General Introduce yourself!

Hello there!
I am a student/martial arts enthusiast/wrestling and art fan/, etc, I love a lot of things, Pokemon is one of them a long with FGs, both of with I try to play competitive, so that's why I'm here, to learn more about the game, tactics, everything I can

I actually started playing competitive 4 years ago but have barely played these last 2 years so decided to join here, learn everything from start, hope I can have some good battles here and meet cool mates :D
Welcome dude enjoy your time on here!

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Hello there!
I am a student/martial arts enthusiast/wrestling and art fan/, etc, I love a lot of things, Pokemon is one of them a long with FGs, both of with I try to play competitive, so that's why I'm here, to learn more about the game, tactics, everything I can

I actually started playing competitive 4 years ago but have barely played these last 2 years so decided to join here, learn everything from start, hope I can have some good battles here and meet cool mates :D
Hi Unprettier, welcome to Smogon Forums! I started playing competitively myself around almost a year ago, and that was around the time I found Pokémon Showdown and Smogon. Both places really assisted me with competitive battling help, and helped me to enjoy it even more. I see that you are interested in Art and Wrestling! There are rooms on Pokémon Showdown for both of those topics. The Art room, which holds art contests and people can share their own artwork. There is also some Art threads here on the forums, where people express their creativity. Also, there is a Pro Wrestling room on Pokémon Showdown, where everyone talks about.. Wrestling, of course! Maybe you can visit these areas and you will enjoy yourself.

Welcome, and if you have any questions just shoot me a PM.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hello there!

Hi there! Welcome to the forums. I hope you're settling in well. A lot of people in the Smogon and Pokemon Showdown community are fond of martial arts and wrestling. You can usually hang out with them in the "Pro Wrestling" room on Pokemon Showdown, as well as the "Sports" room. In the aforementioned room, people can talk about various sports, ranging from Tennis to Swimming.
You can learn more about competitive battling through various ways. Let me go through them.
  • Battling 101: This is Smogon's tutoring programme. A new round happens every 4 weeks, and the latest round started a few days ago. Signups are open at 7pm EST / 00:00 GMT. Unfortunately, I missed it, but I'll definitely try next round.
  • Pokemon Showdown: Where best to practise competitive Pokemon on a competitive Pokemon simulator! Pokemon Showdown is home to many pro battlers, most of which you can find lurking on the ladder, and in tier rooms, such as OU, RU, NU, etc.
  • Smogdex: To help people that aren't familiar with competitive Pokemon, Smogon has analyses for Pokemon in various different tiers. For example, if you're new to OU, and you don't know what set to give Excadrill / what Excadrill is good for, just go here!
  • Youtube Channel: Smogon has a YouTube channel, and every now and then competitive videos based on a Pokemon or two are posted such as this one, which can also help you.
If you have any questions, just PM me, and I'll be happy to help.

Heyo! My name is Dazano, Gamer, History enthusiast and Twitch live streamer. I used to frequent smogon quite frequently but I took a break that lasted about 2 years.

I was really into competitive in 2013 and I look to become part of the smogon community as I'll practice a bit here before the farm league.

PS: How can I get on them fancy footers? xD

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Heyo! My name is Dazano, Gamer, History enthusiast and Twitch live streamer. I used to frequent smogon quite frequently but I took a break that lasted about 2 years.

I was really into competitive in 2013 and I look to become part of the smogon community as I'll practice a bit here before the farm league.

PS: How can I get on them fancy footers? xD
Hey Dazano, welcome to Smogon! I see you enjoy streaming! Luckily, there are places on Smogon Forums and on Pokémon Showdown for that. There is a Social Media room on Pokémon Showdown, and they do everything from YouTube, to other social media. On the forums, there is a forum dedicated to Social Media! You can find that thread located here.

I see you are also into competitive Pokémon, and there are places dedicated to that as well. The Competitive Discussion area located here talks about everything related to competitive Pokémon! There is even a Competitive Tutoring room on Pokémon Showdown's main server if you need assistance, and you can apply for a tutor in the Battling 101 program.

Hope you enjoy it here, PM me with further questions!

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Heyo my name is RJ and I'm 15 years old. My favorite pokemon is Gogoat and my favorite tier is Doubles OU

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Quick question, how do I make a footer/banner?
If by footer / banner, you mean signature, you can hover over your name, and in the dropdown menu, "signature" will appear and you can change it. However, if you mean a general banner, then you can use different software online.

Heyo my name is RJ and I'm 15 years old. My favorite pokemon is Gogoat and my favorite tier is Doubles OU
Hey, TheNapkinLord11! Welcome to Smogon! I hope you're having a great time on the forums :)

Doubles OU is a very common tier played, and you can find plenty of resources both here and on Pokemon Showdown - you should check them out. There's a "Smogon Doubles" room on Showdown, and there's also a discussion thread here on the forums. You could join the discussion there, and maybe meet some friends that play the same tier/s as you.

Gogoat is a pretty neat mon - sadly, I never got round to play XY, but if I did, I'd definitely catch it :]

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or deetah, and I'm sure both of us will be able to help you!

Last edited:
Hi. Posting here because I read the guideline sticky at the bottom of this subforum and figured it was ok to make a thread in the PU competitive subforum because I didn't see whether it is okay or not outlined in that sticky. Also because I had the ability to create a new thread there, but it was locked, so I have no idea where to make a discussion thread for that. Can someone help please?

Also considering that, why are random people allowed to make threads if they have to be 'allowed' by staff? Why not just have staff open all the threads? Seems pretty silly.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hi. Posting here because I read the guideline sticky at the bottom of this subforum and figured it was ok to make a thread in the PU competitive subforum because I didn't see whether it is okay or not outlined in that sticky. Also because I had the ability to create a new thread there, but it was locked, so I have no idea where to make a discussion thread for that. Can someone help please?

Also considering that, why are random people allowed to make threads if they have to be 'allowed' by staff? Why not just have staff open all the threads? Seems pretty silly.
Hey there :)

Uh, since this is more of a question that an introduction, I feel that it would be much more suitable if this was posted in the 'Simple Questions, Simple Answers' thread of the sub-forum you wanted to make a thread in. Also, I personally believe it's redundant to make a discussion thread in the PU sub-forum because I'm sure there is already in. However, you can check this with the Leader / Co-Leader of the PU tier (they have a ribbon under their name stating that), and wait for their reply.

As for your second question, you can make a thread. On the other hand, if it doesn't meet the requirements of a thread / there is already a thread for that, etc, then staff will have to lock it.

If you have any questions regarding this, ask it in the SQSA thread, or speak to a member of staff.

Have a nice day, and enjoy your time at Smogon :]

edit:
PU Rules said:
..please PM a moderator before making a discussion thread...

Last edited:
Hello there!

Name's Divizoro, but my pals call me Divi (shocking right?). I just started taking Pokémon seriously and I want to start playing competitively to test my new team out that I've recently created. I have only just started to learn about EV training, breeding, IV's and all that malarkey so I'm still learning how to perfect my team and start winning some battles for a change :D
You don't have to guess what my favourite Pokémon is of course (check out that sexy profile pic c;). My favourite game is probably Platinum, as it's the first Pokémon game I really got into, I had Ruby before that but I was fairly hopeless when I played that as a child xD Now though, I'm rockin' my new 3DS and Alpha Sapphire and loving it more than ever!
I'm looking for some advice on how to improve on my team, or if it's just my playstyle that's letting me down. I've played roughly 10 online battles with passers by and won about half of them so I'm fairly satisfied with that, considering I've only just finished making my first ever EV trained team.
Anyway, I could go on for hours but I'll leave it there (I'll be happily surprised if you've actually read this far! Kudos on putting up with my rambling xD).
I hope to make some good friends here and look forward to my time on Smogon.

Take care!

~Divi

hello! I am not the moderator that locked your thread but I am the PU tier leader and your thread was locked for not following the rule that every thread needs to be approved. I suggest you to reelaborate your thoughts and post them in the metagame discussion thread here http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-pu-stage-6-spread-eagle-across-the-block.3560703/

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hello there!

Name's Divizoro, but my pals call me Divi (shocking right?). I just started taking Pokémon seriously and I want to start playing competitively to test my new team out that I've recently created. I have only just started to learn about EV training, breeding, IV's and all that malarkey so I'm still learning how to perfect my team and start winning some battles for a change :D
You don't have to guess what my favourite Pokémon is of course (check out that sexy profile pic c;). My favourite game is probably Platinum, as it's the first Pokémon game I really got into, I had Ruby before that but I was fairly hopeless when I played that as a child xD Now though, I'm rockin' my new 3DS and Alpha Sapphire and loving it more than ever!
I'm looking for some advice on how to improve on my team, or if it's just my playstyle that's letting me down. I've played roughly 10 online battles with passers by and won about half of them so I'm fairly satisfied with that, considering I've only just finished making my first ever EV trained team.
Anyway, I could go on for hours but I'll leave it there (I'll be happily surprised if you've actually read this far! Kudos on putting up with my rambling xD).
I hope to make some good friends here and look forward to my time on Smogon.

Take care!

~Divi
Hey there! Welcome to Smogon, Divizoro! c:
I really hope you've been enjoying competitive Pokemon; it's so fun, and there's a lot to know, but as long as you enjoy it, anything is possible. It's great that you're learning the basics - that's the best way to start your journey into competitive battling. There are lots of roads to take after you learn and understand the basics. You can either go straight into battling, if you're more confident, or you can lurk around the forums, find a tier you enjoy playing (eg: Ubers (legendaries are allowed), LC (baby Pokemon) or Other Metagames (tiers with a twist!)), and hang out in the discussion thread for that tier.

And by looking at your profile, I'm guessing your favourite Pokemon is... Magikarp Garchomp, right? My first game wasn't Platinum, but I did play it. I think it was a much better improvement to Diamond and Pearl, because on thing that really annoyed me in D + P was the the battle banners (screenshot below to explain what I mean) because they were so blurry! It didn't seem really fun, but I was glad that they made it better quality in the following games. My first game, in fact, was Pokemon Emerald / Platinum / Ruby. I had nothing better to do, so I played them all many, many times. Because I was such a terrible battler then, I used cheats to level up my Pokemon to Level 80 before the second gym, and I just swept through the entire game in like a few hours.

For advice on your team, you are most welcome to visit the RMT Forums and submit your team there. However, make sure you read the rules before posting your RMT there. I'll just go through them very quickly to save you time from having to find the thread. You need to include 3-4 lines of description for each mon, post a completed team, and make it readable, so the raters can easily understand it.

If you ever need help with building a Pokemon team, you can check out the Smogdex for standard sets which can help you a lot. You can also PM me if you have any questions, and I'm sure I'll be able to help you. You can also PM deetah, and she'll be able to help you if I'm not online. Good Luck, and I hope you enjoy your times on the forum! n_n

Edit: lmao forgot to include the screenshot..by banners I meant

Last edited:
Hey there! Welcome to Smogon, Divizoro! c:
I really hope you've been enjoying competitive Pokemon; it's so fun, and there's a lot to know, but as long as you enjoy it, anything is possible. It's great that you're learning the basics - that's the best way to start your journey into competitive battling. There are lots of roads to take after you learn and understand the basics. You can either go straight into battling, if you're more confident, or you can lurk around the forums, find a tier you enjoy playing (eg: Ubers (legendaries are allowed), LC (baby Pokemon) or Other Metagames (tiers with a twist!)), and hang out in the discussion thread for that tier.

And by looking at your profile, I'm guessing your favourite Pokemon is... Magikarp Garchomp, right? My first game wasn't Platinum, but I did play it. I think it was a much better improvement to Diamond and Pearl, because on thing that really annoyed me in D + P was the the battle banners (screenshot below to explain what I mean) because they were so blurry! It didn't seem really fun, but I was glad that they made it better quality in the following games. My first game, in fact, was Pokemon Emerald / Platinum / Ruby. I had nothing better to do, so I played them all many, many times. Because I was such a terrible battler then, I used cheats to level up my Pokemon to Level 80 before the second gym, and I just swept through the entire game in like a few hours.

For advice on your team, you are most welcome to visit the RMT Forums and submit your team there. However, make sure you read the rules before posting your RMT there. I'll just go through them very quickly to save you time from having to find the thread. You need to include 3-4 lines of description for each mon, post a completed team, and make it readable, so the raters can easily understand it.

If you ever need help with building a Pokemon team, you can check out the Smogdex for standard sets which can help you a lot. You can also PM me if you have any questions, and I'm sure I'll be able to help you. You can also PM deetah, and she'll be able to help you if I'm not online. Good Luck, and I hope you enjoy your times on the forum! n_n
Hey Sobi! c:

First of all, thanks for taking the time to reply :D Yes, Margikarp is definitely my favourite Pokémon c;
If it's not too much hassle, could you explain to me what OU, UU and all of those mean? I've read about them but I don't really understand... (probably just me being dense xD). I have a Mega Gengar in my team and Greninja but apparently they are banned in OU, does that mean I cannot battle online with them or is that just for tournaments? Not sure if I'm allowed to ask this kind of question here, but I wasn't sure how else to contact you directly :P
Thanks again!

deetah

Bright like a diamond
GP & SocMed Lead
Hey Sobi! c:

First of all, thanks for taking the time to reply :D Yes, Margikarp is definitely my favourite Pokémon c;
If it's not too much hassle, could you explain to me what OU, UU and all of those mean? I've read about them but I don't really understand... (probably just me being dense xD). I have a Mega Gengar in my team and Greninja but apparently they are banned in OU, does that mean I cannot battle online with them or is that just for tournaments? Not sure if I'm allowed to ask this kind of question here, but I wasn't sure how else to contact you directly :P
Thanks again!
Hello Divizoro, welcome! If you would like, I can PM you and I can explain to you and show you a few links on what OU, UU, etc, mean so I can help you understand. Also, since Mega Gengar and Greninja are Ubers Pokémon, you can use them in the Ubers tier. I can also explain more about this in PMs. If you ever need to contact someone on Smogon, just click on their name, and press Start A Conversation to get started with PMs!

Hello! I'm new to the site(as a member at least, I've been using the site ever since i got into competitive battling) and just wanted to say that I'm excited to join such a huge and diverse community! looking forward to coming up with/learning about some interesting and creative builds!

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hey Sobi! c:

Thanks again!
http://www.smogon.com/dex/bw/formats/ Check out this link for description on different tiers. Also, when playing a tier, you can't use any Pokemon in the tier above it. So for example, in OU, you can use any Pokémon from that tier and below, but you can't use any Pokémon from any tier above it which is why Greninja is banned.

http://www.smogon.com/dex/bw/formats/ Check out this link for description on different tiers. Also, when playing a tier, you can't use any Pokemon in the tier above it. So for example, in OU, you can use any Pokémon from that tier and below, but you can't use any Pokémon from any tier above it which is why Greninja is banned.
Ok so this is all of the Pokémon that are allowed in OU, and are the only ones that can be used for it? Or are they just the best ones?

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Ok so this is all of the Pokémon that are allowed in OU, and are the only ones that can be used for it? Or are they just the best ones?
Yes, they are the only OU Pokémon. However, they are from BW, so, at the top of the page, change it to XY and you'll see the latest list of OU Pokémon, rules, and bans.

Hey.
Im BigBluBrain.
I'm new to Smogon, old to Pokemon, the first game I played was Red version on my dads old Gameboy. I've been playing X/Y WiFi battles for a long time but gave it up as it was very rare to find an actual challenge, I would rather lose to someone with skill than win against someone with less experience. Plus not being able to speak with your opponent made it kind of a shallow experience.
I've been playing around in team builder for a few days now, mostly tweaking my gen 1 team but i'm slowly deciding what to use in the current game.
I've never really had a favorite Pokemon, but I based my X/Y team around sticky web Galvantula and it kind of stuck with me.
Going forward I may need advice on whats really effective and what i think is effective as I do go for perceived strength over actual strength.
Any help with competitive team building is appreciated, going to go explore the forums now.
Cheers ;)

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hey.
Im BigBluBrain.
I'm new to Smogon, old to Pokemon, the first game I played was Red version on my dads old Gameboy. I've been playing X/Y WiFi battles for a long time but gave it up as it was very rare to find an actual challenge, I would rather lose to someone with skill than win against someone with less experience. Plus not being able to speak with your opponent made it kind of a shallow experience.
I've been playing around in team builder for a few days now, mostly tweaking my gen 1 team but i'm slowly deciding what to use in the current game.
I've never really had a favorite Pokemon, but I based my X/Y team around sticky web Galvantula and it kind of stuck with me.
Going forward I may need advice on whats really effective and what i think is effective as I do go for perceived strength over actual strength.
Any help with competitive team building is appreciated, going to go explore the forums now.
Cheers ;)
Welcome to Smogon, BigBluBrain! I hope you've enjoyed your time on the forums so far! There's so much to explore here, so I can guarantee you there will definitely be somewhere you best fit in, be it the competitive forums, the art forums, or the development forums.

Sticky Web Galvantula is a very common moveset people use, and you can check out other sets on the Smogon analysis page. If you need help with your Gen 1 team, there are lots of things you can do - let me quickly summarise them.
  • Pokemon Showdown
    • You can go to the Old Gens room where there will be battlers of previous gens.
    • You can go to the Competitive Tutoring / RMT room where your team will be rated.
  • Smogon Forums
    • You can go to the RMT Forums -> Old Gens teams (or something like that) -> make a new thread -> team.
Just make sure that you read the RMT Rules before making your thread. Otherwise, your thread will be locked by a member of staff. I'd say more, but I need to go now! I hope you settle in well! Good luck, and have fun! If you have any questions, just PM me! :]

Hello fellow pokémaniacs, i'm Giuseppe from Italy, 26 years old.
The first Pokémon game ever owned was crystal version but i played a lot with yellow a couple years before. I've grown with every gender of Pokémon ; games , anime, cards , cereal and stuff. After crystal i was too poor to purchase new console but in 2012 i had the opportunity to play soul silver and i fell in love totally with Pokémon again. Then i played Yellow/crystal and emerald version and i stopped to be a genwunner. Last year i played Platinum , black and white 1&2 and bought the 3ds with alpha sapphire. I really enjoyed every single games in different ways and for different reason and i was able to complete the pokédex for the first time in my life (i miss only genesect and meloetta).
For me Pokémon is not only an entertainment , it helped me to hold on and pass struggle moments and its soundtracks pushed me to become a musician.
sorry for the bad english... but not so bad after all, isn't it?
Thank for the attention , see ya in the forums ;)

Phantom Me

Banned deucer.
Hi everyone and my name is Wasee. When I first played Pokemon Black, I thought it isn't that much of a game. But I soon started loving it. Thus I've came to Smogon to learn more about competitive battling. I hope I can have lots of friends. Be seeing you in the forums.

Hi guys
I am nabeel,
This community forum so much helping me enjoy my favourite game
Then I hope i can enjoy it more after i join in this community forum
Nice to meet u all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)