Project LC Research Week Closed for Now (Won by Fille)

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Haven't participated in this yet so guess I'll try it out
Nineage
Rssp is the Worst
Using Aipom because Aipom is actually a terrific Pokemon and I'm not sure why its even considered a research project.

Last edited:
Hi im Viper!
I used this great pokemon called wingull under the alt Wingedgull for rw this week and then got fucked over by ladder reset!
Today I will be sharing with you my research on wingull!

I used this set for wingull.
Wingull @ Life Orb
Ability: Keen Eye
Level: 5
EVs: 36 Atk / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Scald

I got this far on ladder before the bop that is the reset hit
2017-01-29.png

Wingull was overall a great pokemon for me and did a lot of damage that I honestly did not expect from it. Knock off is a great support move to get rid of the berry juices from mag and chin and even ferros eviolite. Both stabs are very useful for picking up kills but hurricane missing always makes me sad. 19 speed makes it outspeed many threats like dodou/gastly and tie with things like abra. I used wingull as a revenge killer with ground and grass types to support it so those pesky chinchous and mags would die.

236 SpA Life Orb Wingull Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Timburr: 23-31 (95.8 - 129.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Life Orb Wingull Hurricane vs. 36 HP / 116 SpD Snubbull: 21-25 (91.3 - 108.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Life Orb Wingull Hurricane vs. 212 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Spritzee: 12-16 (44.4 - 59.2%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO
236 SpA Life Orb Wingull Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Grimer-Alola: 12-16 (50 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 SpA Life Orb Wingull Hurricane vs. 124 HP / 160 SpD Eviolite Foongus: 23-31 (92 - 124%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Life Orb Wingull Hurricane vs. 116 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
236 SpA Life Orb Wingull Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 26-34 (123.8 - 161.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 SpA Life Orb Wingull Hurricane vs. 204 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Pumpkaboo-Super: 18-26 (72 - 104%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Several hours later, things I've learned from RW laddering:

• Fury Swipes basically never hits
  • Leaf Storm really really really never hits (I decided to keep count at one point and went 7/16 on hits...next time I'm just running Giga Drain)
  • Anybody can beat you if they get enough freezes on your Ferroseed.

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor

Congratulation yet again to Fille for winning his third Resarch Week, this time boasting a 1432 ladder rating while using Sandshrew! He was able to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat with a last minute ladder run that left him 4 points clear at the top. Congrats!

Honorable Mention to yppiks123 and blinkboy for coming in second and third respectively. Last but not the least, Blinkboy is awarded the bonus point for "Best Post" this week. He researched a new way of using Wynaut and was able to come up with insightful results.
1. Fille (1432) - 5 Points
2. yppiks123 (1428) - 3 Points
3. Blinkboy (1418) - 2+1 Points
4. ItzViper482 (1348) - 1 Point

Cumulative Leaderboard

• 1.Fille (15 points)
  • 2. All-Star Lineup (8 Points)​
  • 3. Laroxyl (3 Points)​
  • 4.Ztstaffto (3 Points)​
  • 5. Yppiks123 (3 Points)​
  • 6. Blinkboy (3 Points)​
  • 7.Inscribe (2 Points)​
  • 8. Plasmagby (2 Points)​
  • 9. Svertigo (1 Point)​
  • 10. Cashed (1 Point)​
  • 11. Adam the first (1 Point)​
  • 12. ItzViper482 (1 Point)​
Fille is topping the table with ease, can anyone catch him?

Week 5 coming up!

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
Week 5

Alolan Rattata

56 Atk with Hustle is no push over, add some nice stab attacks and do we have something going here?

Kabuto

Used in SPL on more than one occasion, Kabuto is rising from obscurity with its access to Weak Armor. Is this the perfect support Pokemon for every team?

Archen

Only B Rank in the viability rankings, it has fallen from grace since ORAS. Can you help avoid this bird from going extinct?

Shellos

Always overlooked, Shellos is a tanky wall which can't be knocked off and has a few cute utility moves, can you find some use for it?

Week 5 ends on February 5th, 11:59 PM EST

Ps username: Midnight Howl
Ladder name: RW Centuries
Pokémon: Alolan Rattata :]

Update: Been playing with a scarf Rattata-A team an by the way I am 12-0 and I am 54th on the ladder with 1302 points. As far as I've tested it rattata seems to be a lot better than I expected. It's not as powerful as other mons, and it hasn't got the best stab combination but it hits hard and makes for a good pivot when equiped with a choice scarf and u-turn. That's it for now I got to keep testing it but I'm having lots of fun with it by the way :]

228+ Atk Hustle Rattata-Alola Frustration vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 13-16 (61.9 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
228+ Atk Hustle Rattata-Alola Frustration vs. 76 HP / 212+ Def Chinchou: 18-22 (72 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
228+ Atk Hustle Rattata-Alola Frustration vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 12-15 (44.4 - 55.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
228+ Atk Hustle Rattata-Alola Crunch vs. 204 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pumpkaboo-Super: 20-26 (80 - 104%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
PS: Rambon99
Ladder: R(atatatata)W
Pkmn: A-Ratatatata

Anyways, here's this week's thing

I capped at 1306, but then forgot to screencap, and lost some, so here's this.

Anyways here's my rat!

Rattata-Alola @ Life Orb/Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 36 HP / 228 Atk / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Crunch
- Return
- Quick Attack/Sucker Punch

A-Rat hits hard, hella hard. The way I like to use this set is to either get damage or kill things that are damaged. I started out with Choice Band, but found Life Orb to be nicer as you can switch up moves, being able to KO things that come into Return/Crunch with another or a priority move. 17 Speed is a super nice speed tier, allowing you to revenge kill a decent chunk of the tier. U-Turn is there for momentum, though since this monster is a nuke, things that are coming to revenge kill you are usually faster too. Crunch is nice Dark stab, able to hit most things that Return doesn't. Normal/Dark isn't too bad for offensive coverage, as there are few Pokemon that resist both (Pawn). Quick Attack is an option if you don't like 50-50s, as Hustle+stab+LO/CB gives it enough punch to KO weakened mons that are faster than you or have priority (Scarfs, Abra, Mons at + Spe). Sucker can be used for more power, but is resisted by fighting types and can be mind-gamed around, though its probably a better option overall. All in all, it's a pretty nice mon. All the Returns and Crunches it sends out absolutely nukes most things. The two main things that hold it back are its defensive typing, and Hustle. For its typing, its immune to Psychic and Ghost, which makes it good at dealing with Ghast and Abra with sucker (If you don't switch into gleam), BUT those types are rare as is, the mons with those types have the coverage to beat you, and you are quad weak to figthing, one of the most common typings of the tier, so Timb Mach Punch and Gunk Vacuum Wave are killing at 100%. Then you have Hustle. Hustle is great until you miss (which is 20% of the time). I can't count the times I've lost because a Hustle Quick Attack missed a weakened setup mon at +2. So yeah, missing is not cool.

The team!

Ponyta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 Atk / 156 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge

Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch

Mienfoo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Drain Punch
- High Jump Kick

Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 160 Def / 160 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 76 Atk / 36 Def / 76 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Ponyta here to provide burn support. Thanks to flame body and it's speed, it deals nicely with most fighting types. Carvhana is the late game sweeper, being near unstoppable with with some speed boosts. Scarf mien is there for offensive support, its speed making it able to damage things for Carv.
Foongus is there to deal with more fighting types (Mainly Timburr, who beats Ponyta 1v1). Lastly, Drill is there for rock support and spin.
So the way the team functions is Rat and Mien damage things for Carv to win. Their speed being able to break sashes and damage bulky mons. Pony and Foongus are your bulk, and yoour figthing type answers, as this team is pretty weak to them. One of the main problems is your serious lack of special attackers. Foongus is your only special attacker, and loses to things like Pony and Vull, which means that your best answer to Weak Armor Vull is to hit it hard, and revenge kill it with Quick Attack. In all honesty, this team would work better without Rattata. While Rattata did some work every now and then, most of the time it just became a sack. It can't come in into much, and most of the time it revenge kills something, it either needs to be sacked or has to switch out. I think the Pony/Carv core is pretty solid, but having something faster + Special attacker (Like elekid) would help out the team more. All in all, fun mon, not too good, not too bad. Def better than Yungoos.

Here are some Replays of Rat doing things:

Last edited:

Fille

Afk
is a Pre-Contributor
LCPL Champion
Fille
RW Fille
Really wanna use Kabu, but Shellos getting no love so taking the snail

okok fuck Shellos that thing gonna be too bulky to be fun to use and don't feel like scarfing it, so we running Rattata-A + Archen core, let's see if that can work.

Last edited:
Last week. Used Aipom+Sandshrew. Have like 5 minutes so gonna try.

Aipom
I used standard evio and this thing is a VERY solid mon. In my case he turned out to be STUPID bulky. Like way bulkier than expected.

Calcs:
252+ Atk Iron Fist Timburr Drain Punch vs. 76 HP / 76 Def Eviolite Aipom: 18-24 (78.2 - 104.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
240 SpA Abra Psychic vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Aipom: 12-15 (52.1 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 240+ SpA Vullaby Dark Pulse vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Aipom: 15-18 (65.2 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 236 Atk Shellder Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 76 HP / 76 Def Eviolite Aipom: 20-25 (86.9 - 108.6%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO
236 Atk Mienfoo Drain Punch vs. 76 HP / 76 Def Eviolite Aipom: 14-20 (60.8 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is like a faster Mienfoo for me.
I ran taunt, fake out, fury swipes, knock off and it worked very well. Knocked at least 2 mons every game and is an amazing lead.
Speed+STAB Fury Swipes does serious damage as well.

Sandshrew
Again a solid mon that again I used standard. Spinner with knock is phenomenal. Especially when after rocks you 2hko pump. There are some bad issues for Shrew. It gets chipped SO fast. Generally you get a knock and rocks off. Switch. However it switches so well into so many things that it is hard to decide when to let it take damage. However still a threat nonetheless. Prefer Kabuto though and even Phanpy does it better imo.

Calcs:
156 Atk Sandshrew Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 204 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pumpkaboo-Super: 10-14 (40 - 56%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
156 Atk Sandshrew Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 9-12 (42.8 - 57.1%) -- 68.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
156 Atk Sandshrew Earthquake vs. 116 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Staryu: 9-12 (42.8 - 57.1%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
156 Atk Sandshrew Earthquake vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 9-12 (36 - 48%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Btw This week.
Plas
Name: RssPeWPeW
Gimmie Shellos+Archen

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
Congrats to rambon99 for winning this week's Research Week by using the hard hitting Alolan Rattata! Be sure to congratulate him next time you see him!

Also Rambon99 has won the award for Best Post and will collect a bonus point!

1. Rambon (1299) 5+1

And this signals the end of the Research Week Circuit mainly due to a steady lack of interest and participation. Maybe it will be reopened later. As it stands, Fille is the overall winner of this edition of Research Week.

Cumulative Leaderboard

• 1.Fille (15 points)
  • 2. All-Star Lineup (8 Points)
  • 3. Rambon99 (6 Points)
  • 4. Laroxyl (3 Points)
  • 5.Ztstaffto (3 Points)
  • 6. Yppiks123 (3 Points)
  • 7. Blinkboy (3 Points)
  • 8.Inscribe (2 Points)
  • 9. Plasmagby (2 Points)
  • 10. Svertigo (1 Point)
  • 11. Cashed (1 Point)
  • 12. Adam the first (1 Point)
  • 13. ItzViper482 (1 Point)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)