Monotype Teambuilding Competition V2 Cycle 16 - Infernape + Fletchinder [Voting Stage]

Status
Not open for further replies.
<insert MS Paint banner here for free likes>

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Recover

Roserade @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Toxic Spikes
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Extrasensory

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

When I started, the first thing I knew was that I could probably drop Grass STAB on Mega Venusaur. With Roserade and potentially Tangrowth running it, I could use greater coverage on Mega Venusaur, which would allow me to put the hurt on Steel teams (as much as I could at least). I opted for a physically defensive spread to help take on attackers that really are quite troubling, such as Mega Scizor and Choice Scarf Heracross. The Speed investment allows me to outspeed Skarmory, to pressure it with Hidden Power Fire, and happily also randomly puts me above Thundurus with Chlorophyll active for the very niche case.

Ferrothorn and Cradily are standard. Just the defensive core all Grass teams really ought to run. Provides necessary entry hazard support and checks a lot of threats with their status moves.

With the most important Grass-types out of the way, I wanted to put in Roserade. Toxic Spikes support is unbelievably good in Monotype, and I knew that was something I'd definitely use. Hidden Power Rock with Technician will always OHKO Mega Charizard Y, which Focus Sash helps to enable. Extrasensory is useful for taking on Fighting-types, as Roserade's good typing helps it survive one hit from a lot of them. Leaf Storm is just for STAB.

Next I added the other half of the core: Tangrowth. I opted for a physically defensive spread alongside Rocky Helmet to give me another nice check to physical attackers. For example, it can switch into Mega Medicham's Fake Out and still take a High Jump Kick, which forces it out. Tangrowth is a really reliable check to Excadrill, as few Grass-types can switch into a Choice Band Excadril's Earthquake or Iron Head. I really liked Sleep Powder and Knock Off utility, so those were easy additions. For the third moveslot, I like the utility of Leech Seed, but Hidden Power Fire just might be more necessary to take on Mega Scizor. 56 Special Defense EVs lets Tangrowth survive one Lava Plume from defensive Heatran and hit back hard with Earthquake.

My last Pokemon is, perhaps surprisingly, not Breloom. I wanted Speed control, something the team dearly lacked, but I also didn't want to just use a Choice Scarf user that would probably just lack damage. It also didn't help that I already had Sleep Powder on Tangrowth, meaning Spore's utility isn't nearly as valuable anymore. So, I opted for what seemed to be the obvious choice: Serperior. I specifically wanted to run SubSeed Serperior, as Serperior forces many switches and Substitute + Leech Seed helps me actually beat Chansey + Porygon2 when in conjunction with Leaf Storm's absurd damage, as I now don't have Breloom to do so. Hidden Power Fire is just obligatory anti-Grass-type coverage, since they resist Leaf Storm and are immune to Leech Seed. It also hits Mega Scizor, which is always nice.

Oh yeah, I considered lowering Serperior's Speed to 352, since obviously there's nothing to outspeed at 353 or 355 right? Luckily I actually know my Speed tiers and am not a horrible battler and Pokemon player, so I know that Thundurus is at 353 and Scolipede is at 355. Bullet avoided! :)

Overall, had a blast building this team. Obviously I'm not going to say it's on the level of standard Grass, but I really enjoy using seriously underrated Pokemon and building ideas. I heard some people that completely had no teambuilding capabilities and couldn't wrap their heads around this core at all complaining about this. Had to give it a shot after that. This core was actually pretty fun to mess with, since I played with Toxic Spikes Roserade in the past, so adding in Tangrowth was an interesting challenge. At the very least, I'd say both Pokemon and the core itself are more viable than completely outclassed and unviable Pokemon like Furfrou, Escavalier, and Mega Latios. I guess I can't blame people who consistently make horrible cores and teams that lack immunities for no longer being able to recognize a usable core. Thanks for the fun!

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
im fast with it

edit: sniped by eien

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Synthesis
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Switcheroo
- Moonblast
- Nature Power
- Hurricane

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

Breloom @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Spore

Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

So I started off with the core of roserade and tangrowth as thats what we have to build round. I started with the roserade set and i knew i was gonna go with scarf or hazards. I thought i wanted to go more of a balance route, so i put on special defensive spikes, as that complimented tangrowth better than a scarf set as it allowed tangrowth to help form a nice defensive core with it. I then added specs whimsi to abuse spikes and also act as a revenge killer and able to cripple some fat mons with switcheroo or just bop stuff. I then added breloom because it really helps with the bug and steel matchups and can act as a cleaner and sweeper with the SD set. Finally i added mega venu to round out the balanced part of the team and act as another reliable fat mon which can help tangrowth and roserade wall stuff.

Alright, gonna join that as well ;)

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Cradily @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rock Slide
- Recover

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Encore
- Stun Spore

Roserade @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Extrasensory
- Toxic Spikes
- Giga Drain

Unlike most of the people above, I decided so start with what I thought it was essential for every Grass team: The Ferrothorn + Mega-Venusaur core. It basically covers a large number of issues and problems Grass teams have in general, thanks to the amount of neutralities that are given by both Pokemon. I decided to go with the classic steel-breaker Mega-Venusaur set, but with Giga Drain instead of Sludge Bomb so it handles Air Balloon threats like Heatran better, and also because Roserade is adding Poison coverage against Fairy teams. Cradily is also a staple and is there to provide hazard support as well as to serve as a great special wall, and to act as an useful check to several pokemons that the core has trouble handling, most notably Hydreigon, Mega-Pidgeot, Togekiss, Charizard-Y and Volcarona.

Next, I went out for the suggested core, and I actually decided to have Tangrowth taking more of a defensive approach with Assault Vest, which increases its weaker special side and allows it to sponge hits more effectively. Thanks to its sole Grass typing, it is able to check several threats that previously mentioned pokemon can't wall effectively, incluiding Psychic mons with STAB + Fighting coverage like Meloetta and Alakazam, as well as dangerous threats like Mega-Garchomp, Landorus-I, and Hoopa-Unbound. Kncok Off is there for taking down physically weak Psychic mons and has the added utility of taking the opponent's item, which is great if your opponent is losing their damage boosting item like Life Orb or a great defensive item in Eviolite. Earthquake hits Magnezone and Heatran should its air balloon be taken off, especially given it can survive Lava Plume with this special defense set from non-offense variants. Hidden Power Ice helps against Dragons like Garchomp and Dragonite, and Giga Drain is there for extra STAB as well as for providing nice recovery, which's also appreciated.

Roserade works as a decent status-absorber thanks to Natural Cure, as well as providing decent offensive pressure towards Fairy-typed mons with Sludge Bomb. Toxic Spikes is an additional hazard that works well against staller teams (notably Normal Monotype), and adds to Grass teams the ability to take hits more effectively while stilll dishing out decent damage to the opposing side. Extrasensory checks Poison types, since this team lacks reliable Psychic attackers to check them, and Giga Drain is a STAB that hits Ground and Water typed mons hard, as well as providing nice recovery.

Whimsicott was my last choice for this team, and for a good reason: The team heavily appreciates the ability to check setup sweepers that this team has. Encore and Stun Spore are there to serve this purpose and to check faster threats like Mega-Pinsir, Moonblast gives some more help against Dragon and dangerous Fighting threats like Mega-Gallade and Mega-Medicham, and Psychic easens Poison matchups and helps taking out Gengar when Roserade isn't enough.

Last edited:
Ok I'm gonna give this a shot lol, about to be terrible. Don't hurt me!

Roserade @ Choice Scarf
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Sludge Bomb

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Cradily @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Toxic

EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Stun Spore
- Encore
- Giga Drain

When originally approaching this team I had considered the hazard stack route with a TSpiker Rade, but having decided that the team had very little offensive pressure I decided to try scarf tech, with Storm as a nuke, and Sludge Bomb as reliable STAB. HP Rock with Tech OHKO's ZardY, and Shadow Ball is to hit Psychic types which might otherwise harass M. Venusaur.
Ferrothorn here is used as a spiker and also switchin for Ice, with Gyro Ball being the STAB of choice, seed for some modest recovery, and protect for scouting and more seed recovery.
Cradily fits on the team as the rocker and works as a soft check for ZardY, being able to live one Focus Blast and KO back with Rock Slide.
Defensive Mega Venusaur pairs well with Ferrothorn and is the go-to mega for Grass, the set is pretty standard here aside from Knock Off- which may be substituted for HP Fire if desired.
AV Tangrowth is used on this team to take some special hits that Ferro, Venu, or Cradily may not want to, and also carries HP Ice to help a bit against birds.
Lastly, Whimsicott is on this team to do what Whimsi does best, annoy setup with Encore, speed control with TWave, and help the Dragon matchup a tad with Pixie Plate Moonblast.

v1.0: http://pastebin.com/kZ9n198h (Thanks to 6ti and Dece1t for some edits/opinions)

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Roserade @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Giga Drain

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Breloom @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

When first looking at the team I thought I would use a physically defensive rocky helmet however taking a closer look I decided to use tangrowth as a specially defensive coverage pokemon seeing as Breloom and Roserade has access to sleep inducing moves. Rock Slide was to help Tangrowth deal with annoying Pokemon such as Charizard Y and Volcarona which usually threaten the grass monotype. HP Ice allows tangrowth to deal with pokemon such as Landorus and Garchomp also bulkier Flying, Ground and Dragon monotypes. Knock Off is one of the best moves in the game as it allows you to remove items from the opposing teams such as Choice Items and Life Orb while also hitting one of the most spammed types in monotype, psychic. Leaf Storm is strong grass type coverage which can help tangrowth hit a wide range of the metagame for a large amount of damage while also being great coverage for the water and ground monotypes.

Roserade was quite an interesting pokemon to fit on the team as its very limiting on the grass monotype as Mega Venusaur shares the same typing and is mandatory on the grass monotype. After taking a closer look at Roserades moveset it seemed like a good Offensive Spikes stacking pokemon on grass which can help pokemon such as Breloom sweep through the opposing team in late game. Sleep Powder is to give Roserade more time to setup spikes and get off damage on the opposing team or supporting its team by switching into Swords Dance Breloom. Sludge Bomb was used mostly over Sludge Wave to get the 30% poison chance and Leaf Storm used over Giga Drain to help Grass immediately punish the opponent as well as Roserade not being able to utilize Giga Drain well due to its lack of natural bulk.

Mega Venusaur being a great addition to the grass monotype with its fantastic natural bulk as well as being able to take less damage from supereffective Fire and Ice type attacks. Venusaur is forced to run a mixed defensive set due to this team lack of Cradily this allows Venusaur to act as a good specially defensive pokemon in its place. HP Fire is used to hit Bulky Steel tyoes that Venusaur and Grass teams have a hard time hitting and cause trouble for many grass teams. Sludge Bomb can be taken advantage of its great 30% chance to poison the foe ans Venusaurs natural Bulk is fantastic with its ability to recover 1/2 their HP with Giga Drain and to pressure the opposing teams while slowly chipping damage of them due to residual poison damage.

Whimsicott is a great addition on Grass monotypes as it allows Grass to have a Dragon immunity amd an overall great ability to stop setup sweepers through its access to Prankster encore which forces a switch and can help you gain momentum. Whimsicott has access to Stun Spore which is the next best way to paralyze the opposing Pokemon and to give the team more of a chance to setup, recover off damage or gain momentum in a match. Moonblast is mainly used to hit pesky Dragon monotypes which usually threaten grass while also being able to hit Fighting and Dark type pokemon for supereffective damage. Giga Drain is used on Whimsicott as it allows Whimsicott to recover off damage taken from the Life orb which can easily wear down its ability to check setup sweepers and dragon types.

Ferrothorn on grass i usually use to stack spikes on grass as Ceadily and ut made a nice defensive hazard stacking core but Cradily wasn't on the team and as the next best Stealth Rock i gave it access to the move. Leech Seed and Protect were given to Ferrothorn to help it quickly recover off damage while sapping health from the foes team. This is also a great way tosupport the opposing team by giving it access to turn by turn recovery through seeding the opponent. Finally since the team has an abundance of grass coverage i opted to use Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn as it is generally already really slow and can take advantage of gyro balls mechanics and can help deal with annoying Ice and Fairy pokemon such as Kyurem Black and Diancie.

Since Tangrowth has access to rock type coverage Breloom could run the fantastic Spore Dance set which allows Breloom to act as a great sweeper with even access to priority moves like Mach Punch. Breloom works as the teams main win condition as it acts as the teams main offensive presence and can easily break through walls that grass has trouble woth generally. Bullet Seed helps Breloom take advantage of its ability Techinican which boosts Bullet Seeds base power by 1.5x making each seed very strong and with a chance to hit 2-5 times it is more reliable than Seed Bomb and can break through Pokemon with sashes. Mach Punch is a great form of prioroty that allows it to easily punch holes through opposing teams.

Last edited:
Time to start voting!
Eien Team
dusk raimon Team
juleocesar Team
ChildOfDisorder Team
The Excadrill Team

Remember, vote for two and don't vote for yourself!
Voting deadline: 10/20
I vote for Eien and ChildOfDisorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)