Battle Spot memes in ultra high definition (a 4K post)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
memes rmt done.png

memes in ultra high definition​

For a long time this gen I had the worst teambuilder's block and wasn't really doing so well in tours, so for the last couple months of SM I wanted to build something silly and just ladder a lot. I figured using an underused / memey strategy would be fun, preferably something a bit brainless too. I tried some stuff like Lele+Alakazam, Torkoal sun, even a mono-Flying team, but after a while I started to really like Baton Pass strats and played around with different variations of them. I had already used Double Team Blaziken a lot earlier in the gen, then NOVED got me into Eeveepass stuff, but it wasn't until I ran into some genius on the ladder running Unburden Electric Seed Drifblim that I realised that's what I wanted to focus on.

The idea is really simple; lead Koko for the terrain, get Drifblim in while the terrain is up, boost, then either sweep with Drifblim or pass to something that can. I did some research into the strat to see if anyone had actually used it seriously, and there were a couple Japanese teams floating around the internet that had killed it on the ladder so I copied and piloted those for a while. However these teams were all built with Drifblim as a "mode" and didn't rely on it too much, but I was only having fun with them when I was bringing Drifblim so I decided to make my own version of it that relied on Drifblim, with options for answering common threats to it.

I originally built the team for a Friendly we were hosting on the Battle Spot Discord, but I ended up missing it and was pretty annoyed, so I figured I'd give it a try on the ladder since I was near the bottom at the time anyway due to some recent tilt. It quickly brought me back up so I used it until the end of the season.

Even though it was built for some dumb fun on the ladder, I have played it in a few tournaments, most notably I used it to beat Doobzi in the semi finals of the cartridge cycle of BSSC. I peaked above the 1700s on the ladder with it too, which isn't super high by any means but it was enough to qualify for said tour.

teambuilding process

Pretty obvious start. Unburden Drifblim only works if you can consume its item, and the absolute easiest way is with a terrain seed. You can really use any of the Tapus for the terrain, however I chose Koko for its speed. Pretty much all the Koko I saw on similar teams were Light Clay sets, however I didn't like having to sack the Koko because the terrain can be stalled out if your opponent knows what you're doing, so I chose to run Eject Button instead.

Espeon is the poster child for Baton Pass teams thanks to Magic Bounce and Stored Power. You can't really have a Baton Pass team without it. You pretty much just bring these three to every game and hope for the best. However, Espeon has some specific counters that beat it no matter how many boosts you get, so the rest of the team was chosen to have answers for those.

Perish Song is probably the most common way of answering memey strats like these in BSS, with Mega Gengar and Primarina being the most common. Baton Passing to Soundproof Kommo-o in those situations is so funny.

Clear Smog is another annoying way of dealing with Drifblim, albeit a bit on the uncommon side. I still wanted to add a Steel-type here and originally went for Aegislash, however I changed it to Klinklang because Gear Grind allows you to get around Focus Sashes and Mimikyu.

For the last sweeper option I wanted something with Taunt as kind of a catch-all if I can't really tell what my opp will bring to deal with my stuff. Tornadus is cool because of Prankster, as well as access to a decent boosting move and mono-attacking coverage with no immunities.

the team

drifblim plush.png

Drifblim @ Electric Seed | Unburden
Timid | 164 Def / 212 SpD / 132 Spe
Shadow Ball | Minimize | Substitute | Baton Pass

Battle Spot doesn't have evasion clause, so you can be a huge tool and spam Minimize all day and collect wins. Stockpile would be cool but you need an attacking move in case of Taunt. Speaking of which, Shadow Ball is chosen for hurting things like Mega Metagross, and Aegislash, where Baton Passing and taking damage from them is kinda risky. Acrobatics seems like an obvious pick but I've honestly gotten more use out of Shadow Ball. I've thought about trying Charge Beam though, however it only benefits Espeon who just uses Calm Mind anyway. If I had another special attacker it could be cool.

The EVs do a bunch of things. Honestly, I stole them from one of the teams I was piloting and they seemed to work so I kept them. Google translate told me that Lando-T's Rock Tomb won't break the Sub with the seed + reflect boost. Mimikyu shouldn't KO with Z Shadow Claw, Blaziken also misses the KO, and Mega Gengar usually doesn't KO. All of those are annoying for the strat so the calc seem worthwhile. The speed is for Scarf Nihilego and anything slower.

koko plush.png

Tapu Koko @ Eject Button | Electric Surge
Timid | 92 HP / 36 Def / 4 SpA / 124 SpD / 252 Spe
Discharge | Reflect | Light Screen | Taunt

This Koko is the dedicated lead. Dual screens helps Drifblim set up, and Taunt helps proc the Eject Button to get Drifblim in safely, as well as stopping dumb moves like Roar / Perish Song for a couple turns. I opted for Discharge so this thing at least has an attack, and the para chance is cute. I've gone through Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, and Nature's Madness, and Discharge has been the best.

Again, I stole the EVs and used this Koko on the team when it was running Light Clay. The EVs are less relevant since they're designed to survive and get a relevant screen up, but I haven't bothered to change them because living the same hits and getting forced out by the eject button has meant I can use the Koko for fodder or reset terrain against Lele/Bulu leads etc... But basically it survives hits from Pheromosa, Mega Metagross, Mimikyu, Lele etc

espeon plush.png

Espeon @ Psychium Z | Magic Bounce
Timid | 244 HP / 204 Def / 12 SpA / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Mind | Stored Power | Dazzling Gleam | Morning Sun

Sweeper #1. Stored Power hits at 140BP after coming in with +6 evasion, so sometimes you don't even need to go for Calm Minds if you just need something gone. Dazzling Gleam is necessary for Dark-types, Substitute would be really handy in that slot but you need the coverage bad... I've been running Psychium Z on this set for the rare occurrence when Toxapex is able to get a Haze off on the switch in to Espeon, as unboosted Shattered Psyche OHKOes it. However it's also come in handy for dealing with stuff like Hippowdon and other stuff that can be annoying to set up in front of. It does become a useless item after a couple boosts though, as Stored Power outdamages it almost all the time. Something like a Kee Berry / Mago Berry / Kasib Berry would also be good options.

Shoutouts to chemcoop for the EV spread. It outspeeds adamant Mimikyu which is huge for avoiding Z Shadow Claw / Play Rough. The HP is odd for Stealth Rock, SpA and SpD even for Calm Mind, with the rest in Def. It's a pretty obvious spread but I totally skipped on it at first.

kommo clay.png

Kommo-o @ Figy Berry | Soundproof
Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Dragon Dance | Earthquake | Rock Slide | Substitute

Ok yeah this looks a bit dumb, with no STABs and all, I promise it works though. I ended up with Ground/Rock coverage because it just covers as much as possible. It used to be Poison Jab with Poisonium Z (for Primarina / Fini) + STABs (Dragon Claw + Sky Uppercut), but Aegislash was almost unkillable, and if the Sub it got passed from Drifblim got broken, anything with a Z move killed it. I changed to Sub + Figy for longevity, and had trouble deciding two-move coverage for a while before figuring I'd stick with ground/rock. It doesn't have special EVs lol.

klinklang lego.png

Klinkland @ Leftovers | Clear Body
Adamant | 204 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 36 SpD / 12 Spe
Shift Gear | Gear Grind | Wild Charge | Substitute

Klinklang was an early-gen meme for being a Mimikyu check thanks to Gear Grind, so I thought it would fit this team pretty well. The set is super self-explanatory since Klinklang doesn't get any good moves. Wild Charge is really good for (Mega) Gyarados / Charizard Y though.

It outspeeds max speed Pheromosa after one boost, so you can bop it before it tries Quiver Dancing. HP is for Substitute / Leftovers efficiency with some extra SpD.

tornadus plush.png

Tornadus @ Aguav Berry | Prankster
Adamant | 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 SpD
Bulk Up / Acrobatics / Substitute / Taunt

Anything can be good when it has +6 evasion, but Tornadus is cool because it has all the tools it needs to not lose those boosts and fit them into 4 moveslots. Prankster Taunt means this thing can keep setting up in front of Perish Song Mega Gengar / Primarina, Haze Toxapex / Milotic, and Roar/Whirlwind anything. Acrobatics hits everything so you don't need two-move coverage. Bulk Up makes Subs harder to break.

I went for a bulky spread over a fast one, HP hits the highest Leftovers numbers with the spare EVs in SpD to patch up the bulk.

QR code
https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/sm/BT-4ABA-9353

log into the PGL first, then click the QR link. then open up your game and scan the code at the team selection screen.

HD memes.png

threatlist
Since this team is a bit silly, it has some really hard matchups...

Opposing Koko are really annoying to face. If they lead and I lose the speed tie, Drifblim has to avoid a Thunderbolt at +2 evasion, otherwise it gets OHKOed. I've thought about swapping Klinklang for Excadrill and would probably do that if I wanted to make the team more serious.

Same boat as Koko, but a little more manageable. For me to lose to it I have to lose the speed tie with Koko, get hit through +2 evasion and with a high roll Shadow Ball. Otherwise I can usually get to +4 evasion and luck my way through.

This can also be really awkward, thanks to how well it deals with both Koko and Drifblim, as well as Curse being a thing.

Removing Electric Terrain screws with the strategy pretty hard, and regaining the terrain while keeping everything healthy enough to set up can be tricky.

Just annoying because I need to Taunt it with Koko, then I can only stay in with Drifblim for a turn or two before it's able to Whirlwind, then when I get Espeon in I can't Moonlight freely because of the sandstorm, meaning a teammate can usually overpower Espeon.

Ghosts with Z moves are just really annoying. Setting up on them with Drifblim is hard, and even if I do Espeon has a hard time winning if I need to bring it. I seem to always lose to crit Shadow Sneaks lol.

Kind of tricky because of how dumb Shell Smash is. I've had a few overpower Koko+Drifblim but I think I mostly just play bad vs them

Another scary booster. Koko needs to Taunt it, because Reflect does nothing to deter it. Then I need to rely on evasion.

importable
Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Level: 50
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 36 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Wild Charge
- Substitute

Kommo-o @ Figy Berry
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

Tapu Koko @ Eject Button
Ability: Electric Surge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 92 HP / 36 Def / 4 SpA / 124 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Taunt
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Drifblim @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 164 Def / 212 SpD / 132 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Minimize
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Espeon @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 244 HP / 204 Def / 12 SpA / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam

Tornadus @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Taunt

shoutouts

Since this is my 4,000th post I better do some tagging. I'd love to write something about everyone but I spent too much time writing this dumb RMT. Maybe I'll edit some stuff after I sleep!

LegoFigure11 ethan06 dogknees NOVED chemcoop DragonWhale Nat Hulavuta Psynergy Quote Solerme Kaori IronBullet antemortem The Dutch Plumberjack Theorymon kamikaze

all of you have been important to me in some way or another during my time here so thanks for making it all worth it. Even if I did have time to do individual shoutouts, I'm not good at them anyway lol.

As i already told you this team is hot bro, i love how you were using stuff like Tornadus or Klingklang as baton pass recipients
Now, i know this is a rmt to celebrate your 4k, but if you want to use it again you could maybe try to add Light Clay Lele over something, and switch Drif's item to Psychic Seed that would raise its SpDef, helping vs Koko and such.

In fact one of the issues of this kind of teams is that having just a single lead leaves you open to things, and when facing those kind of mons forces you to roll the dice
@ Light Clay
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 180 Def / 28 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Taunt
- Light Screen
- Reflect

This lives Gengar's STABs (just 6% to ohko if it's max Spa), Adamant MBlazi's Flare Blitz, Greninja's Gunk Shot (it dies 90% of time to the LO variant tho), Koko's Z, Mimikyu's ZMimi, Aegi's Z Shadow Ball after the screen, and so on..
It can Taunt Hippo and Cloyster, in fact the speed is to be faster than Adamant Cloyster.

It could definitely solve some of your problems, and even stop priorities like Shadow Sneak that could be a problem for Drifblim.

Also of course this is a pre USUM team, but now you could even give a try to Kommo's Z and switch Espeon's item to Kee Berry (would help to mitigate the fact that Drif's doesn't pass +1 def anymore)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)