(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I guess I am too young or too new to Pokemon when I was playing FRLG so I didn't really have any sort of huge feelings about Team Rocket except their outfits looks really stupid just like Team Flare (even though its reasonable given RGBY's release date), so no special feelings for me nor I am anywhere allergic than a casual player.

The reason why people are having gut-reflexes about Gen 1 is probably Genwunners though - they probably got really sick about these guys (and personally I am both annoyed and having great laughs about it, for example some streamers trying to impress genwunners but erroneously commented that Drowsee is ugly and not gen 1). Some of them don't even play Pokemon and only watched the first few episodes of the first anime and probably played only Pokemon Go but somehow claimed that it's their childhood memories, which can really be hella annoying to actual players.

Unfortunately enough, Rainbow Team Rocket is introduced at a time like this so the gut reflex is directed towards RTR, despite (if the leaks are true) it might feature a bunch of old teams that are bundled as one in the name of Rainbow Rocket instead of fully featuring the old team rocket. Things like Delta Episode are stuck with the talk-to-who-battle-who-capture-who route, but come on this is literally unavoidable given the nature of this game. I would bet that RR wouldn't be able to get away with this either.

And about level caps.....Just how much re-wiring and design work will that be to fulfil exploring needs? You need to literally create different sets of teams and data to "change" the difficulty of the game just because the player didn't go to places as expected, and the plot progression will be a huge mess because that will be WAY too much to consider when writing the storyboard. At best some incoherent stuff happened in different cities as you go by, and you will end up fighting the evil whatsoever after you took down everybody, at worst the story will be nothing more than RGBY or even no story at all, at least not really possible with GF's given manpower and coding abilities. Mind you GF has literally the worst programming and refining among all producers so I seriously doubt if they can really pull that out from their crouch.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon with a rediculously low catch rate annoy me a lot, since I like to complete Pokedexes for the shiny charm and such. I usually just GTS trade for them if I can't be arsed to hunt them down.

Dexnav in OR/AS midigated the issue of low % encounters, so I was pretty happy about that. S/M disappointed me a bit when they introduced Pokemon that could only be found in SOS chains in certain scenarios like rain

Probably my least favorite gym leader. Not for his design or his battle (although his battle is pretty weak for a final gym, 3 pokemon and all of them super slow and no coverage moves for electric or grass types) but for Route 21.

So in Black2/White2 you meet up with him on Route 21 where he lowers the bridge onto the Plasma Frigate. Then he bails like a chump because professionalism ain't his style. No it's cool Marlon, it's not like all the other gym leaders tried to stop these guys in the last game. Oh wait!

But being a lazy work-dodging bum is one thing, but then he has to try to guilt trip you about fighting Team Plasma. So after postulating that as an ocean boy a maniac going around in a giant flying boat with nazi-esque troops isn't really his problem, he then questions you on if Team Plasma is bad or not.

"Hey, friends! Team Plasma's not botherin' me. They could be up to no good for reals, and... It's not my style to go around decidin' Team Plasma's bad without thinkin' 'bout it just 'cause everyone says so!"

As an isolated set piece this is supposed to be leading up to the climax of rival Hugh's character arc, as his single-minded agenda to defeat Team Plasma and get his sister's Purrloin back has been a bit sketchy.

But in context of the full story, this is after this same frigate totally froze an entire city in ice. I'M PRETTY SURE THESE GUYS ARE EVIL YOU LAZY JERK. YOU ARE THE WORST GYM LEADER EVER, AND THAT INCLUDES GIOVANNI AND MALVA!

People that have seen me around the forums know I've got a bit of a beef with Gen5's storytelling and Marlon here's the perfect microcosim for everything wrong with it: empty platitudes given devoid of the context surrounding them. I can't feel anything here if Marlon's saying one thing when the rest of the story is saying something else, it's not insightful it's just stupid.

I'd rant more, but thankfully Marlon's time in the story is brief. So that's why he's just a little annoyance rather than a big one (like say Zinnia for example).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Probably my least favorite gym leader. Not for his design or his battle (although his battle is pretty weak for a final gym, 3 pokemon and all of them super slow and no coverage moves for electric or grass types) but for Route 21.

So in Black2/White2 you meet up with him on Route 21 where he lowers the bridge onto the Plasma Frigate. Then he bails like a chump because professionalism ain't his style. No it's cool Marlon, it's not like all the other gym leaders tried to stop these guys in the last game. Oh wait!

But being a lazy work-dodging bum is one thing, but then he has to try to guilt trip you about fighting Team Plasma. So after postulating that as an ocean boy a maniac going around in a giant flying boat with nazi-esque troops isn't really his problem, he then questions you on if Team Plasma is bad or not.

"Hey, friends! Team Plasma's not botherin' me. They could be up to no good for reals, and... It's not my style to go around decidin' Team Plasma's bad without thinkin' 'bout it just 'cause everyone says so!"

As an isolated set piece this is supposed to be leading up to the climax of rival Hugh's character arc, as his single-minded agenda to defeat Team Plasma and get his sister's Purrloin back has been a bit sketchy.

But in context of the full story, this is after this same frigate totally froze an entire city in ice. I'M PRETTY SURE THESE GUYS ARE EVIL YOU LAZY JERK. YOU ARE THE WORST GYM LEADER EVER, AND THAT INCLUDES GIOVANNI AND MALVA!

People that have seen me around the forums know I've got a bit of a beef with Gen5's storytelling and Marlon here's the perfect microcosim for everything wrong with it: empty platitudes given devoid of the context surrounding them. I can't feel anything here if Marlon's saying one thing when the rest of the story is saying something else, it's not insightful it's just stupid.

I'd rant more, but thankfully Marlon's time in the story is brief. So that's why he's just a little annoyance rather than a big one (like say Zinnia for example).
Uh, when I got to that part I wanted to smack the surfer dude out of Marlon. His dialogue felt like it was written for the original Black & White's Team Plasma. For them you can argue their vision of freeing all Pokemon is extreme, but at the same time they have the point that on the surface it looks like Pokemon are slaves to humans. However, that isn't the Team Plasma we're talking about here, we're talking about Neo Team Plasma, a spinoff of Team Plasma who dropped the charade and started following Ghetsis and his world conquering plans. They are villains through and through, they steal Pokemon with purpose of their own use, they plan on taking over the world, they FROZE AN ENTIRE CITY!

On the same, that's why I found it odd when there were Doctors and Nurses on board who would heal you, saying the only reason they joined Team Plasma is because they don't want Pokemon to be hurt. Um, doc, that was LAST Team Plasma, this Team Plasma are villains bent on world conquest and don't care about Pokemon's well being. You may want to meet up with Rood in Driftveil City, not with Team Freeze The World. Honestly, with this and Marlon, this feels like a segment they wanted in Black & White but had no room for so found a place in B2W2 but forgot to change the "is Team Plasma really wrong?" connotations.

If they wanted Marlon out of the picture they could have Marlon say he didn't come prepared. He heard a ruckus on Route 21, went to investigate and stumbled upon Neo Team Plasma and the player and Hugh, and after helping us onto the frigate he'll go back to the Gym and contact the Pokemon League/police/government/whatever. Though before he leaves maybe you can then have him say two years ago he actually agreed with Team Plasma, as a pro swimmer he has swam with the ocean Pokemon and saw how much happy and at peace they were in the wild while the only thing trained Pokemon cared about was fighting, but then he says this is not that Team Plasma and wonders what changed about them (which would more affect Hugh, hearing a positive opinion of the older Team Plasma from a Gym Leader and that these are indeed two different Team Plasma). It would look much better on his characters than the "not my problem, also are you sure the people wanting to conquer the world and froze a city are bad?"

I think we covered the problem with Zinnia a while back.

Last edited:
Just finished reading all of that, and I think there's nothing more to be said.

Getting back to Marlon I agree that if Gamefreak just wanted to get him out of the plot so the protagonist could do it all there were a thousand better ways to do it than this. Heck if he just said "I'm worried about the town, can you handle things here?" I wouldn't be ranting this much. I expect to handle it all, I'm an RPG protagonist! It's the misguided attempt at philosophy that peeves me.

The only good thing about the frigate is the regular team Plasma double agent that spots for you while you take a nap, my favorite regular NPC in all the games (especially since he shows up more than once in the story). Always wish we got more of him than the freaky fish guy.

Well, that and fighting Colress due to his awesome battle theme.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Some of you might have noticed that the thread title has changed slightly. That's because we're limiting discussion about Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon outside the dedicated forum until the games have been out for a while. Keep your pet peeves about those games elsewhere until we give the go-ahead to post them in this thread again!

So after picking up the Ash's Pikachu, (Alola cap for me, figured I'd get it on the last day of the event) I find myself just a little annoyed that it doesn't have three guaranteed IV's when freaking Cos-Play Pikachu in OR/AS did IIRC, and that it's apparently nature-locked to Hardy.

I mean, it is a Pikachu, and it can't hold a Light Ball and Pikashium Z at the same time so anything other than the one-time nuke is going to hit like wet tissue paper, but...

So after picking up the Ash's Pikachu, (Alola cap for me, figured I'd get it on the last day of the event) I find myself just a little annoyed that it doesn't have three guaranteed IV's when freaking Cos-Play Pikachu in OR/AS did IIRC, and that it's apparently nature-locked to Hardy.

I mean, it is a Pikachu, and it can't hold a Light Ball and Pikashium Z at the same time so anything other than the one-time nuke is going to hit like wet tissue paper, but...
The nature lock was annoying as I was all too ready to Synchronize natures with it (despite myself not remembering it was possible because it won't be able to breed) and the moment it turned out to be Hardy I said "screw it" and pick the first one that turned up (after confirming it was a nature lock by trying again).

The nature lock was annoying as I was all too ready to Synchronize natures with it (despite myself not remembering it was possible because it won't be able to breed) and the moment it turned out to be Hardy I said "screw it" and pick the first one that turned up (after confirming it was a nature lock by trying again).
But wouldn't it be impossible to Synch anyway because it's received through Mystery Gift? I was prepared to sit there and at least aim for Timid, (and Hyper Train Special Attack and Speed if they weren't perfect later) but after a couple of resets all resulting in Hardy I just saved and shoved it in the PC.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
let's talk about breeding in sun/moon.

most of the opinions i've seen here are about the same–"this sucks...wait i can run in circles here! awesome!"–which was my initial response as well. but the more mons i breed, the more backwards it seems to me compared to other games.
  1. you have to be continuously holding down b and moving the circle pad. not only is this bad for both (my b button is starting to stick), it means you can't even just put a coin under the circle pad and let it go by itself. this means that sun and moon's breeding area was (debatably) worse than xy's. this is a pretty monumental achievement. also why are the two things on opposite sides of the 3ds like i feel lucky to have big hands
  2. you have to press a different button to get past the "oh?" screen. why is this a thing. this basically just takes away any kind of multitasking you could hope to accomplish while breeding and instead you're forced to look at the screen every 10 seconds
  3. it takes steps (and dismounting tauros) to get eggs and check stats. i am aware of how petty this sounds (and i appreciate the step up from oras's npc judge) but still it's been 7 generations man!!!
  4. the music. they somehow transcended not only oras's "choose your own based on your mood/preferences" but also xy's "meh it's lumiose city nothing special" to create the horror that is tauros music. this is the kind of stuff that leads to clickbait articles about kids going insane playing pokemon.
man i appreciate the concept of breeding but imo its only purpose should be getting egg moves and stuff. that doesn't take long and it's kinda cool. iv breeding is not cool. i think that a whole new system is the way to go, like it would be lit if they added a poke pelago island for iv increasing.

next up i'm going to rant about the pokemon rumble series (in particular the one i have, rumble blast) but idk if i've done that one already.

most of the opinions i've seen here are about the same–"this sucks...wait i can run in circles here! awesome!"–which was my initial response as well. but the more mons i breed, the more backwards it seems to me compared to other games.
  1. you have to be continuously holding down b and moving the circle pad. not only is this bad for both (my b button is starting to stick), it means you can't even just put a coin under the circle pad and let it go by itself. this means that sun and moon's breeding area was (debatably) worse than xy's. this is a pretty monumental achievement. also why are the two things on opposite sides of the 3ds like i feel lucky to have big hands
  2. you have to press a different button to get past the "oh?" screen. why is this a thing. this basically just takes away any kind of multitasking you could hope to accomplish while breeding and instead you're forced to look at the screen every 10 seconds
  3. it takes steps (and dismounting tauros) to get eggs and check stats. i am aware of how petty this sounds (and i appreciate the step up from oras's npc judge) but still it's been 7 generations man!!!
  4. the music. they somehow transcended not only oras's "choose your own based on your mood/preferences" but also xy's "meh it's lumiose city nothing special" to create the horror that is tauros music. this is the kind of stuff that leads to clickbait articles about kids going insane playing pokemon.
man i appreciate the concept of breeding but imo its only purpose should be getting egg moves and stuff. that doesn't take long and it's kinda cool. iv breeding is not cool. i think that a whole new system is the way to go, like it would be lit if they added a poke pelago island for iv increasing.

next up i'm going to rant about the pokemon rumble series (in particular the one i have, rumble blast) but idk if i've done that one already.
Isn't Stoutland faster for turning in circles? Also the fact you can easily hatch eggs in batches of six and send eggs directly to the PC so you have six more ready to go makes breeding much more efficient this gen. Checking IVs is also much easier since you can look at them at a glance while storing them in the PC. All of this can be done one handed too since you don't have to use buttons and circle pad at the same time.

Even without IVs, there'll be still times where you need to breed dozens of eggs to get the right results. Gender for egg moves, ball inheritance, ability, and Hidden Power will still be involved with breeding, not to mention hatching a 1000+ eggs for shiny hunting. Minus the music and that bloody Miltank, gen VII is basically an egg hatching machine compared to other gens when done right.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
No joke, I was hatching eggs by riding Tauros around and my circle pad fell off.
This was a common issue with the 3DS, I remember loads of stories of this happening when Super Smash Bros for 3DS came out (and some way back with Kid Icarus: Uprising).

Gen 7 is pretty simple, with flame body the cycle is like 1/7 of the original value, and with Tauros dashing even lengthy eggs takes only 4 back-and-forth between the city road (yes I take a straight line instead of that spinning thing because I don't wanna destroy my 3ds).

Gen 7 is pretty simple, with flame body the cycle is like 1/7 of the original value, and with Tauros dashing even lengthy eggs takes only 4 back-and-forth between the city road (yes I take a straight line instead of that spinning thing because I don't wanna destroy my 3ds).
I too did back-and-forth roads between the Heahea harbor and the Daycare. It kind of feels faster for some reason. I guess it's the fact you can do it without paying much attention.

I too did back-and-forth roads between the Heahea harbor and the Daycare. It kind of feels faster for some reason. I guess it's the fact you can do it without paying much attention.
It is for several reasons:

1. It's brain dead to just push the D pad in a certain direction and not looking at it for a certain while. You can watch some videos during the meantime or just loafing around, but spinning really needs to check whenever you are spinning correctly.

2. It's easier to keep check how much cycles (in Heahea route units) are needed to finish certain eggs. It's not easy to know how much spinning is needed to hatch a certain batch of eggs, but it's much easier to count how many straight lines you've travelled and how more steps are needed to finish it.

3. There is no need to get off from the Tauros ride to enter the PC.

Well, you only really have to concern yourself with IV's if you're aiming for Little Cup or need specific imperfect IV's this generation. I'm pretty sure Game Freak is against directly altering the IV's, but Hyper Training can make the stats act like they're flawless. Granted, you have to get the Pokemon to level 100 first, and that can be a bear to do...

1. You can try running in a beeline in Hea hea city (as I mentioned before), and now you can stop worrying about wrecking your D-pad anymore. Combined with Tauros and flame body the efficiency is so insane that it is no way less efficient than XY, but somehow people are obsessed with spinning in circles like a maniac despite it doesn't offer any sort of special merits.
2. This isn't a simulator nor a fan-made ripoff like Pixelmon, it still is a game meant for regular players and kids (and come on, without this screen how do you even know one of your eggs have been hatched mid-run?). Despite it can be a nuisance, as long as you have a small peek and see a black bar, and Tauros isn't running even you are running, just spam B or touch the touch screen and it will do things on its own which doesn't even take a part of your brain to do so. You can't just press the lower cross button and let it do its work like XY? Sure, but it isn't that horrifyingly bad at all.
3 and 4. Again, if you take the straight beeline instead of spinning for some reason, none of these are a problem at all. It always bugs me that despite the straight road in Heahea city is screaming Lumiose circle for hatching people are just so goddamned obsessed to spinning.

IV breeding is already super easy IMO since XY's guaranteed 5 IV inherit via Destiny Knot, and good enough Dittos and egg breeds are like very easy to obtain by SOS chaining (which I see it as a much more simplified version of XY's chaining). Besides as mentioned by Detective Barricade above with golden caps is almost as if GF already knew people will moan about IVs and add it as a new feature (though the level grinding is insanely hard this time), making it any more easier would be both redundant and game-ruining.

Something that annoys me now in terms of breeding is that there are too many useful items when you can only use two at a time. If you are, say, trying to breed for a specific IV for a Hidden Power type (having it guaranteed with a Power item) and at the same time a nature (and the Destiny Knot) there's always something you'll have to gamble.

One criticism that I heard about SM was there's little to do outside of battling.

It's correct.

Battles are fun for the chill fans but those looking for extra don't have much to do. Especially when you've battled every NPC in the game. There aren't any contests or Memory Link missions. There's no Dream World or Amie mini games. What we do have is Pelago, which is geared toward helping you battle stuff, and festival plaza, which isn't good enough if you ask me.

Last edited:
One criticism that I heard about SM was there's little to do outside of battling.

It's correct.

Battles are fun for the chill fans but those looking for extra don't have much to do. Especially when you've battled every NPC in the game. There aren't any contests or Memory Link missions. There's no Dream World or Amie mini games. What we do have is Pelago, which is geared toward helping you battle stuff, and festival plaza, which isn't good enough if you ask me.
Then again, this criticism can be made towards X/Y as well. It seems this is going to be the nature of the first set of main series games for new generations from now on. After all, why give players much of a post-game when clearly we'll buy the new games anyway? (not to mention having more to do than the previous games makes for very appealing incentive to buy the next set of games)

Is it really just the most recent two? Or maybe it's just the first iteration of any region lack accessories? Let's explore it:

Red/Blue: Nothing beyond battling here, save for catching them all back when that was still a legitimate goal. Unless you like slots. No battle tower even.

Gold/Silver: The bug catching contest is a side game if you squint hard enough, and the slots are back but little else. Still no battle tower.

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald: This is the first one to have a true sidegame with the pokemon contests, and to their credit they were pretty detailed and extensive. Also the first battle tower in a first region iteration makes it's appearance before becoming a series staple. And still gambling. Also secret bases to some extent, and the trick house if you like HM puzzles.

Diamond/Pearl: Super contests, gambling, a much better Battle Tower, and the underground for the spelunkers.

Black/White: Subway as the tower replacement but no more gambling, Musicals as a very stripped down contest replacement, and that's really it in the main game. Sure there's the Dream World and Entralink, but those are both defunct now (and hands up, how many actually used Entralink in Black/White, not the sequel? How many even remember it?) Overall a bit of a step back.

X/Y: Super Training and Pokemon Amie minigames, the Battle Maison bringing (in my opinion) the best battle tower format, and Pokemon videos? Gosh, I barely remember that feature. A few extra battle options to, introducing the restaurant battles, rated battles, and the battle Chateau for an interesting but clunky rematch system.

Sun/Moon: Battle Tree, Battle Royale, Battle Restaurant (if a bit stripped down from X/Y). Also photography but it's no Pokemon Snap.

I'm probably forgetting something, but I think it's safe to say that most of the beloved alternate features came from sequels, remakes, or third versions, not too many standouts from the first game of a generation. You can maybe make a case for R/S or D/P, but beyond that not really?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I personally dislike how they revamped all of the Gens 1-5 Pokemon cries in Gen 6. I can see why they would with the first two gens but the revamping of the cries in Gen 6 onwards really takes away from the charm that made all of the first five generation Pokemon cries distinctive and charming. There are some that I'm fine with, like Shiftry, but then you have revamped cries of stuff like Infernape, Stoutland, Staraptor, Druddigon, and Banette, which they completely botched in XY. Especially Stoutland. Its original cry had a unique sound that made Stouland come off as tough and intimidating, but now it just sounds like...a dog. Druddigon's original cry was hilarious and matched up well with its horrendously misfigured appearance and its XY onwards cry is just...blegh. The filter effect they put on a lot of cries really takes away the dramatic effect that the sounds of many of the cries had, especially the likes of Infernape and Stoutland. I can see why they wanted to revamp, to match up with the crisp and clear sound of XY, but at the same time I feel like they took away what made the original cries charming and distinctive, and the distinctive nature of each gen's Pokemon cries really made each generation's style special in their own unique ways. Especially Gens 3-5, which had their own charm to them and the sound of those cries was really good, and those cries took the most damage from XY's revamping of the cries. It's a shame too because the Gen 6 and 7 Pokemon cries themselves are quite good, which makes the botched nature of the pre-Gen 6 Pokemon cries more jarring to me.

Also I think it's kind of unfair for only Pikachu to have its anime cry and none of the other Pokemon. I can see why it would be hard to implement that for all of the Pokemon (a lot of voice-over data and voice recording from VAs would have to be done for that), but it's rather jarring for one Pokemon to say its name in game but everyone else having distinctive noises as cries because of the inconsistency. Especially if you intend on evolving Pikachu into Raichu.

Also I think it's kind of unfair for only Pikachu to have its anime cry and none of the other Pokemon. I can see why it would be hard to implement that for all of the Pokemon (a lot of voice-over data and voice recording from VAs would have to be done for that), but it's rather jarring for one Pokemon to say its name in game but everyone else having distinctive noises as cries because of the inconsistency. Especially if you intend on evolving Pikachu into Raichu.
Two words: Franchise Mascot.

On the subject of the line, however, the fact that you still cannot legally obtain a Lightning Rod Pikachu with Surf. Raichu does have Grass Knot and Focus Blast, meaning it's not completely devoid of non-HP coverage, and of course Raichu-A has STAB Psychic/Psyshock. I'm not even sure Surf would hit anything those moves plus HP Ice don't already. But it's a cool move, and Raichu deserves more love, so it should have Surf and still have its HA. QED.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)