SM UU M. Alt Throwdown [Peaked top 100]

M. Alt Throwdown

Yo, yo, yo! I took a break from Pokemon for a bit, and just starting to get back into the meta. I've been playing around on the UU ladder (one of my favorite formats), and created this team that has been performing pretty dang well. It's definitely not perfect, but I think it's definitely pretty solid. I've peaked around top 100, so something has to be working well.

This team is pretty offensively oriented. Loosely follows my traditional strategy for teambuilding: two fat things, a couple sweepers, a scarfer, and a wallbreaker. So, without further ado, lemme get into the team.

Proof of Peak

Floof! (Altaria-Mega) @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

Loosely the star of the show. Mega Alt has always been an effective mega for me to use on the ladder, so I picked this up as the starting point. Gives me a foundation to build off of: dragon type which starts me off with a bunch of good resistances, as well as a fairy to act as a dragon immunity. The real goal here, though, is to be a set up sweeper -- so just running the standard DD set. I messed around with bulky M Alt for a while, but I tend to be a much more offensive player, so that didn't work as well for me.

Noble af (Cobalion) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Rock Polish

With M Alt on the team I knew other fairies, poison types, ice types, steels, posed a threat. Cobalion slots in perfctely, being able switch into and/or take down all those types. This also acts as a pretty effective late game cleaner if M Alt can't pull it off, or simply SD + Z move alone is enough to break down a team a lot.

shrooms, my dude (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Toxic
- Foul Play

With two big offensive threats on the team, I wanted to add in some defense. Amoongus is one of the most effective in the tier, with regenerator providing some really good longevity. Arguably most valuably this provides with a fairy resist, as that's not something I have on the team yet. Spore & toxic seems contradictory, but it's actually proved very useful. A lot of people expect the spore coming and switch to their grass type/mandi, only to catch a toxic. Toxic is also very good for helping wear down walls. It takes a couple predictions but it works pretty effectively, in my experience.

lmao fat (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind

Second part of the defensive pair. Typing wise, Amoongus and Hippo don't pair amazingly, but with the other mons on my team I have most things covered. Plus, Hippo provides a lot of very good support for the squad. Gives me stealth rocks, a must on a hella ton teams. As well as phasing, to help me deal with a super threatening sweeper. Beyond that, it's really just a super hard to break physical wall, able to switch into a lot of threats. Ground typing is also nice to stop volt switch spam, but I haven't found that to be a huge issue anyway.

happy bunny! (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

This is the N1 wallbreaker on the squad, because banded huge power anything hits like a truck. The priority also makes is a very good revenge killer, or late game cleaner if the other team is low enough. Moveset is really self-explanatory. Typing slots into the team very well, as well. The fairy type gives me something else to lean on, before M Alt evolves. And, the water typing gives me another ice resist, which is extremely valuable (esp w/ the next two members). Originally I had a Mamoswine in this slot, but I found I preferred the water type more than the second ground, as much as I adore Mamo.

R A W R (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Focus Blast

Last we got my boy Hydreigon on the squad. Originally I had a scarf Chandelure on this slot, but I took it off for a couple reasons. First, if you haven't noticed, this team has no removal, so chandy got worn down by rocks way to quickly. Secondly, I was having a lot of issues with psychics (no resists, albeit only one weakness), so I really wanted a dark type. I toyed with A-Muk, but I really wanted a scarfer, so Hydreigon seemed like the most viable option. So, here we are. Moveset is a pretty standard scarf set, but it does its job. Helps out the team a lot -- and even non-boosted draco can bust some huge holes.

THREATLIST

Mamoswine -- Can hit a lot of my team super effectively, and the ice shard priority is pretty hard to deal with. Generally gets a kill, and then I bring out azu. Or if you can get Coba (or azu) in on an ice move.

Infernape -- Not always hard to deal with, but there are some sets that give me a hard time. Especially sets with mach punch & gunk shot. Generally you can play around it, but occasionally a set will throw me off, like switching my hippo into a Z-S Beam.

Amoongus -- Just fat A F, and I don't have anything to hit it with a STAB s/e move (best is to nail it with ice punch azu on the switch). Also, spore gets super annoying.

Steel Types -- Not all steel types, but some do get pretty annoying (especially scizor and forre). The only thing I really have on the team to deal with steels straight up, thanks to my lack of a fire type, is Coba, and that's not always strong enough unboosted (esp if it hits them for neutral).

IMPORTABLE
Floof! (Altaria-Mega) @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

Noble af (Cobalion) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Rock Polish

shrooms, my dude (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Toxic
- Foul Play

lmao fat (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind

happy bunny! (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

R A W R (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Focus Blast

So yeah, that's the team! Not perfect (unlike every other team ever), but has been pretty effective, and definitely a lot of fun.

Luthier

Don’t get mad, get even.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
yo, yo, yo! I really liked the team and I thought I would give you some advice on what I think would be cool.

Something that you didn't really consider when you were building this team was your spike stack answers and your answer to klefi in general. Especially since you don't have things like heal bell on altaria and such, your team kinda gets bopped by klefki is two ways:
  • It has no real answer to spike stacking and hazards in general
  • Whenever you manage to set up with your coballion or altaria, klefi comes around to bite you in the ass with a twave.
In order to change this I have one of two suggestions to your team:
You can make this your hydreigon set to make sure that you are better able to deal with klefki or hazard stack
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast/Defog

Another issue to the team is that you are very weak to nidoking and also Coballion.
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

The given EV spread with an Impish nature allows Hippowdon to avoid getting 2HKOed by Choice Specs Raikou's Hidden Power Ice while retaining enough physical bulk to always survive a +2 All-Out Pummeling from Cobalion. This way you actually have an answer to coballion.

Something else to note is your lack of way to deal with Serperior. I know that you think it's good having the mushroom. But the moment that they figure out that you don't run a poison type move on your set, sub leaf storm literally 6-0's your team.
Hence, I suggest that you run this instead
Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb / Clear Smog
- Foul Play

The last thing I wanted to bring up is specs magneton. It is a very underrated mon in how much power is can pack, especially if it runs analytic. If you end up putting a different mon to sleep, with rocks up, specs mag kinda pushes it close to 2 hit KO amoongus (If modest, which is probably not run often, but regardless you have to be careful) . On top of that, you have no real switch in to the mon and you have to play guessing games.
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cobalion: 352-415 (108.9 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magneton Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 315-372 (75 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I think that the best way to deal with this is simply just being careful, and that is something you should keep in mind while playing. In the end, cool team. I would've liked to see a couple of replays. I think it's good now but could be better. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)