Metagross @ Occa Berry / Lum Berry / Shuca Berry
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
nature: Adamant / Brave
ability: Clear Body
-Iron Head / Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch / Explosion
-Earthquake
-Protect
  • Metagross's Steel typing and huge Defense makes it very difficult to take out without powerful super effective attacks, and its huge Attack stat allows it to dish out a ton of damage in return.
  • Iron Head is a reliable STAB attack with a chance to flinch, while Meteor Mash is more powerful but less accurate. Bullet Punch can pick off weakened Pokemon and Sash users, but Explosion can provide a powerful last-ditch attack to take out bulky Pokemon that resist Metagross's other attacks, like Zapdos or Suicune, even after the nerf. Earthquake hits both opponents and damages opposing Metagross.
  • Since Metagross can be taken down by strong Fire-type attacks such as Heatran's Heat Wave, an Occa Berry can prove quite useful, allowing Metagross to take those attacks and retaliate. However, a Lum Berry allows Metagross to take Smeargle's Dark Void and in conjunction with Bullet Punch stops Smeargle in its tracks. A Shuca Berry allows Metagross to easily take Earthquakes from pokemon such as Garchomp or Rhyperior. Normal Gem is another option to make Explosion extremely powerful.
  • Ground- and Fire-types such as Rhyperior, Excadrill, or Chandelure can threaten Metagross with their STAB attacks, so Latios or Latias can make a great partner, taking out the Pokemon that threaten Metagross while taking little damage in return.
  • A Choice Scarf set with Ice Punch over Protect is quite feasible, giving Metagross unexpected speed and allowing it to take out Pokemon such as Zapdos or Thundurus that normally stop Metagoss before they can move.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Metagross appreciates Shuca Berry just as much as Occa Berry, if not more. So many garchomp and stuff @_@
Scarf Metagross is pretty gimmicky, but it does work (as long as it has Ice Punch and good support mons). Ice Punch is to hit everything that Iron Head resists, including Zapdos and Thundurus.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Yeah Scarf is a good set, you wrecked me with it a couple days ago. While Shuca isn't as immediately useful as Occa or Lum because of Metagross's excellent Defense, it means Metagross takes a pittance from Rhyperior/Garchomp Earthquakes, and can take two in one turn, so it's definitely useful.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Also if opting for explosion, you should note that normal gem makes it extremely powerful.Well any explosion user for that matter.

Metagross can learn Hammer Arm, which gets similar coverage to Earthquake, but lets it serve as a Trick Room counter or sweeper.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Metagross is slow enough that it doesn't need Hammer Arm to function in Trick Room, and Earthquake's spread damage is more useful than Hammer Arm on the whole. It's not useless, but unless you really need it, there's no reason to use it.

Steel Gem 9.9

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really like the use of Meteor Mash>Iron Head, since the extra power combined with the chance for an attack boost is always nice. however, I can see the argument for iron head with flinch chance and higher accuracy. I wouldn't necessarily change the order but maybe a little bit more about the differences? It just seems like Meteor Mash is being brushed off when it is a very useful move for Metagross.

everything else looks good!

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just a quick thought about the item, considering I've been using one in my doubles team recently...

Occa is invaluable, I see alot more fire than earthquakes, and I know it's saved my chops more than a few times. I can't see how a steel gem would be better than atually surviving and hitting back hard. Probably more helpful in doubles though.

Bump for justice!!!

Doubles/Triples

Metagross @ Occa Berry/Light Clay
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Careful/Sassy
IVs: 0 Speed (Sassy only)
EVs: 216 HP/40 Def/252 SpDef
Moveset:
-Gravity/Reflect/Light Screen
-Reflect/Light Screen/Meteor Mash
-Meteor Mash/Earthquake
-Earthquake/Protect/DynamicPunch (if your brave and running Gravity)

A max bulk spread for team support that can still do stuff offensively. Meteor Mash still OHKO's Terrakion. Haven't tested anything else it can KO.

I'll update more later.

*notes to be editted*

Survives Timid Kingdra Hydro Pump in the Rain.

Survives Jolly Infernape's Flare Blitz, and Modest/Quiet Chandelure's Heat Wave if holding Occa Berry.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
This definitely looks like it could be useful, as it survives a ton of otherwise fatal attacks. However, I don't really see a reason to use it. Sure, it sets up field effects, but nothing really useful, like Trick Room or Tailwind. A dedicated support pokemon (Whimsicott, for example) would also be able to set up these effects, while much of what makes Metagross good (its incredible Attack) is removed with these EVs. True, it helps against Pokemon such as Latios or Snorlax, but the drop in Attack is really crucial. Earthquake can't KO Infernape or Chandelure in return, for example.

This definitely looks like it could be useful, as it survives a ton of otherwise fatal attacks. However, I don't really see a reason to use it. Sure, it sets up field effects, but nothing really useful, like Trick Room or Tailwind. A dedicated support pokemon (Whimsicott, for example) would also be able to set up these effects, while much of what makes Metagross good (its incredible Attack) is removed with these EVs. True, it helps against Pokemon such as Latios or Snorlax, but the drop in Attack is really crucial. Earthquake can't KO Infernape or Chandelure in return, for example.
More info is needed, maybe.

I actually use the set with Gravity/MM/E-quake/Protect to support Whimsicott on my current Triples team, giving Whimsicott a (roughly) 90% accurate priority sleep move in GrassWhistle. Once threats are sleeping, I set up Tail Wind with Whimsicott.

Basically, support 'mon, supporting a support 'mon, and having 4 other slots for sweepers.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
I can see that working. I still have reservations about the efficacy of two support mons on the field at once, but with something like Whimsicott that can really make use of Gravity, it's definitely usable.

dual screens can actually be quite useful in gbu. you generally only have 3 or 4 available slots at once, so the mix of support and power can be quite useful. I'd run max HP max Att though, otherwise bronzong will likely outclass it

Metagross@Psychic Gem
Brave
252 HP, 252 atk, 6 def
Meteor Mash
Bullet Punch
Hammer Arm
Zen Headbutt

Z Headbutt is seriously underrated. It's Meta's only real coverage option against Ludicolo, and other popular rain pokemon. Thunderpunch can be good, but the power is underwhelming and Wacan is somewhat popular. The gem is to guarantee the kill on a rogue defensive Amoonguss, who can be a nightmare for the TR team I use this Meta on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)