March Madness (American College Basketball) Group/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Hey everyone! It's March and I'm sure plenty of you know what that means (no, not hyped for Spring Training Baseball) -- March Madness. I've made a Smogon group for everyone who makes brackets and wishes to compete with other members of the community here. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask here. The bracket making process is fairly straightforward -- you can take it seriously or have some fun with it, totally up to whoever is filling it out.

Additionally, feel free to use this thread to discuss your picks or the games and anything else of relevance that pertains to the tournament. Personally, I think this might be a big year for chalk (non-upset) picks -- I see all the one and two seeds having clear paths to at least the sweet sixteen (unless a hot Michigan team manages to pull past Louisville or something surprising). I also foresee a lot of 11 over 6 upsets in the first round and perhaps some of them can make a run into the sweet 16, but only time shall tell, I suppose. Good luck to everyone!

I got ballsy in a lot of my work pool picks this year, calling for UNC Wilmington, Middle Tennessee, and Florida Gulf Coast to pull off upsets and for SMU to get to the Elite Eight. There are only about 15 people in the pool, so maybe it wasn't the smartest of ideas, but I guess we'll see! UNCW did not disappoint in their effort vs. Virginia earlier today and Middle Tennessee is looking to upset for a second year in a row.

Went upset heavy myself with UNCW, East Tennessee State, URI, and MTSU (an "upset" by seeding - MTSU was actually favored) but ofc the only true "major" upset will prolly be Iona over Oregon or some shit.

All I really care about is Arkansas winning tomorrow before getting plastered by UNC this weekend.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Arkansas did not deserve to win that game holy crap. Letting the other team get 20+ offensive rebounds is totally unacceptable.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I mean, you could argue that a team that squanders getting all those second chance possessions doesn't deserve to win either...
Also true. Seton Hall didn't deserve to win either, but they did dominate most other phases so they were clearly the 'better' team, shots just weren't falling. Oh well, either of them would get crushed by UNC anyway

very excited for the potential UVA/WISC sweet sixteen matchup with an over/under of 70 total points

edit: uh

Last edited:
This is my third year at UVA, 3/3 on catastrophic march meltdowns
I guess this team did pretty good considering their cocaine-induced lack of frontcourt depth

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
This is my third year at UVA, 3/3 on catastrophic march meltdowns
I guess this team did pretty good considering their cocaine-induced lack of frontcourt depth
Yeah it seems like their tournament journey always ends in the most spectacularly awful way possible. They can't just lose a close game lol.

What are everyone's thoughts on Purdue/Kansas? It has all the makings of a classic, as it features the 2 frontrunners for the NPOY (Purdue big Caleb Swanigan and Kansas guard Frank Mason).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)