell if a laptop can setup a wireless network...
Or do I really need the modem without internet access(btw, how do I turn off the internet access on my modem, lol) to be connected?

I suck at this... sorry if this post doesn't belong here or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)