Little things you like about Pokémon

I'm... frankly not sure if it already happened in Sun and Moon, but I noticed that, after clearing the main story in Ultra Sun, several NPCs, such as the Pokemon Center nurses or the Pokemon Breeder that runs the Paniola Nursery, greet you as "Champion".

It makes something that feels like routine at this point in the series feel much better.

I'm... frankly not sure if it already happened in Sun and Moon, but I noticed that, after clearing the main story in Ultra Sun, several NPCs, such as the Pokemon Center nurses or the Pokemon Breeder that runs the Paniola Nursery, greet you as "Champion".

It makes something that feels like routine at this point in the series feel much better.
I don't recall being greeted as Champion by any of the NPC's in Sun, so I think that's something new. (and frankly welcomed given we're supposed to be the region's first-ever League champions)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
One little detail I like during Ultra Necrozma's Z-Move: after doing the pose, more light/energy is taken from the trainer and they stoop over in exhaustion. Very Necrozma thing to do, only wished it has a more original animation than the Psychic Z-Move pose.

One little detail I like during Ultra Necrozma's Z-Move: after doing the pose, more light/energy is taken from the trainer and they stoop over in exhaustion. Very Necrozma thing to do, only wished it has a more original animation than the Psychic Z-Move pose.
Not surprising, considering Necrozma's Z-Move basically annihilates the other Pokemon from existence. I like how incredibly over the top and insane that animation is.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'm not sure if this has been said here before, but I really love the fact that you can have auto-running shoes in Pokemon HGSS. For me, I always hold down the B button anyway out of habit, but I feel like for new players, it's such a great feature, and should have remained in the series.
Which, on a related note, is why I kind of prefer Stoutland Search over Tauros Charge for my fast traveling Poke Ride. Sure, Tauros Charge when charging is faster but the reason why the bike was a well like item was because it made the player faster without having to hold a button down. Also Stoutland Search is a bit easier to control, and at any time you can see if there's maybe a hidden item.

"This sounds like something that belongs in the "little things that annoy me" thread"

I'm heading their next, expanding on this for Poke Ride just in general.

Usually I'm not a fan of things that make playing through the game easier but having access to almost unlimited Leppa Berries from early on in gen VII makes using strong moves with little PP much more usable. Also means you can have better move coverage rather than a strong STAB and a weaker back up STAB for saving PP.
It also helps with the purpose of training against thousands of Blissey without running out of PP.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The Japan Pokemon Youtube posted two interesting videos that probably should have been released around Halloween (what next, seasonal stuff during Easter?):

First, an actually creepy yet jaunty song for Gengar:

Then, a really surprising but neat one, it's the story of Charon meeting Rotom:

Could someone translate the Charon & Rotom one? The story is told from Kid Charon's perspective so curious if this reveals anything about his character.

Last edited:
Could someone translate the Charon & Rotom one? The story is told from Kid Charon's perspective so curious if this reveals anything about his character.
I'm just doing this from the time stamp of the video, since I probably don't have time to do the whole thing before I go on vacation (but in case I do, I'll update my post).

気にすることなんてないのに!
I'm not really cautious

ぼくはだいじょうぶだよ
But I'll be fine

いつものように遊ぼうよ!
Let's play as we always do!

いっぱい言葉があふれてくるのに、
There are so many words,

それを聞いてくれる友だちは、どこにも見つからなくて...
But I can't find anyone who will listen to them...

それは、ロトムを探しているときだったんだ。
That was when I went looking for Rotom.

ぼくはゴミ捨て場で、おもちゃのロボットを見つけた。
I found a toy robot at a rubbish dump.

ぼくと目が合ったロボットは、なぜだか手を振ってくれた。
Our eyes met, and for some reason it waved at me.

それがロトムだとわかったぼくは、かけ寄り
Knowing it was Rotom, I ran over

力いっぱい抱きしめたまま、ぼくはロトムにたくさん話しかけた。
I hugged it tightly and spoke to it.

そのたびに、ロボットの目がうれしそうな光って...
It was then, the robot's eyes lit up with joy...

きっと中のロトムから、たくさんの電気が出ているんだろう。
It was the Rotom inside that was giving off the light.

なんだか、今までよりもロトムのことがわかる気がした。
I felt like I knew Rotom better than ever before.

そしてぼくたちは、ずっといっしょだということも。
And then, we said we would be together forever.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'm just doing this from the time stamp of the video, since I probably don't have time to do the whole thing before I go on vacation (but in case I do, I'll update my post).

気にすることなんてないのに!
I'm not really cautious

ぼくはだいじょうぶだよ
But I'll be fine

いつものように遊ぼうよ!
Let's play as we always do!

いっぱい言葉があふれてくるのに、
There are so many words,

それを聞いてくれる友だちは、どこにも見つからなくて...
But I can't find anyone who will listen to them...

それは、ロトムを探しているときだったんだ。
That was when I went looking for Rotom.

ぼくはゴミ捨て場で、おもちゃのロボットを見つけた。
I found a toy robot at a rubbish dump.

ぼくと目が合ったロボットは、なぜだか手を振ってくれた。
Our eyes met, and for some reason it waved at me.

それがロトムだとわかったぼくは、かけ寄り
Knowing it was Rotom, I ran over

力いっぱい抱きしめたまま、ぼくはロトムにたくさん話しかけた。
I hugged it tightly and spoke to it.

そのたびに、ロボットの目がうれしそうな光って...
It was then, the robot's eyes lit up with joy...

きっと中のロトムから、たくさんの電気が出ているんだろう。
It was the Rotom inside that was giving off the light.

なんだか、今までよりもロトムのことがわかる気がした。
I felt like I knew Rotom better than ever before.

そしてぼくたちは、ずっといっしょだということも。
And then, we said we would be together forever.
Oh, I didn't realize the new format saved time stamps! Sorry about that, that wasn't suppose to be there. Gotten rid of it. But thanks for the translations so far!

So seems to be just an expansion on the story that was known so far, interesting.

I downloaded Pokemon Bank a few weeks ago, and there's something I realized about it that I just really like:

It allows you to safely do multiple playthroughs of one game without worrying about your team members going missing (since you can easily transfer them over). This was the one thing preventing me from doing Nuzlockes and Monotype runs in-game, and I love that I'm able to do those now without worrying about important Pokemon going missing.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Even though I kinda dislike Alola for not having half as many dungeons as the other regions, I have to admit that dungeons are done pretty well once they are featured. I think Vast Poni Canyon might be the best dungeon in the series to date.

You actually run through most of Vast Poni Canyon in your lead-up to the dungeon entrance. That long stretch before you enter the cave is actually the titular canyon, and you're running along its bottom. The cave is almost at the end, but the short route through is blocked the first time you enter it. So instead you have to go in a big clockwise circle to the top of the canyon, cross it twice on bridges, then go down the cliffs on the other side. As you progress through the dungeon, you get scenic views of the path ahead of you and behind you (approximately halfway through, you are overlooking the entrance).

The dungeon has three small paths branching out, containing a couple of trainers and a TM at the end. Finding the entrance to those paths is a little tricky (two of them requires you to duck under branches/roots, one has you crawl through a narrow hole), but following them is rewarding. For two of the paths, you can see the prize at the end from elevated positions elsewhere in the dungeon, hinting to the paths' existence.

And when you get to the end of the dungeon, you can go back and open the shortcut that lets you pass through the canyon quickly in future runs. This also lets you go back to/from a save point (Pokémon Center), should you lose the upcoming Totem battle.

I think Vast Poni Canyon is really well designed overall. I hope we will see more dungeons like it in future games!

Even though I kinda dislike Alola for not having half as many dungeons as the other regions, I have to admit that dungeons are done pretty well once they are featured. I think Vast Poni Canyon might be the best dungeon in the series to date.

You actually run through most of Vast Poni Canyon in your lead-up to the dungeon entrance. That long stretch before you enter the cave is actually the titular canyon, and you're running along its bottom. The cave is almost at the end, but the short route through is blocked the first time you enter it. So instead you have to go in a big clockwise circle to the top of the canyon, cross it twice on bridges, then go down the cliffs on the other side. As you progress through the dungeon, you get scenic views of the path ahead of you and behind you (approximately halfway through, you are overlooking the entrance).

The dungeon has three small paths branching out, containing a couple of trainers and a TM at the end. Finding the entrance to those paths is a little tricky (two of them requires you to duck under branches/roots, one has you crawl through a narrow hole), but following them is rewarding. For two of the paths, you can see the prize at the end from elevated positions elsewhere in the dungeon, hinting to the paths' existence.

And when you get to the end of the dungeon, you can go back and open the shortcut that lets you pass through the canyon quickly in future runs. This also lets you go back to/from a save point (Pokémon Center), should you lose the upcoming Totem battle.

I think Vast Poni Canyon is really well designed overall. I hope we will see more dungeons like it in future games!
I think it holds up well even in USUM considering some of the improved/changed dungeons in it. (which I think I'll avoid talking about for possible spoiler reasons)

It has been a while. Not going to post anything exclusive to US/UM since I'm not sure if we are allowed to do so yet. So here are some things I liked from other games as well as some things that are in all Gen 7 games.

There's a kind of haunted house in Festival Plaza named Trick Room. I like how it manages to be a play on words in such a way that it is both a logical name for a haunted house while also being named after a Pokemon move.

In the restaurant in Konikoni, there is a painting behind the counter. If you talk to it, you get the following message: "It's a painting that sets your imagination on fire, but some people wouldn't understand it. The signature on the bottom reads: Mina." I like how it gives a small hint towards a character you haven't met in the game at that point and what said character likes to do. This exists in both S/M and US/UM but I only noticed it while playing through Ultra Moon. It is a very minor detail but I love small things like that.

I like how they redesigned the Hikers in Gen 7 to make them look different compared to the very stereotypical design they had during Gens 1-6.

Guzma's glasses. This one took me a long while to notice, but after looking a bit closer at their shape I realized that they are shaped like the sun and the moon. A fun little detail.

One thing from X/Y. Before beating the main game, there's an old man in Anistar City who asks if he can borrow a low-leveled Pokemon from the player to keep him company. If you let him borrow one and come back after beating the game, you will find that the man has died but he has left a message with a thank you for letting him have the Pokemon to keep him company, the Pokemon in its ball, as well as a Comet Shard. I found that moment incredibly touching when I played X/Y. Because of that, I decided to keep and raise the Pokemon I left with him in X, I also nicknamed it Memory just so I would never forget the old man or the moment when I came back only to find him gone.

One thing from X/Y. Before beating the main game, there's an old man in Anistar City who asks if he can borrow a low-leveled Pokemon from the player to keep him company. If you let him borrow one and come back after beating the game, you will find that the man has died but he has left a message with a thank you for letting him have the Pokemon to keep him company, the Pokemon in its ball, as well as a Comet Shard. I found that moment incredibly touching when I played X/Y. Because of that, I decided to keep and raise the Pokemon I left with him in X, I also nicknamed it Memory just so I would never forget the old man or the moment when I came back only to find him gone.
Well, think of the fact one of the Pokemon you could give him is a Litwick...

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I always thought it was so neat how they added people in select locations in Pokemon BW/BW2 that were able to add additions to the soundtrack. Notable ones being the people in Accumula Town, those at Village Bridge, the ones in Opelucid City, and more. The ones in Accumula made the soundtrack so much better too. Also, I wasn't made aware of this until recently, but those four people dancing in Icirrus City are (theoretically) adding claps to the theme.

These guys.

1516415030241.png

I also have to admit I spent more than 20 minutes in total gameplay time just blocking their paths and ruining their flow.

Nah man, everyone does it. When you see an NPC walking around in a set path, especially when they're being chased/following by another, you gotta block their path just to see how the game handles this sudden variable change. Consider yourself a post release bug tester.
Making Peeko chase Mr Briney just because you can was my favourite past time.

Also the dancing NPCs walked through walls if you had a walk through walls code making for some fun outcomes.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
If you want to check out some awesome Metal covers of Pokemon themes check out a Youtuber named LittleVMills. He's a professional metal musician (played in a few bands, taught for a while though I think he plans on retiring thanks to his subscribers on Patreon). He's done a tone of Pokemon Metal (and an acoustic of Kanto Route 1) covers. He's also done a tone of other video game, anime, and movie covers so if you like his Pokemon covers I would highly suggest checking his other stuff out. He's also done a few Let's Plays, Q&As, and other random videos and he seems to be a really nice guy with a great sense of humor.

While not quite as direct as the other example, I really like that the VC release of Pokémon Crystal continues a trend from ORAS of just having a Mythical Pokémon simply be available in the main game without needing any external event or whatever. It means that long after Gamestop distributions have died, you'll still be able to get a Celebi - and a Deoxys - in some form.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)