Project LC Community Create-a-Team [DONE]

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
changing my vote to Diglett after some consideration and fooling around with both evio mag and diglett

Last edited:

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In a very close vote, it appears Diglett is the winner!

So we have a core now! What can we do to support these Pokemon with the third member of our team? Submit your ideas now!

The Team So Far:

Clamperl @ DeepSeaTooth
Ability: Rattled
Level: 5
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 SpA / 80 SpD / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Diglett @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch
- Memento

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So for now, we'll need a Pokemon that can bring in Pokemon that Clamperl threatens, either to attack directly or to set up on. Additionally, we'll need something that can sponge a Knock Off, which is something nothing so far wants to do. Essentially, I'm saying we need a Mienfoo.

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Taunt

The Pokemon that tend to come in on Mienfoo are either slow Fairy- or Poison-type Pokemon such as Snubbull and Foongus or faster threats such as Ponyta. These Pokemon are all either OHKOed or set up on by Clamperl, especially as more and more Ponyta opt to forgo Wild Charge. Outside of that, Clamperl creates an instant 50/50 against the rest of the slower Mienfoo checks; does the opponent leave in their Mienfoo check to be obliterated and lose a check to a powerful Pokemon, or do they switch out and risk Clamperl setting up?

This isn't even talking about the fact that Mienfoo and Diglett already synergize extremely well. The addition of Taunt also helps us keep hazards off the field, which is greatly appreciated by these two Pokemon. Overall, I think Mienfoo is a great teammate for these two Pokemon thanks to its pivoting prowess, excellent synergy, and the ability to take a Knock Off.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
list of things we need:

-hazards
-way to remove mareanie/tentacool
-way to remove pawniard

-way to weaken ferroseed
-way to help clamperl set up (memento or screens)
-way to remove sashbra

we also desperately need some sort of defensive back bone at the minute, and i also feel we're relying on diglett a lot to remove sashbra, mareanie and panwniard, and also use memento.

cottonee provides us with the beginnings of a defensive core, and can also use memento to support

Cottonee @ Darkinium-Z
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 36 HP / 40 Def / 144 SpA / 40 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam / Giga Drain (idk which??)
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Encore
- Memento

It also provides us with a second way of luring pawniard, and memento support with darkinium-z means clamperl doesn't have to worry as much about coming in early to hit stuff hard. HP Fight from Cottonee also puts Ferroseed in KO range of a +2 Ice Beam.

Looking at the team, I feel like we need something for Carvanha. Carvanha murders Diglett if trapped, ad thanks to Speed Boost, Carvanha can beat Clameperl eve after it sets up. So, I propose that we add Timburr to the squad.

insert clever name here (Timburr) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 116 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

With Mach Punch, and great bulk, Timburr can easily stand up to Carvanha. Mach Punch nearly OHKOs it, and it lives whatever Carvanha wants to throw at it, including Psychic Fangs + Aqua Jet, and just spams Mach Punch until it goes down. Also, in general, Timburr is a great Pokemon to have in checking Normal-types, like Aipom and Meowth, who's Fake Outs are problematic to Clamperl's set up, and Steel-types like Ferroseed, who, like Berks said, destroys us right now.

I've found a cute pic of Pancham so I'll post it.

Pancham @ Eviolite / Darkinium Z
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 180 Atk / 100 Def / 212 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Zen Headbutt / Gunk Shot

It is bulky enough to be a wall and it synergize well with Clamperl + Diglett:
- Support Clamperl with Parting Shot. Also supports diglett.
- Beats Pawniard (His priority wont let us sweep) and Ferroseed (Maybe the best check to Clamperl now that we can trap water/poison mons)
- Altought it's standard, sometimes you can lure Croagunk with Zen Heabutt and preserve Sash on Diglett
- Knock off User.
- Cute with sunglasses.

Last edited:
Looking at the team, I feel like we need something for Carvanha. Carvanha murders Diglett if trapped, ad thanks to Speed Boost, Carvanha can beat Clameperl eve after it sets up. So, I propose that we add Timburr to the squad.
Carvanha does not beat Clamperl after it has set up...

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
this won't be entirely coherent as this is a string of thoughts unrefined as i cannot be asked to organize thoughts when sick.

I would be most inclined to use the cottonee, as it adds a certain flexibility to the team and helps offset a general frail and poor defensive presence the team has. panda is just a bad mon and while cool does not really aid the team. similarly, at the current moment mienfoo does not add anything to the team besides perhaps a good pawn counter and general sponge. it is however not what i would look into adding to the team at the current moment, as timburr / gunk / panda also do that role and the niche there is not defined. further, mienfoo makes the team weaker to np vulla which is an inherent issue for this team and so early on i think it is best to add this.

the main issue i see with adding cottonee is how it generally centralizes the team on making clamperl sweep, and it is otherwise mediocre offensively and will consequently struggle to win games in which clamperl cannot win in and by itself. This can be remedied however, though I do think that the current sets in use will not work well when trying to do this. i'm also not sold on this z-memento set rowan posted, and i think going with cottonee would make choosing its optimal moveset hard. not that this is really a drawback to cottonee, but just really shows that it can be hard to make the most out of it.

an alternative to cottonee is foongus, chiefly for more defensive presence that still chips things we want dead/weakened and uses spore to be an absolute pain. it does make the team slower and would potentially force several issues. however it doesn't really open up any new possibilities by adding it, and adding foongus forces you to think of how you want the game to play out.

spritzee would be a cool addition as it helps blanket check a lot of things such as NP vulla and irksome fighters and it likes Diglett's trapping ability. With CM it could be an effective secondary wincon and perform admirably. This would allow for the team to have another grass-type instead of cottonee (foongus, pumpka, snivy) and makes it less exploitable by LO Diglett which loves sludge bomb. more importantly, as a side effect of being not as easy to trap and remove, and generally more persistent, we can utilize a poison type w/ little issue. Croagunk and Foongus are good candidates as they counter waters and make the team balance oriented though far from passive. Both of these can check / counter a lot of what would make dual water or dual ground bad, allowing for the team to fit a spinner. alternatively something along the lines of taunt foo / snivy could possibly be apt, but this would require some awkward playing around anything above the 17 speed tier and essentially force the likes of Scarf Sucker Pawniard to round off the team.

Of the current mons I think that Cottonee is the best choice as it keeps things open, but at the current stage of building people making submissions need to look at what adding said mon would do for the team and the ramifications of adding it. Currently I would suggest NOT making the team entirely dependant on clamperl sweeping teams, as fat teams need to have eviolite munch and ferroseed weakened and to force this pressure needs to be applied while offense teams can generally rely on priority and preventing the memento or sweeping us first. And as I see it currently the team is likely to fall prey to being too passive to overwhelm decently played balance and too frail & non pressuring to fend off offense teams.

regardlessly i think we just lose to Sun teams so that's really fun

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

basically it's a solid fighting counter and timb refuses to run p jab now because foongus sucks. with dig, you have a potent ability to open up games by trapping resists. this is pretty great overall considering how perl wants the same stuff weakened mostly. the bulk sprit adds is far greater than cottonee's, which helps shit the team from standard dig + sweeper offense and 0 bulk to a balance approach. spritzee also helps make us not have a vulla weak team, and considering how diglett is going to be such an important mon for us that's p big.

just another mon to add to the list though ppl's cottonee boner is likely to make this seems silly.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist

Grimer @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpA / 36 SpD
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot / Poison Jab
- Fire Blast / Memento

Before I explain this choice, this is Alolan Dusky's Grimer set so I take no credit for it.

I feel Alolan-Grimer could be a nice addition on this Clamperl team since it can deal with annoyances such as Abra and Scarf Gastly that may try to revenge kill Clamperl and also bulkier mons such as Pawniard, Spritzee, Ferroseed and Munchlax. Pursuit and Knock Off are standard, Pursuit is for trapping said revenge killers while Knock Off helps remove Eviolites from said bulky mons. With Poison Touch, Grimer can further weaken the opposing team by poisoning them, which can give Clamperl an easier time to sweep. Gunk Shot can knock out Spritzee after rocks 75% of the time, alternatively Poison Jab can be used as a tertiary form of poisoning the opponent with perfect accuracy at the expense of less power. Fire Blast deals with Pawniard and Ferroseed, who we currently lack checks for, while Memento can be used to safely bring in Clamperl so it can set up a Shell Smash. I think Fire Blast is the better option here since we have Memento with Diglett already.

tl;dr
- deals with Ferroseed and Pawniard with Fire Blast
- deals with revenge killers such as Abra and Scarf Gastly with Pursuit
- can remove Eviolite on mons like Spritzee, Munchlax, etc.
- weakens opposing team with Poison Touch
- if necessary, functions as another Memento user

cottonee seems like the winner as of now tbh ;w;

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)