Magearna Discussion

That's why I'm erring on the idea of a mixed set. Fleur Cannon can knock out defensive walls and your physical attacks are actually benefitting from shift gear. Her passive will help restore some power back to Fleur Cannon when getting kills as well. Shift gear for an entirely special set is just a waste since, in my opinion, wasting a turn just to move faster, but not hit harder, isn't going to be enough to take out whatever counter just switched in.

Specs will be the premiere special attacking set when all is said and done. The same way Draco meteor spec sets work.
Almost as if the cannon is powered by the life force of Pokemon...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
With that movepool, is there any mon Magearna cannot touch? (It is a genuine question, not one in which to make a point.)
Let's see, it has Fairy, Steel, Fighting, Ice, Electric, Ghost, and Grass.

I think it can hit everything for at least neutral. That said, it's not the potential but its moveset that's the issue. It can only have four moves and two will be for its STABs (idealy). Fairy & Steel is walled by Steel and Fire, and while Fighting can be dealt with Aura Sphere there's nothing it can do for Fire.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Its moves are fine; STABs + Volt Switch and filler (T-Wave, Pain Split, or a coverage move) will get you pretty far. You'll be spamming Volt Switch anyway if the opponent has Heatran (or you can T-Wave it first) and it's not like many Grounds want to deal with Magearna outside of Excadrill.

Last edited:
With that movepool, is there any mon Magearna cannot touch? (It is a genuine question, not one in which to make a point.)
I'm not sure how relevant Arcanine is anymore, but the standard defensive set can be somewhat of a check, even after a Soul Heart boost. It should outspeed as well. Really, any bulky fire-type handles it decently, granted a lot have secondary types that are weak to it's coverage or neutralize Magearna's STABs. Here are a couple of calcs though (Fleur Cannon is still technically stronger than all it's neutral coverage, but with only one use). I'm guessing it will choose to run Volt Switch over TBolt, with Shadow Ball or Aura Sphere being its best neutral.

+1 252+ SpA Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 210-248 (54.8 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Diancie Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 194-229 (50.6 - 59.7%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Diancie Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 173-204 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

8 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Magearna: 252-296 (69.2 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Offensive set outright OHKOs it, but will probably kill itself in the process

252 Atk Life Orb Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Magearna: 400-476 (109.8 - 130.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Arcanine has not been OU-relevant since just before Mega Mawile got the boot, and even then it was pretty bad. Heatran probably is going to be the only commonly used defensive Fire-type around in OU thanks to Talonflame getting nerfed so badly, and a Volt Switch to Lando-T or Dugtrio takes care of that.

Arcanine has not been OU-relevant since just before Mega Mawile got the boot, and even then it was pretty bad. Heatran probably is going to be the only defensive Fire-type around in OU thanks to Talonflame getting nerfed so badly.
Ahh, alright. I remember Arcanine being a pretty good back when I played but it's been quite a while. Then yeah, Heatran is probably the only one that will be relevant. Wonder if Magearna will get Earth Power from move tutors? Then it'd have access to pretty much flawless coverage.

I'm going to try

Magearna @ Fairy Z-Crystal
Rash, 4 Atk, 252 SAtk, 252 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Explosion
- Volt Switch
- Gear Shift

just for the nuke-potential. After one Gear Shift, you're just fast enough to outspeed ScarfChomp, Z-Fleur Cannon, first nuke and probably first kill, +1 Fleur Cannon second nuke, Explosion third nuke. Won't be viable, but fun as hell.

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
This thing looks so good, it's speed will be an issue in singles, but I can see it being a solid switch-in to latis, then unleash a powerful fleur cannon+ volt switch to pivot is cool af. Oh, God please somehow give it earth power so that it literally has zero switch-ins.

On the other hand, this thing will eat souls in doubles. That typing + solid coverage + excellent bulk for an 130 special attack mon + can run TR for supporting itself as well as the team. Finally we will get an offensive TR user that isn't hoopa-unbound also it's ability is pretty handy allowing it to offset it's fleur cannon drops to an extent. Though for some reason it doesn't get moonblast :/.

Sylveon.

Because they want you to use Fleur Cannon for singles or Gleam for doubles.
Well, meh dazzling gleam is too weak anyways even after a STAB boost. Fleur Cannon will be better anyways.

Edit: Also this thing + dugtrio(now 100 base attack) is going to be rad imo

Well, meh dazzling gleam is too weak anyways even after a STAB boost. Fleur Cannon will be better anyways.

Edit: Also this thing + dugtrio(now 100 base attack) is going to be rad imo
It's far from weak in doubles. It hits both opponents you know? It's higher Damage Per Turn no matter how you spin it.

Pair it with A-Golem/Sivally and then when they STAB explode, killing themselves and the opponent, you should receive up to 3 special attack boosts from your ability and then a Gleam will wreck face.

Last Generation the other two Fairy/Steel types were top-tier threats: Mega-Mawile as a Special Tank and insane Wallbreaker had to be banned to Ubers in X&Y as it simply had very few Checks, got past those with SD and could even kill faster Mons with Sucker Punch. Klefki on the other hand is an incredible support Mon with access to priority Spikes, Screens, TWave, Toxic, Magnet Rise while having good coverage with Foul Play, Flash Canon and Play Rough.
Magearna will probably be in-between those as it's Movepool allows multiple viable Sets: Utility with TWave, Pain Split, Screens and even Volt Switch; a Typing and Stats for a Tank; the option to be a Setup Sweeper with Calm Mind and Shift Gear or even a Bulky Wallbreaker with Choice Specs. Flash Cannon, Dazzling Gleam, Aura Sphere, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, TBolt, Volt Switch, Energy Ball and Fleur Cannon make for great coverage. I believe this Mon will have it's place on almost every playstyle.

Thoughts? I can see a lot of potential sets with this mon, and I love her

Sylveon.

It's far from weak in doubles. It hits both opponents you know? It's higher Damage Per Turn no matter how you spin it.

Pair it with A-Golem/Sivally and then when they STAB explode, killing themselves and the opponent, you should receive up to 3 special attack boosts from your ability and then a Gleam will wreck face.
Actually dazzling gleam stands at a 60 base power move after spread reduction, so yeah 2 fleur cannons(second one even at -2) easily out-damages 2 dazzling gleam.
Plus explosion shenanigans are pretty easy to spot as most pokemons run protect in doubles .

Actually dazzling gleam stands at a 60 base power move after spread reduction, so yeah 2 fleur cannons(second one even at -2) easily out-damages 2 dazzling gleam.
Plus explosion shenanigans are pretty easy to spot as most pokemons run protect in doubles .
Yes and they can also protect against your Fleur Cannon causing you to lose out on an entire turn, or swap to someone who resists it ruining your special stats, vs at least hitting the one who didn't protect.

And it is Still a guaranteed boost since your partner dies. It's not hard to predict protect and just wait a turn before exploding. Remember that both opponents have a brain. All in all this is extremely "what if"y. You can't calculate people's mind games like you can calculate a Pokemon's damage

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Yes and they can also protect against your Fleur Cannon causing you to lose out on an entire turn, or swap to someone who resists it ruining your special stats, vs at least hitting the one who didn't protect.

And it is Still a guaranteed boost since your partner dies. It's not hard to predict protect and just wait a turn before exploding. Remember that both opponents have a brain. All in all this is extremely "what if"y. You can't calculate people's mind games like you can calculate a Pokemon's damage
Well, there is no point arguing over the moveset as the whole topic is neither here or there, anyways let's just hope magaerna does as well in the meta as it promises to be.

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Magearna @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soul Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fleur Cannon
- Moonblast
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
Despite it's crap speed, I definitely think it could pull off a scarfed set to clean slower teams as it can outspeed things as fast as Tornadus. Would also have some surprise potential vs pokemon like Garchomp that could typically take it out. 4MSS really sucks since it usually wants to run 3 STAB moves, not leaving enough room to get good coverage, but Volt Switch seems like a good option as it allows you to pivot into something that can deal with it's switch ins. Depending on the team, it could also utilize Aura Sphere/Focus Blast or HP Fire to help out with pokemon like Scizor and Heatran. Trick Room also looks nice especially since it can pivot out or use Explosion to gain momentum after setting TR. Could also just be a sweeper on the team due to it's ability. Alternatively, just a bulkier set with Fleur Cannon, Volt Switch, Flash Cannon and a coverage move/TWave looks really nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)