SM OU Mega TTar Bulky Offense (Peak 1505)

sanguine

friendly fire
is a Tiering Contributor
GOD. (Tyranitar-Mega) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

With the new speed mechanics boosting Tyranitar-Mega's speed automatically to 71, which is a decently usable speed tier, I felt like building around it. Edge and Crunch are for great STAB coverage, Fire Punch is for Mega Mawile/Ferro/Scizor-Mega who generally threaten the sweep possibility while still hitting every grass type in OU with the prominent exception of Mega Venusaur for super effective damage

Toxapex @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze

General all purpose pivot, takes on Zapdos who generally destroys BO/Balance teams such as this, sets up toxic spikes to weaken checks to Bulu, switches into steels for Bulu and Tyranitar

Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Megahorn

Stallbreaker, it has neat synergy with Mega Tyranitar with Grassy Terrain which heals it and weakens ground attacks from prominent threats such as Zygarde, and Garchomp.

LOVE. (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere

Tapu Lele check and Greninja check, also serves as pivot with Volt Switch, as the ground types in the tier do not want to come in on Magearna's coverage in Fleur Cannon and Aura Sphere. It also appreciates Grassy Terrain because of the weakened ground attacks.

PRIDE. (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword

Speed control, revenges Greninja,takes on Steel Types such as Skarm,Ferro who can phaze or stall unboosted TTar, while also taking on the fire types that threaten Tapu Bulu. Icy Wind to weaken grass types.

LUST. (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Electric Immunity, Ground Immunity, good synergy with TTar, sets rocks, has voltturn core with mage. It's Landorus-Therian, do I have to say more?

THREAT LIST:

Rotom-W:

Wisps Lando/Bulu/Ttar, Hydroes Lando/Ttar, has a field day with Pex and Keldeo, and Volt Switches on Mage

Mega Venusaur:
Generally does not care about the Fire and Ice type attacks thrown its way, as it can recover with Giga Drain and eventually stall out Mage, and it destroys my Bulu with Sludge Bomb,

Mew:
See rotom section except replace hydroes and volt switches to knock offs and omit TTar from that section

Mega Mawile/Magearna:
Steel/ Fairy types with stupid coverage that destroy me after a boost, with this team doing little in return.

Tapu Koko/Mega Manectric:
They Hit Lando with HP Ice, Volt Switch Or Thunderbolt everyone else, and in the case of Manectric, Overheats all over Bulu

s/o to quziel and Team Pokepals for all the outstanding help!

Last edited:

Muscle K

Banned deucer.
Hi there MasterAmpharos you've created an interesting team here, and I'd like to help you improve it, but first i'd like to mention that Toxapex is not a Zapdos check.

EDIT:

Team changes will come

First things first, 0 SpA Zapdos Discharge vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 116-140 (38.1 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
defs not a great counter considering how offensive zapdos harrasses your team so much more than defensive

A hasty nature on keldeo is pointless with no physical move. That said, you should keep the hasty nature and change icy wind for stone edge to better take on volcarona.

Also, I'd like to recommend a spread of 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD with a calm nature on magearna. I find that AV mag does not pose a huge offensive threat so the investment into SpA is pointless. You say yourself that you use it primarily for volt switch pivoting. Full SpD investment allows av magearna to take on big threats like specs ash gren with much more comfort than it would otherwise.

As you've noted yourself, Mega Venusaur is a pretty big issue for your team, since your team lacks any one strong answer to it and it can threaten most of your team members with Giga Drain or Sludge Bomb, can absorb Toxic Spikes from Toxapex while Toxapex can only hope for Scald burns in return, can heal up residual and hazard damage with Synthesis, etc. I also noticed two really big threats missing from your own threat list, Mega Pinsir and Mega Medicham. Both can sweep pretty much unhindered after Landorus is weakened or removed; both threaten out Toxapex (EQ or Zen Headbutt), Bulu (Aerilate-boosted attacks or Ice Punch), Magearna (EQ and Hi Jump Kick), and unboosted Tyranitar. Keldeo can revenge kill Medicham after it collects a kill, but Pinsir can OHKO with boosted Quick Attack (or unboosted after some chip damage). Landorus switches in to those mons decently, but cannot do so repeatedly over the course of a battle and gets worn down easily, especially by Medicham's Ice Punch and boosted Returns from Pinsir.

Seeing as how Mega Venusaur (as well as Pinsir and Medicham) are such huge threats, you might consider changing Landorus from
Rocky Helmet ---> Flyinium Z and U-turn ---> Fly in order to OHKO Mega Venusaur with Supersonic Skystrike, or at least threaten it out and
prevent it from stalling out every member of your team. Even without Rocky Helmet, Landorus will still be able to perform in its role as a switch-in to physically offensive threats thanks to Intimidate, and can deal with Venusaur as well. This also gives you a strong move to OHKO Mega Pinsir and Mega Medicham, both of which can present problems to your team as well if Landorus is weakened or removed. Earthquake and HP Ice only chip at Medicham and Pinsir respectively, whereas having the Z-Move means you can remove both of them from play with just one move, meaning that you don't need to worry about keeping Landorus healthy to check them throughout the course of the match. While you do lose the utility and ease of prediction that U-turn can give a team, running Z-Fly allows you to better check some of your team's biggest threats; I'd say the trade-off is worth it.

If you make the aforementioned changes, you'll need another moveset for Bulu, since it's currently occupying the Z-Move slot. I'd recommend changing Megahorn ---> Substitute and Fightinium Z ---> Leftovers, which will help shore up the weakness you pointed out to Rotom-W and Mew carrying Will-O-Wisp. Leftovers and Grassy Terrain alongside Horn Leech will keep you significantly healthy, enough to make several Subs as necessary. As you said, Will-O-Wisp is a tough move to switch in to for your team since you have predominantly physical attackers, and neither Magearna nor Keldeo appreciate getting burned, since Magearna must be healthy to switch in to things like Specs Ash-Greninja's Hydro Pumps, and Keldeo cannot do anything to Rotom or Mew after absorbing the burn. Sub SD Bulu can switch in on Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, or on Mew's Defog, Stealth Rock, Softboiled, etc. if necessary. Being able to Sub before getting burned puts you in a stronger position against those mons, especially Rotom-W, since it gets forced out and gives you a turn to Swords Dance and threaten your opponent's switch-in with a +2 Horn Leech or coverage move before they break your Sub. Mew without Taunt is also put in a similar position. While Substitute is a strong option to help patch up that weakness, you still run the risk of getting burned on the switch, so it's important to use Bulu carefully. While your Bulu will have a tougher matchup against Tangrowth since you're forgoing Megahorn, your Landorus has Z-Fly to again, OHKO or threaten it out.

Really interesting looking team, hope you find some of these comments useful. Even with the changes your team still works towards its original goal, which is Tyranitar supported by teammates who can deal with its checks. Let me know how it goes.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hey MasterAmpharos really cool team here. Mega Tyranitar is a very interesting mon this generation, so I'm glad to see people are experimenting with it. I'm a little late to the rating party on this one, but I just felt I could provide a little help furthering what others have said. I liked Toomin's comments about the team being weak to M-Pinsir and M-Medicham on top of the threat list you originally provided, but the solutions proposed aren't solid enough for me to be comfortable with the squad. So I'm going to propose some alternate changes to help with M-Pinsir, M-Medicham, as well as the threats you touched on already such as, M-Venusaur and Rotom-W, and a few other threatening issues I see such as Sticky Webs while keeping the central goal of a M-Tyranitar sweep intact.

Also with regards to Toomin's suggestions for fixing issues vs M-Pinsir and M-Medicham the issue that I had was that while Z-Fly Landorus-T does 1hko both of them, it's not really going to get a chance to launch that attack. Offensive Landorus-T is 2hko'd and out sped by M-Pinsir (and not many people will attack a full health Landorus-T with their M-pinsir, since they should fear offensive sets) meaning you'll never really get the chance to Z-Fly the M-Pinsir. Also Jolly M-Medicham out speeds and 1hko's offensive Landorus-T with Ice Punch from -1 100% of the time, so unless someone hard switches M-Medicham into your Landorus-T you'll never get the Z-Fly off. So while I like the idea for luring M-Venusaur, I just don't feel the change checks M-Pinsir and M-Medicham as stated.

Major Changes:

>
I feel Toxapex isn't really the best option for this team as most of the mons it checks such as Greninja and Volcarona are already checked by other members making its place on the team fairly repetitive and unneeded as something that checks other threats would be appreciated more (yes, you lose Toxic Spikes, but this change out weighs that in my opinion). This is why I'm suggesting Mew>Toxapex, as Mew offers the team a way to check threats such as M-Medicham, M-Mawile, and it can even win the 1v1 versus M-Venusaur. The Move Set I'm suggesting is: Will-O-Wisp / Psychic / Soft Boiled / Stealth Rock with the EV Spread: 240 Hp / 72 Def / 140 SpDef / 56 Spe Bold Nature with the item Leftovers. The EV Spread allows you to switch in versus physical threats like M-Medicham (avoids 2hko) and special threats like Keldeo (avoids 2hko). Will-O-Wisp allows you to burn mons like Tapu Bulu and M-Mawile who could be an issue, Soft Boiled allows you solid recovery, Stealth Rocks takes some pressure off Landorus-T (which will be more important as we get into the rate), and Psychic is so you're not Taunt bait and mons like Substitute Zygarde don't take advantage of you. Overall I feel this change puts the team on the right track towards being more versatile and covering a larger portion of metagame threats.

>
This change may seem a little odd right now, but as we get through more and more of the rate this will start to make a bit more sense I promise. Initially Tapu Koko provides the team with a way to stop Sticky Webs from being set on the field through the use of Taunt which is a major plus for your team. Tapu Koko also provides a nice speed boost as outside of Keldeo the team is pretty slow. Finally Tapu Koko provides the team with a check to annoying mons such as M-Pinsir and Rotom-W. The Move Set I'm suggesting is Thunderbolt / Taunt / Hidden Power Ice / U-Turn with the EV Spread: 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe Timid Nature with the item Magnet. Thunderbolt is a strong stab, HP Ice is solid coverage to hit ground types like Landorus-T and Zygarde who are spammed in the tier and may try to switch into Tapu Koko as they're immune to Thunderbolt, Taunt helps prevent webs and allows Tapu Koko to pitch in a little vs stall (not as much as Tapu Bulu, but that will be amended), and U-turn helps with momentum and allows you to avoid being trapped by Dugtrio. Overall I feel this change really helps the team as it provides you with more of a fast offensive presence, a counter measure to Webs, and a M-Pinsir check.

Minor Changes:

I like the idea of an AV Magearna on this team, but as it's one of the teams main switch ins to things like opposing Tapu Koko, Greninja, and Gengar I'd like to make some slight adjustments. Try the EV Spread: 200 Hp / 56 SpA / 252 SpDef Calm Nature. This set allows you to come in on Specs Gengar twice, as well as, just serve as a better blanket check vs special attackers. I'd also consider changing Aura Sphere -> HP Fire as it allows you to better check threats like M-Scizor and Ferrothorn since Aura Sphere really only helps more Vs Heatran which is pretty easily pressured by mons on your team like M-Tyranitar, Keldeo, and Landorus-T.

I would consider Double Water -> HP Electric. Gyarados poses a bit of an issue to the team if it manages to set up and is an Earthquake variant since it cleans up at +1, so by simply running just Surf + HP Electric you still keep up your ability to use a powerful water stab, but you also have an option to better check Gyarados. It's a small change, but I see it being very fruitful.

Earlier we replaced the Tapu Bulu with Tapu Koko which helped several match ups, but left the team a tad weaker to stall - so I'd like to fix that. With Landorus-T no longer pressured to get up Stealth Rock it can focus more on breaking teams by running an SD variant. The Move Set I'm suggesting is Swords Dance / Earthquake / Fly / Gravity with the EV Spread: 252 Att / 4 Def / 252 Spe Adamant Nature and the item Flyinium-Z. This set is a bit odd, but I feel it will be very beneficial to the team. Swords Dance allows Landorus-T to boost its attack stat so it can rip apart fatter teams, Earthquake is a strong stab, Fly is a nice option for this set as it allows Landorus-T to lure in and KO annoying mons like Tangrowth and M-Venusaur, and Gravity allows Landorus-T to avoid being walled by mons like Skarmory and Celesteela (quick note that gravity stops Landorus-T from using Fly, but Z Fly will still work). Like I said it's a bit odd, but I feel it will work out nicely with the rest of your squad.

I love the idea of testing the waters with M-Tyranitar, and I only have one small suggestion on this mon. With Magearna running HP Fire, Keldeo soft Checking M-Scizor, and Landorus-T pressuring M-Scizor and Ferrothron I feel steels are fairly well covered/easier to eliminate and wear down throughout a match, so possibly trying Fire Punch -> Ice Punch could be nice here since mons like Zygarde and opposing Lando-T could be annoying otherwise. (The move set for M-Tyranitar is what I'm least sure of, so you may need to test out a few options)

Review of Changes:

• ->
  • ->
  • : Aura Sphere -> HP Fire, and a bulkier spread
  • : Hydro Pump -> HP Electric
  • : Offensive Rocks -> Breaker
  • : Fire Punch -> Ice Punch

I'm linking an importable, just click on this line

Anyway that's all I had rating wise. I really enjoyed rating this team, M-Tyranitar is still so new to the meta so it's a bit of a mystery on its place and how good it will be in the meta. I feel my rate does a good job improving your match up vs several threats, along with keeping the theme of a M-Tyranitar sweep strongly intact. While I'm sure there are a few things that could be improved I think this is a really solid start to getting the team to an elite level. If you have any more questions or concerns with the rate let me know in the thread or PM. Have a great day, and have fun with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)