Monotype Monotype Normal | Trick Room Team

Introduction
Almost a year ago, I started playing Pokemon Showdown. I was into OU, and was proud of myself for doing okay in the ladder. Yet, when it came to tournaments in the OU Chat Room, I was eliminated first, every single time. So, I got off for a little while.

When I came back on, that's when I got into Monotype. I started experimenting with the different types, eventually coming to using a Dark Monotype Team off of Sample Teams. I had finally found my favorite type, and it used my favorite Pokemon, Umbreon. I was doing semi successful in the ladder, and I actually got a little bit further in the Tournament. Yet, I didn't like how I was using someone else's team that they created, and the fact that people who look at Sample Teams know exactly the moves, items, effort values, individual values, etc. So, I started creating my own teams.

At first, I wasn't very successful. I would look at teams, tweak them just a little, and then battle. And most likely lose. So, I got off of Pokemon Showdown again. Recently, I got back on and played some Monotype with my old teams. As I was battling, I noticed someone on the Monotype Chat complaining that Monotype Normal Teams are always the same. Chansey and Porygon2 for defense, then Staraptor, Diggersby and Mega Lopunny for offense, and then one Pokemon for whatever.

I was really struck by this. Normal types are known to have a wide move pool. Take Drampa for example. You have Blizzard, Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse, Energy Ball, Extrasensory, and so much more. So, how come Normal Monotype's have these five Pokemon every time? I wanted to change this. I wanted to create a team that was interesting, fresh, and of course, viable in competitive play. I think I nailed the interesting and fresh part, but I still need some help in viability.

Team Building Process
As I mentioned above, I wanted to make a Monotype Normal team that was different than other Monotype Normals. At first I used Pokemon that weren't used very often. This included Mega-Pidgeot, Snorlax, Heliolisk, and other Pokemon. I didn't like this team very much, as it felt too similar to the main Normal Teams, and I wanted something a lot different. I then began to think about other types, and what strategies they use that I've never seen Normal use before. I then thought of weather teams. I narrowed it down to rain at first. I used a rain dance Bibarel and a Dry Skin Heliolsik, but I felt like I didn't have enough Pokemon. I then turned to Terrains. I knew Oranguru knew Psychic Terrain, so I decided to build a team around that. As I was looking through Oranguru's move sets online, I noticed that Oranguru was used for Trick Room Teams in doubles. So, I knew it. A Trick Room Monotype Normal Team.

I wanted to do a Semi-Trick Room Team, or a Trick Room Team with Pokemon that can function outside of Trick Room. But, first I decided to get some Pokemon that can function and set up Trick Room. After messing around with Pokemon like Mega-Audino and Meloetta, I came too...
Porygon2
and Oranguru

These Pokemon I found to be the best Trick Room setters out there for Normal Monotype. Porygon2 has incredible defenses, allowing it to set up Trick Room multiple times. Oranguru can also be seen competitively setting up Trick Room for Doubles, but I wanted to see how it would fair in Singles. And, it does well.

Next, I needed Pokemon that could also function in Trick Room. After messing around with Snorlax and other Pokemon, I came too...
Komala
and Drampa

Komala was one of my favorite Pokemon to use in Pokemon Sun and Moon, and I was extremely happy that it fit into my Trick Room Team. I was also happy with Drampa. He is extremely cool looking, and he provides great coverage.

Finally, I needed Pokemon that could function outside of Trick Room. After messing around with Heliolisk and Mega-Pidgeot, I came too...
Mega-Lopunny
and Swellow

Mega-Lopunny and Swellow are extremely fast Pokemon. I found this to be useful, as these out speed most Pokemon unboosted, allowing for quick KO's at the beginning of a game, as well as late-game sweeping. Mega-Lopunny boasts 136 base Attack stat and 135 base Speed stat. Swellow also boasts an impressive 125 base Speed stat, making it the fastest Normal type not including Mega's or legendaries.

In-Depth Look

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam / Toxic / Frustration
- Recover

One of the teams Trick Room setter, as well as a wall similar to Porygon2 in regular Normal Monotype Teams. Sassy Nature and minimum IV's on Speed allows Porygon2 to be as fast as possible under Trick Room. The Special Defense is used to survive attacks such as Scald, set up Trick Room, and use Recover or Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. The rest is put into Defense to round out the bulk. Evolite is a must on Porygon2, in order to further increase it's bulk. Download is used to further increase it's Special Attack allowing it to OHKO Garchomp without Assault Vest. Replacing Ice Beam or Thunderbolt with Toxic or Frustration will allow Porygon2 to cripple opponents or allow the increase in Attack stat from Download to be useful.

Oranguru @ Mental Herb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 20 SpA / 96 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Psychic Terrain
/ Foul Play / Instruct
- Protect

The second Trick Room setter on the team. It should be noted that this team can work as a Doubles Normal Monotype. In that case, Psychic Terrain or Foul Play should be replaced with Instruct. The moves are self-explanatory. Psychic for basic STAB attack. Psychic Terrain is used to increase Psychic's power and make priority moves useless such as Sucker Punch and Aqua Jet, which would allow threats such as Bisharp and Azumarill to move before my team, even in Trick Room. Foul Play can be used instead of Psychic Terrain to hit Alolan Marowak and other Physical Attackers hard. Protect is used to scout and allow High Jump Kickers to take damage. Mental Herb is used to prevent Taunt from shutting down most of Oranguru moves, and EV's are used to maximize bulk and minimize speed. These EV's allow Oranguru to survive Flare Blitz from maximum Attack Thick Club Alolan Marowak and an unboosted Bug Buzz from a maximum Special Attack Vikavolt. A Relaxed Nature may be used, but I personally like the increase in Special Defense. Leftover EV's are put into Special Attack in order to strengthen Psychic.

Drampa @ Life Orb
Ability: Berserk / Cloud Nine
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature

- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Focus Blast
- Protect

Drampa, an impressively powerful Pokemon. It boasts a powerful 135 Special Attack, which is nothing most Pokemon want to take. It's only drawback, is it's speed. Which, lucky for us, means it gets to go first while under the effects of Trick Room. Drampa also has a massive move pool, allowing to run multiple sets. It can abuse rain, using Hurricane, Surf and Thunder. You can run a Calm Mind set and Drampa has reliable recovery with Roost. Hyper Voice and Draco Meteor are for DualStabs, and Flamethrower or Fire Blast is used to counter Ice types that threaten Drampa, and in order to hit Mimikyu, which otherwise walls this set. Focus Blast can also be used. EV's are used to maximize staying power and Special Attack power.

Komala @ Normalium Z
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Frustration
- Play Rough / Earthquake
- Stockpile
- Rapid Spin
/ Bulk Up

As I mentioned earlier, Komala is one of my favorite Pokemon to use in Sun and Moon. And I was delighted to find out Komala was viable for competitive play! This set is used to get rid of hazards with Rapid Spin, while still making Komala dangerous with Stockpile. Stockpile, along with Normalium Z, allows Komala to get a stat boost and heal himself to full health! Play Rough and Frustration are used for coverage and STAB. Bulk Up can be used over Rapid Spin to further increase Defense and Attack, but you allow Stealth Rocks, Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Sticky Webs to come up. Earthquake can be used for coverage over Play Rough. EV's are used to maximize staying power so Komala can set up Stockpile and use Normalium Z.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration

- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
/ Ice Punch

Lopunny, our teams Physical Attacker that can function outside of Trick Room, and our Mega Evolution. Mega Lopunny boasts an impressive 136 Attack and 135 Speed, allowing it to hit hard and hit fast. 136 Attack, is something not many Pokemon want to take. We take advantage of this huge Attack stat, and use the STAB's Fake Out, Frustration and High Jump Kick. I use Power-Up Punch to further increase the Attack stat, or I use Ice Punch for coverage against Flying Monotypes. EV's are used to maximize Attacking power and Speed.

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

- Boomburst

- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash

Swellow, our last, but not least, addition to the team. Swellow is our teams Special Attacker that can function outside of Trick Room. Swellow boasts an impressive 125 base speed, out speeding Mega-Pidgeot. Swellow has access to a very powerful Special Attack move: Boomburst. Boomburst has a power of 140, has 100% accuracy, and hits behind Substitute. Scrappy allows Swellow to spam Boomburst, even against Ghost types. Heat Wave hits Steel types hard that resist Boomburst, while Air Slash hits Fighting types that resist Boomburst. U-turn is used to scout. EV's are used to maximize Boomburst power and allow Swellow to hit first.

Matchups

Bug
This Normal Monotype Team can take care of Bug Monotype Teams with little problem if you play the team correctly. Drampa under Trick Room and Swellow can take out most Pokemon, notably Scizor, Heracross, Galvantula and Volcarona. Drampa and Swellow have a little trouble though with Armaldo, as Armaldo isn't weak to Fire or Flying.

Dark
This Monotype Team is relatively easy to take on thanks to Mega Lopunny. Mega Lopunny out speeds most Pokemon, including Greninja. For Mandibuzz who would otherwise stop Lopunny in her traps, Porygon2 has access to Ice Beam which would hit Mandibuzz as well as Hydreigon. If they are running Alolan Muk, Earthquake Komala counters them.

Dragon
This Monotype Team counters Dragon Monotype Teams hard. Porygon2 has access to Ice Beam, shutting down most Dragon's, except Kyurem-Black. For this, Drampa or Komala under Trick Room can shut Kyurem-Black with Draco Meteor or Play Rough respectively.

Electric
This Monotype Battle is relatively even, as this team lacks Diggersby. Also, there isn't an Electric-Fighting type Pokemon quite yet, so Electric has no advantage over this team. The only advantage our team has is when Komala is running Earthquake over Play Rough.

Fairy
Normal fairs against Fairy similar to Electric without Diggersby. It's even. Also, similar to Electric, running Earthquake on Komala allows you to hit Diancie and Tapu Koko hard. Flamethrower from Drampa hits Tapu Bulu and Klefki. Thunderbolt from Porygon2 hits Azumarill.

Fighting
Fighting Monotypes gives this team a difficult time. Terrakion keeps Swellow from just clicking Air Slash, and Scrafty/Pangoro keeps Oranguru from clicking Psychic. Mega Lopunny can damage both of those Pokemon with a High Jump Kick. Mega Medicham or Mega Lopunny can out speed most of this teams Pokemon and spam High Jump Kick. In this case, Oranguru and Drampa both have Protect in order to cause damage to those High Jump Kickers.

Fire
This team has a slight advantage over Fire Monotype Teams. Swellow hits Volcarona and Infernape hard. Thunderbolt from Porygon2 and Draco Meteor from Drampa hits Charizard Y and Charizard X respectively. Running Earthquake Komala hits all Pokemon hard like Torkoal, except Charazard, Charazard Y, and Air Balloon Heatran.

Flying
BoltBeam from Porygon2 is your best ally against Flying Monotype Teams. Hitting Landorus Therian, Charizard Y, Skarmory, Zapdos, Mantine, Gliscor, and other common Flying Pokemon.

Ghost
Ghost and Normal. Natural enemies. The supernatural, and the natural. Luckily for us naturals, we have a little advantage. Scrappy. Both Mega Lopunny and Swellow have Scrappy, allowing High Jump Kick and Boomburst to have an effect.

Grass
This team has little to no trouble against Grass Monotypes. Drampa and Swellow effectively counter most/all grass types. The only thing Drampa struggles against is Thick Fat Venusaur, and Swellow struggles against Cradily. Swellow can take care of Thick Fat Venusaur, and Mega Lopunny can take care of Cradily.

Ground
Porygon2 wrecks Ground Teams. Hitting Pokemon like Garchomp, Landorus Therian and Hippowdon hard. Drampa hits Pokemon like Excadrill that resists Porygon2's Ice Beam.

Ice
Mega Lopunny destroys Ice Teams. Using High Jump Kick destroyed most Ice Monotype Teams. It only struggles against Alolan Ninetails. Drampa in Trick Room can burn most Ice Types, including Alolan Ninetails, only struggling from Lapras.

Normal
This Monotype can be taken care of, depending on the build. Most of the Pokemon, Mega Lopunny can take care of with High Jump Kick. Others, like Staraptor, Mega Pidgeot and other Swellow's, Porygon2 can take care of with Ice Beam or Thunderbolt. Chansey isn't a threat thanks to Mega Lopunny, and other Porygon2's aren't a threat thanks to Komala and his ability, Comatose, negating Toxic.

Poison
This Monotype is similar to Grass, as this team can take care of it with little trouble. Oranguru under Psychic Terrain and Trick Room can easily knock out half of the team once Drapion and Alolan Muk is gone. If Komala is running Earthquake instead of Play Rough, then Komala can also take them down since Toxic won't effect Komala. Mega Lopunny can also take down Drapion and Alolan Muk with High Jump Kick fairly easily.

Psychic
This team has no real way of countering Psychic Monotype Teams. Yet, Porygon2 can counter Latios with Ice Beam. Swellow can out speed most Psychic types, excluding Mega Alakazam, which even out speeds Mega Lopunny. For Mega Alakazam, trying to get Trick Room up and send in Drampa for Draco Meteor, is the best way to counter Alakazam.

Rock
Normal Monotype Teams struggle against Rock, since Rock resist Normal, and we don't have Diggersby on our team. Running Earthquake Komala hits most Rock Types effectively, and Mega Lopunny hits most threats hard. Yet, Mega Diancie and Shuckle both stop Mega Lopunny in her tracks.

Steel
This team, although Steel resists Normal, actually has a better chance when facing Steel than Rock. This is because Drampa has access to Flamethrower, Komala can use Earthquake, Mega Lopunny can use High Jump Kick, and Swellow can use Heatwave. These moves combined effectively hit almost all Steel Types.

Water
Porygon2 effectively hits most Water Types with Thunderbolt, yet Mega Swampert stops Porygon2 from using Thunderbolt. Swellow hits Swampert hard with Boomburst and Keldeo hard with Air Slash. Drampa can also hit Kingdra hard with Draco Meteor.

Other Notes

This team is very difficult to learn and hard to use. Yet, once you get it down, this team is very difficult to beat. Depending on what Monotype Team I'm facing, I'll either lead with Mega Lopunny or Swellow, or lead with Oranguru or Porygon2. Overall, this was a really fun team to create and a really fun team to use! For those who read all the way through, thanks for reading my first post!

Oranguru @ Mental Herb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Def / 96 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Psychic Terrain
- Protect

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash

Komala @ Normalium Z
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Return
- Play Rough
- Stockpile
- Rapid Spin

Drampa @ Life Orb
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Dark
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotypesuspecttest-649046781

This replay shows how powerful Mega Lopunny is against Dark Monotype Teams, only being shut down by Krookodile's Intimidate and Greninja. For Greninja, I used Porygon2's defenses to tank a hit and set up Trick Room, allowing my Pokemon to go first.

Grass
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotypesuspecttest-649028561

This shows how effective this team deals with Grass Monotype Teams. Swellow and Drampa hit most Pokemon hard with Air Slash and Fire Blast respectively. For Mega Venusaur, Earthquake Komala and Psychic Oranguru can be used.

Ice
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotypesuspecttest-649005518

This replay shows how effective Mega Lopunny destroys Ice Type Pokemon, including Alolan Ninetails, after a Power-Up Punch.

Poison
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotypesuspecttest-649035881

This replay shows how effective Oranguru under Trick Room OHKO's most Pokemon on Poison Monotypes. Remember to watch out for Drapion, which luckily I was able to KO on turn 3.

Rock
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotypesuspecttest-649038825
This replay shows how effect Mega Lopunny is after a Power-Up Punch against Rock Monotype Teams, even OHKOing Mega Diancie with a High Jump Kick.

Steel
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotypesuspecttest-649015567

This replay shows how effective Mega Lopunny can sweep Steel Monotype Teams, even though I didn't use her all the way through and she missed while High Jump Kicking. This also points out how effective Drampa's Fire Blast and Swellow's Heat Wave are against these teams.
Hopefully this is enough replays for those trying to understand my play style better. If more is needed or a replay is needed for a matchup against each type, then I will be happy to provide! Also, if any of the links are wrong or are links to the wrong type, I will be happy to fix those for you.

Attachments

Last edited:
Welcome to Smogon!

I really like the team! I’m happy you came back to monotype. As a supernatural player, I feel like I haven’t had too tough a time with normal, but this archetype I would struggle with.
Suggestions-
*Always run Frustration at 0 happiness instead of return, as this amounts to the same amount of power, but is imposter proof, as ditto doesn’t copy happiness.
*Why are you running Psychic Terrain on Oranguru? You should possibly run something like Foul Play to take out Physical Attackers like Marowak-Alola. Good point.
*Are you familiar with slashing? If two moves are neck and neck with your willingness to run, you should slash them. For example, on Drampa, you should put Fire Blast / Flamethrower. On the importable, put Fire blast.

All changes are made at your discretion. I hope the team brings you success and you have fun with Monotype!

-Magikingdra

Also, adding replays would give us an idea of your play style, and allow us to help more.

Oh, and that is totally how I felt about it when I got my first RMT done. It's fine, just giving what I got. :)

Last edited:
Welcome to Smogon!

I really like the team! I’m happy you came back to monotype. As a supernatural player, I feel like I haven’t had too tough a time with normal, but this archetype I would struggle with.
Suggestions-
*Always run Frustration at 0 happiness instead of return, as this amounts to the same amount of power, but is imposter proof, as ditto doesn’t copy happiness.
*Why are you running Psychic Terrain on Oranguru? You should possibly run something like Foul Play to take out Physical Attackers like Marowak-Alola.
*Are you familiar with slashing? If two moves are neck and neck with your willingness to run, you should slash them. For example, on Drampa, you should put Fire Blast / Flamethrower. On the importable, put Fire blast.
*More changes later

All changes are made at your discretion. I hope the team brings you success and you have fun with Monotype!

-Magikingdra

Also, adding replays would give us an idea of your play style, and allow us to help more.
Magikingdra, thanks for taking the time to read my post and help me!

First: Thanks for the tip on running Frustration over Return. Ditto is a nuisance for this team, as Imposter allows Ditto to run well in Trick Room, shutting down most of my team. Hopefully using Frustration on Komala, Mega Lopunny and Porygon2 will help stop that.

Second: I would like to address that the reason I'm running Psychic Terrain, is because Psychic Terrain allows Oranguru to hit harder with Psychic, and negates Priority Moves such as Sucker Punch, Extreme Speed, Aqua Jet, etc from working, which would allow threats as Bisharp and Azumarill from moving before my Pokemon even in Trick Room. I'll try out Foul Play and see if it helps me against those pesky set-up sweepers.

Third: Thanks for the idea of slashing and using Fire Blast on Drampa over Flamethrower. I'll make sure to edit that in.

Fourth: Now you're making me feel foolish for not adding replays :). I'll make sure to edit in as well.

Thanks again Magikingdra for taking the time out of your day to read my post and help me!

Also, I love your line about you being a supernatural player. Makes me know that you actually read through the whole post.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)