[monotype/Flying] Aerodactyl

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
[OVERVIEW]

**flying**
-Great speed tier and access to a good movepool for a suicide lead
-It's moveset allows it to be one of the best suicide leads in the tier as it has a lot of support options
-Decent typing doesn't really affect how it plays as it Aerodactyl is a dedicated lead and never used on balance teams
-Can run coverage to beat some of its checks which prevent it from getting rocks up
-Has unviable abilities which do not aid aerodactyl as a suicide lead in any way and at best have limited use
-Almost always can get rocks up and prevent opposing hazards from going up because of its movepool and great speed tier
-Hits hard enough to do decent chip damage to a threat on the opposing team

[SET]
name: Aerodactyl [Suicide Lead]
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Tailwind
move 4: Stone Edge/Iron Head
item: Focus Sash
ability: Unnerve
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Hp

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
-Taunt allows aerodactyl to shut down opposing leads and stop stealth rocks from going up on your side of the field. Also prevents stray status moves from hitting aerodactyl or one of your other pokemon.

-Stealth Rock makes a lot of matchups in monotype easier as whole teams can share a weakness to stealth rock sometimes. A standard pick for almost any lead/suicide lead.

-Tailwind is for when aerodactyl is about to die, allowing your pokemon to outspeed whatever your opponent has out on the field and hopefully allow you to net a KO you might not have been able to before as you were slower than the other pokemon.

-In the last slot you can either run stone edge which is a strong stab which deals good damage coming off of aerodactyl's decent base 105 attack, or iron head which allows aerodactyl to beat one of its checks which stops it from getting rocks up via Magic bounce, mega Diancie.

Set Details
========
-Max attack+Max speed to outspeed and hit as hard as possible before aerodactyl faints
-The spread and moveset doesn't allow aerodactyl any extra longevity as it doesn't need it, aerodactyl's job is to get up rocks, prevent rocks from going up, and faint
-You can run max hp if your team is a bit slower and you want to be able to get up a tailwind instead of just taunting+using stealth rock, but that is a much worse option than max attack

Usage Tips
========
-Aerodactyl is a fairly simple mon to use, always lead with it unless you see a hard counter/check to it, for example a faster taunt user like Deoxys-S, or a magic bounce which you can not kill like mega diancie.

-Use stealth rocks unless your opponent's lead is likely to use a status move, then use taunt+stealth rocks

Team Options
========
-Pokemon that pair well with are Charizard-Ŷ as it abuses tailwind and aerodactyl's ability to stop rocks from going up while almost always getting them up.

Also landorus (incarnate or therian) can ohko diancie-mega and abuse tailwind with their high offensive stats.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
on flying (as aerodactyl reg isn't viable on rock) it can only really run one set effectively, and that's a suicide lead set which is the set I put as the main set for this analysis.

Checks and Counters
===================

flying:
Mega Scizor- Aerodactyl can barely touch this and it has a prioirty move that outspeeds aero and would ohko it if not for sash, so therefore Aero can only set up rocks before it dies.

Mega Diancie- completely shuts down aerodactyl as aerodactyl can't set up rocks because of magic bounce

Deoxys-Speed- outspeeds aerodactyl and taunts it before it can set up hazards or tailwind preventing it from doing its job.

Last edited:

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • mention Aerodactyl's typing
  • Mention Mega Aerodactyl as an option
  • Talk about Aerodactyl's speed and what it allows it to outspeed
  • Talk about the support moves it has
  • Talk about how Aerodactyl should be used on offensive flying teams
  • Talk about how Aerodactyl is weak to priority such as Azumarill's Aqua Jet, Weavilie's Ice Shard and Scizor's Bullet Punch
  • Talk about Mega Evolution stats
  • Be more specific and explain why abilities are bad
  • Explain scenarios where Aerodactyl fails to get Stealth Rock up
  • Just talk about how Aerodactyl doesn't have enough power to KO threats and provide an example
  • How does Aerodactyl's movepull allow it to get up Stealth Rock
  • Mention some of support moves it has that makes Aerodactyl a good support lead
[SET]
name: Aerodactyl [Suicide Lead]
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Tailwind
move 4: Stone Edge/Iron Head
item: Focus Sash
ability: Unnerve
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Moves
  • Provide examples of which Stealth Rockers that helps against
  • mention other uses for Taunt such as preventing setup sweeprs/ recovery provide examples as well
  • Explain why Stealth Rock is useful and what it helps with
  • A standard pick for almost any lead/suicide lead.
  • Tailwind needs to be rewritten because I can't properly QC
  • Make Stone Edge and Iron Head in separate sections and expalin their uses in depth
Set details
  • Explain the ability
  • Also explain the Jolly Nature and what it allows you to outspeed
  • I don't get why Max HP is mentioned as nothing postive is mnetioned about it here
  • Talk about why Focus Sash item is on the set
Usage Tips
  • Not enough usage tips more need to be added
Team Options
  • There needs to be more here so can't QC
Other Options
  • Mega Aerodactyl is mentioned at all and briefly talk about sets
  • Earthquake
  • Pursuit
Checks and Counters
  • There aren't enough for me to QC more need to be added
QC 1/3 Rejected
There is way too much work and I don't want to write an Aerodactyl analysis
Missing details in Checks/Counters, Other Options, and Team Options so I couldn't do full QC

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You're welcome to resubmit this for another QC member to review. Before doing that, please address the comments vid listed and expand the areas he says are lacking content. You also need to add a Mega-Aerodactyl set before this goes through QC again.

I'm going to reassign this. scpinion – feel free to work with dusk raimon if you'd like to, but just from reading the initial post I don't think this much effort on QC's part is necessary.

dusk raimon – please become more familiar with the Monotype metagame before writing an analysis about it. If you would like to continue with Monotype, try the room on Showdown! as I do not know of a specific tutor currently. I'm sure they'd love to help! I can help you with formatting analyses, however.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)