MnM Gyarados

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Overview

-Typing allows it to check top threats such as Golisopod
-Great set up move in Dragon Dance accompanied by a high attack stat and decent enough speed make Gyarados a fantastic sweeper
-Good bulk allows Gyarados to take priority attacks to hinder revenge killers
-Intimidate is useful for hindering physical attackers and giving Gyarados opportunities to set up
-Stealth Rock weakness hinders switch-in opportunities
-Weaknesses to Rock and Electric, both common types for coverage moves, decreases safe set up opportunities and requires scouting
-Low speed before a Dragon Dance leaves Gyarados susceptible to strong attackers

Dragon Dance Sweeper
Gyarados @ Pinsirite / Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Set Comments

Moves

-Dragon Dance is a fantastic set up move, boosting Gyarados' Attack to threatening levels as well as giving it the Speed necessary to sweep offense in the fast-paced Mix and Mega metagame
-Return receives the boost from Aerilate and is a powerful Flying-type STAB
-Waterfall is an alternate STAB that is able to 2HKO Blue Orb Zapdos after a Dragon Dance boost
-Earthquake is coverage for Steel-types and also hits Red Orb users hard

Set Details

-Maximum Attack and Speed EVs are used to make Gyarados as strong and fast as possible
-Pinsirite and Salamencite both change Gyarados' ability to Aerilate, which gives it a strong Flying-type STAB with no drawbacks. Pinsirite grants a higher boost to Attack that makes Gyarados stronger, while Salamencite grants a larger boost to Defense that allows it to set up more easily
-An Adamant nature is generally preferred for the power it provides however a Jolly nature can be used to outspeed Timid Choice Scarf Xerneas and Absolite Tapu Koko after a Dragon Dance boost
-Intimidate is the best pre-Mega ability for Gyarados due to its ability to drop the foe's Attack by 1 and grant Gyarados opportunities to set up

Usage Tips

Describe how to use the Pokemon in question.

Team Options

Describe some teammates that would be a good idea to pair with this Pokemon.

Strategy Comments

Other Options

-Stone Edge can 2HKO Zapdos after a Dragon Dance boost, however Zapdos OHKOs with its 4x super effective Electric-type STAB
-Taunt can allow Gyarados more opportunites to set up on passive foes and prevents Skarmory from phasing with Whirlwind
-A bulky set using Dragon Dance / Return / Rest / Sleep Talk with 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def and a Bold nature can be used to stay more healthy throughout the match and set up on anything that can't 3HKO. This set sacrifices immediate power, speed, and coverage for the ability to potentially grab more than one boost, which the main set can occasionally struggle to do
-Substitute can allow Gyarados to dodge status and continue to set up

Checks and Counters

[INSERT THREAT HERE]: Describe why the Pokemon/playstyle/etc is a threat.

Last edited:

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
oh i'll just drop this Kris i haven't used it enough recently + would have to make changes (e.g. goli isn't as good as it once was) and i just don't have the time rn bcz uni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)