(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

YOu know what we should really have the option to skip?? THE POKESTAR STUDIOS.

Not only does it force you to mash A for five minutes, it forces you to save your game meaning you can't have a playthrough without deleting your currently existing file. Catching tutorials have nothing on this one.

Anyway a mild annoyance that I've had recently are those dumb gates in Sun and Moon that have like a second or two of loading before you can enter. I know you know what I'm talking about.

YOu know what we should really have the option to skip?? THE POKESTAR STUDIOS.

Not only does it force you to mash A for five minutes, it forces you to save your game meaning you can't have a playthrough without deleting your currently existing file. Catching tutorials have nothing on this one.

Anyway a mild annoyance that I've had recently are those dumb gates in Sun and Moon that have like a second or two of loading before you can enter. I know you know what I'm talking about.
I thought you had to delete your previous save file anyway to begin a new play through? (granted, I've not bothered to try on my White 2 game, so...)

I wish these games weren't so stingy with evolution items, they're all over the place with availability. One generation can be generous but the next game will give you just one and that's it!

Like in R/B/Y the stones were purchasable (except the Moonstone, which was limited and had to be found), then in G/S/C you had to do a mini-quest for Bill just to get 1 of each, in Gen 3 you had to trade shards which were semi-hard to find at the time, and even modern games make you shell out a lot of BP just to get some of them.

And don't get me started on the amount of hoops you have to jump through to evolve into Weavile in Sun/Moon.

Evolving your pokemon is a basic concept and shouldn't be so limited. These games really have no excuse for not making all evolution items easily purchasable by post-game.
Honestly, the hold items are the only difficult ones these days, since the evolution stones proper are easily obtained via Poke Pelago.

On that note, I wish there was a way to evolve trade evolution Pokemon without actually having to trade them, like that old Gen IV GTS glitch let you do.

On that note, I wish there was a way to evolve trade evolution Pokemon without actually having to trade them, like that old Gen IV GTS glitch let you do.
Sorry, socialization! </GameFreak>

They could add some kind of feature in the GTS that transfers a Pokemon and immediately returns it, although I guess that could have more connection interruption glitches than regular transfers.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
today, i'm going to tell you about the game that could have been. i'm pretty sure not many of you have played it.

the pokemon rumble series.

(disclaimer: i'm going to only be reviewing rumble blast, because that's the only one i have. idk what they fixed after that)

this series takes a different take on battling: your pokemon can move around freely (no grid or anything) with the circle pad, and you have 2 attacks that you can use with the a and b buttons. it gives you a view from above. the objective is simple: beat all the pokemon in the dungeon. rewards include money and some of the pokemon you defeat along the way (they drop randomly, mystery dungeon style). recruited pokemon have two random attacks from their movepool in most cases, with a failsafe built in to make sure it has a way to deal damage.

all things considered, it's a pretty fun game. the plot isn't pmd level but it's pretty decent nonetheless, and the dungeons can be fun to run through with different mons and their moves. something that can be frustrating but also cool is that type matchups hold almost no weight, so you can use the same mon in pretty much any dungeon of its level.

but really, the main game does leave you wanting more. the system the game has where your mons have no way of getting stronger (meaning that you need to catch more powerful ones to keep up with the curve) is cool because it encouraged you to try different stuff, but you really do start to want a "main party" at some point. and thus we arrive at the postgame.

the postgame sets all the dungeons on the same level, meaning that you can get any mon you like and still keep up with the curve. this level can be increased using...

money.

that's right. the postgame is basically one giant money grind.

it starts out small, but it gets out of control pretty quickly. i'm currently on the second to last one, and it costs 10 million pokedollars. in context, each dungeon run provides about 50,000. this is not ok. i'm pretty sure the last one is like 50 million or something absurd like that

did they add in systems to help you get money fast? yes, they did. but let's take a closer look at them:

the battle locale is a pretty neat idea. in it, you get thrown into a random dungeon with only a rattata. the goal is to outmaneuver and recruit foes to help you beat the boss. if you win, you get a cash bonus on top of the money from the dungeon (which increases when you complete more dungeons consecutively). it's kind of luck based depending on what dungeon you get (factory is almost impossible from my experience) but it really is a true test of dungeon skill.

the only problem? it doesn't keep up with the world rank's increasing demand. in my case, you need six consecutive wins to even double your earnings. it shouldn't be like that because i want a reason not to quickly destroy every dungeon with all my legendary mons

the upper levels of the last town contain something called the ex team battles. these are pretty cool because they keep up with the world ranks–the higher the rank, the more powerful mons you can get, the higher level team battles you can take on, the more money you get. i can handle team battle ex 5, which gives an impressive 200,000 pokedollars per run. it's really repetitive though because unlike normal dungeon runs you're just facing the same guys over and over again

besides the team battle, there's another option in the upper levels: the battle royale. let's talk about the battle royale

it starts you off in the center of a bunch of mons. you'd think all the mons would immediately charge at you, but that would be too predictable. in addition to attacking you, they also attack each other.

this basically takes any skill you could have accumulated through playing this game and throws it out the window. the battle royales in the story are manageable because the mons mainly just tackle each other, but you can tell that they hand picked the guys for the postgame ones. there's chandelures spamming infernos everywhere that are extremely easy to run into, night slash bisharps with a deceptively short charge time, and of course the kool-aid man of pokemon, zekrom, charging all the way across the screen out of nowhere with bolt strike.

there is a time limit. i have lost in last mon situations i should have won because my mon didn't do enough damage in a short enough amount of time. you can pick up 3 second time bonuses from defeated pokemon, but you have to run into the fray to grab them or they disappear after like 5 seconds.

the final boss in the story is a complete pushover if you beat the guy before him. that's a shame because the final boss theme is actually so good but it only lasts for like 30 seconds because you've probably won by then. i've heard rumors that the same music plays for arceus but man i don't have enough money to fight that guy yet

that music isn't the only good thing about this game, either. it has a toy model for every single mon, it has some nice scenery, and it actually adapts nearly every move to its combat style (dragon tail causes the user to charge forward in a curve, knocking away any mons in its path; razor wind creates a temporary ring around the user that deals damage to any foe that touches it; entry hazards deal ranged damage to foes behind the user). but ultimately, the game is held back so much by all these flaws, meaning that few people actually bought it and got to appreciate this stuff. i still pick it up sometimes because it's fun, but it's not really something you can focus on for more than about a week.

thanks for reading

Now I found out that you can't buy a new white outfit after you dye your previous white dye. This means if you want to have it different colours of same outfit, you have to use the dye house which takes a space in Festival Plaza spot and takes Festival Coins instead of money (which, while FC is easier to get in U-SM, money is until now still easier and more fun to get with Battle Buffet abuse), which annoys me so much, since I need few things to be able to have multiple sets of appearance.

I just want two pairs of long socks, one Pastel Purple as Espeon and the other White as Sylveon (paired with pink shoes)!!

Also, the white headbands in Konikoni Jewellery can't be dyed... well, OK, it's jewellery, but why can't I dye my Satin Bow Headband?
There goes my hope to go virtually all pastel purple as Espeon....

Last edited:
That any gen except 7 and 1 expects you to know how to actually play the game (I started with sun but AS really annoyed me when there was no one telling you where to go after route 116. Do I go north, south, or west?)
Also why have the sons of magikarps at gf not added autosave?!

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
That any gen except 7 and 1 expects you to know how to actually play the game (I started with sun but AS really annoyed me when there was no one telling you where to go after route 116. Do I go north, south, or west?)
I admit I don't really get this one since there's literally nowhere to go but to the gym that Norman told you to go to. North of Rustboro you run into impassable cliffs very quickly, west is the blocked off Rustarf Tunnel, and you came from the south. If you're talking about after the gym and beating the Team Magqua grunt then it tells you pretty explicitly where to go.

Mr. Stone in Devon Corp said:
"You'll have to cross the sea to reach Dewford, of course. I'll ask Mr. Briney, the old sailor who lives in that hut on Route 104, to help with the crossing. Go find him, and he should agree to help you. I'm counting on you, young man/lady! If you're ever unsure of what to do, just come and talk with me again!"

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Also why have the sons of magikarps at gf not added autosave?!
Maybe it’s just me, but autosave is one of those things that may sound useful for the series at first, but would be disastrous in execution. I could see it being especially problematic for catching legendaries: nothing would suck more if you were trying to SR, say, a Timid HP Ice Thundurus, and the game automatically saves after you catch the first one and it ends up being Adamant. Autosave would also bog down the game’s pace for things like speedrunning, and it would flat out prevent nuzlockes w/o having to delete your main save (a big criticism for B2W2 with nuzlockers)

Autosave is fine where it is, with multiplayer functions such as trading and the battle facilities

Last edited:
I actually think USUM added the best alternative to an autosave feature: a reminder to save every half-hour or so from the Rotomdex. In-keeping with this thread I actually find the Rotomdex's constant interjections really annoying when I'm wanting to look at the map but it wants to tell me for the billionth time I can set ride Pokémon to the D-pad, but the prompts to save my game actually did make me save my game every once in a while since I usually forget on my own and hence this is the one redeeming quality to its eternal jabbering.

I actually think USUM added the best alternative to an autosave feature: a reminder to save every half-hour or so from the Rotomdex. In-keeping with this thread I actually find the Rotomdex's constant interjections really annoying when I'm wanting to look at the map but it wants to tell me for the billionth time I can set ride Pokémon to the D-pad, but the prompts to save my game actually did make me save my game every once in a while since I usually forget on my own and hence this is the one redeeming quality to its eternal jabbering.
If anything what it can be really annoying is RotomDex telling you to heal your Pokemon. It does not matter if you are in a zone where there's a healer, or you are entering the Pokemon Center, or you have already healed. It will keep its reminder until you reply.

If anything what it can be really annoying is RotomDex telling you to heal your Pokemon. It does not matter if you are in a zone where there's a healer, or you are entering the Pokemon Center, or you have already healed. It will keep its reminder until you reply.
Definitely. Much like the prompts on PSS in Gen 6 (I forgot exactly what the nature of those were), these are obviously fine and probably positive for new players and even cute early game but they get really grating after a while so it would be nice if you could turn them off.

Mabye it was just me, but I found that after Rotom asked about a nickname, the amount of helpful hints skyrocketed. By the time you'll have enough friendship with Rotom for this you'll already have a good grasp on mechanics and knowing when to heal your Pokemon. I personally find it cute but I'm not sure why they locked hints that would benefit new players most after they would need them.

I was dozing off and im now called Roto I for the rest of my cartridge life, They should really allow you to change these kind of things.

Mabye it was just me, but I found that after Rotom asked about a nickname, the amount of helpful hints skyrocketed. By the time you'll have enough friendship with Rotom for this you'll already have a good grasp on mechanics and knowing when to heal your Pokemon. I personally find it cute but I'm not sure why they locked hints that would benefit new players most after they would need them.
Yeah its an odd design choice.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I was dozing off and im now called Roto I for the rest of my cartridge life, They should really allow you to change these kind of things.
After a while he should ask if it can call you Master. Not sure what happens if you say no, but after a few awkward hours after picking yes it asked to just calling me by my name again.

Though you're right, you should have an option what your nickname is if Rotom Dex is going to constantly be talking to you.

I don't really get all the Rotom Dex hate, though perhaps it would have been nice to have the option to not have it speak unless you tap the screen to interact with it for those who absolutely can't stand it.
It's kind of... overblown but the quotes it uses are poorly designed.

Today, RotomDex has started giving me tips like burning the opponent to cut their physical damage or paralyzing a fast target to neutralize it, which would be handy tips (since things like this are never explained in-game) were it not for the fact he's started to tell me about this in the post-game.

Let's add another tiny, perhaps a little spoiler-ish (which is why I'm hiding it) thing about USUM that can be annoying.

You cannot swap Pokemon after crossing an Ultra Wormhole. Fine, it would not make any sense plot-wise if you could, but you can only bring up to 6 Synchronizers given the fact the Pokemon you encounter is random, unlike ORAS's Hoopa Rings. Say, right now I'm crossing the Ultra Space with a Level 100 Kartana with False Swipe, alongside five Synchronize Kadabras: Jolly, Adamant, Modest, Timid and Calm just in case.

It's kind of... overblown but the quotes it uses are poorly designed.

Today, RotomDex has started giving me tips like burning the opponent to cut their physical damage or paralyzing a fast target to neutralize it, which would be handy tips (since things like this are never explained in-game) were it not for the fact he's started to tell me about this in the post-game.

Let's add another tiny, perhaps a little spoiler-ish (which is why I'm hiding it) thing about USUM that can be annoying.

You cannot swap Pokemon after crossing an Ultra Wormhole. Fine, it would not make any sense plot-wise if you could, but you can only bring up to 6 Synchronizers given the fact the Pokemon you encounter is random, unlike ORAS's Hoopa Rings
It's been doing that for me for awhile now, and I've yet to do the ghost trial. But really, the only times it bugs me is when I can't do anything else until it finishes talking. Otherwise I just kind of ignore what it has to say.

I know you get to change this for future use, and I already have. But given that they force you to use it for at least the first time...

FUCK GYRO CONTROLS
The worst part is that they hide the method to changing it in an obscure place. I never would have thought to go to the GF offices to change the controls. I only found out you could by reading a post somewhere. The average player probably won't figure out you can change the controls. Of all the design choices in this game, this is the worst. At least you can come up with reasons why they did other bad choices, but this? This is shockingly bad.

After a while he should ask if it can call you Master. Not sure what happens if you say no, but after a few awkward hours after picking yes it asked to just calling me by my name again.

Though you're right, you should have an option what your nickname is if Rotom Dex is going to constantly be talking to you.
If you say no he keeps calling you Roto-[first letter of your name].

I found being called master to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too pervy for E for Everyone, but since my in-game character's name is "Dude" being called Roto-D isn't much better.

Although the trade-off is the entire affair is the Big Lebowski, so it's a curse I'll live with.

NO! Stop it game!

This is as silly as naming a pidgey butt.

It's just plain silly.

I guess master is some English slang of superior or something I doubt they went with actual master in Japanese.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 5)