Battle Spot Landorus-T [Singles]

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
[OVERVIEW]

Landorus-T is a versatile threat in the Battle Spot Singles metagame capable of functioning as glue for many teams. Its Intimidate ability and huge Attack stat allow it to function as an effective pivot with a Choice Scarf, while its decent bulk allows it to fill a more defensive role as a Stealth Rock setter or Assault Vest tank. Landorus-T's typing also gives it useful immunities in Ground and Electric, which help it switch into numerous threats and take advantage of Intimidate. Said typing can be easily exploited due to its huge Ice weakness, though, and Landorus-T's average Speed leaves it easily revenge killed when without a Choice Scarf. Landorus-T also competes with Garchomp as an offensive Ground-type, though Landorus-T's typing often makes it the preferred choice in the current metagame.

[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Rock Tomb
move 4: Knock Off
item: Assault Vest
ability: Intimidate
nature: Adamant
evs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 4 Def / 220 SpD / 28 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Earthquake is Landorus-T's strongest STAB move, granting great power and neutral coverage.
* U-turn allows Landorus-T to maintain momentum after switching into attacks by safely bringing its teammate in.
* Rock Tomb hits Flying-types that Landorus-T can't touch otherwise and provides useful speed control that can allow Landorus-T to beat otherwise faster foes.
* Knock Off provides useful utility in removing the foe's item, which takes advantage of the switches Landorus-T often forces.

Set Details
========

* Assault Vest allows Landorus-T to function as a tank, giving it special bulk to complement the Intimidate support it provides.
* An Adamant nature is used over bulk-improving natures because the boost in Attack is more significant than a boost in any other stat, even without heavy Attack investment.
* The EV spread minimizes the chance of being 2HKOed by Tapu Lele's Psychic under Psychic Terrain, while the Speed allows Landorus-T to outspeed Nihilego after Rock Tomb. The remaining EVs are placed in Attack to give Earthquake more power and ensure Earthquake will 2HKO Garchomp.

Usage Tips
========

* This Landorus-T is meant to switch in on and tank attacks from special attackers and is generally used as glue on teams that need something that can pivot into numerous threats.
* While the Assault Vest lets Landorus-T check Electric-types running Hidden Power Ice more effectively, avoid taking such a hit if there are other safe options because this wears Landorus-T down very quickly.
* Landorus-T lacks any form of passive recovery, so be careful about switching it in often if you need it to check a specific threat.
* Leading with Landorus-T is acceptable if it isn't needed to check any particular threat, since this can allow it to bluff a Choice Scarf set and force a switch.

Team Options
========

* Steel-types such as Mega Metagross, Aegislash, and Ferrothorn can handle Ice-type moves that threaten Landorus-T while benefiting from Landorus-T's Ground immunity and Fighting resistance.
* Bulky Water-types such as Tapu Fini and Primarina can handle Ice- and Water-type moves aimed at Landorus-T, while Landorus-T checks most Electric-types for them.
* Landorus-T pairs well with Electric-types such as Tapu Koko because they form a VoltTurn core, with Landorus-T switching into Ground-type moves that threaten them while having a teammate that can handle Water-types as well as Celesteela and Skarmory.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 3: Rock Slide / Stone Edge / Rock Tomb
move 4: Knock Off / Superpower
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Earthquake is Landorus-T's primary STAB move, granting great power and neutral coverage that it can use to clean late-game.
* U-turn allows Landorus-T to maintain momentum after switching in and escape bad matchups.
* Rock Slide allows Landorus-T to hit Flying-types that otherwise can switch safely into it and fish for flinches as a last resort.
* Stone Edge is more powerful than Rock Slide, which is useful for getting an OHKO on offensive Thundurus variants and hitting Zapdos harder, but its accuracy makes it a less reliable sweeping option.
* Rock Tomb is a more accurate alternative to Rock Slide, but the power difference makes it less reliable as a cleaning tool late-game. However, the Speed drop can be useful for preventing the likes of Salamence and Mega Charizard X from setting up safely.
* Knock Off is often not a good move to lock into, but it provides great utility against an anticipated switch.
* Superpower hits Ferrothorn and bulky Normal-types such as Mega Kangaskhan and Snorlax.

Set Details
========

* Choice Scarf allows Landorus-T to function as a revenge killer and maintain momentum against faster teams.
* An Adamant nature is used to give Landorus-T as much power as possible so that it can more reliably clean late-game. However, Landorus-T sits at a crowded Speed tier, so it can run Jolly to creep above the likes of Modest Volcarona, Naive Pheromosa, and Adamant Mega Charizard X.
* The EV spread maximizes Landorus-T's power while making it as fast as possible in order to effectively utilize its Choice Scarf.

Usage Tips
========

* Leading with Landorus-T is often safe due to its high Speed and Intimidate ability, making it easier to escape bad matchups with U-turn.
* Saving Landorus-T is also a viable plan against teams that lack many Ground-resistant Pokemon, since it can more easily find opportunities to clean up with Earthquake.
* As a revenge killer, Landorus-T should often come in after a teammate is KOed to shift momentum back in your favor, even if it means using U-turn to switch back out.
* Landorus-T has no entirely safe move to lock into, so be careful when choosing a move other than U-turn. Superpower in particular is risky because the Attack drops can quickly turn Landorus-T into setup bait. If the opposing team has a large number of Ground-resistant Pokemon, it may be better to not bring Landorus-T at all.
* While Landorus-T has a huge Attack stat, avoid bringing it when against bulkier teams because bulkier Pokemon can more effectively punish locking Landorus-T into the wrong move.

Team Options
========

* Landorus-T fits well on teams that struggle with the many Electric-types in the metagame as well as other fast threats such as Mega Gengar and Mega Lucario.
* While Landorus-T boasts huge Attack, it has trouble breaking through physical walls due to its inability to boost or switch moves, so wallbreakers like Tapu Lele and Mega Charizard Y are effective teammates.
* Steel-types such as Mega Metagross and Aegislash can handle Ice-type moves that threaten Landorus-T, while Landorus-T can switch into Ground-type moves that trouble them.
* Water-types such as Tapu Fini and Mega Gyarados benefit from having a teammate to handle Electric-types and are able to switch into Ice-type moves that trouble Landorus-T.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 3: Stealth Rock / Knock Off
move 4: Knock Off / Rock Tomb
item: Rocky Helmet
nature: Impish
evs: 236 HP / 244 Def / 28 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Team Options
========

* Earthquake is Landorus-T's strongest STAB move, providing great neutral coverage and consistent power.
* U-turn allows Landorus-T to pivot out after setting Stealth Rock up, which is important because Landorus-T's lack of coverage and power can make it a liability against some foes.
* Stealth Rock provides useful support for offensive teammates by breaking Focus Sash and punishing threats like Volcarona and Charizard.
* Knock Off provides utility by removing the foe's item, which takes advantage of switches and gives Landorus-T a way to disrupt foes even in a disadvantageous matchup.
* Rock Tomb provides speed control and hits Flying-types directly, which can shift momentum in Landorus-T's favor and prevents Landorus-T from relying on Stealth Rock to threaten Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y.

Set Details
========

* Rocky Helmet is the preferred item because it lets Landorus-T punish physical attackers further, chipping away at them and making Landorus-T more potent upon switching into a contact move.
* An Impish nature is preferred to make Landorus-T as physically bulky as possible so that it can set Stealth Rock up and disrupt the opponent for as long as possible.
* The EV spread maximizes Landorus-T's bulk while ensuring it can outspeed everything up to Nihilego after a Rock Tomb. The Speed also allows Landorus-T to outspeed neutral Tyranitar.

Usage Tips
========

* Landorus-T's primary goal is usually to set Stealth Rock up as soon as possible, and its physical bulk allows it to at least use Stealth Rock against most physical attackers. Setting Stealth Rock up can sometimes give the foe a free turn, though, so avoid doing so if the opposing team isn't hindered much by the entry hazard's presence.
* Avoid switching Landorus-T into many attacks unless it's absolutely necessary. Its lack of recovery means it must be played very carefully so that it can still check physical attackers later in the game.
* While setting Stealth Rock up early is important, saving Landorus-T for later in the game is acceptable if its ability to switch into physical attackers is more valuable.
* This Landorus-T lacks the same offensive presence that other sets have, so don't let it stay in too long against teams that can take advantage of it and set up. This also makes it a poor choice against defensive teams because it lacks the power to break through them.

Team Options
========

* Defensive Landorus-T lacks offensive presence despite its high base Attack, so it should be paired with more offensive teammates such as Tapu Koko and Volcarona, which can take advantage of the Stealth Rock support it provides.
* Powerful sweepers such as Mega Charizard X and Mega Blaziken greatly benefit from Stealth Rock support helping them break through teams more easily and avoid being shut down by unexpected Focus Sash users.
* Landorus-T appreciates teammates that can handle Ice- and Water-type moves, so Steel-types and Water-types pair well with it. Pokemon such as Tapu Fini and Aegislash also appreciate Landorus-T's immunity to Electric- and Ground-type moves, respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* A pinch Berry like Figy Berry is an option on specially defensive sets to give Landorus-T more longevity and allow it to check special attackers while being able to run Stealth Rock, unlike Assault Vest sets.
* Swords Dance with a Z-Crystal such as Groundium Z or Flyinium Z allows Landorus-T to function more as a wallbreaker with its huge Attack.
* Flyinium Z with Fly gives Landorus-T a powerful Flying-type STAB attack with which to surprise bulky Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, while Groundium Z gives it a more powerful Ground-type STAB move that isn't weakened by Grassy Terrain.
* Rock Polish pairs well with a Z-Crystal or Life Orb and allows Landorus-T to function as a late-game cleaner, outspeeding most Choice Scarf users that would threaten it otherwise.
* Gravity allows Landorus-T to beat Celesteela and provides some support for teammates with less accurate moves such as Hypnosis Mega Gengar.
* Smack Down allows Landorus-T to beat Celesteela just like Gravity does without making your own team vulnerable to Ground-type moves.
* Fissure can be used on Assault Vest sets and defensive sets as a last resort against foes that Landorus-T can't beat otherwise.
* Focus Sash allows Landorus-T to function as a suicide lead with Stealth Rock and Explosion, which has the benefit of safely getting Stealth Rock up against unexpected Z-Moves.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Water-types**: While many of them don't resist Earthquake, Landorus-T has no way to break through bulky Water-types such as Tapu Fini and Gyarados unless it runs Swords Dance. Assault Vest variants have a better time against special Water-types, though they still have an unfavorable matchup against most bulky ones.

**Flying-types**: Landorus-T often carries Rock Tomb or Rock Slide, but bulkier Flying-types such as Celesteela, Gliscor, Skarmory, and opposing Landorus-T don't mind a Rock Tomb and can stall it out or force it to switch out. Other Flying-types such as Salamence and Gyarados can also punish Choice Scarf variants and set up on Landorus-T if it locks into Earthquake.

**Ice-type Moves**: Ice-type moves are very common on a wide range of threats, and Landorus-T struggles to take many Ice-type attacks even with an Assault Vest. Mamoswine, Porygon2, Greninja, Zapdos, and Thundurus-T are all common users of Ice-type moves that have generally favorable matchups against Landorus-T, though the special attackers should be wary of Assault Vest variants because they can often take at least one Ice-type move.

**Physical Walls**: Landorus-T has trouble breaking through most physical walls, including Celesteela, Cresselia, Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur, while they can heal off most of the damage it deals. However, most of them have trouble taking a Swords Dance-boosted Tectonic Rage or Supersonic Skystrike, so they must be wary of any Z-Moves, even though these sets are uncommon.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Talked with NOVED about this over Discord and got him to check it there. A lot nicer this way and I'd recommend anyone else who needs something checked to contact one of the QC team on PS or Discord. Logs of the conversation in the hide tag below.

[7:24 PM] noved: for av i like this spread ive seen @ japanese websites 212 HP / 44 Atk / 4 Def / 220 SpD / 28 Spe
[7:25 PM] noved: it does the same things as the one you have up now except the speed outspeeds nihilego after rock tomb & the hp is like 8n-1, etc
[7:26 PM] Psynergy: ah cool, is the attack a dump or does it hit anything notable?
[7:26 PM] noved: just dumped i think
[7:26 PM] Psynergy: that was the main concern I had with the spread I put since I've seen this spread a good deal but I wasn't sure if the att was valuable
[7:27 PM] noved: i can double check to see if its anything notable
[7:28 PM] Psynergy: cool, I'll change it either way since I like the nihilego bit
[7:30 PM] noved: gets the 2hko on chomp
[7:30 PM] Psynergy: is that what it's meant for?
[7:30 PM] noved: yeah
[7:30 PM] Psynergy: I put that down but wasn't sure if that was the goal
[7:30 PM] noved: it gets there exactly
[7:30 PM] Psynergy: cool
[7:34 PM] noved: i think stone edge is probably worth a slash on scarf
[7:34 PM] noved: ik the acc sucks and slide is usually better but getting the ko on thund can be pretty nice
[7:35 PM] noved: can sometimes be nice for random things like zapdos and rotom too
[7:35 PM] Psynergy: I assume it's guaranteed on thund barring the crazy bulky ones
[7:35 PM] noved: yeah
[7:36 PM] noved: it does 101 min to AS
[7:36 PM] Psynergy: ah perfect
[7:36 PM] Psynergy: do you think it should go after rock slide or rock tomb?
[7:36 PM] Psynergy: ik rock tomb isn't usually ideal on scarf
[7:36 PM] noved: i'd say probably after slide
[7:39 PM] Psynergy: alright
[7:39 PM] Psynergy: I guess at the same time do you think rock tomb is worth slashing at all on scarf?
[7:40 PM] noved: on the helmet set mention the speed also outspeeds max neutral ttar
[7:40 PM] noved: hmmm
[7:40 PM] Psynergy: iirc cant say had some issues with that when the gen 6 lando-t was written
[7:40 PM] noved: its like
[7:40 PM] noved: i probably wouldnt usually use it but
[7:40 PM] noved: i can see it having some potential
[7:40 PM] noved: one thing i would add about it
[7:40 PM] Psynergy: I've liked it when I use it but I usually run rock slide
[7:41 PM] noved: i think the main draw isnt helping your teammates
[7:41 PM] Psynergy: but the power is kind of big
[7:41 PM] noved: but rather stopping mence from DDing
[7:41 PM] Psynergy: the defensive set?
[7:41 PM] noved: or keeping the boost rather
[7:41 PM] noved: oh no i meant on scarf
[7:41 PM] Psynergy: ah ok
[7:42 PM] noved: cause otherwise it can like DD on slide/edge and roost for a bit
[7:42 PM] noved: with tomb you can keep tombing if you have something faster in the back and let lando die
[7:42 PM] noved: like koko or something
[7:42 PM] noved: mence as well as zard x too to an extent
[7:43 PM] Psynergy: I guess that's less convoluted and vague than just helping teammates so that works
[7:44 PM] noved: yeah
[7:48 PM] noved: when you talk about pinch berries i'd mention its used over helmets on sets where you invest in your special bulk
[7:48 PM] noved: and those would be used over AV so they can set rocks
[7:48 PM] noved: also would add gravity in other options
[7:49 PM] Psynergy: oh are those usually more specially invested?
[7:49 PM] noved: realy nice to beat celesteela + make a hypno gar in the back really powerful
[7:49 PM] Psynergy: I suppose that makes sense to not be purely phys def
[7:49 PM] noved: & yeah they're usually close to max bulk
[7:49 PM] noved: from the ones ive seen
[7:49 PM] noved: max spdef i mean
[7:53 PM] noved: oh mention fissure in OO too, ive seen that do pretty well on AV/spdef sets in a similar way to av mamo
[7:53 PM] Psynergy: ah yeah you're right, I believe it was listed in last gen's OO too
[7:54 PM] noved: cool
[7:55 PM] noved: i'd probs mention cress as one of walls in checks&counters
[7:55 PM] noved: its gaining some popularity again & is a really good answer(edited)
[7:57 PM] Psynergy: true
[7:57 PM] Psynergy: looks like it's stopped falling down in usage lately
[7:58 PM] noved: yea its risen a couple points from last season
[7:58 PM] noved: and a decent amount of high rated players have been using it
[7:59 PM] noved: & i think everything else looks good
[7:59 PM] Psynergy: cool
[8:00 PM] Psynergy: I'll just paste these logs in the thread then

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You implemented the stuff I mentioned on Discord, so QC approved 2/2!

Since we're going back to skeletons, I'll put this in GP now!

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
Battle Stadium Head
Logs of the conversation for transparency

[10:41 PM] Theorymon: this isn't a big deal, but maybe mention that Tapu Koko and Magnezone can sorta help against Celesteela and Skarmory? I'd just slot it in the mention for the volt turn core
[10:41 PM] Theorymon: since thats something Ive always found handy
[10:41 PM] Theorymon: since unless you use Smack Down (AV sure isnt), those two own Landorus-T pretty hard
[10:42 PM] Theorymon: On the Scarf set I'd mention that locking yourself into Superpower can make you set up bait because of the Attack drop
[10:43 PM] Theorymon: very minor thing but I think you can mention that when leading Scarf Landorus-T, to specify that U-turn is whats getting it out of bad match ups
[10:44 PM] Theorymon: also idk if you need to mention Intimidate in set comments since Landorus-T can't have any other ability
[10:44 PM] Psynergy: oh maybe
[10:45 PM] Psynergy: not entirely sure what the ruling on that is but if that's the only one that mentions it I'll just remove it
[10:46 PM] Theorymon: you can leave it in if you want
[10:46 PM] Theorymon: its not really a big deal tbh
[10:47 PM] Theorymon: for the bulky set I'd mention that it has a pretty hard time busting through defensive teams, granted its not for the same reason as Scarf
[10:47 PM] Theorymon: its just because it doesn't have nearly as much power
[10:48 PM] Theorymon: I'd slot in Smack Down in other options because while it isn't as much of a team player as Gravity, it also makes your team less vulnerable to opposing ground moves while still punishing Celesteela and Skarmory (+ there's been some high rated teams with it, but you wouldn't mention that part)
[10:49 PM] Theorymon: I havent seen this since last season, but maaaaybe mention Rock Polish? I got surprised by one with Life Orb
[10:49 PM] Theorymon: tho that set doesnt take advantage of Intimidate as well as others
[10:49 PM] Theorymon: (in other options obviously)
[10:49 PM] Theorymon: it screws up ideas like revenging Landorus-T with scarfers
[10:50 PM] Psynergy: smack down is a good idea
[10:50 PM] Psynergy: I believe cant say used it in bssc this season
[10:50 PM] Theorymon: k just read the whole thing, besides the stuff I mentioned this looks fine to me
[10:50 PM] Theorymon: just highlight me when you implement stuff and I'll approve it!
[10:51 PM] Theorymon: Sorry for taking so long to do it btw, the camping trip + emergencies totally fucked my productivity in June lol
[10:51 PM] Psynergy: np
[10:52 PM] Psynergy: cant say is the LOSER here for johning me in bssc and checking this
[11:18 PM] Psynergy: alright Theorymon took care of all that
[11:18 PM] Psynergy: went ahead and dropped the intimidate mentions in set details
[11:18 PM] Theorymon: cool
[11:18 PM] Theorymon: will approve now
[11:20 PM] Theorymon: approved

GP 1/2
remove add comments

[OVERVIEW]
Landorus-T is a versatile threat in the Battle Spot Singles metagame, (comma) capable of functioning as a glue on for many teams. Its Intimidate support ability and huge Attack stat allow it to function as an effective pivot with a Choice Scarf, while its decent bulk allows it to fill a more defensive role as a Stealth Rock setter or Assault Vest tank. Landorus-T's typing also gives it useful immunities to in Ground-(hyphen) and Electric-type attacks, which help it switch into numerous threats and take advantage of Intimidate. The Ground/Flying Said typing can be easily exploited due to its huge Ice weakness, (comma) though, and its Landorus-T's average Speed leaves it easily revenge killed when without a Choice Scarf. It Landorus-T also competes with Garchomp as an offensive Ground-type, though Landorus-T's typing often makes it the preferred choice in the current metagame.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Earthquake is Landorus-T's strongest STAB move, granting great power and neutral coverage and power.
* U-turn allows Landorus-T to maintain momentum after switching into attacks while by safely bringing in its teammate in.
* Rock Tomb hits Flying-types that Landorus-T can't touch otherwise, (comma) and provides useful Speed control that can allow it Landorus-T to beat otherwise faster foes.
* Knock Off provides useful utility in removing the foe's item, which takes advantage of the switches that Landorus-T often forces.

Set Details
========

* Assault Vest allows Landorus-T to function as a tank, giving it the special bulk to complement the Intimidate support it provides.
* An Adamant nature is used over bulk-improving natures because to give Landorus-T extra power as opposed to improving its bulk, since even without heavy investment the boost in Attack is more significant than a boost in any other stat, (comma) even without heavy Attack investment.
* The EV spread minimizes the chance of being 2HKOed by Tapu Lele's Psychic under Psychic Terrain, while the Speed allows Landorus-T to outspeed Nihilego after Rock Tomb. The remaining EVs are placed in Attack to give Earthquake more power and ensure Earthquake will 2HKO Garchomp, while also generally giving it more power.

Usage Tips
========

* This Landorus-T is meant to switch in on and tank attacks from special attackers, (comma) and is generally used as a glue on teams that need something that can pivot into numerous threats.
* While the Assault Vest lets Landorus-T can check Electric-types running Hidden Power Ice more effectively, don't recklessly take that avoid taking such a hit if there's are other safe options since because this wears down Landorus-T down very quickly.
* Landorus-T lacks any form of passive recovery, so be careful about switching it in too often if you need it to check a specific threat on the opposing team.
* Leading with Landorus-T is acceptable if it isn't needed to check any particular threat, since this can allow it to bluff a Choice Scarf set and force a switch.

Team Options
========

* Even though most Water- and Ice-type attacks are special attacks, Landorus-T appreciates teammates that can comfortably switch into them, such as Water- and Steel-types. (pretty redundant considering the next two bullets)
* Steel-types such as Mega Metagross, Aegislash, and Ferrothorn can handle Ice-types moves that threaten Landorus-T while benefiting from the Landorus-T's Ground immunity and Fighting resistance.
* Bulky Water-types such as Tapu Fini and Primarina can handle Ice- and Water-type moves aimed at Landorus-T, while Landorus-T checks most Electric-types for them.
* Landorus-T pairs well with Electric-types such as Tapu Koko to because they form a VoltTurn core, with Landorus-T switching into Ground-type moves that threaten them while having a teammate that can handle Water-types as well as Celesteela and Skarmory.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Earthquake is Landorus-T's primary STAB move, granting great power and neutral coverage and power that it can use to clean late-game.
* U-turn allows Landorus-T to maintain momentum after switching in, (comma) and allows it to escape bad matchups.
* Rock Slide allows Landorus-T to hit Flying-types that otherwise can switch safely into it, (comma) while providing a last-resort option through flinching the foe and fish for flinches as a last resort.
* Stone Edge is more powerful than Rock Slide, (comma) which is useful for getting the an OHKO on offensive Thundurus variants and hitting Zapdos harder, but the its accuracy makes it a less reliable sweeping option.
* Rock Tomb is a more accurate alternative to Rock Slide, but the power difference makes it less reliable as a cleaning tool late-game. However, the Speed drop can be useful for preventing the likes of Salamence and Mega Charizard X from setting up safely.
* Knock Off is often not a good move to lock into, but it provides great utility against an anticipated switch.
* Superpower hits Ferrothorn and bulky Normal-types such as Mega Kangaskhan and Snorlax as well as hitting Ferrothorn.

Set Details
========

* Choice Scarf allows Landorus-T to function as a revenge killer and lets it maintain momentum against faster teams.
* An Adamant nature is used to give Landorus-T as much power as possible so that it can more reliably clean late-game. However, Landorus-T sits at a crowded Speed tier, (comma) so it can be Jolly can be used to creep above the likes of Modest Volcarona, Naive Pheromosa, and Adamant Mega Charizard X.
* The EV spread maximizes Landorus-T's power while making it as fast as possible in order to effectively utilize its Choice Scarf.

Usage Tips
========

* Leading with Landorus-T is often safe due to its high Speed and Intimidate support, making is it easier to escape bad matchups with U-turn.
* Saving Landorus-T is also a viable plan against teams that lack many Ground-resistant Pokemon resists, since it can more easily find opportunities to clean up with Earthquake.
* As a revenge killer, Landorus-T should often come in after a teammate is KOed to shift momentum back in your favor, even if it means using U-turn to switch back out.
* Landorus-T has no entirely safe move to lock into, (comma) so be careful when choosing a move other than U-turn. Superpower in particular is risky to lock into since because the Attack drops can quickly turn Landorus-T into setup bait. Similarly, If the opposing team has too many Ground resists a large number of Ground-resistant Pokemon, then it may be better to not bring Landorus-T at all.
* While Landorus-T has a huge Attack stat, avoid bringing Landorus-T it when against bulkier teams since because bulkier Pokemon can more effectively punish locking Landorus-T into the wrong move.

Team Options
========

* Landorus-T fits well on teams that struggle with the many Electric-types in the metagame, (comma) as well as other generally fast threats such as Mega Gengar and Mega Lucario.
* While it Landorus-T boasts huge Attack, Landorus-T it has trouble breaking through physical walls due to its inability to boost itself or switch moves, so teammates like Tapu Lele and Mega Charizard Y, which that can break down walls, (comma) such as Tapu Lele and Mega Charizard Y are effective teammates.
* Steel-types such as Mega Metagross and Aegislash can handle Ice-type moves that threaten Landorus-T, while Landorus-T can switch into Ground-type moves that trouble them.
* Water-types such as Tapu Fini and Mega Gyarados benefit from having a teammate to handle Electric-types, (comma) while being and are able to switch into Ice-type moves that trouble Landorus-T.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Team Options
========

* Earthquake is Landorus-T's strongest STAB move, providing great neutral coverage and consistent power.
* U-turn allows Landorus-T to pivot out after setting Stealth Rock up, which is important since the because Landorus-T's lack of coverage and power can make it a liability against some foes after setting Stealth Rock.
* Stealth Rock provides useful support for offensive teammates by breaking Focus Sash and punishing threats like Volcarona and Charizard.
* Knock Off provides utility by removing the foe's item, which takes advantage of switches and gives Landorus-T a way to disrupt foes even in a disadvantageous matchup.
* Rock Tomb provides Speed control and hits Flying-types directly, which can shift momentum in Landorus-T's favor and prevents it Landorus-T from relying on Stealth Rock to threaten Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y.

Set Details
========

* Rocky Helmet is the preferred item to because it lets Landorus-T punish physical attackers further, chipping away at them and making Landorus-T more potent upon switching into a contact move.
* An Impish nature is preferred to make Landorus-T as physically bulky as possible, (comma) so that it can set up Stealth Rock up and disrupt the opponent for as long as possible.
* The EV spread maximizes Landorus-T's bulk while ensuring it can outspeed everything up to Nihilego after a Rock Tomb. The Speed also allows Landorus-T to outspeed neutral Tyranitar.

Usage Tips
========

* Landorus-T's primary goal is usually to set up Stealth Rock up as soon as possible, and its physical bulk it functions allows it to at least set use Stealth Rock against most physical attackers. Setting Stealth Rock up can sometimes give the foe a free turn, (comma) though, so avoid setting them doing so if the opposing team isn't hindered much by their Stealth Rock's presence.
* Avoid switching Landorus-T into too many attacks unless it's absolutely necessary. The Its lack of recovery means Landorus-T it must be played very carefully, (comma) so that it can still check physical attackers later in the game.
* While setting up Stealth Rock up early is important, saving Landorus-T for later in the game is acceptable if the its ability to switch into physical attackers is more valuable than setting Stealth Rock.
* This Landorus-T lacks the same offensive presence that other sets have, so don't let Landorus-T sit around it stay in too long against teams that can take advantage of it and set up. This also makes it a poor choice against defensive teams since because it lacks the power to break through then them.

Team Options
========

* Defensive Landorus-T lacks offensive pressure presence despite its high base Attack, so it should be paired with more offensive teammates such as Tapu Koko and Volcarona, (comma) which that can take advantage of the Stealth Rock support it provides.
* Powerful sweepers such as Mega Charizard X and Mega Blaziken greatly benefit from Stealth Rock support to helping them break through teams more easily and avoid being shut down by unexpected Focus Sash users.
* Landorus-T appreciates teammates that can handle Ice- and Water-type moves, so Steel-types and Water-types pair well with it. Pokemon such as Tapu Fini and Aegislash pair well with it since they also appreciate Landorus-T's immunity to Electric-type moves and Ground-type moves, (comma) respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* A pinch berry like Figy Berry is an option on specially defensive sets to give Landorus-T more longevity and allow it to check special attackers while being able to run Stealth Rock, (comma) unlike Assault Vest sets.
* Swords Dance with a Z-Crystal such as Groundium Z or Flyinium Z allows Landorus-T to function more as a wallbreaker with its huge Attack.
* Flyinium Z with Fly gives Landorus-T a powerful Flying-type STAB attack with which to surprise bulky Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, while Groundium Z gives it a more powerful Ground-type STAB move that isn't weakened by Grassy Terrain.
* Rock Polish pairs well with a Z-Crystal or Life Orb and allows Landorus-T to function as a late-game cleaner, outspeeding most Choice Scarf users that would threaten it otherwise.
* Gravity allows Landorus-T to beat Celesteela and provides some support for teammates with less accurate moves such as Hypnosis Mega Gengar.
* Smack Down allows Landorus-T to beat Celesteela just like Gravity does without making your own team vulnerable to Ground-type moves as well.
* Fissure can be used on Assault Vest sets and defensive sets as a last resort options against foes that Landorus-T can't beat otherwise.
* Focus Sash allows Landorus-T to function as a suicide lead with Stealth Rock and Explosion, which has the benefit of safely getting Stealth Rock up against unexpected Z-Moves.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Water-types**: While many of them don't resist Earthquake, Landorus-T has no way to break through bulky Water-types such as Tapu Fini and Gyarados unless it runs Swords Dance. Assault Vest variants have a better time against special Water-types, (comma) though they still have an unfavorable matchup against most bulky Water-types ones.

**Flying-types**: Landorus-T often carries Rock Tomb or Rock Slide, but bulkier Flying-types such as Celesteela, Gliscor, Skarmory, (comma) and or opposing Landorus-T don't mind a Rock Tomb and can stall it out or force it to switch out. Other Flying-types such as Salamence and Gyarados can also punish Choice Scarf variants and set up on Landorus-T if it locks into Earthquake.

**Ice-type Moves**: Ice-type moves are very common on a wide range of threats, (comma) and Landorus-T struggles to take many Ice-type attacks even with an Assault Vest. Mamoswine, Porygon2, Greninja, Zapdos, and Thundurus-T are all common users of Ice-type moves that have generally favorable matchups against Landorus-T, though the special attackers should still be wary of Assault Vest variants since because they can often take at least one Ice-type move.

**Physical Walls**: Landorus-T has trouble breaking through most physical walls, (comma) including such as Celesteela, Cresselia, Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur, while they can heal off most of the damage it deals. However, most of them have trouble taking a Swords Dance-(hyphen)boosted Tectonic Rage or Supersonic Skystrike, (comma) so they must be wary of any Z-Moves, even though these sets are uncommon.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
Battle Stadium Head
Alright cool, implemented all of the above changes so this is ready for the next check.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Landorus-T is a versatile threat in the Battle Spot Singles metagame capable of functioning as glue for many teams. Its Intimidate ability and huge Attack stat allow it to function as an effective pivot with a Choice Scarf, while its decent bulk allows it to fill a more defensive role as a Stealth Rock setter or Assault Vest tank. Landorus-T's typing also gives it useful immunities in Ground and Electric, which help it switch into numerous threats and take advantage of Intimidate. Said typing can be easily exploited due to its huge Ice weakness, though, and Landorus-T's average Speed leaves it easily revenge killed when without a Choice Scarf. Landorus-T also competes with Garchomp as an offensive Ground-type, though Landorus-T's typing often makes it the preferred choice in the current metagame.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Earthquake is Landorus-T's strongest STAB move, granting great power and neutral coverage.
* U-turn allows Landorus-T to maintain momentum after switching into attacks by safely bringing its teammate in.
* Rock Tomb hits Flying-types that Landorus-T can't touch otherwise and provides useful Speed speed control that can allow Landorus-T to beat otherwise faster foes.
* Knock Off provides useful utility in removing the foe's item, which takes advantage of the switches Landorus-T often forces.

Set Details
========

* Assault Vest allows Landorus-T to function as a tank, giving it special bulk to complement the Intimidate support it provides.
* An Adamant nature is used over bulk-improving natures because the boost in Attack is more significant than a boost in any other stat, even without heavy Attack investment.
* The EV spread minimizes the chance of being 2HKOed by Tapu Lele's Psychic under Psychic Terrain, while the Speed allows Landorus-T to outspeed Nihilego after Rock Tomb. The remaining EVs are placed in Attack to give Earthquake more power and ensure Earthquake will 2HKO Garchomp.

Usage Tips
========

* This Landorus-T is meant to switch in on and tank attacks from special attackers and is generally used as glue on teams that need something that can pivot into numerous threats.
* While the Assault Vest lets Landorus-T check Electric-types running Hidden Power Ice more effectively, avoid taking such a hit if there are other safe options because this wears Landorus-T down very quickly.
* Landorus-T lacks any form of passive recovery, so be careful about switching it in often if you need it to check a specific threat.

Team Options
========

* Steel-types such as Mega Metagross, Aegislash, and Ferrothorn can handle Ice-type moves that threaten Landorus-T while benefiting from Landorus-T's Ground immunity and Fighting resistance.
* Landorus-T pairs well with Electric-types such as Tapu Koko because they form a VoltTurn core, with Landorus-T switching into Ground-type moves that threaten them while having a teammate that can handle Water-types as well as Celesteela and Skarmory.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Earthquake is Landorus-T's primary STAB move, granting great power and neutral coverage that it can use to clean late-game.
* U-turn allows Landorus-T to maintain momentum after switching in and escape bad matchups.
* Rock Slide allows Landorus-T to hit Flying-types that otherwise can switch safely into it and fish for flinches as a last resort.
* Stone Edge is more powerful than Rock Slide, which is useful for getting an OHKO on offensive Thundurus variants and hitting Zapdos harder, but its accuracy makes it a less reliable sweeping option.
* Superpower hits Ferrothorn and bulky Normal-types such as Mega Kangaskhan and Snorlax.

Set Details
========

* Choice Scarf allows Landorus-T to function as a revenge killer and maintain momentum against faster teams.
* An Adamant nature is used to give Landorus-T as much power as possible so that it can more reliably clean late-game. However, Landorus-T sits at a crowded Speed tier, so it can be run Jolly to creep above the likes of Modest Volcarona, Naive Pheromosa, and Adamant Mega Charizard X.

Usage Tips
========

* Leading with Landorus-T is often safe due to its high Speed and Intimidate support ability, (still works I believe? "support" is not something that makes it "safe" to lead with it in any case, alternatively just swap out safe for a different adjective) making it easier to escape bad matchups with U-turn.
* Saving Landorus-T is also a viable plan against teams that lack many Ground-resistant Pokemon, since it can more easily find opportunities to clean up with Earthquake.
* Landorus-T has no entirely safe move to lock into, so be careful when choosing a move other than U-turn. Superpower in particular is risky because the Attack drops can quickly turn Landorus-T into setup bait. If the opposing team has a large number of Ground-resistant Pokemon, it may be better to not bring Landorus-T at all.
* While Landorus-T has a huge Attack stat, avoid bringing it when against bulkier teams because bulkier Pokemon can more effectively punish locking Landorus-T into the wrong move.

Team Options
========

* Landorus-T fits well on teams that struggle with the many Electric-types in the metagame as well as other fast threats such as Mega Gengar and Mega Lucario.
* While Landorus-T boasts huge Attack, it has trouble breaking through physical walls due to its inability to boost or switch moves, so teammates wallbreakers like Tapu Lele and Mega Charizard Y, which can break down walls, are effective teammates.
* Water-types such as Tapu Fini and Mega Gyarados benefit from having a teammate to handle Electric-types and are able to switch into Ice-type moves that trouble Landorus-T.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Team Options
========

* U-turn allows Landorus-T to pivot out after setting Stealth Rock up, which is important because Landorus-T's lack of coverage and power can make it a liability against some foes.
* Rock Tomb provides Speed speed control and hits Flying-types directly, which can shift momentum in Landorus-T's favor and prevents Landorus-T from relying on Stealth Rock to threaten Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y.

Set Details
========

* Rocky Helmet is the preferred item because it lets Landorus-T punish physical attackers further, chipping away at them and making Landorus-T more potent upon switching into a contact move.
* An Impish nature is preferred to make Landorus-T as physically bulky as possible so that it can set Stealth Rock up and disrupt the opponent for as long as possible.

Usage Tips
========

* Landorus-T's primary goal is usually to set Stealth Rock up as soon as possible, and its physical bulk allows it to at least use Stealth Rock against most physical attackers. Setting Stealth Rock up can sometimes give the foe a free turn, though, so avoid doing so if the opposing team isn't hindered much by Stealth Rock'she entry hazard's presence.
* Avoid switching Landorus-T into many attacks unless it's absolutely necessary. Its lack of recovery means it must be played very carefully so that it can still check physical attackers later in the game.
* While setting Stealth Rock up early is important, saving Landorus-T for later in the game is acceptable if its ability to switch into physical attackers is more valuable.
* This Landorus-T lacks the same offensive presence that other sets have, so don't let it stay in too long against teams that can take advantage of it and set up. This also makes it a poor choice against defensive teams because it lacks the power to break through them.

Team Options
========

* Defensive Landorus-T lacks offensive presence despite its high base Attack, so it should be paired with more offensive teammates such as Tapu Koko and Volcarona, which can take advantage of the Stealth Rock support it provides.
* Powerful sweepers such as Mega Charizard X and Mega Blaziken greatly benefit from Stealth Rock support helping them break through teams more easily and avoid being shut down by unexpected Focus Sash users.
* Landorus-T appreciates teammates that can handle Ice- and Water-type moves, so Steel-types and Water-types pair well with it. Pokemon such as Tapu Fini and Aegislash also appreciate Landorus-T's immunity to Electric- and Ground-type moves, respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* A pinch Berry like Figy Berry is an option on specially defensive sets to give Landorus-T more longevity and allow it to check special attackers while being able to run Stealth Rock, unlike Assault Vest sets.
* Smack Down allows Landorus-T to beat Celesteela just like Gravity does without making your own team vulnerable to Ground-type moves.
* Fissure can be used on Assault Vest sets and defensive sets as a last resort against foes that Landorus-T can't beat otherwise.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Water-types**: While many of them don't resist Earthquake, Landorus-T has no way to break through bulky Water-types such as Tapu Fini and Gyarados unless it runs Swords Dance. Assault Vest variants have a better time against special Water-types, though they still have an unfavorable matchup against most bulky ones.

**Flying-types**: Landorus-T often carries Rock Tomb or Rock Slide, but bulkier Flying-types such as Celesteela, Gliscor, Skarmory, and opposing Landorus-T don't mind a Rock Tomb and can stall it out or force it to switch out. Other Flying-types such as Salamence and Gyarados can also punish Choice Scarf variants and set up on Landorus-T if it locks into Earthquake.

**Ice-type Moves**: Ice-type moves are very common on a wide range of threats, and Landorus-T struggles to take many Ice-type attacks even with an Assault Vest. Mamoswine, Porygon2, Greninja, Zapdos, and Thundurus-T are all common users of Ice-type moves that have generally favorable matchups against Landorus-T, though the special attackers should be wary of Assault Vest variants because they can often take at least one Ice-type move.

**Physical Walls**: Landorus-T has trouble breaking through most physical walls, including Celesteela, Cresselia, Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur, while they can heal off most of the damage it deals. However, most of them have trouble taking a Swords Dance-boosted Tectonic Rage or Supersonic Skystrike, so they must be wary of any Z-Moves, even though these sets are uncommon.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
Battle Stadium Head
You missed a letter when changing "Stealth Rock's" to "he entry hazard's" but I think it's safe to assume that's supposed to be the, otherwise if that's all there is to change I implemented everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)