SM OU Introduction

Greetings.

I know I literally joined Smogon today, but the reason why I lurked all the way to RMT forums is because...

* I felt like I needed to officially introduce myself before recklessly bumping onto OU thread.
* I wanted to see where I am as a user who plays OU.
* I wanted to see if the way I build teams are right.

Hopefully people who manage to read this will understand me better, so with that said, please allow me to introduce my team:

What you would expect to see in Team Preview:

Landorus-T / Zygarde / Ferrothorn / Keldeo / Mega Charizard Y / Marowak-A​

Teambuilding Process:

Most of the teams I build are around something can demolish balance teams, since they are the most prevalent in ladder (in my perspective). In this team the team is built around Mega Charizard Y which is able to dent or KO anything that is not called Toxapex and Chansey.

Every competitive teams need Stealth Rock users and this team is no exception. Landorus-T was the next Pokemon I have added and I personally really like the role compression it offers; it sets Stealth Rock for the team, can pivot out from forced switches and bring in teammates in safety, handles the most dangerous threats like Mega Charizard X which will set up on my Mega Charizard Y, and making Tapu Koko think twice before pressing Thunderbolt simply by existing.

I have decided to slap in another hazard setter so Mega Charizard Y can 2HKO its checks by putting them under the range with Spikes. Physically defensive Toxapex falls to two consecutive Fire Blast after a Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes. Ferrothorn also acts as a solid check to would-be-dangerous-sweepers such as Ash-Greninja, Manaphy, Tapu Koko / Lele, and Magearna, assuming they don't carry Hidden Power Fire.

I have noticed that my team is quite slow, and it will perform bad against fast teams. Choice Scarf user was what I decided to look for. I have tried Choice Scarf Greninja as a revenge killer but it generally lacked power. Keldeo turned out to be much better alternate because it can switch in / revenge kill non-Psychic Volcarona as well as handling any fast attackers that has weakness to Hydro Pump and Secret Sword.

Next up is a setup sweeper that will massively benefit from Ferrothorn's Spikes and Mega Charizard Y's ability to tear down defensive backbones. Dragon Dance Zygarde is always great; it was pretty solid Pokemon I could add due to it hitting everything neutrally with Thousand Arrows and having some use against offensive teams thanks to Extreme Speed.

Something that would break through my team are Kartana, Kyurem-B with Hidden Power Fire, or Thunderbolt + Ice Beam Magearna with Focus Blast or Hidden Power Fire which breaks my Ferrothorn. Marowak-A is a soft check to all these threats. It also handles Zapdos which is bothersome for my whole team due to Discharge, Heat Wave, and Hidden Power Ice hitting the rest of my team supereffectively.

Teammate by Teammate:

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Defog
- U-turn

This Pokemon shouldn't need much explanation. It sets Stealth Rock, checks physical attackers, and generates momentum. 252 HP / 232 Def works but as I read through other RMT's, it turned out Landorus-T will have better bulk if EV's are dumped into Defense. 232 HP also keeps Landorus-T's HP at multiples of 16 plus 1 (377), which maximizes efficiency of Leftovers while minimizing any form of residual damage caused by Stealth Rock, status, and others. Mega Charizard Y appreciates Landorus-T's ability to naturally draw in the likes of Skarmory and Celesteela.

Other Options:

Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit Garchomp, Salamence, Dragonite, Zygarde, and opposing Landorus-T, but my team needs a Defog user and this is indispensable option when Mega Charizard Y and Marowak-A needs Stealth Rock off the field.

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed

This should be very standard Dragon Dance Zygarde set. The reason why Groudium Z is used over Dragonium Z is because of the rest of my team's ability to handle the likes of Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, and Buzzwole all of which Devastating Drake is aimed to. Tectonic Rage from Zygarde allows to break past Ferrothorn, Tapu Fini, and most importantly, Unaware Clefable.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 208 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

As mentioned, Ferrothorn serves as excellent check to Ash-Greninja, or anything else that doesn't carry Hidden Power Fire and can't hit Ferrothorn hard enough. Spikes support helps Zygarde and Mega Charizard Y to break through its checks, Leech Seed + Leftovers is the only way for Ferrothorn to stay healthy, Power Whip lets Ferrothorn check Greninja while not being passive to Tapu Fini, and Knock Off helps me scout potential Z-crystals while not letting Heatran come in for free. 4 Speed EV makes sure I outspeed Mega Sableye and 2HKO it when it switches in, but it has no other use.

Other Options:

Thunder Wave can work but this is only effective when Ferrothorn is dedicated to stop physical attackers, which it can't do with the given EV spread.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge

Premier revenge killer for my team. The moveset should be self-explanatory for most of those who sees this. Scald burn is hazardous to its checks barring Tapu Fini, and Stone Edge only exists to hit Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

This set is also very standard. Fire Blast is chosen over Flamethrower to secure OHKO / 2HKO's against the majority of the Pokemon in OU, Solar Beam makes sure Water-types don't wall Charizard, Focus Blast punishes Heatran and Tyranitar, and Roost makes sure Charizard stays healthy and does its job as wallbreaker with increased longevity.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp

Soft check to Zapdos, Kyurem-B lacking Earth Power, Kartana without Night Slash, and Magearna. It also does nice job cutting off Volt Switch from Tapu Koko and Magearna. EV spread makes sure Marowak can switch into Stealth Rock four times while 4 Speed EV lets it outspeed other Marowak and avoid Speed ties. Marowak's STAB is pretty good on its own so it needs only two attacking moves to have offensive presence. The first two moves are STAB's, Swords Dance lets it break through defensive teams or Pokemon it can otherwise not break, while Will-O-Wisp punishes Tyranitar, Zygarde, Garchomp, or Landorus-T, should they attempt to switch into Marowak.

Threatlist:

Set Stealth Rock, as early as possible. Do the best to pressure Defog users.
This is all I can say against matchup with teams with Mega Pinsir and Dragonite. None of my team resists Flying so if I give Swords Dance in a wrong turn, Pinsir can wipe out my entire team at an instant. Landorus-T doesn't have anything in particular to hit it so I have to pressure it as much as possible. Once I lose momentum... I guess that is a loss. This thing really makes me want to get Rock Tomb on Landorus-T, but that means it has to give up on Defog or U-turn.

I am pretty sure this thing is a threat to any teams without Mega Scizor. My whole team is vulnerable to Mamoswine. Ferrothorn has a chance to be 2HKO'd by Life Orb variants. The best way to deal with Mamoswine is applying pressure and wearing down it with Stealth Rock and Spikes. At least Keldeo and Mega Charizard Y can come out and revenge kill it.

There are much more threats than the ones listed above, but I am not aware of them too much so please feel free to point them out.

Offensive Pressure
Because my Defog user isn't consistent, hazard-stacking teams will be a trouble for my team. Spikes wear down Keldeo and Ferrothorn quickly while Stealth Rock is a pain for Charizard and Marowak. Toxapex can burn or poison Landorus-T on switch while spamming Toxic Spikes whenever it can.

Closing:

Some might say the team is too standard, but this is the best team I have that I want to share. Also after all, this is RMT, and I want feedbacks. Even if the fixation will require replacement of main core, it is okay with me as long as the team will end up solid. Thanks for reading and I look forward to feedbacks.

Good riddance about that Naganadel.

Last edited:

Teclis

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hello ! Your team is, as you said, quite standard and definitly cool, but I have a few advices to make it even better.

• First, about Landorus-Therian. Running Defog and Stealth Rock on the same Pokémon is a bit suboptimal, especially if you consider that Mega Charizard Y has a x4 weakness. While I agree that Landorus-Therian utility and ability to gain momentum for your Mega Evolution if a plus for your team, I think you should be playing Hidden Power Ice > Defog on it, order to help you to deal with opposing Landorus-T, which are common Rockers. You are loosing your Hazard remover, but I will continue later on this point.
  • Since using classic Pokémons does not seem to bother you that much, I advise you to replace Zygarde and Marowak-A by the classic Excadrill + Band Tyranitar Sand core. Why do you ask ? Because a Steelium-Z Excadrill would fulfil Zygarde's role as a set-up sweeper able to hit hard enough if needed, but also gives you another decent win condition against offensive teams. Excadrill would also give you a form of Hazard Control by being able to Spin opposing Hazards, which allow you to keep yours in order to weaken the opposing team as planned in your original team without having to loose 50% of Charizard's life each time it is coming. Choice Band Tyranitar is a good partner for both Charizard and Excadrill, being able to trap Pokémons like Chansey, Latios or Blacephalon and also hitting hard enough on the physical side to prepare a Drill's sweep.
Here is the updated version of your team (with a minor change on Landorus' spread):

Hope I helped, have a nice day on Smogon !

Thanks for the feedback. I have couple questions about the new team:

* The new team looks like it is bothered a lot by Rotom-W. It will at least leave a burn on Ferrothorn while offensive variants with Choice Scarf or HP Fire can dent or make Ferrothorn useless which is practically my only switch-in.
* Zapdos is a huge hassle for me too. I understand Choice Band Tyranitar can punish it but defensive Zapdos only falls into range of +2 Iron Head from Excadrill if hit by BP 80 Pursuit and Stealth Rock, if it switches to Excadrill on Swords Dance.

Teclis

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Thanks for the feedback. I have couple questions about the new team:

* The new team looks like it is bothered a lot by Rotom-W. It will at least leave a burn on Ferrothorn while offensive variants with Choice Scarf or HP Fire can dent or make Ferrothorn useless which is practically my only switch-in.
* Zapdos is a huge hassle for me too. I understand Choice Band Tyranitar can punish it but defensive Zapdos only falls into range of +2 Iron Head from Excadrill if hit by BP 80 Pursuit and Stealth Rock, if it switches to Excadrill on Swords Dance.
No one plays Scarf or HP Fire on Rotom-Wash once the low ladder passed, so I don't think it is that much of an issue. To deal with Zapdos that's pretty much what you said, you can pressure it with Tyranitar being able to easily come in and hit either a Pursuit or a Stone Edge. It will also struggle with its Lefties being Knocked Off by Ferrothorn in most of the scenarios.

Sorry to bother you again, but the team turned out to have no answers against Hawlucha. Do you have any solution for this?

Teclis

PS Admin
Sorry to bother you again, but the team turned out to have no answers against Hawlucha. Do you have any solution for this?
I should be the one to apologize. At a glance, you could try Choice Scarf Tapu Koko over Scarf Keldeo. It gives you a correct revengekiller and another pivot able to bring ZardY in which is also good to have; just use this set..

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Hidden Power Ice
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

..and tell me if it is better.

I should be the one to apologize. At a glance, you could try Choice Scarf Tapu Koko over Scarf Keldeo. It gives you a correct revengekiller and another pivot able to bring ZardY in which is also good to have; just use this set..

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Hidden Power Ice
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

..and tell me if it is better.
This has been pretty good! Another pokemon to pressure Zapdos and generate momentum is something that my team appreciates a lot. Temorary immunity to Sleep is also good too. But one last thing, why is this used over special koko?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)